Bones 1.04 - The Man in the Bear

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Violaine
Fan

Bones 1.04 - The Man in the Bear

Post by Violaine »

In this episode, Bones and Booth will travel to eastern Washington to determine who was found in the stomach of a bear.

Victims: Adam Langer, Ann Noyes.

Temperance: "Objectively, I'd say I'm very smart, although it has nothing to do with my ass."

Angela: "Upload all the digital info that Brennan sent you into my mainframe." Mainframe? Is that a valid term, anymore?

With the UPS/Fed-Ex delivery girl: Ooh, smooooth, Hodgins. Very, very smooth. :)

Hodgins: "Where is my bear poop?" LOL

Angela's Advice: "Hey. You have to take that man for a drink. And have a little fun yourself."

Ooh. Prion disease speculation. :) Prion diseases are nasty things. It's pretty much easily explained by saying "Mad Cow disease". If you want an interesting read, see this about Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/detail_cjd.htm

We start to see some of the in-lab rivalry between Zack and Hodgins here:
Hodgins: "Oh you torpedoed me, didn't you?"
Zack: "No, I told her the truth: that you were sifting through excrement."
Hodgins: "You want a war? Fine. Because I am the warrior."

Angela: "Were you up all night?"
Hodgins: "Yes. I shaved the truffle."
Angela: "Is that anything like spanking the monkey?"
Hodgins: "I found boring dust."
Angela: "Is there any other kind?"

Culprit: Dr. Rigby. Oh, Dr. Rigby. You're a cannibal, and likely have a prion disease. You will probably be dead within the next few years, because prion diseases act fast.

Haha! The courier likes Angela best! :)
word count: 261

AmyLynn
Fan

Re: Bones 1.04 - The Man in the Bear

Post by AmyLynn »

I thought this episode was fun! Right from the beginning -with Goodman's comment 'It's time to live a little, Temperence, connect with other people.' and Brennan's response of 'Are you suggesting that I take this opportunity to have sex with Booth on a field trip?' Hillarious!

I learned that an autopsy on an animal was called a 'necropsy'...lol

I loved both Sherman and Charlie. Didn't care for the vet or Dr Rigby of course.

Hodgins and Zach's competition for the courier was just too funny, not as funny as how it played out though and Hodgins 'appreciation' for the courier's choice!

My con about the epi was the whole cannible/prion thing. I just couldn't buy it, but I still loved the episode!
word count: 131

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Bones Season 1 episode 3 The Man in the Bear

Okay, this one opens with a pretty gross thing, that vet with her arm in the bear. It is making gross sounds too.

An autopsy on an animal is called a necropsy. I’m with Booth, we really needed to know that. Someone sawed that hand off and fed it to a bear.

I like the clothes Brennan is wearing in these scenes, back when she wore the huge necklaces. But it and the sweater/skirt combination look really good on her.

So they are talking about the per diem and Booth says his is $50 and honestly that is a HUGE amount because per diem does not cover the hotel/car expenses (gas either). It is only for food. I’d have loved to had a $50 per Diem when I was doing work for the government, I made money from travelling and our per diem was usually only from $32 to $36. Usually I’d end up with about $200 from a two week trip.

I never believe this episode when all the men are hitting on Brennan like they haven’t seen a woman in years. The town has people walking all over it when Booth and the Sherriff guy are walking through it. Not that Brennan isn’t attractive but it seems a bit over the top.

“That was not a documentary, it was a cartoon.” HAHA Hodgins is great. Hodgins is so smooth with the delivery woman. That definitely has changed as he became more awkward but maybe that was just with Angela. “Also, incorrect use of the verb Bogarted.” So what is the correct use of the verb Bogarted????

That is a LOT of bear poop! How do they know it was from that particular bear though? They only have one in the whole place? I like that Charlie doesn’t care that he’s sending human remains or bear scat. LOL Charlie is now on a commercial for some stuff to unplug blocked drains-Drain-o, liquid plumber. One of those. LOL

Someone was eating on the hand! EWWWWWW Brennan is so funny when they ask her about eating a person.

Hodgins is waiting for his bear poop. Human flesh tastes like frogs legs. Which people say tastes like chicken…so humans taste like chicken, since everything apparently tastes like chicken that seems right. “Angela, if we were a Peruvian soccer team crashed in Andes who would you eat? Me or Zack?” HAHAHAHAHAHA

Later on in the show Hodgins does get excited about excrement so why wouldn’t Zack think he was this time?

Why would a wall set of knives be creepy? It is a kitchen. Lots of people have a nice set of knives in the kitchen. Freezer full of meat! Shocker! :icon-rolleyes:

Every one of these people at the bar are horrible dancers. I don’t know why they always do that on TV. Plus the music is terribly quiet for a live band. They should get a better amp in there. LOL
Booth is jealous! Booth is jealous! Not sure why when most of these men are creepy. Booth dances better than all the others. Yet he sucked in the episode where they went undercover as dancers!

I love this conversation between Angela and Hodgins:

“Did you work all night?”
“Yes, I shaved a truffle”
“Is that anything like spanking the monkey?”
“I found boring dust.”
“Is there any other kind?”

It cracks me up every time!!!

“Satanic Stonehenge circle” says Booth. Hmm Stonehenge isn’t satanic!!! The circle thingy is inside out and upside down??? It is a circle how can it be upside down or inside out?
There is a love triangle, quadrangle, octangle…whatever. I want to see an octangle! LOL
So it is the doctor that was insanely eating people. Gross.

