Bones 6.04 The Body in the Bounty

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Bones 6.04 The Body in the Bounty

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I liked this episode.

Let us pause a moment to digest that shocking news. :shock:

Has the world as we know it ended??

:mrgreen:

Seriously, some of the dialogue was a bit stilted, but overall I thought it was a decent episode. And where (based on the overly wacky commercials for this ep) I thought I would find the Science Dude annoying, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoyed David Alan Grier's performance. I thought he balanced nicely the silly 'making science understandable for kids' schtick with the actually quite intelligent and observant man who knew when to get serious (especially with Brennan testing him all the time).

And though I missed the resolution of the murder because of a phone call that would never end, I came back in time for Brennan to make her appearance on his show in front of all those kids, and I was pleasantly surprised to find Brennan's outfit and behavior on the show didn't annoy me and wasn't as out of character as I thought it was going to be. I liked that she finally got into the spirit of it all, and I LOVED how her fellow squints cheered her on (and couldn't stop laughing at their boss being all silly-like, heee). That was fantastic. I thought it was terrific that they ended on a genuine moment with everyone, rather than forcing an unnecessary Booth/Brennan 'moment.'

And Hodgins and Cam with Science Dude were both really funny. As elegant and classy as Cam is, I liked seeing that she may have a bit of 'science geek' in her. After all, there must be a reason why she chose to go into that field. I loved Hodgins' sheepishness when he realized he probably shouldn't have admitted to turning Science Dude's show into a college drinking game. :D Hilarious. I also liked the continuity of Hodgins' great enthusiasm for science.

Great job, TJ! You made me laugh. :clap:
word count: 332
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 6.04 The Body in the Bounty

Post by skftex »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:I liked this episode.

Let us pause a moment to digest that shocking news. :shock:

Has the world as we know it ended??

:mrgreen:

ImageImage

*recovers slowly and pulls herself up in order to type something....

I liked most of it too, I wasn't impressed with they resolution of the case, it was like the just stumbled upon it. I did like that they actually referenced some things from a long time ago (tilly the cadaver dog).

Hodgins drinking that stuff was funny.

I like David Alan Grier and I also thought it was going to be annoying but he didn't annoy me most of the time. :)

Oh, and I believe Brennan could murder someone and Booth wouldn't catch her. And I loved the look she gave him in the car! LOL Though I could do without the advertisements for Toyota stuck into the show. What happened to her fancy car that was given to her by the publishers?
Last edited by skftex on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 161
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I missed the resolution of the case because I was on the phone, but from the things I've heard it sounded out of whack. Yeah, the bounty hunter, she's such a nice gal, she didn't mean to kill the guy with the bean bag gun... and then dismember him. :doh:

I still don't think the show is on track with the way they treat suspects or victims these days, but at least I can say that I enjoyed the science part. It was 'amaaaaazing!' ;)

I think it was a different dog than the original, that one was named Tootie and was lighter in color, from what I recall. But the actress was the same, and I agree with you, Sharon -- I liked that they had that continuity.

And yeah... :shifty: ... Brennan could totally get away with it. Except that I think Booth knows her well enough now that she wouldn't be able to get away with emotional 'tells' he probably sees in her now. But the physical evidence, for sure. LOL. They'd never be able to convict her. :D
word count: 182

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

You know, I was thinking that the dog's name didn't sound quite right, but they tried I guess! LOL

I didn't go back and check so of course I'm sure you are right! You are always right! GO SHERRY! ;)

Sharon
word count: 44
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm not always right! LOL. I once argued with a friend of mine over a couple of X-Files details, and on the one thing, I was totally right but on the other thing, TOTALLY WRONG. But I admitted to being wrong, so there's that at least. :D

As for the dog, I just went with the idea that Tootie had died and this was their new cadaver dog. :mrgreen: I'm trying to remember the episode that Tootie appeared in. Do you remember, Sharon? I know she sat down on carpet and Brennan drew around her in chalk, and Booth had trouble believing that she wasn't just lying down for a nap (heee), but I can't remember which body was found and what episode. It must be an episode I've seen quite a few times or I probably wouldn't remember all those details. :think:
word count: 148

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

The Man in the Wall. The one where Brennan kicks the guy and he goes through the wall so they find the DJ that got stuck in there and was killed. Right? :D

word count: 32

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I couldn't say for sure, so I looked it up. You're right! The dog 'found' the body of rapper's girlfriend, the one whose belly ring got torn out (which grossed out Brennan, LOL). Well done, Sharon.

