Bones 1.11 The Woman in the Car

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Bones 1.11 The Woman in the Car

Post by skftex »

Starting a thread for this episode too! I really hope I'm not missing an existing one, I do try to search for it then go through the six pages trying to see if it is there.

This one opens with Brennan being interviewed about her book. HAHAHA I laugh how Brennan takes things so very literally. How does she handle balancing being an anthropologist, helping the FBI and writing books? She does one thing then another. :D I like Brennan more than the goofy woman interviewing her, of course working with dead bodies isn’t pleasant, why would anyone think it is? Brennan isn’t going to have children. She lied! And then how to write a book, you need a writing instrument and an idea. Gotcha.

Wow, the woman is really burned. I bet in real life that would stink, which makes me think of TJ talking about working with the bodies and how they don’t smell. Good to know, though wouldn’t it be funny if they started adding smells to them to freak out the actors.

Oh boy! Pickering is doing a security review. Hodgins is funny about that, and his eyes look really really blue in that scene! (Yes I know I keep mentioning this but sometimes they are more noticeable than other times) “Didn’t I see you on television this morning Dr. Brennan?” “How could I possibly know what you watched on television Miss Pickering?” HAHAHAHA I love people that answer exactly what they are asked, I like doing that to people because they will get the funniest faces.

But Booth asks if that was Brennan’s first television interview and she says yes, but it isn’t really, she was interviewed in The Woman at the Airport. Maybe that wasn’t a TV interview but it was being filmed.

So Angela talks about the “mysterious government chick.” I don’t think she is that mysterious. She’s from the State Department, surely they’ve been through those sorts of security checks before, because they work in the Jeffersonian and have been working with the FBI for 10 episodes already! ;) :P So they’d have security clearances. I do like when Angela says she has the best kind of secrets and calls Booth “bucko” :D

As Sherry mentioned when we were watching it, this episode definitely highlights Booth and kids. He doesn’t like that Cullen tells him that Decker doesn’t need to know that his son has been kidnapped and his wife is dead. Brennan says Decker should be able to decide whether to testify or not, and Booth doesn’t say anything but you know he doesn’t like it just by the way he says he needs access to Decker. I find it interesting that in this scene Cullen came to Booth’s office. Also, when Cullen leaves and Brennan asks about Cullen not liking her, Booth says “I don’t know.” I think he does know, based on all the things Cullen has said before. I feel like Booth said this because he doesn’t want to upset Brennan about it when he’s more worried about finding Decker’s son.

I also like when Booth says he has to assume the kid is still alive, and Brennan actually doesn’t say something to make him feel worse about the boy. She sees that there is no reason to dread something that they have no proof has happened yet. Booth is supposed to be good at reading people but Brennan sees more in the video than he does. She sees the father is nervous and the boy is not, but Booth doesn’t seem to believe her, saying she’s using psychology. But when when they go back to the video the boy is telling the father to let go, proving Brennan was right.

As I told Sherry, I don’t get why it is weird that Angela has traveled a lot. I mean a lot of people when they are young and single, some people manage to travel a lot. Plus Angela is an artist; the desire to go and see things, to be inspired and learn is definitely a normal thing in an artist you would think. Angela using Pickering as a therapist is great!! But no I don’t think that woman has anything close to any experiences that Angela has had! But Sherry and I did discuss how Angela tries to marry Hodgins when she was TOLD she was married in this episode. What is up with that??

The scene where Booth goes to visit the company that is being investigated by the government, Sherry and I had a conversation about the actor in charge of KBC Systems, he was in Gilmore Girls and was pretty nasty, and he’s nasty in this one too! Then the guy tries to bond with Booth by saying he was in the military and Booth is also one so they must think alike. I don’t really think that works with Booth. Booth calls Brennan out for being snippy with him, yay! I like it when they tell Brennan when she’s doing things that are not acceptable.

That Pickering really has no manners. They are working, doing something important and she just walks up and asks to talk to Zack. I love Brennan telling her that she interrupted so that should tell her something. HAHA Brennan wants Pickering to interview Hodgins but he demands a lawyer, then Zack asks if he can and Brennan says they all will, hinting that Pickering is really annoying all of them. But of course this leads to a great Hodgins scene later because Pickering doesn’t need to talk to Hodgins, even though early in the episode she hinted she would!

