Bones 12.10 The Radioactive Panthers in the Party

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Bones 12.10 The Radioactive Panthers in the Party

Post by skftex »

I think this episode was just not very good. I felt the whole thing with the film and the radioactive panthers was just trying too hard to be campy B-movie like that it just came across as eye rolling. But then maybe that is what they were going for, who knows.

The Wendell story line is a bit of a head-scratcher as well. It just seemed to come out of nowhere, suddenly he isn't that interested in being a forensic anthropologist? I realize sometimes things change for people, and a job you loved can suddenly be not what you really want to do, but it just didn't seem to fit to me.

It is always nice to see Betty White, and Dr. Mayer losing interest in the job and Brennan talking to her about it is supposed to make us think Brennan is feeling that way until the end when she talks to Wendell. Someone that didn't already know what was coming will have to tell me whether that worked or not, as I already knew it was about Wendell. So, did you think it they were leading to Brennan wanting to walk away?

Hodgins liking B-movies was good, and how into this horrible panther movie he was, it was funny. And yes, I can see him making Angela watch bad movies with giant bugs. HAHAHAHAHA

Hodgins' suggestion to Wendell for his doctorate thesis was good "Hulk Bones: A Study on the skeletal effects of limitless physical strength." Poor Wendell, he'd actually have to have Hulk bones to write the paper.

Hodgins: "It'll show them that you can think outside of the box."
Cam: "Or that you''re completely out of your mind." :laughing-rolling:

Hodgins shouldn't just roll up on people like that. As fast as he moves in that chair, I imagine he does that a lot!

"Come to Papa you nasty little piece of flesh." That is just so very Hodgins.

I was hoping Bud from Married with Children was the killer because he was annoying me and the stupid panther movie was his idea. But nope.

That is about all I have on this one. Two to go, they should be interesting! Too bad they wasted one of the 12 on this one.

word count: 384
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Bones 12.10 The Radioactive Panthers in the Party

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm with Sharon on this... the case seemed like kind of a waste of time, especially given how few episodes are remaining before this series is complete. I don't have a ton to say about it.

In general...

I liked the exchange between Cam and Hodgins when he startled her and she told him not to "roll up" on her so quietly like that. What I especially loved was Cam's "oops" facial expression as she turned away, after Hodgins reminded her that he couldn't help but roll up on her without making a sound, given that he's in a wheelchair. Heee.

I liked Booth giving Aubrey a shot, though personally I thought Booth was just being a pain in the ass, not intentionally pushing him to make sure he could hold his own. But then I've never really seen Aubrey as lower on the chain of command than Booth; I've always seen them more as partners and equals on cases, working together, so it felt weird to see Aubrey being treated like some sort of newbie who has to prove himself.

Nevertheless, there were interesting parallels between Booth and Aubrey (the passing of control from one agent to another, and Booth seemingly trying to take back control), and the victim and his murderer (who gave control of his shop to the woman who ended up murdering him because he was going to take control back). Also paralleling Booth and Aubrey in another way were Brennan and Wendell, in how Brennan tested Wendell to see if he really wanted the job.

I agree with Sharon that it seemed kind of random that Wendell suddenly wasn't interested in the work, but I guess out of all the interns if there was one who didn't seem completely fascinated by anthropology, it could be Wendell. I could see him wanting to do other things, while most of the other interns seemed much more driven for the work that Brennan does. (Especially Daisy and Clark.)

It was a "just fine" episode. Hodgins' enthusiasm for bad B-movies was entertaining (he is ever a man of "odd enthusiasms," LOL), and I liked seeing both Booth and Brennan giving their people a chance to spread their wings (so to speak) and take a chance out there in the world, even if it means leaving Booth's FBI or Brennan's team in the Jeffersonian.

However, beyond those subtle goodbyes, I felt like the case was a waste of time. There are only TWO episodes left and they're going to wrap up Zack's case, Cam's wedding, and stir up a whole new thing for Booth and Brennan only two episodes?? I'm dubious and concerned.
word count: 459
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:However, beyond those subtle goodbyes, I felt like the case was a waste of time. There are only TWO episodes left and they're going to wrap up Zack's case, Cam's wedding, and stir up a whole new thing for Booth and Brennan only two episodes?? I'm dubious and concerned.
They do. Can't promise you'll LIKE it but they do wrap it all up. :eusa-whistle:
word count: 71
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thanks, Sharon!

With that in mind, I think I'll prepare my caps lock for potential SHOUTING in annoyance about whatever they may do. ;) Prepare yourselves. Depending on their choices, there could be cursing. We'll see... :laughing-rollingred:
word count: 37
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Really? We might not even like it?
And here was I thinking that 'radioactive panthers' were bad enough.. but I'll give that the benefit of the doubt till I have seen it.
word count: 33
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Can't wait to hear what you think of the panthers, Steph! ;)
word count: 12

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

ThyneAlone wrote:Really? We might not even like it?
And here was I thinking that 'radioactive panthers' were bad enough.. but I'll give that the benefit of the doubt till I have seen it.
Steph, we don't all look for the same thing in the episodes, so I can't say whether you are Sherry will be pleased with the way things are done. You might love it! But I'm fairly certain you aren't going to be impressed with the radioactive panthers.
word count: 86

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I reckon you've been pretty generous about this one, girls, with your references to the humour and the theme of control, be it of other people, a business or your own life (you could argue that Wendell is trying to take back control to find a new direction). I just found it all rather pointless and inconsequential. In fact there was a short period in the middle of the episode where I actually lost track of the plot, wasn't seeing any connections and started to wonder whether we were focused on real panthers or pretend ones. And while I liked Jack's fascination with the schlocky B movies, which is very Hodgins, I certainly couldn't appreciate this one. Bad isn't the word - and I have a fair B movie tolerance. No, sorry, despite some good dialogue and the presence of Betty White (whose homespun philosophies I could have done without, though), this was tedious and barely credible. A waste of a good cast.
word count: 167

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm
The Wendell story line is a bit of a head-scratcher as well. It just seemed to come out of nowhere, suddenly he isn't that interested in being a forensic anthropologist? I realize sometimes things change for people, and a job you loved can suddenly be not what you really want to do, but it just didn't seem to fit to me.

It is always nice to see Betty White, and Dr. Mayer losing interest in the job and Brennan talking to her about it is supposed to make us think Brennan is feeling that way until the end when she talks to Wendell. Someone that didn't already know what was coming will have to tell me whether that worked or not, as I already knew it was about Wendell. So, did you think it they were leading to Brennan wanting to walk away?
Oh yes, I forgot. I wasn't convinced by Wendell's sudden volte-face either, and Brennan's talk with Dr Meyer did not fool me for one minute into thinking she had lost interest. Even though we know the series is coming to an end! She just sounded vaguely, blandly interested in Meyer's change of direction, which she seemed to find hard to credit. If they had wanted to convince, they'd have had to go a bit deeper than that IMHO.
word count: 240

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

You ladies pretty much covered it on this episode. For being one of the last episodes it was a disappointment. And I too was hoping that Bud was the killer. It would've been funny since that actor was playing himself.
word count: 41
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

But seriously, is he really that irritating?
word count: 7