Bones 6.03 'The Maggots in the Meathead'

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
AmyLynn
Fan

Bones 6.03 'The Maggots in the Meathead'

Post by AmyLynn »

Ok, I don't see a thread starting yet, so I'll take my chances and start. (I don't think I like going first...lol)

To begin with, I love Emily's new look..the haircut is her.

Opening scene...eww gross...lol. I think it's one of the grosser ones in a while!! And the jupping "maggots" how cool was that? Hodgins was so cute catching them!

And that was about the highlight of this episode for me...I was very dissapointed in it. 'Jersey Shore' idea was a miss in my book. My biggest problem with it was they made Brennan look like a total dolt. Come on, she's got a genius IQ...I know she takes things literally and lives in a little intellectual box, but really?? Believing 'Jersey Shore' was a documentary then spouting off the anthropolgy of it as though it was a well studied subject and not a really dumb show? They really over did that in my eyes.

Hannah and Booth...wow, that was some scene. I have to admit they look good together, but looks aren't everything. Sweets comments about the origin of how/where the romance between them started, (not unlike Keeanu Reeves comment in the movie 'speed.') and the difference of where the romance is now I think is a big factor of truth in relationships such as this. Also the fact that it was easier to fall for someone when Brennan was no where around to be a daily tangible reminder. It's gotta kill Booth to see Brennan fighting emotion to deal with this being thrown in her face. It's not like she can hide it 100 percent.

Brennan is a bigger woman than me, cause I don't think I could go as far as helping her get the perfect gift for him, no matter how much I liked her or was trying to be a good person. Why should she get credit for Brennan's intimate knowledge of him. (Of course, I would have already tracked down the item and gifted him with it if it was me...lol)

I did find the murder plot..the whole ice thing, really lame and unimpressive...both the other suspects and motives were much better than the actual 'reality'. I just tought it was really dumb...they keep taking my ice? And his comment 'They all look a like.' I get why, but I think it was bad taste.

Over all...I consider this one a big miss!!
word count: 424

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 6.03 'The Maggots in the Meathead'

Post by ThyneAlone »

I haven't got round to viewing this yet; am I going to suffer through not knowing what the heck Jersey Shore is?? :(
word count: 23
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Search for it on YouTube or something, Steph. I'm sure you'll find some clips related to the frightening hideousness that is Jersey Shore. Then you may need to steel yourself for what you're about to watch on Bones. It's pretty over-the-top.

*hugs you*

:D
word count: 49

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

First off, I'd like to say that I could do without seeing Booth & Hannah in bed every episode.

Hodgins & the bouncing maggots were funny, & I was even finding Fisher somewhat interesting this week.

I wasn't looking forward to the "Jersey Shore" theme, & every moment I was continually reminded why I don't watch that show. The theme certainly did not bring out the best in Brennan, either. Seriously, she is more & more often portrayed as a social moron, rather than just as merely disconnected from current social fads. BTW, when did she get a TV again? The only Brennan bit that I actually found amusing was when she seemed to drop into Jersey-speak unintentionally at the lab, "That's so random, yo."

It seemed like most people were supportive of Sweets in his attempt to dissuade Booth from living together with Hannah. I actually thought this was probably one of those times when he should have minded his own business. IMO, whether he thinks it's the right time (or right person), it's Booth's & Hannah's decision. I think he should just support his friend & be there for him whatever happens. Besides, how much of his urging toward caution might actually be traced back to him getting burned by Daisy after investing himself in that relationship?

As for Brennan, I can understand her attempts to make sure that Booth is happy, even if it means helping someone else make him happy. Been there, done that.
word count: 250
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

SHaNe_C
Fan

Post by SHaNe_C »

loved this. i watch jersey shore with my sister, stupid, yea, but funny.

i get you guys, though, it's not as funny if you don't know what jersey shore is. brennan just don't get it, but she was lol all night!!! :mrgreen:
word count: 44

losersaxplayer
Fan

Post by losersaxplayer »

I thought the Jersey Shore bit was pretty funny with Brennan (I don't watch the show, but Brennan made me laugh using the vernacular).

I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I like Hannah. I think she adds a lot to the "situation" but I could use a little less of her on the show. It seems as though its all about Hannah. Might just be me.

And lastly where the heck is Hodgins?!? He was hardly in this episode!

Overall I thought it was a good episode, I laughed a lot even at the corny stuff.
word count: 100
"Never, Never, Never Quit" - Winston Churchill

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I think Brennan was pretty annoying in this episode! No other thoughts. Not one of my favourites!
word count: 17
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I looked over the episode descriptions on IMDb, but it looks like I only saw the first 4 episodes when they first aired, not 6 or 7. So after this one, there will only be one more that I've already seen.

I notice I didn't respond much about this one when it first aired. I'm not surprised. The case is semi-interesting, but in an overall sense the episode was fairly over-the-top with all the Jersey Shore behaviors. I suppose some people really do act like that intentionally, but it's all too much for me. (And those steroid-like, overly musclebound bodies are not attractive to me, so I don't see the appeal, but that's just me.)

Nevertheless, this time around I did jot down some thoughts:

All this 'guido'/Jersey Shore stuff makes me roll my eyes. They behave like Booth says: dumbass kids. But I like that the main suspect has an alibi because he took his mother to see "Billy Elliot." That's funny, and kind of sweet. (And Booth -- don't you dare make fun of that. It's a fantastic film!)

However, I did laugh at the scene where Sweets explains all the text messages, and they finish with this exchange:

BOOTH: (looking down at a text) 4Q?
SWEETS: Um… I think that one's pretty self-explanatory.

LOL.

I also liked the scene in which Cam figures out that Angela is pregnant. Her joy for Angela is radiant, and I giggled a little at the thought of a 'little baby Hodgins' running around. Can you imagine how cute that would be? I think Hodgins and Angela will be fascinating parents.

Fisher amuses and disturbs me at the same time. His morbid fascination with death is disconcerting. But I have to laugh at his attempts to be more positive. "These injuries are fascinating!" *GRIN* Okay, then. And it's kind of endearing that Cam and Hodgins see him yawning and immediately freak out that he's going to get all depressed again and sleep for 2 months straight. The quirky bond amongst all the Jeffersonian employees is really sweet.

Again with Sweets commenting on Booth's love life. *eyeroll upon eyeroll* The over-emphasis of this is about as subtle as a brick to the head. We get it -- Sweets thinks it's too soon, and that Booth doesn't actually love Hannah like he probably deep down loves Bones. Enough already. Let us SEE that through the actions of the characters, not through scene upon scene of TALKING about it. Is the whole season like this? Tell me now, so I can mentally prepare myself for it and then maybe I won't get so annoyed. (Maybe.)

The moments throughout this episode where Brennan offers congratulations to Hannah and Booth about them moving in together, all the times she smiles at them but in a tight-lipped, sad-eyed sort of way? Those are so much more subtle than any of the repeated conversations about how Booth and Brennan have feeeeeelings for each other. Instead, we can see it in Brennan's body language, and her emotions just come through. Far better than to hit us over the head with it verbally over and over and over again...

Not annoying at all? How committed Hodgins is to his job. I love that he corrects even Angela when she says cement instead of concrete, explaining that cement is what's used to MAKE concrete. It's kind of like his diatribe about dirt, which I also love. It's just a nice little detail to remind me how smart Hodgins is, and how good at his job he is, and how there are so many little details to a job like his (and the jobs of everyone who examines the body and all the evidence in a case). It's fascinating, and fun!

(And yes, it makes me adore Hodgins all the more. What? Nothing wrong with that, right?? LOL.)

Even though most of Brennan's Jersey Shore posturing was ridiculously over-the-top, I did laugh when she got into the club by saying "'Sup," giving the bouncer a one-armed guy hug and walking right past him into the club as if she belonged there. And the attitude she gave Booth right at the end of the episode when he dared to suggest that maybe her team (Cam and Hodgins) got the death timeline wrong was a funny way to show that she stands behind her team and that she knows they don't often make mistakes.

Side note: interesting that the killer's excuse for killing the wrong guy is "They [the Jersey Shore guys] all look alike." I wonder if it was an intentional bit of casting to make the killer African-American, given that a horrible form of prejudice against African-Americans has been for the racist to think they all 'look alike.' (Which of course is ridiculous.) So that was an odd, ironic bit of reverse-racism for the African-American character to think that about a bunch of Jersey muscleheads.

I must be all about the sweetness this week, because I loved when Booth figured out Angela was pregnant. His affection for her is very sweet. We don't often get to see their friendship, but it's there and it's really adorable.

I also find it curious in an intriguing way that Hannah seems to be a mix of the women in Booth's life. She's bold and forthright like Brennan; she's kind of a gypsy traveler like Angela; she's smart and beautiful, like Brennan, Cam AND Angela. I don't know if that was intentional, but I find it interesting all the same. :D

I continue to like Hannah, though I do think the writers are pushing too hard. It's like they're trying to say: Look, she didn't even know what to buy Booth as a house-warming gift -- she doesn't know him as well as Brennan, so clearly they don't belong together. Again, about as subtle as a brick to the head. Or, in the case of this episode, about as subtle as a plastic, concrete-filled bat to the head. ;)
word count: 1052