Site Development and Issues

General TJ stuff
begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Site Development and Issues

Post by begolden »

As you may have noticed, this forum has been spammed. Apparently, there is no moderator to take care of the problem, so I sent a message that will hopefully get to the site administrator. I feel like we're all on an uninhabited island without a leader, sort of like "Lord of the Flies." So, let's all band together and take an oath not to respond to obvious spamming, shall we? Hopefully TPTB on this site will delete the post and find a moderator.
word count: 85
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Good point; I sent a message ages ago requesting that something be done about the colour scheme here cos of the not showing quotes unless they are in colour, and also mentioned the possibility of making the Links and Spoiler threads sticky as they are the kind of thing people like for reference. For all of which we need moderator help. No response! Hello out there, are you with us?
word count: 70

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

......oh and another thought...we will be at the stage where we could be splitting up in to different forums soon. 'Talk TJ' is nice and general, but we could maybe have a Welcome forum where everyone could be encouraged to stop by and say hi so they could be properly greeted (where all the 'hello' threads could go) and a Bones forum where all the Jack and Angela stuff could be kept. Oh, the anal, alphabetising mind of a person who moderates elsewhere...
word count: 84

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

All good ideas, ladies! I wonder if there is a moderator or not ... or whether we could perhaps nominate one of ourselves (or share the duty), since some of us are here daily... :)
word count: 33

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah. Spam has disappeared, as has spammer off memberlist. Someone is there. *Cyberwave* and thanks to Someone.
word count: 17

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Yes! Thank you, Mystery Administrator, for deleting the spam and taking the offending party off the memberlist. We truly appreciate it!
word count: 21

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

But I see they are back. Now this could get really bad if not dealt with now. I drop in occasionally on another board which got completely bogged down with junk and it stopped people visiting. I don't know the ins and outs, but they got rid of it with a change of settings, and it should be possible to do this here too. Let's hope so.
word count: 69

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

I have just seen what looks like a spam to me.Is that the 2nd one?
word count: 16

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yes, we had one yesterday and this kids' games one is new. Completely ignore it and make sure it goes to the bottom of the list until it gets removed.
word count: 30

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

Wasn't online yesterday but thanks for the coment.No problem I was planning to ignore it on principle!!!!
word count: 19

saburcat
Fan

Post by saburcat »

I wondered why someone on this board would want to post about children's games. I wonder, since this is TJ's "Official Website" if it was just turned over to the web developer and left or what. Or who from TJ's team would be updating information, pics, etc. I don't know the first thing about moderating or administrating, I'm lucky I can post without blowing up the system.

Weez
word count: 73
Imagination is more important than knowledge ~Einstein
But without knowledge, what kind of imagination will you have? ~me

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

You and me both sweetie :twisted: But I am getting better so don't give up hope.And we are very kind and don't shout at people when they make an error.

See we have two more this morning.
word count: 39

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

saburcat wrote: I don't know the first thing about moderating or administrating, I'm lucky I can post without blowing up the system.

Weez
Administrating, no, you need some knowledge of how the thing was put together and how to change things at a very basic level. But in spite of my limited ICT knowledge, I can moderate. You just need to come in regularly (ideally, every day), welcome newbies and keep the wheels oiled reasonably subtly. You delete unwanted spam and anything else offensive, enforce the basic etiquette rules, watch out for trolls and troublemakers, speak privately to people who may be offending others and contribute if the board is looking a bit quiet. You can also edit or delete others' posts. Banning is ultimately an administrator decision, though. I have known moderators get dictatorial and power hungry, sounds ridiculous, but it's true, and that can wreck a board. Good organisers should be fairly invisible and keep the forums running smoothly. Dropping in once daily really makes a difference.
word count: 172

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Spam!

Post by begolden »

ThyneAlone wrote:Forgive offtopicness for just one post, people, I am just going to pop this note at the end of all our legit threads to keep that stupid spam at the foot of the page till it's removed...
Why do I feel like you and I are in a very small rowboat bailing out the continual stream of spam that's coming in through an unplugged hole?
word count: 69

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

The administrator has pm'd me that he's (I think it's a he, but correct me if I'm wrong) working on the problem. He's probably been away from the computer this weekend, but hopefully will be back on today to delete all the new spam. Thanks for volunteering to moderate, Steph. I would be happy to help as well. That would take some of the pressure off the administrator if one or both of us could just delete the stuff the minute it shows up.
word count: 89

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

More spam!

Post by ThyneAlone »

begolden wrote:Why do I feel like you and I are in a very small rowboat bailing out the continual stream of spam that's coming in through an unplugged hole?
Thing is, unless someone makes the effort the ship sinks, and there is No Way we are allowing this excellent nascent community with its friendly members to be marred by idiots, am I right?...
word count: 65

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

You are right! I just pm'd the administrator again and let him know we're at 7 spams and counting... Hopefully, he's back on the problem again, or will at least start deleting...
word count: 35

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I just spotted him on the onsite user list. *waves* Hi, thanks for dropping in!
word count: 15

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Yeah! I'm so happy our Administrator has popped in, and is working at clearing the forum up! We definitely want to keep it "nice and tidy" in here :)
word count: 29

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Am trying to help with your job, Rebecca, and get that pesky new spam to the bottom of the board!
word count: 20