Bones 10.10 - The 200th in the 10th

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Bones 10.10 - The 200th in the 10th

Post by hanneDK »

I'm back.. :D Bare with me, ladies. Haven't made a post (review) in a very very very long time.
But here goes:

Wow 200th episodes.. so proud of the entire cast to have reach such a milestone :-)
It was cool to see all the squints, the guy from ZZ top (can't remember his name), even "Pelant".

I actually liked it.. A very different take.. It was cool that the episode was created as a movie premiere - didn't expect that.
Although I was a bit annoyed by almost 5 mins of Brennan following Booth - not a word spoken. All I could think was: come on, say something!!
Had to remind myself that it was a "movie" made in the 50's..

Hodgin's hair :-) adorable.. His love for science, his way of getting sucked into the case - the will to solve the case.. King of the lab - for creating a new field in science and lawinforcement :-)
Even his shyness in talking to Angela :-)

The cast looked amazing in their 50's outfits.. they captured the 50's brilliant - clothes, makeup, attitudes and the way they talked - slang etc.

The case itself.. why did Cam's character kill of her employer?? Jealousy? Must admit that minor info slipped my attention :-(

Should be able to say more.. I might later :-) But since it's my first review in a very long time, I think I did good :D

Can't wait to read what the rest of you thought of the episode.
word count: 251

emi13
Fan

Re: Episode 10 season 10 - The 200th in the 10th

Post by emi13 »

I really loved all the 50s outfits the characters had on! It was neat how, at the beginning of the episode, it presented Emily Deschanel and David Boreanz as stars of the movie. That was clever of the writers and I enjoyed that about this episode. Hodgins was hilarious! His whole attire perfectly described his character. TJ did Great work in this episode, as always. :)
word count: 65
Dr. Jack Hodgins: Up and forward are only two directions. Science should look in all directions.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 10.10 - The 200th in the 10th

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yeah - it was clever and entertaining and all the cast did a superb job. I love this particular style of film and they nailed it from plot to costume (including make-up - that slightly over-made-up look is classic and lasted right up to the sixties. Take a look at Mary Poppins!) to visuals (no-one ever looked like they were actually driving in a car, right?) and speech. Even down to that annoying thing where important developments happen offscreen. Nowadays everyone would be astonished not to see Booth getting out of that closet! And we had a Superman/Spidey newsroom-type office and a Bond plane chase! Riches indeed.

I like the fact that in their different personae most of the characters still retained elements of their own personalities, though Booth was a bit more suave and Cary Grant-ish than usual. Brennan was independent to within an inch of her life (it was nice to flash back to her insistence on taking the wheel) and a determined, rational-minded seeker after truth. Angela was the good-time girl, an artist and a bit of a rebel. Hodgins still had that basic childlike wonder at the discoveries he was making - another subtle portrayal from TJ, just a little bit different from and more intense than his usual Jack. Wendell the cub reporter still had that puppyish enthusiasm which has always characterised him as a squint.

On the other hand, of course, we had the fun of seeing some members of the cast playing completely differently. Cam as a murderer and jewel thief was cold and ruthless, Pej did a great job as a smooth operator on the fringes of the law (some nice interaction with Michaela there too) and goodness me, Jessica can be fiery when she wants, can't she? I also loved what they did with Aldo Clemens, a complete reversal and so well portrayed.My favourite was probably Aubrey though, that was a great Gatsby.

It was a massive treat for the fans with its little hints of background and its attention to detail. However, my brain was calling out 'why?' at the end. No reference to the current plots or the season, or indeed the show, at all. It's a personal thing for me, but if a show is going to do something a bit different, be it to please the viewers, celebrate a milestone or whatever, there should be some basic links or relevance to the current plot of the original. I think I have been spoilt by Buffy, where a singing ep, a non-speaking ep, an alternative reality ep (as I guess this is meant to be - but a bit pointless if no comparison with the 'other' world) and a weird dream ep were all woven seamlessly and brilliantly into their various arcs. As a one-off, a stylish and spectacular success, but it did have my fairly-frequent-viewer beloved scratching his head. A lot.
word count: 496
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

MariaDiaper
Fan

Re: Bones 10.10 - The 200th in the 10th

Post by MariaDiaper »

I loved this episode! Thought it was a great tribute to Bones and how popular it has become. I would like to see another episode set in the 70s or 80s, perhaps exploring Booth's initial urge to gamble and why Hodgins decided to join the Jeffersonian.
word count: 47
Met TJ on 12/07/2014 at London Film & Comic Con.