Hodgins says “No one from the State Department has interviewed me in two years.” And Pickering says “No one from the State Department has ever interviewed you,” which is really funny. I wonder who Hodgins DID talk to if she claims he didn’t talk to State Department? I don’t think he is just making up talking to someone do you? Or is he being his paranoid self, knowing he talked to someone and deciding they were State Department no matter where they told him they were actually from? HAHAHA I love TJ’s faces in the scene where he talks about his “toe chewing moron cousin” he looks amused and like he’s about to laugh. Then he’s insulted and his eyes get really huge. Cracks me up every time!! Then the lab assistant or whoever that is walks by and says “Excuse me” and Hodgins says he’s dangerous. Yes, I’m sure you are… we are all scared! ;)

Pickering really hasn’t studied up on Zack it seems, she thinks she needs his full attention. I like that Zack actually stands up to her a bit, telling her that she doesn’t really need his full attention but he’ll give it to her anyway. Then he walks over and stares at her. GO ZACK. “What do you think I’ll do, build a race of criminal robots that’ll destroy the earth?” And when asked if he has those sorts of fantasies he says Very often. Well I wish I were smart enough to build a race of criminal robots! Zack is definitely telling the truth when he says he’d ask Dr. Brennan or Angela first. Pickering is writing that down. HAHAHA Why? Doesn’t she get that he really doesn’t do things like that on his own? Which one of many reasons why I feel they really failed when they made him the Gormogon apprentice. He mostly only asks Hodgins about women. :crying-pink: But Zack, Hodgins doesn't want to talk to you about that! You have to find someone more...earthy!! ;)

The Assistant US Attorney is weird. Booth was hoping he was gay or had one ear. HAHAHA Have to admit the response about the one ear thing being unique to Booth makes me laugh. Even though I really don’t like this guy, and he lost his big witness! And I agree, that company is pretty nasty, to send soldiers into battle knowing the armor is not great, which of course was taken straight from some of the news of the time about some of the armor used in Iraq/Afghanistan not being up to the job.

Hey, Booth actually engages Zack in a conversation, in a way, trying to figure out what Decker would do, and Zack has an IQ higher than 163. Sheesh!!!

Decker has taken the KBC guy and is holding a gun to his head. Decker says they can shoot him after the guy makes the call to free his son. He isn’t thinking so straight because the kid already lost his mother; he really doesn’t want him to lose both parents does he?

Pickering doesn’t believe Dr. Goodman can just talk to a woman? Seriously? Pickering is more of out of touch weirdo than any of the squints!

Booth watches Decker and understands him wanting to save his son, I'm sure Booth is thinking he'd do exactly what Decker is doing if it were his own son. Donovan and Decker have the code word Paladin. It’s a good thing Booth thought to ask that!

Hodgins thinks he’s funny but Brennan doesn’t when he mentions weeping love is found worldwide. :laughing-rolling: Eww they sent Booth a finger. So, so, GROSS!! Horrible evil people! Get them Booth! Booth sees a terrified boy with his finger cut off. And then they switch to a scene of him talking to Parker. Nice touch.

I absolutely love the scene where Pickering asks Brennan about Juan Guzman and she calls someone and it shuts Pickering down completely. FUNNY!! Brennan's eyes getting bigger and then just silently picking up the phone. :laughing-rolling: Especially since she has sort of an attitude when she is handed the phone until she finds out who is on the other end. :D

They found where Donovan is and now Booth is the hero to go in and save him! BOOTH TO THE RESCUE. Booth has bullet proof vests but he doesn’t wear a helmet. I guess they can’t cover up the head of the star of the show but he really should have one and he should know better! Then this scene makes you wonder, where did the FBI get THEIR body bullet proof vests and helmets? Apparently not from KBC Systems, or at least I hope not. The scene with Booth finding Donovan and trying to calm him and finally telling him the word “Paladin” made Sherry and me both cry a bit. That kid is really, really scared, and it is heartbreaking.

Booth tells Brennan every time she catches a murderer she saves another victim, which I guess in some cases is true, and since these guys were mercenaries it was definitely true, but it assumes that all murderers will kill again, and that isn’t always the case. Still, it’s a nice ending, and a really great episode. Your turn Sherry!! ;)
word count: 1875
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Bones 1.11 The Woman in the Car

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I am so behind on writing commentary! Must catch up, or I can't start Season 2! :naughty:

Okay, let's see... The Woman in the Car.

Just as The Boy in the Bush was a strong episode for Brennan (as it showed her humanity and her connection with kids in the foster system), The Woman in the Car is a strong episode for Booth. It shows his connection to kids and his strengths as an FBI agent.

There are some terrific parallels of father and son. Booth and Decker seem to be completely different men; in fact, in some ways Decker is the male version of Brennan (logical, rational scientist in contrast to Booth's gut instincts and physical training). But there is one trait that they both share -- the love each man has for his son (and the lengths he will go to in order to keep that son safe).