(And now guess what episode of Gilmore Girls happens to be on cable, while I'm waiting for my laundry to finish. It involves Jess putting a fake chalk outline outside of Taylor's store, and Lorelai asking the cupcake lady (Fran) to buy the Dragonfly Inn but getting turned down. Can you name that episode? Come on, you know all the names from that show, I know you can do it!) :mrgreen:
word count: 111
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

:text-offtopic: :lol: Too easy, The Ins and Outs of Inns :mrgreen:

Sharon
word count: 9

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I actually liked this episode, as well. It's the first one of the season that I've actually enjoyed.

On to the specifics. They actually called the dog Tootie, which is the same name they used before in "Man in the Wall." I don't know if it was actually the same dog actor, but I think it's supposed to be the same dog character. In fact, they made a point of telling Booth that laying down was the dog's signal in both episodes. I feel like they should have said something like "I told you this before" & not had everyone act like it's new info. However, for them, it was 5 years ago, & they probably don't have a dvd of the event that they rewatch over & over again like we do. lol. Of course, the fact that Brennan automatically thinks of Tootie, & seems to expect Booth to know what she's talking about, would lead me to believe that they've used the dog more times than just these two, so he should really know the drill by now.

I enjoyed Brennan plotting the perfect murder as an intellectual exercise, & the Science Dude was a fun addition. The fact that everyone just kept calling him "Dude" reminded me of "The Big Lebowski." "The Dude abides."

"They've got an app for that." That cracked me up. So, apparently there's an app that lets you record other people's phone conversations. :P That reminds me of THIShttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k3zvI2tyPM. I can't remember where I first saw this fake commercial, but it's hilarious.

I loved the Brennan/Angela scene when Ange said she was thinking of naming a daughter Temperance. So sweet, & then it became hilarious when she said they won't call her that, because it's awful, & maybe it would only be a middle name. LOL. Loved it.

A couple things that I thought were annoying... First, they ducked behind a chainlink fence when someone started shooting at them? How much protection would that really provide?

The second thing is something that's annoyed me on other episodes as well (like in "Soccer Mom in the Mini Van")- the overlapping circles method of figuring out where someone is/was. This bug's from HERE, & this leaf's from HERE, & this sauce is from HERE, so they had to be in the one spot all things intersect. Why? What proof do they have that the person picked up each of those items all at the same time? How do they know that the person didn't just pass through each of those areas consecutively, or in the case of the Soccer Mom's air filter, at entirely different times?

Anyway, overall, I really enjoyed this episode. I enjoyed Caroline, Tootie & his handler, and the Science Dude. I enjoyed the Brennan/Angela dynamic, the Booth & Brennan dynamic, & science-geeky Hodgins & Cam. I even enjoyed Brennan's crazily-dressed contribution to the kid's show- I found it fun & silly, without quite passing into the realm of stupid. My like for this episode may also be, at least in part, because the thing that has so grown to irritate & frustrate me, the B&B relationship drama, was almost entirely absent.

If they can continue to leave me feeling this happy & entertained at the end of the episodes, BONES could possibly reclaim its place as my favorite show.

BTW, I just watched that Gilmore Girls ep, too. :D
word count: 585
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well obviously I have had no chance to watch this but I am starting to be quite hopeful about it. I am now dizzy with relief that I am now the furthest I am gonna be from back to work in 2 weeks and that in between there is rest, concerts and a TJ chat. And a catch-up for the Bones I've missed and about 3 eps of Lie To Me!

I intend to make up for my absence with massive posting today (following my imminent hairdresser's appointment), but can't promise since my connection is playing up to the extent that I have already tried to get this posting screen 3 times. Hi to all. I am back! :)
word count: 122
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

STEPH'S BACK! :text-woo:

Delighted to see you posting. Savor every minute of that time off, Steph. You deserve it.

xoxo
word count: 20

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Thank you for that, fellow Leader! Well after a lot of fiddling round on the Internet I have finally seen this, but I have to say that it didn't make a huge impression on me. There were some very nice elements, such as Brennan enjoying herself all dressed up at the end (why did the kids not get a chance to ask questions? It would have been great to hear her answers), the fact that B&B seemed relaxed and natural with each other again, some exciting chase scenes, Science Dude and Hodgins working together - all good. I did get to like the Science Dude and his enthusiasm eventually, but he irritated me initially; he seemed a little patronising to start with. Did anyone else like the Fregans in the dumpster btw? :)

I didn't think the plot hung together that well. Jade is absolutely spot on as regards the circle intersection mode of deduction, and the bounty hunter as killer seemed a bit random. I'd like to know what possessed the doughty experimenters to try out potatoes as a possible weapon! Again - random!

