Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Come on, Steph, I've got your back! :wink:
word count: 8
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yeah, I mentioned that, Rebecca! I have now agreed to moderate here and said that I would like you to be backup. Awaiting developments...
word count: 24

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Getting Access

Post by ThyneAlone »

Is anyone having problems getting in?
From my home PC (not the work ones, oddly) I can't reach this site on the original page I bookmarked (http://www.tjthyne.com/index2.php) because the picture and words have all disappeared leaving only a black page with TJ's name at the top.

So how am I here?

I have notifications of private messages sent to my home email and they give direct links to my inbox area, whence I can navigate as normal. I've now put the home page in my favourites as well - that seems to work! Hopefully this glitch is part of the site makeover that is meant to be taking place in the next month or so, cos the home page looks much better and I see they've added a 'press' section which, when operative, could be really useful.
word count: 145
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Phew! Reception back to normal. Must have been a vagary of my comp. Usually reliable, just occasionally goes mad. :roll:
word count: 19

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Just thought I'd put a little note up to who ever has been messing with the format since I came on here an hour or so ago.
Like the blue. The blue is nice. TJ made his MySpace blue. Keep it.
The Chevy ad doesn't work directly below the home page pic. It's nice on the page, but it doesn't look right where you have it.
And keep on experimenting. I like things changing round me!
word count: 80

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

The blue is definitely nicer--blue like a certain guy's eyes... :wink:
word count: 12

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yep, but because of the black you now can't read clearly who posted last. I think - lose the black, people. I've always had a bit of a problem with it.
word count: 32

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I agree.

Plus, now that the message box in which we type is jet black, we can't see where the cursor is. That makes things difficult.
word count: 27

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Can you not? My cursor is white, I can see it perfectly clearly - do we get different views then (or do we mean different things by cursor)? Hmm. Well, whatever, black isn't a TJ colour IMHO.
word count: 37

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

No, I think my cursor used to be white, but for some reason since the change to blue and black, now my cursor is black, so it blends in with the black background (which means I can't see where I'm typing). Wackiness ensues! ;)

As to black not being a TJ color, I tend to agree. Obviously, I don't know TJ, so I could be wrong. But I did send a message to the Management Team, commenting on various parts of the site, noting things per some of the questions from their post, and one of them was to note that the black seems a bit stark. It doesn't really capture TJ's personality, not the one I've seen, anyway. I think the black background should change to something a little lighter and brighter.
word count: 138

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

LOL! Get a bunch of women together, and we could argue color schemes all night...

I suppose if I were to vote on the color, I'd want a white background with blue, green, and brown trim.
word count: 37

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Site Discussion

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hello people,

A quickie to let you know that you are not going mad, there did use to be a few more threads than this around in the various forums and they did use to be called different things in some cases. However, we are not actually missing anything (I hope. I've been careful)!

I have spent a couple of hours this afternoon investigating how to use various mod abilities. I have 'merged' a few threads with similar themes (there were 2 'pictures' threads for example) and split a couple in which a subject which had developed seemed to require its own topic (there was a long spam discussion at the end of a hello thread!). Some have moved forums; the Coke commercial I found on youtube has been relocated in 'Other Work'. I have also deleted, where I could find them, early offtopic posts with which I simply bumped threads so that spam was dumped to the bottom of the forum, and sometimes renamed threads to make their content clearer (in the Bones forum for instance, where some threads were titled 'this week's episode', I have made it clear which episode it was).

This is aimed at tidying up, helping new people navigate/know where to post and making things less confusing, so I hope I haven't dropped anything 'behind the sofa' and made it impossible for you to track down!

Feel free to demand 'where's...' and I'll seek it out for you. Do tell me if I attempt anything that really annoys you and I will reverse it. But it's all still there, I promise.

PS What will be really annoying is if this lot shows up as 'new posts' for you. Apologies in advance for any point where it looks as though a new post has been registered but, in reality, it is just me messing about!
:D
word count: 316

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Site Development and Issues

Post by skftex »

So as a moderator you don't have the power to delete those spam threads? I would think they'd give you that option-since you are going to be the most active on the board and more likely to see them than the admin which understandably can't check in that often.

I didn't notice if everything went to unread or not. No matter. I know I haven't read HALF of the threads on this board anyway.

Good job and I love a nice neat organized board! :) I think it makes it so much easier for new people to come in and get acclaimated quickly.

Sharon
word count: 109
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote:So as a moderator you don't have the power to delete those spam threads? I would think they'd give you that option-since you are going to be the most active on the board and more likely to see them than the admin which understandably can't check in that often.

I didn't notice if everything went to unread or not. No matter. I know I haven't read HALF of the threads on this board anyway.

Good job and I love a nice neat organized board! :) I think it makes it so much easier for new people to come in and get acclaimated quickly.

Sharon
Ah, allow me to clear up confusion here. We can delete any threads we like. We couldn't before we were moderators (And at first we talked about it constantly because it was everywhere!). But only an admin, apparently, can take spam 'members' off the memberlist, because it seems there are concealed connected lists, at least in this particular package. And of course only an admin can load the appropriate protective software which, it appears, is currently operating pretty well, good job, Ben!

I've worked hard on this (I probably won't be this noticeable ever again!) so it's nice that you've noticed and appreciate. Hopefully newbies will feel more confident now and know where to go!

Thanks!
Steph x
word count: 234

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Question for the great and all-powerful Ben the Admin :D

Is it possible to put some of our comments under a 'cut' (like you can do with LiveJournal)? I ask not only because I admit my own comments can get lengthy (which I recognize and acknowledge not everyone will want to read), but also because it might help to keep the threads looking brief, neat and orderly. People can choose to click on the poster's 'cut' to read more (or see more, if photos are involved), or scroll on to other posts.

Of course, I could always learn to abbreviate my comments, but ... one, it's not just me posting lengthy thoughts, and two, and I say this with the greatest respect, it's probably unlikely, especially when I have (or someone else has) much to say. When posting regarding a Bones episode or a new film or play TJ's been in, for example.

Your thoughts, helpful computer code tutoring, or other comments, good sir?
word count: 167

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I've posted some of this elsewhere on the site where you mentioned it, Sherry, but this is the area where we can get our teeth into it, so here goes. Scrolling has never bothered me at all. This is because on the other site I moderate and on tv.com the possibility does not exist (there is something like it on the fox.com/bones boards though). I actually enjoy seeing a nice long post to read and don't view it as 'clutter'. I have real nostalgia for the ep review sessions we used to have on tv.com, and they were really long (we tended to write critiques of essay length!). I have a feeling, however, that I may be in a minority.

You are going to find this last bit a little weird.

If I am in a hurry and see a post truncated by what I now learn is a cut ( :idea: ), I sometimes lose interest and don't look further :oops: . The eye of the practised quick reader who, for a living, often skims for sense instead of style takes me to the apparent end and then sweeps me off elsewhere. I'm much more likely to read it all if it's all there. Strange, huh? Obviously I have read all yours because I know they're well worth a thorough look, but I still find it off-putting when they disappear.

I don't know whether we can do something like this in this particular software, but I'll certainly go discuss it with Ben and see if it's possible. Bear in mind that we use BBCode so html tags won't apply.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this, guys, can you get in here and let me know what you think?
word count: 301

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

What you said makes a lot of sense, Steph. I guess I was just throwing the suggestion of a 'cut' out there as a possibility because as I started writing up commentary for Aliens in a Spaceship, I realized I simply couldn't shorten my thoughts -- there are too many good things within that episode for me to abbreviate myself and indeed it's becoming a tiny bit of an 'essay' in style -- and as a result I feared that if I posted such a lengthy commentary here, I would be insensitive to the others who visit and enjoy the forum as a quick browsing bit of fun. I didn't want anyone to catch a glimpse and be all, "Oh man, there's that wordy Sinkwriter again... somebody shut her up, please." :D

I acknowledge that (in general) I cannot write a 'brief' post, but at the same time I don't want to step on toes or be rude by seemingly taking over a thread. That is absolutely not my intent.

If there is a general consensus that people are okay with me posting my thoughts re: this episode (and in the future, possibly other episodes), I'll be more than happy to post them here (and of course, by 'here' I mean the specific episode threads, LOL). And see others do the same, of course, if they have things they want to say, as I'd love to read everyone else's opinions, too. To me, that is what generates a good discussion -- people unafraid to express themselves and what they think, and willing to listen to others in return.

I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say on this matter.
word count: 285

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sorry, Sherry! Haven´t read your whole post! It was too long! :wink: - Just kidding! :) I really enjoy the long posts, too. For me it is always a little difficult to read and write long posts because English is not my first language, but it´s ok! But please forgive me when most of my posts are short because to write long once took me even longer than read them. After work there is mostly not much time. But it is a good exercise for me to post here and read your posts! So, thanks! :)

Simone
word count: 95
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

TJ4ever wrote:Sorry, Sherry! Haven´t read your whole post! It was too long! :wink: - Just kidding! :)

HAHAHAAA

Very funny, Simone. Verrrrry funny. ;)
TJ4ever wrote: I really enjoy the long posts, too. For me it is always a little difficult to read and write long posts because English is not my first language, but it´s ok!

I think you're doing a great job, especially knowing that English is not your first language. And thank you for reassuring me re: post length. :D
word count: 82

mariposa
Fan

Let's help get a chat function started on here!

Post by mariposa »

AAARGH! Steph and Simone are both online right now and I'd love to do a live chat ... but I can't ping you!

Anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this? Is it even possible to get a chat function on here?

Alas, I'll have to logout soon. Grandparents are on their way over here to babysit and enjoy our air-conditioning while we go out laptop shopping. Wish we could have chatted live, girls!

Marie
word count: 79
Mariposa
"More matter with less art." (Gertrude, in Hamlet, Act II, scene ii)