I don't think this episode is as intense as the Epps episode, but it does build up tension nicely from the beginning (with the scene of the missing kid and his mother murdered and horribly burned) all the way up to the big finish when Booth rescues the kid.

There are some terrific tension points throughout the episode: the kid's finger being mailed to Booth, Brennan talking logic to Decker (rational person to rational person) to get him to stand down, Booth telling Brennan she can't go in with the SWAT team (Finally! She listens and stays back!), and of course the big moment when Booth shows off not only his badass side (barging in and shooting with precision) but also his gentler side (when he finds the terrified kid and tells him the code word "Paladin"). I love that final takedown scene so much. Booth's command of the situation gives me chills, and the way he comforts that poor sobbing boy just kills me every time. KILLS me. It makes me cry. And the boy's face when he realizes that Booth is a safe guy, not another bad guy... OW OW OW. Straight to the heart. And then the dad shows up on scene and starts crying... oh, all of it just kills me. It's such powerful stuff.

And while I appreciate Booth's passion about kids and parenthood, I like that in this episode Brennan holds true to her beliefs just as Booth holds true to his. This is what I liked about early series Bones -- they could have gone all clichéd and had her get all mushy at the sight of Booth with the kid and have her change her mind (like some Hallmark episode). But that's not Brennan. There's a good point, she makes, in that it's hard to see bringing a child into the world, not with all the horrific stuff they see on a day-to-day basis. That's a very fair point. There's nothing wrong with a character becoming a parent. I just don't think they did a good job of making the shift for Brennan. Especially when she has such strong belief about it, just like Booth does. I think I would have found it a refreshing and understandable change for her character if Brennan had decided she never wanted to have kids of her own, but realized she still wanted to do some good in ways she herself hadn't experienced: by helping kids in the foster system. That would have been more believable to me.

I like this episode. Women in the Car is another strong one in an entire season of strong episodes. It's got good build-up and strong guest actors. And I think the episode is especially strong because of Booth relating to the guy as a father and how they showed that consistency throughout. Plus, the ending always makes me cry.

On a separate note, this episode has many funny moments, which is surprising given how grave the case is. I like how they balanced humor and drama.

Some quick highlights of my favorite funny parts:

- Brennan showing once again just how bad she is at doing interviews. "Well, I do one, then the other." Though quite frankly what did that interviewer expect, going into an interview with a woman who examines remains on a daily basis and then writes about it?? (It is funny, though, to see her nodding and smiling and trying to be upbeat while Brennan talks about rotting corpses. Heee.)

- The agent who has been watching Decker, saying to Booth: "I get the gay thing a lot because I'm so cute, but the one ear thing, that's unique to you." That line always cracks me up.

- Zack getting in Booth's personal space. (Uh-oh. Step back, Zack! Step back!)

- Zack's interview with Pickering, and how he can do two things at once. 480 volts 350 amps! :D

- Goodman shutting down Pickering because her line of inquiry is ridiculous. He's allowed to have smart conversations with smart women and not have it be some sort of scandal! Sheesh.

- Brennan shutting down Pickering because she brought up a very wrong name. Heeeeee.

- Angela in her interview with Pickering, feeling like she's rambling and using the session like therapy. LOL.

- Angela telling Booth she has all kinds of secrets. "Better believe it, bucko... the best kind." :dance: (And on a self-serving but hopefully amusing side note, I used some of Angela's backstory from this episode in a piece of Bones fan fiction. Because I think "the best kind" and some of the other stuff Angela reveals in this episode says so much about her as a character. It's all very good stuff.)

- One bone of contention to pick: Agent Pickering says very clearly in this episode that Angela's marriage was real. So why did she try to marry Hodgins without getting that resolved first?? That annoys me so much, because she treats Hodgins so poorly throughout all of that. But I suppose I'll get to that, when we revisit those episodes. :D

- And the best, funniest part of this episode? Everything TJ does. LOL. It sounds ridiculous, but it's TRUE! He is SO funny in this episode. From his immediate demand for a lawyer when Pickering shows up to interview all of them, to his suspicions about her credentials, to his insistence that he is not harmless. It's all hilarious. "I am not benign, lady! I know things that could curdle your blood, including a formula that actually curdles blood!" Heeeeeee. :romance-smileyheart:

And my favorite line, after they'd helped Booth sort out some evidence and then Zack said something that annoyed Booth all over again, said by TJ in the most funny way: "Way to go, Zack. We went from geniuses to idiots in 3 seconds." HAHAHA I just love that. :D

What did everyone else think?
word count: 1156