The Jack And Angela Relationship

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

The Jack And Angela Relationship

Post by begolden »

Okay, we definitely needed this topic! I think TJ's popularity on "Bones" increased once he was given the opportunity to play a romantic role. He is completely convincing as well as adorable as smitten Jack. I'm so glad the writers noticed that he had the chemistry with Michaela and decided to write their romance into the ongoing storyline.
word count: 60
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Oh yes, I'm absolutely smitten with both TJ, Jack, AND the Jack/Angela (=Hodgela) relationship. They're just too cute for words, and their scenes together were sometimes sweet enough to rot teeth (hey ... maybe that's why I had my terrifying trip to the dentist!). Jack seems like the perfect man - he's sweet, he's caring, he's all in it for Angela, and would do anything to make her happy. What more could that girl want!?!?

What did you guys think of the non-wedding ending? Any qualms about what will happen next year? Will the writers let Jack and Angela be together, or will they continue their mean streak of putting up every obstacle in the world in this poor couple's way?? (btw - I read spoiler, and I know a few others around here do too, so I know a *bit* of what will happen).
word count: 151

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I think they're going to put up obstacles. I mean, look at us, all on tenterhooks awaiting some kind of closure, how are they not going to prolong that agony? There would have been better ways of doing this. If there had been normal stuff such as arguments, short-lived tensions at work, the odd jealous moment - the slow development of a proper relationship, they could have done a believable wedding without messing it up. As it is, well, we got an unrealistic rush and an improbable previous marriage, the legality of which Angela was informed about last season and would logically have taken steps to annul before another relationship got too serious. Hmph. They deserved better. Certainly their always excellent acting did. :roll:
word count: 124

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I'd like to think that the writers themselves are rooting for Jack, and will ultimately let him have his dream girl (aka, Angela). However, their priority seems to be in creating drama for all the characters, so could we have expected anything else but constant roadblocks to the characters' happiness? I am willing to stick it out through the whole Angela-must-find-her-first-husband-in-order-to-marry-Jack storyline, as long as her relationship with Jack remains solid through the thick and thin of it. As I said, I'd like to think the writers are somewhat partial to the Hodgins character, and wouldn't put him through any kind of extreme emotional torture.
word count: 118

saburcat
Fan

Post by saburcat »

Well, I seem to be learning more about the end of season 2. My own fault for not discovering sooner. Since I can't speak to the storyline from the second season, I can say I love the way Hodgins starts to realize his interest in Angela in the first season. Those cute little smiles to himself when she says something pithy to him.

As for obstacles, I just hope the writers don't go the way of most, and over-kill the storyline. You know, start throwing in these totally unrealistic things that just make you roll your eyes and throw things at the TV set. Too many really good TV shows were ruined because the writers got too far fetched. Boston Public comes to mind.

Weez
word count: 128
Imagination is more important than knowledge ~Einstein
But without knowledge, what kind of imagination will you have? ~me

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

i think the jack and angela relationship is done really well and so sweet.
jack is the guy every woman dreams of. i am deffinatly hodgela shipper.
word count: 27
"COCENTRATE ON WHAT CANNOT LIE. THE EVIDENCE" GIL GRISSOM

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

saburcat wrote:
As for obstacles, I just hope the writers don't go the way of most, and over-kill the storyline. You know, start throwing in these totally unrealistic things that just make you roll your eyes and throw things at the TV set. Too many really good TV shows were ruined because the writers got too far fetched. Boston Public comes to mind.

Weez
Sadly, I think it's too late for that kind of hope... Do you follow the spoilers? I won't say too much more (perhaps we need a spoiler thread on this board?), but there do seem to be some fantastic (as in unbelievable) plot complications ahead for Jack and Angela. I can survive them as long as their relationship survives, but I'm rolling my eyes even now...
word count: 135

saburcat
Fan

Post by saburcat »

Sadly, I think it's too late for that kind of hope... Do you follow the spoilers? I won't say too much more (perhaps we need a spoiler thread on this board?), but there do seem to be some fantastic (as in unbelievable) plot complications ahead for Jack and Angela. I can survive them as long as their relationship survives, but I'm rolling my eyes even now...
No, I don't know anything about spoilers. I'm kind of new to the message board thing, the only other one I belong to is for pet skunks. I can take some unbelievability, if (as you said) their relationship survives. To be honest, as the first season rolled along, I was a little put off by the Jack/Angela thing at first. I mean, there was the scene where Jack and Zach are racing cockroaches, and Angela makes the comment that she's off to "have sex" and Jack's like "yeah, whatever, have fun." But then there is the Christmas episode where Jack has that gorgeous woman come visit. Then suddenly he notices Angela. So at first I thought "cheesy" but in reading the show guides from the second season and seeing that their relationship does progress (but, of course, not having actually seen any 2nd season episodes, I can only read about it, which isn't as much fun) and from what all you have written about it, it sounds like the writers are doing a good job with it so far. Maybe we should start a "Save Hodgela" club.

Weez
word count: 263

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Saburcat, are we spoiling things for you by dropping hints and stuff? Because if you want to avoid second season (or even third season!) spoilers, we can easily create a separate thread so that we can discuss issues to come without you having to worry about seeing them. I know, even with only a little experience, that most people either love or loathe spoilers - there isn't much neutral ground!
word count: 70

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I think the spoiler thread is in order, because there are some really fun ones just posted on the Live Journal Spoiler site--I for one would love to talk about them! Join us if you dare, Saburcat! And kudos to you for having a pet skunk! Have you ever read "Stinker From Space"? It's a children's novel, but highly entertaining. My students always love it when I read it to them. Obviously, it stars a skunk. Okay, enough off-topic...
word count: 83

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey, I think a little offtopic getting to know each other is excusable. A skunk! Wow! They're so cute looking, but I don't think I'd like to get too near one!
word count: 34

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

New poster... and it's wonderful to finally see TJ's site refreshed, and to have a place to talk TJ. And since this is the Jack and Angela thread, here's my $.02 about them

I do love Jack and Angela, but mainly because it gives TJ -- and Michaela, who is amazing as well -- more time onscreen. Plus, it offsets what the showrunners have to do with the main pairing, so I get it from the writers' prespective. That said, I miss the more abrasive Jack and the more wary Angela of season one and felt that their romance felt really rushed.

Would anyone else have preferred a much longer, more thorny courtship leading up to the big love? Although... the fireworks once the heavy dose of 'new love schmoop' wear off could be amazing to see, especially because TJ and Michaela could do so much with it!
word count: 149
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

late_heart wrote: That said, I miss the more abrasive Jack and the more wary Angela of season one and felt that their romance felt really rushed.

Would anyone else have preferred a much longer, more thorny courtship leading up to the big love? Although... the fireworks once the heavy dose of 'new love schmoop' wear off could be amazing to see, especially because TJ and Michaela could do so much with it!
I agree that it was rushed, especially after the first date episode. My biggest complaint is that we've seen the relationship almost exclusively from Hodgins' point of view. We can infer from "Aliens in a Spaceship" that Angela realizes how much she cares for Jack when he goes missing and may be dead, and we can infer from "Headless Witch in the Woods" that she breaks down and begins a physical relationship with him. A little too much inferring and not enough exposition! I would have liked to have seen Angela's thought process as she grapples with her feelings of both desire and fear concerning a relationship with Jack, as well as a more overt expression of her own growing love for him. I say Michaela should feel a little jipped as an actress!
word count: 209

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Couldn't agree more with the pair of you *big wave and hi to late_heart* Yes, the relationship should have been conducted in less of a ridiculous rush, yes, the odd clash and argument would underline their individual characters (abrasive Jack/wary Angela) and offer more of a challenge to the brilliant actors, and, yes, yes, yes, a bit more of how
Angela feels would be far more satisfying and realistic!

