Bones 10.19 The Murder In The Middle East

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 10.19 The Murder In The Middle East

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi y'all out there! I see we haven't had a review for a few weeks (of course this might just be a lack of TJ), and I have been lax in this respect even though it has been a busy time for me; so I thought I would drop in with just a couple of thoughts on this one, which I saw 2 days ago - I think we are only a week or so behind the US now.

It's good that we are dealing with events outside the States and with different issues, but I didn't find this one entirely convincing. It felt shallow. Of course if you are going to try to tackle certain attitudes, cultural clashes and conflicts within a 45-minute bracket, it's bound to be a superficial treatment, and I accept that. I still feel unhappy with the slightly comic-book view of the Iranians and the Muslim community and the victim's dignified father's reconciliation to his son being a drunkard and a fornicator, which I suspect would not have come about so cheerfully and rapidly, if it had come about at all. I'm not even sure that Cam and Arastoo's relationship would have been so readily dismissed. It's not a simple journey from hard-line to soft-focus and it covers some very complex ground. I hope this has not reinforced certain stereotypes, particularly in the attitudes implicit in law enforcement.

However, another area I have never been happy with is the concept of crime solving at a distance. Does their connection never go down? Is it that easy for Angela to do some judicious hacking to avoid interference? And, most of all, with a serious deadline and no opportunity to get their hands on the forensics, can they really close a case so firmly and accurately when, as has already been shown in recent episodes, it's possible for them to get things wrong even hands-on (incidentally, I know I've not reviewed last week's, but I always suspected they were mistaken in that bakery case)? Also, naturally, it's irritating for the TJ fans who don't really get the opportunity to see him. He needs particulates and insects. On site. I exempt the one where he worked from prison - it wasn't convincing either, but we got to see a wedding!!

I suppose this time there was a reason for the BB focus which has got under my skin so much in the past - the continuing story of Booth's reawakened gambling bug. Albeit a rather more rushed arc than I'd have liked. Frankly I am very surprised they have not plotted this before; it's such a useful character trait which could have emerged in any number of past episodes, and there have been ample gambling opportunities. It's annoying that drastic traumas in relationships have to be contrived in order to keep the interest heightened (I could even include Vincent's death here, it just seemed like a device to get Booth and Brennan into bed together..ditto the exasperating Pelant threat), but this one is at least realistic and true to Brennan's nature; of course she would take the logical step and throw him out as soon as she saw danger to Christine. So that was very satisfying, as the character was not compromised.

Fairly good ep, a bit uneven overall and with insufficient focus on the case again - this used to be a far better balance.
word count: 592
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 10.19 The Murder In The Middle East

Post by skftex »

My favorite part of this episode was the ending scene where Booth returns and Brennan confronts him about the gambling. I know a lot of people didn't think Brennan had to act the way she did but I think she was justified in telling him to leave. First off, he put her and Christine in danger, but maybe that could be worked out if that were all. But once she asked Booth if he was gambling and Booth lied, that was the end deal to making him leave.

The whole Iran story, I was okay with it. I do agree that the father probably wouldn't have turned around quite that quickly. I also think they didn't even begin to address the issues with Americans going into Iran in the first place. They made it look like all that they had to do was fly in, and no one would notice.
word count: 153
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 10.19 The Murder In The Middle East

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote:I know a lot of people didn't think Brennan had to act the way she did but I think she was justified in telling him to leave. First off, he put her and Christine in danger, but maybe that could be worked out if that were all. But once she asked Booth if he was gambling and Booth lied, that was the end deal to making him leave.
I absolutely agree with all this. If there is one thing that will harden Brennan against anyone it's deceit, she is so focused on the truth herself. I forgot to mention that. Again, very true to character!

I'm with you on Iran as well. That was ridiculous.
word count: 120
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro