Bones 11.10 The Doom in the Boom

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Bones 11.10 The Doom in the Boom

Post by skftex »

I don't have time to write a lot about this episode right now but I wanted to start the thread so people can discuss it.

I do see where this is going to be fun for TJ though! I'll be back to say more in a bit!

Sharon
word count: 50
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Akarana
Super Fan

Re: Bones 11.10 The Doom in the Boom

Post by Akarana »

I was on Twitter when I saw the episode(s) and read a lot of "Hodgins noo" posts. I get them, understand where they are coming from but at the same time, as weird as that might sound I am really happy with this episode and this development especially.
I suggested a character death or miscarriage or something like this when I first read the spoilers, but this is just so much better (SPOILER for those who haven't seen it yet: There's an explosion because a body has a bomb inside. Aubrey saves Hodgins from the blast and gets hurt. Hodgins first only has a few scratches and then at the end of the episodes he collapses at the lab. Arastoo and Cam rush to Angela and him and then you can see the team at the hospital waiting room. Doctor comes in and shows Brennan the CT pics. She and Cam look sad and knowingly and when Angela yells at them to tell her what's going on bc she didn't understand the medical stuff of the doctor, Brennan tells her that Hodgins suffered damaged to his spinal cord and is paralyzed).
It changes the dynamic at the lab, because everybody will have to make adjustments, technically and otherwise.
It will affect his relationship with Angela, because for once she will have to be there for him as opposed to him doing whatever she wants whenever she wants (which is my main problem with this couple). It will be interesting to see if they are going to make it or not. Especially because they just wanted to have another child. I am not sure if this will still be possible "the normal way" or not and of not this will open a whole other can of worms.
And I am curious to see how Hodgins will deal with it. For whatever weird reason I would love to see him go back to his whole "I hate everybody" grumpy way, because we haven't seen that in forever. My favorite Hodgins scenes are probably the ones when he is the most angry. So, as you can probably tell, I am really happy about this, as crazy as that sounds. (Of course I am only happy because this is a TV show and storyline wise I like it. This happening to someone wouldn't make me happy in real life believe me).

And then of course there were Cam and Arastoo. Not enough scenes with the two of them, but still: He is back :)
That said that's where my excitement ends when it comes to this storyline. Already when they broke up I felt that with one normal and honestly conversation (they always worked everything out by talking to each other. He was the one that finally got Cam to open up) they could have resolved this and then they broke up. For my taste when it comes to them too much happens "off-screen". So after the conversation in her office, with her still shaken from the explosion, the four dead cops and Arastoo being back I think it would be normal for her to crack at the hospital or afterwards when she learns what's going on with Hodgins. And still they are standing /sitting there not looking at each other. He laid it all out, it's her decision but the awkwardness should be gone. And also with so many things happening around them when you're made aware that sometimes you don't get a second, third or fourth chance in life, shouldn't she be able to just jump at the chance of being with guy she loves, consequences be damned for once?
I really hope that after the break we will finally see them talk or maybe find them together again. Yes, he still needs a job and yes, maybe that will take him halfway around the world, but is that really a reason to just let someone you love go, even though you're both miserable?! I could go on and on about this, because I really don't like how this is handled. For me it still feels like they needed to break them up for whatever reason, because some couple needed to break up on the show and now they are dragging it out. Imo there is no way after how heart broken Cam was/is, and with all this drama around her and her problems to committing to someone as nice as Sebastian, she would let Arastoo get away again. Not after THAT declaration of love.

I can't say much about the case, other that there was a bomb, because it didn't feel important to me...
word count: 791
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I think I'm the only person not freaked out about this episode. There were things I liked but things I also really was annoyed with, the first one being they stuck TOO much into one episode.

First off the case, I really thought was a good storyline, and I wish they hadn't solved it and let that story be an arc story. Someone killing cops by booby trapping a body with a cell phone bomb, that kind of strange mind is the kind of thing they should explore more. Anyway I was hoping because I thought it was really well done.

Hodgins and Aubrey getting blown up, yeah that looked really bad and I was so surprised when Hodgins walked out in the hospital. Aubrey was in surgery for how many hours and yet he just "sneaks" out of the hospital a day later? Or did more time pass than that? Plus he sure is good at not getting cuts on his face after being blown up. Smoothest face on a bomb victim EVER (Hodgins too).

The Cam/Arastoo stuff I felt like it could have been done in the prior episode (plus then we wouldn't have had to see Daisy HAHAHA). I like Arastoo and I'm fine with them together but with all the other stuff going on, it sort of shortchanged that story because it is not really what most people are talking about (other than Akarana ;-) )

Then we come to the scream and Hodgins on the floor at the Jeffersonian. I thought that was a bit weird. He's lying there, people aren't even saying things to him? Plus someone screams and only 2 people come running? No security? Or maybe I was just too distracted by poor Hodgins lying there on the floor. The hospital scene, Angela was appropriately upset there, then the doctor is one of the worst doctors I've ever seen to deliver bad news. She just walks into a crowded room and shares information with everyone then doesn't even EXPLAIN it, she lets the wife's best friend explain it? I get that it was more dramatic for Brennan to tell Angela that Hodgins is paralyzed but it could have been done better. UGH.

I'm not sure how I feel about the storyline, I'm thrilled for TJ of course, I want him to have good things to do and not just be the comedic relief all the time but I just have a feeling that this whole thing is going to get resolved too quickly and too miraculously to do the story justice. Are they really going to keep him in a wheelchair for the rest of the season? I'd be shocked if they do.

Anyway, I did feel that for a season that has been just okay other than a couple of episodes, that this one had much more interest and other than the first episode it was the best of the season. it is an interesting way to go into a possibly really long hiatus though, I wonder if it will work? Ratings were dismal-the live number for the 18-49 group being a 1.0.
word count: 536
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I definitely agree with Sharon that I think they tried to cram way too much into this episode. The Cam and Arastoo stuff could have waited for another time, for example. There was great power in what happened to Hodgins, but I feel like a lot of it happened for him OFF SCREEN. With the exception of the bomb blast and immediate hospital aftermath and that one moment where he's in pain while out in the field with Cam, in all his other scenes he seemed just fine. I wish we had been with Hodgins and Angela in the moment of his collapse. I suppose they were going for the drama of a big reveal, but it was annoying that the security guards didn't come running immediately or at least be seen in the background, radioing for help. I felt like we missed seeing HODGINS experiencing all this. I know (or at least hope) that he'll get to do something interesting in the upcoming episodes - it's certainly going to be a huge adjustment for him, and we don't yet know how extensive the paralysis is - but I do wish we'd gotten to see more of his character's experience in THIS episode.

I will say that I liked the scene where he and Cam were examining another body and Cam's cell went off, and poor Hodgins jumped because he thought it was another bomb. "Maybe next time put your phone on vibrate!" Not only will he have health stuff to deal with but perhaps some PTSD as well. :S I just hope the showrunners let us SEE those experiences for Hodgins. I would love this to mean some meaty, hardcore work for TJ to get to play with as an actor. I don't want them to waste his talent. He's already proven so well that he's beyond good; he deserves to have great storylines.

I will also say it's probably the most excited I've been for Hodgins (and for TJ getting something awesome to do) in a long time. The sight of him being pulled away from the body and shielded by Aubrey, and then Cam looking over and seeing all the devastation and both Hodgins and Aubrey unconscious was enough to make me hold my breath. EEEEEEEEEEEK!

I'll also add that for a second there in the final scene, I thought Hodgins was dead and that TJ had kept news of his leaving the show from all of us so that we would join him in this big moment. I thought it because he was collapsed on the floor, but his eyes were wide open and he wasn't moving at all. So I thought, HOLY SHIT, THEY KILLED HIM OFF????? OH MY GOD, TJ!!!

LOL.

Thankfully, that seems to not be the case, but I will definitely be curious how they handle this after the break. How long is this break, anyway? Do we know when they're coming back? If memory serves, the show was not on the schedule in January, so I'm worried that we won't get to see a thorough approach to this for Hodgins, not if they're crunched for time or get a shortened second half of their season. If they're going to do this, I want them to do it right and do it well, for TJ's sake (and for us as viewers).
word count: 578
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

There's no date set yet for the return.

As for the weirdness of the collapse: I agree. What I thought was a bit weird was Angela's scream. You're walking beside your husband and he collapses. My reaction would probably be sth like "OMG, **(insert name here)" and then go down and check on him. Screaming like a spider just walked by was a bit weird for my taste. Also that Cam just sits there. She is a doctor so she should be the one to check if he is breathing, his pulse etc. And not let Arastoo take over and not do anything...

I will read the rest of these comments later I have to hurry... hairdressers appointment :)
word count: 121

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah (thoughtfully).
I see (soberly).
Normally I keep a weather eye on spoilers, but the last few weeks have been such a work nightmare I have almost never been on the computer for fun. And I don't 'do' social networking of course. So this time you guys have been my only source - well, apart from a quick search online, but only after I saw your posts, and only finding minimum information.
Goodness knows when I'll see this; I think for us S11 starts on Sky Living sometime in January, so it can't be too far off (I've given up trying to watch it early online, the quality is generally rubbish). Maybe we won't get as much of a hiatus as you will.
Overall reaction; mixed, like Sharon. Hurray for TJ finally getting some meat, dread as to the unrealistic things the writers might do with it. They haven't been brilliant at writing the Angela/Hodgins relationship in the past, have they??!

On another tack, Jessi, could you let me know what's going on with Cam and Arastoo? I seem to have missed a lot there. Well, obviously. :)
word count: 194
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

I think its absolutely brilliant.

Its going to be an awesome challenge for TJ and I think the writers have been very clever in doing what they have done. Hodgins in the fan favourite. EVERYONE loves him. I am yet to speak to anyone who dislikes our Jack.. so in creating this MASSIVE life changing event for him I think a lot of fans will stay tuned just to see what happens and make sure he is ok. They certainly shouldnt LOSE any fans over it I wouldnt think?

They've said that they have no intention of bringing him out of the chair soon, because it would be too unrealistic, and even though they are having a few months gap in the timeline its still going to be a case of Hodgins going through therapy etc. I think we should expect to see TJ in the chair at least for the rest of this season.

The writers have also said that they have "the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers" for the end of this season, which they are looking to run with unless they get a call to tell them to do differently. Thats a scary but exciting idea.

But I have also been told that the ratings still werent that great for those 2 eps :( so I hope that doesnt ruin things for them. Its come too far to get cancelled now! And this new Hodgins storyline is too awesome to lose.

Its going to be brilliant to see how TJ takes on the challenge. And its going to be brilliant to see how Hodgins and everyone around him copes with it all.

I AM EXCITED!!

Excellent idea. Excellent.
word count: 281

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

and sorry for the other post I started. I didnt want to include spoilers straight away in case I got shouted at. lol
word count: 23

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

Hi guys!!! I really wanted to post a comment yesterday, but still I am doing this today since I have rewatched the episode! I really really liked it. It's definitely the best of s11 for me but it's also a very good episode of the series overall. The case was intriguing and it's a bit bad it's not a serial killer episode, but I loved it even as a standalone case. The main thing that I love about the show are the characters and there were many little things about the team in this episode. I loved the scenes at the hospital and the fact that Aubrey acted as a hero in the whole situation. And Hodgins!!! He's such a good guy.
For the "Hodgins-is-paralyzed" cliffhanger, it hurts so much, but at the same time, I'm happy. TJ's skills as a dramatic actor are awesome and I think they made the right decision by choosing Hodgins to deal with this. Angry!Hodgins delivered some remarkable stuff over the years and I'm happy they're gonna explore it again. Also, if TJ is thrilled, amazed, all-in in this, I am too. Actors should be motivated and challenged and that comes first for me, as a fan. Also, Bones deals with serious matters really well, and the more I read the interviews (I so want to comment on that, where can I do it?), the more I am in. Of course, seeing Hodgins like that is gonna hurt so much. I have faith he will walk again eventually. Or at least I hope so. I don't want them to rush this (and it doesn't seem like they're gonna do it), but I also would like him to walk again before the series ends for good. But for now, I'm gonna enjoy the ride.
The thing that I am liking the most about this season is that is Hodgins-centred (in the sense there's plenty of him) and so I can't wait!!!
--
Regarding the ep itself, again, I thought it was excellent. With this I don't mean that it was perfect, it was very procedural-like but I love this type of episodes. Of course a couple of things were sacrificed in order to save the cliffhanger, but it worked for me. I knew something was gonna happen to Hodgins, my theories initially were that Angela was gonna lose a baby or that he was gonna lose an arm or a leg (or his sight) so I got closed, but still I didn't feel like it was a bummer. I still loved how the episode progressed and I was speechless at that scene of Hodgins lying on the floor.
Of course:
- Everyone who watches tv (or even gets a driving license) knows that after some trauma, patients are gonna be kept under surveillance for the next few hours, so Hodgins getting out of the hospital was a bit reckless but still IC. (No one says Hodgins didn't know he was taking risks but decided to do so in order to do his job)
- The wire. There was a wire on a phone...and of course, what you do? You pull it. Wrong. But still, it was in the chest of a victim, you don't really make that quick connection it could be a bomb.
- Hodgins walking..okay, someone should have gotten him checked, but still adrenaline or stuff can make you feel okay even if you're not. I am sure everyone thought he was fine.
- Brennan telling Angela. Okay, that doctor was super stupid, but I loved that it was Brennan telling Angela.
I started to think something was gonna happen to him through out the episode, but it's not important, I am more interested in what's gonna happen next.
As for the rest of the episode:
Hodgela screentime always appreciated
the opening scene with Angela and BB was cute
Haven't made up my mind yet about the new BAU girl, but I am not crazy about her atm. I laughed at her quirckness but since she's sticking around I would have preferred someone more serious? (And yep, they have probably written this character in because the show it's gonna get dark.)
Not crazy about Camastoo triangle, but I am not opposed to Bones trying new stuff out. If Cam gets back with Arastoo fine, if she stays with Sebastian fine as well. I hope Pej stays on the show (I love Pej) but I was never too invested on this ship. All my ships left on the show are BB and Hodgela.
(It pisses me off to no end that we don't know when the show is coming back.)
So in conclusion? You give me more TJ/Hodgins, I'm gonna be happy. I love him so much. (The final scene was though to take, but oh well..pretty sure I'll be crying during the next 2-3 episodes every time Hodgins has a scene.)
word count: 852