Goodness, that was a long and involved 'ditto'.
word count: 80

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

begolden wrote:
saburcat wrote:

Weez
I've been reading the sides because I can't help it -- and to be completely honest, I read the sides for the squints' dialogue and storylines. I skip most of the two leads' dialogue because that way I'm at least surprised a little when the show airs. And I'm with you -- there's some pretty wide stretches coming up. TJ's got such a way with heartbreaking expressions -- they kill me -- so as long as there aren't many of them, I'll be cool. :D
word count: 225
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

What an intelligent way to deal with sides. Kudos. You get away with not knowing whodunnit from time to time, I imagine!
Heartbreaking expressions...TJ does them superbly. It's like watching a door open on a mind (he's got such a range, hasn't he; he does comedy with style too). I look forward to seeing maybe one slightly sad face from Michaela in S3 (that isn't meant to sound mean!). She too is astonishingly versatile, and we've seen angry, jealous, adoring, amused, awkward, flirtatious - but nothing of the same intensity that TJ is directing at her. Hmmph.
word count: 102

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

late_heart wrote: I've been reading the sides because I can't help it -- and to be completely honest, I read the sides for the squints' dialogue and storylines. I skip most of the two leads' dialogue because that way I'm at least surprised a little when the show airs. And I'm with you -- there's some pretty wide stretches coming up. TJ's got such a way with heartbreaking expressions -- they kill me -- so as long as there aren't many of them, I'll be cool. :D
That's kind of how I read them too--I skim to see the names Hodgins and/or Angela, and that's what I focus on. I guess I don't really care about what's going on with the leads, although when I watch the filmed episode, I do care more about all the characters and the overall plot.
word count: 151

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

ThyneAlone wrote: Heartbreaking expressions...TJ does them superbly. It's like watching a door open on a mind (he's got such a range, hasn't he; he does comedy with style too). I look forward to seeing maybe one slightly sad face from Michaela in S3 (that isn't meant to sound mean!). She too is astonishingly versatile, and we've seen angry, jealous, adoring, amused, awkward, flirtatious - but nothing of the same intensity that TJ is directing at her. Hmmph.
I'm sure Michaela would agree, and is just waiting for the chance to be allowed to show a little emotion! Of course, I'm exaggerating there, but compared to what TJ has been asked to do in the last season, Michaela is getting jipped! Although it seems like the plot line for them in season three might finally give her the chance to explore a broader range of feeling for the character.
word count: 155

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Amen to that! :wink:
word count: 3

saburcat
Fan

Post by saburcat »

Wow, go away for a day and you miss a ton. I'm not going to bother quoting people, since it would take up too much time/room. Briefly...yes, I have a pet skunk, descented at 4 weeks of age and he's a sweetie (when he's asleep...when he's awake he can be a bit of a biter).

I thought the obvious attraction of Hodges to Angela in the first season came out of no where at first. It seemed to start after Zack told Hodges he tried to be taller around Angela and Brennan. But anyway, when I read the episode guides from season 2, I found out about the budding romance and wedding stuff, and I thought it seemed like it moved fast (but, not knowing the details, I could be wrong), but from what you all are saying, it does seem like it moves fast. It happens too much in TV, the writers' pick a storyline and beat it to death. But at the same time, I know they have to keep any romance between Bones and Booth under wraps because they are the main set. As long as they twiddle along with their barely repressed sexual tension, everyone else can go be hanged.

As for spoilers (I see the new thread), I tend not to do that, although I don't blame those that do. For me it would be like reading the ending of a book first. That said, I am not above a peak once in a while, so who knows. But don't feel you have to tip-toe around anything just because I didn't have the good sense to discover this gem before season 2. And, after September 11th, I'll have season two under my belt too and ready for S3.

I'm guessing "sides" are the actual scripts? How do you manage to get your hands on them? Just curious.

Weez
word count: 326