Soooo, characters, good continuity, including dog, and everyone in character; plot, a little bit loopholy with a touch of suspect science. I can live with that.
word count: 212
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

Oh my goodness, the girl's eyes at the beginning were priceless. I don't know if they could have gotten any bigger without falling out. :)

The science dude was better than I thought he would be. I was surprised that Brennan would go for him being around. Makes me wonder when she decided she wanted to go into science if she's so against being on the kids show. I know she's no longer a child and does not watch shows like that but is she that black and white not to realize that someone would have had to been on the shows that influenced her as a child?

I agree that the potato gun was a little out there. they went from what one would consider normal, or as normal as a killer would use, to making a cosmic leap that seemed to come out of left field. While I'll admit that it was cool, it was out there, lol.

I did love watching Hodgins get into the experiment and his JTSD excitement. . It was fun to watch. And loved Angela's reminder to Brennan that the baby is half Hodgins, LOL. I would love to see the kid in 20 years and see where he/she is. Wow. :)

Is it just me or is it slightly weird for booth to go slide into the audience and place the gal in his lap like he did? I watched it over and over just to make sure i wasn't seeing things. Seemed out of character and wrong with him not knowing the kid or at least with out us knowing how he knows the girl. It just seemed odd and out of place.

Funny randomness. I actually sat for a kid named Jude yesterday and giggled to myself (only cuz we were on a hayride with a bunch of people) thinking of the kid as a science dude. :)
word count: 322

Laffers18
Fan

Post by Laffers18 »

I loved this episode! I really really did :D

I adored Hodgins and his excitement over the Science Dude... i love over enthusiastic TJ/Jack, the sweetest!

And B&Bs murder convo in the car....we ALL know Brennan could so commit murder and get away with it ;) And Cams face when she caught the tail end of it...haha, she didn't know what she was walking into! LOL

And Booth's little thumbs up to Brennan...and Brennans not so little thumbs up back! LOL...reminded me of the way Booth looked at Brennan in Wannabe In The Weeds...before he got shot obviously! ;)
word count: 105

jusbcuzz
Fan

Post by jusbcuzz »

Ya know, I kinda wondering what kind of foreshadowing the murder talk is. Seems like it could be a fun dream episode for Booth to solve the murder with Brennan the killer.
word count: 32

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

How funny it is that I started this thread, back when the episode first aired. Heeee. :D

Nothing much changed for me in viewing it a second time. I still love the way Cam and Hodgins revert to little kids, being around the Science Dude, getting excited about their work and experiments and all the little discoveries that come from the 'observing' and 'analyzing' that they do. Tj was so funny. I just loved every one of his scenes. And Tamara was adorable -- I kept giggling every time she quoted the Science Dude or came up with her own rhyming. And the way everyone got into the show at the end, laughing at Brennan's antics, was very fun.

I like that Angela wanted Brennan to do the show to inspire all the little girls out there in the world who could learn from her example and feel like 'anything is possible, the sky's the limit.' (And her comment that her kid is going to be half-Hodgins tickles me -- oh, I wonder what this kid will grow up to be like. *GRIN*)

The case itself didn't get any more interesting with a second viewing. I like the bounty hunter angle, of these other people chasing after the FBI's wanted guy, possibly helping and possibly hindering the case. But the fact that the woman chopped up her bounty hunter colleague into pieces made no sense. Her killing him was an accident -- would she really have gone to such extremes?

Side note: I still love the conversation between Booth and Brennan at the top of the episode, about planning the perfect murder. It's such a perfect conversation for the two of them, I can't believe they haven't had this discussion before! And I totally believe that Brennan would be able to do it. Yes, Booth would know it was her, he'd know it in his gut and by seeing her physical 'tells' because he can read people and he knows her so well, but I do think she'd be able to remove all traces of evidence. Booth would know Brennan was guilty but he'd have nothing to convict her with. Fun (though morbid and creepy) surmising. :mrgreen:
word count: 373