“The guy is nuts.”
“Yes but is he nuts because he got a brain disease from eating human flesh or was he already nuts the first time he ate flesh or did he just lick his fingers after surgery?”
“I should just become a vegetarian.”
“Or as an alternative, just don’t eat people.”

HAHAHAHA That is such a great Booth/Brennan conversation!
Overall I like this one, it is actually one of the more funny episodes. Some great conversations and the whole Hodgins/Zack/Overnight girl thing is a great side story for the main murder story.
word count: 743
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

I always liked the way Brennan used to dress back then, with the chunky jewelry and the loose styled hair. I'm not sure why they went away in the most recent seasons but I think she's less attractive now that she almost always wears her lab coat completely buttoned up and her hair pulled back straight. I'm also not a fan of the tall black boots she is always wearing over her pants. LOL!! Ok, I'm done being the fashion police now. HAHAHA!! :)
word count: 87
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

"Just 'cause you say it in that definitive tone doesn't mean it means anything to me."

Hee. :D

I appreciate the differences we see in Booth and Brennan throughout this episode (and the series, for that matter) -- from their approach to cases, to the language they use to talk about those cases (see above hilarious Booth quote about Brennan talking over his head), all the way to their vast differences in per diem for their travels. (Poor Booth.)

This is when the tide started turning for me and I found myself really enjoying the show. I wasn't completely sold on Brennan yet, especially because she was pretty rude to Booth, talking about how she's indispensable whereas he's a mere government employee, and how she left him to eat breakfast alone. And the treatment of her like the only attractive female in the world was a bit eye-rolling. But there are so many funny lines in this episode -- from both Booth and Brennan, and the squints' secondary storyline -- that this one's definitely a favorite for humor.

"I waited and my eggs got cold. Cold eggs." :D I laugh every time David Boreanaz says that. I don't know why. There's just something about how he says "Cold eggs" that cracks me up.

Besides, Brennan may be indispensable because of her unique skills but as even she points out, "he's the one people like." Booth does have a better way with talking to people.

Except, apparently, in this episode, where Brennan seems to be the only woman the men in this town have seen for months and they all want her. (As Sharon points out, Brennan IS attractive, but their behavior is quite the stretch.)

Then again, I suppose that line of thinking fits in with the crime and the overall theme of the episode. The men of the town stare hungrily and flirt and treat Brennan like a juicy piece of meat, while the criminal of the episode is a cannibal who literally eats human meat. There's a metaphor somewhere in there about meat that I can't quite reach. LOL. Also... EWWW. :doh:

When the sheriff asks if Brennan would ever eat human meat I do like that Brennan considers the question rationally like the anthropologist she is: "It's an interesting question. I would have to measure my own social inculcation against objective scientific inquiry."

One scene that frustrates yet again: we've got another potential-danger scene where Brennan storms right past Booth when he already said, "Stay back." ARGH. He's the one with the gun, she didn't give him even a split second to clear the room (making sure no murderous cannibals were inside). I get that she's tough and can hold her own, but I don't like when they make her foolish. She's tough but she's also supposed to be rational. Her busting into the room without any protocols whatsoever could get her or her partner killed. And if anyone understands the need for protocols, it's got to be Brennan. She's probably got a ton of her own, working at the Jeffersonian, dealing with ages-old bones. Anyway, just a nit-picky frustration of mine throughout the series that I wanted to point out because here she is, doing it again.

Side note: as Sharon points out, it's bizarre that the sheriff found the sight of knives in the kitchen to be so strange. It's a kitchen! But I suppose those knives weren't exactly "regulation" for cutting your veggies. :D And they did need a reason to go chasing after the park ranger, to make it seem like he could be the killer.

In the secondary storyline, I love the back-and-forth humor between Zack and Hodgins, and the way they keep trying to one-up one another, neither one backing down. Zack may not have Hodgins' experience, he may be a bit naive, but he did "get in the game," so to speak, pretty well. And the "hot courier" did tell him she wanted to eat him up. Go, Zack! (And hey, that's yet another metaphor for the way people talk about or treat one another like "meat" in this episode. She said she could eat him up. LOL.)

Everyone above has already quoted a lot of the funniest lines, like the "I shaved the truffle" / "Is that anything like spanking the monkey?" or "Boring dust" / "Is there any other kind?" or the "Peruvian soccer team" joke, but I do also like "Lighten up, Z Man." I love when Angela teases Zack, and she seems to call him that in several episodes, which is cute AND good continuity. :dance:

Overall, I remember liking this episode. Not the lame stuff with the vet lady and all the guys and their obsession over Brennan like she's the only woman for hundreds of miles, but I loved the funny stuff in this episode. All the squint stuff, and some of the stuff between Booth and Brennan. I felt like the show was starting to gel more by this point. And TJ was on fire with his comedic timing. LOTS of funny facial expressions and verbal inflections that made me laugh and laugh.

And I can't forget to mention that "You want a war? FINE. Because I AM THE WARRIOR." will always be my favorite line from this episode. The way TJ says it CRACKS ME UP. And on a side note, he looks gorgeous in that scene. His baby blues were really popping. ;)

And that's my thoughts on Episode #4, The Man in the Bear. :D
word count: 947

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

I don't have time to re-watch, but thought I'm sneak in on a few of these. I miss this place!

This is one of my very favorite episodes. I kind of feel like the show came together with this one. It has some of my favorite moments, like Jack & Zack fighting over the courier. "Trust me, that's hotter." Hehe.
word count: 63
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers