TJ on Facebook

Archived threads that are no longer active-this section is read only
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Re: TJ on Facebook

Post by SmackyKennedy »

It's actually very, very smart not having Facebook or Twitter. I can only imagine how much more productive I'd be without them, but I'm hooked now and love all the people I've "met."
word count: 37
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

If you teach, it can create very strange anomalies in your pupil relationships. So I keep out!
word count: 17
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

Why would it affect your teaching?
word count: 6
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Not my teaching. Like I said, relationships with pupils. However private you make things, there is always the possibility of a slip - letting people in. My sister is on FB and her account's actually been hacked into a couple of times; it does rather devalue the word 'friend'.

Most of my hundreds of past and present students are on FaceBook. While at school there is an automatic and very useful line drawn between you and them so that the relationship is formal and professional, even if friendly. Outside, that does not exist. Friendships can grow which are inappropriate, private lives may be revealed. There are frequent news reports about teachers who have been summarily dismissed for even slightly dubious contact, or who have unwittingly nurtured someone's unhealthy crush, or opened themselves up to malicious pupil allegations from kids who are a lot more internet savvy than they are. This happens more to younger staff of course who have grown up with social networking and are casual about it. It worries me that some are even happy to give out their cell numbers to kids. In the end, better safe than sorry. I choose quite carefully the people who see my few profiles out there.

And then, if less seriously, I reckon the pupils are entitled to their privacy too, their quiet areas where school and its representatives don't interfere. I know my sons wouldn't like the idea of me looking in on them and their friends.

There is another reason I don't do it, but that's more personal. You must see by some of my posts here that I am not a short sharp message/status person. Twitter would drive me mad. Restrict my characters that much? Couldn't do it, and admire those who can.
word count: 302

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Interesting. My sister's told me that it is against her local school policy for teachers to be FB "friends" with parents/students. I guess I can understand that, but I can't see how just having an account will force you into unprofessional relationships. All you have to do is make sure your info's all set to only allow friends to view, & then decline any friendship requests from students/parents/etc. Not trying to convince you. If you don't want one, then don't get one. :P I'm just saying that having an online account no more forces you to be friends with everyone than having a phone does. It's just one more mode of interaction.

Even when you are FB friends with someone, you can pick & choose what you share. I declined friendship requests from my family members for the longest time, b/c I didn't think they'd agree w/ everything I had to say. Now, I let them be my friend, but just have them on a special restricted list so they can only see a limited amount of info. LOL :D
word count: 189
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hmmm. <<thinks>> What you really have here, Jade, is not a technophobe by any means ;) but someone who increasingly avoids even tiny risks. I didn't mean I'd feel forced (lol!) into unwise intimacies. I meant I wanted to avoid even the slight possibility! I am the kind of person who occasionally has the impulse to say or express something I should have kept firmly to myself and that has caused unhappiness and embarrassment to many over the years, and I wouldn't want that to happen even in a forum which was just me and trusted friends.

I am maybe unusually cautious online anyway, as none of that info about you that will remain there forever in cyberspace is totally safe. It will probably not surprise you to learn that I don't bank or pay for anything online either....and usually people think that is just weird!

And I guess deep down I'm a fairly private person too and I don't think I would find FB very satisfying communication, so much of it seems to be that relaxed but inconsequential small talk I don't do very well. It was funny you mentioned the phone when you were talking about interaction. I thought about it and realised I hardly ever phone anyone!! I do text when necessary and email, but the only person I ring regularly socially is my mother and that's once a week max. Omg I am starting to sound like a sociopath and I'm really not!

My feelings about communication in general and social networking in particular are ambivalent and complicated; my sister barely communicates with anyone directly, even family, but can spend hours and hours on Facebook, and to me that is definitely undesirable. No need to worry that I might feel pressured by your very reasonable arguments :) I still don't want an account!
word count: 316

NyxStina
Fan

Post by NyxStina »

I know what you mean. My s/o says that most people are losing touch with actual communication. People are so focused with technology that they're forgetting that people have feelings. Soon people aren't going to know how to talk face to face, only through a screen.
word count: 49
Wise man not play leap frog with unicorn...

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Tj Thyne: Happy rest of the summer everyone. :-)
word count: 8
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

July 11:

Tj Thyne:
My interview with Jim Halterman. Thanks Jim! Fun seeing those clips again ha! http://t.co/JMP8uM8.
word count: 21

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Aug 2

Tj Thyne No Lalla 4 me this year:( quick brown Fox duties call. SO, if you go, when you've danced til you must stop, DON'T! & dance 3 more for me! :)
word count: 34
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Aug 4

TJ THYNE Hello Everyone! :-) running to set. season 7 well on its way! :-)
word count: 15

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

August 8:

Tj Thyne
Hi! On Twitter: @tjthyne
word count: 8

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Aug 29:

TJ THYNE:
Hello Everyone! :-) Have a great week!!! :-) happy Monday
word count: 12

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Sep 9:

TJ THYNE: Off to set. Have a great day everyone! :-)
word count: 12

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

I got this message from TJ on FB today:

"Hi!
Sorry for the mass email.
I"m having to close this account of mine.
Don't be offended by the "unfriending" it'll happen to everyone, including my own mother in the next several months :-)
I'm on twitter! Follow me there: @tjthyne

As well, I created another Page here on Facebook :-)
search my name TJ Thyne and join the page with the black and white photo of me writing TRUTH on the wall. :-)

Thanks gang,
and I'll see you on Twitter soon! :-)

@tjthyne

-TJ
.."

I wonder why he's "having" to close it.
word count: 105

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I think because it just got to be too much for him. A few months back, I think he made his account where you can't search for it, but he still receives friend requests constantly. Even if he doesn't have to accept them they are there and he has to decline them or ignore them which isn't in TJ's nature. As you can tell because rather than just mass delete people with no explanation he is slowly going through his friends and sending out that message before deleting them. :)
word count: 93

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Oct 3rd.

TJ THYNE
If you liked our short filmVALIDATION: http://bit.ly/JxsOm ...then stay tuned!I'll have some news this week I think you're going 2 like!:-)

Will never get tired of watching it.. :-)
word count: 38

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

skftex wrote:I think because it just got to be too much for him. A few months back, I think he made his account where you can't search for it, but he still receives friend requests constantly. Even if he doesn't have to accept them they are there and he has to decline them or ignore them which isn't in TJ's nature. As you can tell because rather than just mass delete people with no explanation he is slowly going through his friends and sending out that message before deleting them. :)
Got the mail from TJ this morning - regarding FB.. I'm quite okay with, knew it was comming - just a matter of time..
But look on the bright side, we got Twitter and his "visits" here on the site.
If I were TJ I would have taken the same deceision as well to close the account and only use the Fan page FB and Twitter.. More easier to maintain :-)
word count: 164

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Oct 11:

TJ THYNE:
We made a movie! :-)
The team from VALIDATION got back together and this time....we made a feature!
It's called SHUFFLE.
Take a look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OylXFd ... e=youtu.be

word count: 40

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Oct 21:

TJ THYNE:
Tonight, SHUFFLE premieres at the Hollywood Film Festival! :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OylXFddKg
word count: 20