Upcoming TJ's Birthday...

General TJ stuff
delphiekat
Super Fan

Upcoming TJ's Birthday...

Post by delphiekat »

Hello everyone!

I’m new around here, but the first thing I noticed on this board is how friendly and dynamic everybody seems to be! With TJ’s birthday coming up, it got me thinking: how could we use all this positive energy to surprise him?

And an answer came to me in the form of a new question: why not show TJ how much we love him by doing something special for our environment and letting him know about it?

What do you think?

Of course, I’m not saying that we should create a whole new forest, or sell our cars immediately, that wouldn’t make sense, but there are tiny things we could do in our everyday life that would make TJ proud!

Like what? Switch to a green laundry detergent... Buy local and support the farmers’ market… Instead of avoiding it, pick up the crushed soda can on the sidewalk and place it in the recycling bin… Donate an old dictionary to a local school… Offer old tapes and DVD to a hospital for bed-ridden patients… Stop the car’s motor when you are waiting for someone… Set up a cans recycling program at work… Anything!

Wouldn’t it be fun to post all our accomplishments here? I got some time on my hands, so I offer to arrange them in a nice setup, and Sharon would make sure TJ gets it…

Anyone interested?

Any idea?

Any comments?

Hoping to read you soon!

Kat
word count: 249

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Upcoming TJ's Birthday...

Post by kayleigh_marie »

This sounds like a great idea, Kat.
Recently, my family just switched all the lights in the house to more energy efficient lighting, so we're stepping in the right direction.

I think this is a wonderful idea, every little bit we can do for our environment, right?
word count: 48
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

delphiekat
Super Fan

Post by delphiekat »

Excellent example! It doesn't have to be complicated, but just show TJ that we care!
word count: 16

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

i read this idea this morning... then tonight when I was at the store, i bought eco t.p.
and I imagined sending you a picture of the tp to put with this project.

:-)

Llama
word count: 35

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I'm sorry but I thought Vero posted on here yesterday, what happened to it? :?: :?
word count: 15
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

delphiekat
Super Fan

Post by delphiekat »

Wow Llama, that's great! An easy step that can go a long way!

Is it me, or there was a post yesterday that disappeared? :shock: I think it was from Cutenebulla (sorry, I'm not good with the names) and it had tons of wonderful ideas!!! It's a shame it's gone, you seem to think a lot "greener" than I do and I'm sure people would love your insight!

Please, keep the ideas coming!

To make sure this reaches TJ in time for his birthday, please post your ideas before Feb.22 (2010!) and it will be included in the document!

Also, let me know if you want to include your name...

And if you want to make my life easier, you can always write it down the way you want it to appear :lol: Example: "With my friends, instead of going on a shopping spree this winter, we've decided to trade clothes. Result: nothing ended up in the trash, not even a scarf! Kat" Or "I traded my laundry detergent for an environment-friendly one. Kathy Doe"

I hope to read you soon!

Kat
word count: 188

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote:I'm sorry but I thought Vero posted on here yesterday, what happened to it? :?: :?
I know! Me too! Can everyone please keep an eye out for any more disappearing posts? I certainly haven't deleted anything, by accident or design, and it's a shame to lose a thoughtful post like Véro's. Could be a board glitch that I need to sort out.
word count: 68
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Strange.. I'm also curious.. :?:

Steph, will keep my eyes open. As far as I know it's only possible to delete your own post..

Btw.. Kat.. great idea you have.. unfortunately I can't think of anything good to contribute with. But if I think of someting I'll let you know.

Hanne
word count: 54

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

Sorry!!!

I've deleted my own post... To be honest I thought it was sounding fatuous and pompous and I needed to erase it.

Now I realise you read it and you seemed to enjoy what was mentionned in it, so I can rewrite it here.

Well, like I first said, it's a very good idea and I already try to be as green as possible :)

I'm using indian nuts for my laundry, 100% natural, no pollution and your clothes are really soft :)

For the shower, I'm using Alep soap, 100% natural, very soft for the skin and you can use it for the hairs too. As for a conditionner: old grandma receipe = cider vinegar. Very shiny and soft hair (and you don't smell like a salad, really!)

I'm also using low energy bulbs, and to clean the house: bicarbonate and vinegar or some green detergent.

Each year I also try to participate to a cleaning program with a group of volounteers. We chose a place such as a river, beach, forest, etc and we clear it from anything that has been thrown by neglected people.

I also recycle bottles (plastic and glass), papers, cans, and try to recycle my vegies remains for my garden. I collect a part of rain water to water my garden.

And I'm dreaming about planting a new forest :D

I think it was what I wrote, it's late right now and I may not remember everything...

Sorry once again I didn't want to worry any of you about disappearing posts, it was just my bad habit of wondering about... well, you know ;)

Véro

Ps: I love your idea Kat, really :)
word count: 284
The waffle conspiracy...

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Vero it was a great post! Glad you put it back!
word count: 11
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

:wink: Thanks a lot :)
word count: 3
The waffle conspiracy...

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

A bit off-topic, but Sara(my sister) shares TJ's birthday
hahaha, I love it.
word count: 16

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Not offtopic according to the thread title!
Mine's the day before!
word count: 12

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

That's awesome (: Mine's in August. Haha.
I feel I've been a bit... Fisher-y lately. Haha.
I apologize.
word count: 21

delphiekat
Super Fan

Post by delphiekat »

Hello again,

I've worked on a draft for the design... what do you think?

Now, all we need are ideas to fill the little frames :lol: And if needed, don't worry, I can add a lot more!

Ok, now let's try to add a picture...

word count: 47

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

The problem with this completely brilliant idea is that if you are green aware it's very hard to think of something special to do JUST for TJ's birthday. We use the low energy light bulbs, sort and recycle all our rubbish, foodstuffs separately to be composted, use environmentally friendly cosmetics, use electricity as sensibly as possible...

I am a complete fiend about recycling card and paper; as a teacher I am ashamed of the amount of stationery that gets wasted. I always recycle wrapping paper, packaging and envelopes; and my greetings cards are almost all handmade recyclings from ones I have received.

I think I am going to make an effort to walk more than I do already. I don't have an excuse for cadging lifts as work is only round the corner!
word count: 136

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

Let's see.... I always use cold water when washing my laundry, I'm making the change to the low-energy bulbs, the TP I use is from 100% recycled paper, I recycle everything I can, I keep the temp set to 65 & have blankets over all my windows/doors to try to use less electricity.

I'm also considering making the switch to cloth menstrual pads (regular ones create a LOT of trash), but I'm not sure that TJ wants to hear about that! :P LOL
word count: 87
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

delphiekat
Super Fan

Post by delphiekat »

Hello Everyone!

It's already the final stretch for this project! :D

TJ's birthday is in less than three weeks, and to make sure he gets his present on time, we'll have to be quick! :techie-hourglass: (gosh, I never realised there were so many smilies!! :confusion-seeingstars: )

A couple questions for you first...

1. How do you like the draft I posted last week? If it's okay, the final project will be based on this template...

2. What would be the best size for this? 8" x 10" or 11" x 14"? It doesn't make a huge difference for the printing and shipping fees, it just depends what size you think would be better...

I see that a lot of people are already very "green"! So maybe we can change the question a little... Did he inspire you to change some of your habits, to make you a little "greener"? It doesn't matter if you haven't done something just for his birthday... Maybe we can even stretch that to eco-actions you've taken that doesn't have anything to do with TJ, but you'd be proud to share and let him know you care?

Now, my suggestion... We start over, you post your actions again in some kind of quote, and I can add them to the document... Include your name the way to want it to appear, and why not a short birthday greeting for TJ? But please keep it short :P No more than three lines - total - as they appear in this forum, or we'll have to turn this into a poster-size Okay? :wink:

And finally, the dreaded deadline :arrow: February 24, 20:00 EST, to make sure it gets printed, packed and shipped on time...

What do you think???

:?: :) :?:
word count: 295

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I think this is a lovely idea, but sadly, TJ really hasn't inspired me to be any greener than I already am. It's not even something I particularly associate with him.

He has inspired me to do volunteer work at my local community theatre. If you wanted to expand your idea to just "Ways that he's inspired us" or "Things he's inspired us to do" then I suppose you could include that, but since I really haven't changed my green habits due to him, I think it might be disingenuous to put my name & habits on your poster. Sorry. :?
word count: 104
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I don't know that TJ has inspired me to be particularly "green" either, which is why I hadn't posted yet. Wasn't sure I could actually mention anything I do because of TJ in that regard. We have recycled what we could (prior to a recycling program here in the city) for as long as I can remember. Once the program started we of course became very conscious of recycling in that way. I will admit, I think I started washing clothes in cold water around the time of TJ's little 'green' spot on FOX but I don't remember seeing it on TV. LOL

TJ has inspired me though, to attempt to be more positive in my outlook on life in general and see how it can spread (the Validation effect), and I have to admit, while I don't think I was ever always a negative person, taking the time to think about my attitude has made a huge difference in my day to day life and I think those around me, at least I think so :)

Sharon
word count: 183