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Emma once the episode has aired in the US, episode threads are free to be added. We assume people know there will be things in the thread about the episode so they can not read it if they haven't seen it and don't want spoilers. Not a big deal about the other thread we just wanted to keep all the episode talk in the episode thread.

Marta I did like the episode and yes, I've read that they are going to keep him in the wheelchair longer but who knows what will happen if they don't know if the show is going to be renewed? The interview that TJ did for TV guide is very interesting and probably should be put in the spoilers section because he said A LOT. I'll add the link there and if that was the one you wanted to discuss that would be the best place to do it-or any other interviews with spoilers in them that is a good place to put them.
Steph (and everyone really) you are really going to want to read the article. I think it is one of the best I've ever seen from TJ and you really, really get the feel for how excited he is about this whole storyline.
word count: 219

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Already found the article online, many thanks, Sharon! Really good stuff!
word count: 11

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

Basically I could quote Marta's comment :)

I'm thrilled for the consequences of this cliffhanger, and after reading we are going to see Hodgins face this problem for some time I'm even more excited.

Obviously there are inconsistencies in the episode, but I'm use to that, every show has its problem with keeping things real all the time, I can't focus only on what's wrong or I would stop enjoying any show. I can't wait to see what's next, but - based on what TJ said during the last chat - I'm worried too, ratings were terrible and, with the lawsuits and everything, it not looks good for Bones

Last but not least, I suggest you to read TJ interview with TV Guide, it's very interesting and I'm really excited to watch what's left of this season.
word count: 146

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

omelette73 wrote: Last but not least, I suggest you to read TJ interview with TV Guide, it's very interesting and I'm really excited to watch what's left of this season.
:smile: I think I've heard that somewhere before. ;-) (sorry teasing because look two posts above yours HAHAHA)
word count: 50

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

Okay, perfect, I'll discuss the interviews in the thread 8-)
word count: 10

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

skftex wrote:Emma once the episode has aired in the US, episode threads are free to be added. We assume people know there will be things in the thread about the episode so they can not read it if they haven't seen it and don't want spoilers. Not a big deal about the other thread we just wanted to keep all the episode talk in the episode thread.
Thanks, that makes sense :dance:
word count: 74

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS STORYLINE! YAY for giving TJ and Michaela a good storyline.

Okay, that shot of him lying on the ground was scary--with his eyes open like that I thought for a second they had killed him.

It's so sad at the same time, though...I watched early Saturday morning and was bummed for about half the day. :sad: :D Usually I get over TV drama more quickly than that!

General note: I think the show should cut back on bringing in new characters (squints/extra consultants) all the time and concentrate on developing the characters they already have. It's not that I dislike any of them. I just can't even remember all of their names at this point. I know Edison, Arastoo, Wendell, Daisy, & Fisher (oh please come back, my Prince of Darkness). These guys are the ones I'm invested.

I agree with many of the other comments about this episode, and overall I thought it was one of the best of the season.

In short, bring on the angst, baby! *snaps rubber band*
word count: 182
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sculder1013 wrote:and sorry for the other post I started. I didnt want to include spoilers straight away in case I got shouted at. lol
Hey Emma!
No need to apologise! Personally, I am a complete 'spoiler whore' and desperate for any new material I can hear about, when I have time to seek it out. But I hope that Sharon and I have made the etiquette here gentle and logical (as opposed to some other sites, where I know mods do shout at members and where weights are generally thrown around a little too readily). If people don't want to be spoilt they know not to come into threads for eps they haven't seen. Similarly for threads which include a warning like yours and, of course, the spoiler thread. Simples. We do have a strict rule about not spoiling in the chat box where anyone could come for a chinwag and unintentionally spot a spoiler, but even so we are nice to each other. Thank you for your concern. Let me reiterate Sharon (Sharon must get fed up with being reiterated); the only reason I closed your thread is because it is customary just to have the one thread for episode discussion.

I am excited about this too! I'll say more when I have a moment...as ever...
word count: 222

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

ThyneAlone wrote:

On another tack, Jessi, could you let me know what's going on with Cam and Arastoo? I seem to have missed a lot there. Well, obviously. :)
Sure:
After Brennan got back Arastoo needed to find another job.And instead of proposing, like he had planned to do, he and Cam broke up because she wouldn't quit her job and he didn't know where his new job would take him (not that this makes any sense to me but anyway). Cam recently started dating Sebastian, Angela's mentor, but was very reluctant because she is still not over Arastoo (I think that much you know).
So in the first episode we see Cam in bed with Sebastian (ugh) and he is wearing her pink satin robe (yuck). Later he stops by the lab and asks her to go on a walk with him. She says no because while she likes the fun they have she wants nothing more than fun. Daisy overhears and later tells her that you should not close your heart after a loss. (I really don't like Daisy) So in the end Cam goes for a walk with the guy (hand in hand...)
In the second epic Arastoo shows up at the lab after the explosion. He is worried for Cam because he saw it on the new and wants to make sure she is alright. She is uncomfortable, assures him she is ok, but he offers to help with the case. Brennan agrees and so Cam gives in. Later there are some awkward moments and then Arastoo finds out from Hodgins that Cam is seeing someone. Cam meanwhile finds out from Brennan that Arastoo can't find a job, because when she asked him he said he didn't have one and that "it has been rough for him" since he left. However he doesn't want Brennan to help him.
So in the end when the case is solved Arastoo goes to Cam and tells her that he has been lying to her. He admits that while he doesn't have a job yet some facility in Berlin has been trying to get him to work for them. Cam says that it great and wonders why he hasn't accepted. So he tells her that she is not in Berlin and he therefor can't accept the job. He says that he regrets leaving her and wants her back, with or without a job. She gets choked up and tells him to "not do this" and says that she is seeing someone. He admits that he knows and wants to know if it's serious. She tells him she doesn't know and he remarks that if she doesn't know it can't be serious. he tells her he loves her and asks her for another chance... and then Angela screams, they rush to Hodgins and Arastoo calls the ambulance. The last time we see them they sit awkwardly beside each other at the hospital (later they stand) while they get the news on Hodgins. The end ;) (Well, hopefully not.)

As for the crappy treatment of future sls: If I had a say (which I don't) Hodgins would not leave that wheelchair again before the show hits at least season 15 and then only with a really good medical explanation. I think you're right to worry, I do too, but I hope that they will not work any miracle story line and make him walk again by the end of the season. I think if there's one thing they are aware of it's that the audience of Bones likes realities and facts more than unrealistic sls.

And let me just add how glad I am that here a real discussion is going on about the episode as well as everything else. At another Forum (I used to go there for another show and it was great back then) it has come to one sentence posts like "Oh no. Poor guy" for pages after page. It really annoys me. So thank you!
word count: 686

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Jessi that is one of the things I loved about this group from the beginning. We do discuss the episodes, and we even have different opinions about things and discuss these differences with respect. I absolutely LOVE reading how other people viewed the episode, I like how excited you are about the Cam/Arastoo relationship and how that brings in a bit of a different perspective into watching the show because most of us are understandably Hodgins focused.

As for the whole paralysis thing, it is looking like they are going to take it very seriously and they have no intention of rushing it so no miraculous recovery at this point-read some of the links that peppernights put in the spoiler talk thread, they are amazing. I honestly really do like the shift in the show and how it is starting to feel like the show is once again more about all of them.
word count: 155

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

skftex wrote:
omelette73 wrote: Last but not least, I suggest you to read TJ interview with TV Guide, it's very interesting and I'm really excited to watch what's left of this season.
:smile: I think I've heard that somewhere before. ;-) (sorry teasing because look two posts above yours HAHAHA)
Ahhhh I was interrupted while writing my answer and it took me a lot to post it, when I first start writing your answer wasn't there! LOL
word count: 80