Bones 6.19 The Finder

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Bones 6.19 The Finder

Post by SmackyKennedy »

So...I'll start this off.

Definitely not the most exciting episode. Usually when Bones is on I grab a snack, relax on the couch and give it my full attention. After about 10 minutes I found myself drawing with my back to the TV only half listening.

I think part of the problem was that they were trying to squeeze 2 shows into one and both suffered as a consequence. This would have been a good excuse for a 2-hour or 2-part episode. In a pilot there is always dialogue about character's backgrounds and such to help you know where they're coming from, but when trying to squeeze it in with Bones' stuff it seemed very forced.

As far as "The Finder" goes, the most positive thing I can say is that Geoff isn't bad to look at. :P He seemed off in places, but in such a short time it's hard to tell if it's a problem with the actor or the character's quirks. The girl is rather annoying. I don't know anything about accents, but that seemed just over the top to me.

Michael Clarke Duncan just doesn't fit with them either imo. He's to "big" for the role I think, not just in size--do you know what I mean? [Just remembered about the poetry too after reading Sharon's comment--WTH was that? ] Time will tell, I guess. If it gets picked up I'll give it a shot, but based on last night I'm not too excited about it. And the Finder's apparent tag line "I'll risk it," was a bit overdone. I don't think Bones said "I don't know what that means" that much in a single episode in the beginning.

And as mentioned, don't you dare call our Hodgins a "seven." Thems fightin' words. :violence-swords: The excitement of possibly finding a sunken ship with treasure should have offered a lot more fun scenes with Hodgins and the rest of the crew, but again it's a time thing. Maybe I missed it?

Positive stuff:
I did enjoy the the scene when he brought Bones' medal back to her. An explanation on how would have been nice though.

I'm sure a lot of people on the interwebs will "freak" about the possibility of The Finder coming between B&B but I'm not at worried about it, the light banter/flirting was one of the more enjoyable parts of the episode.

The diving scene visually pretty cool and a little freaky when he found the body.

I may think of more later if I can sit through it again, but the kiddos are calling...just wanted to get it started :)
Last edited by SmackyKennedy on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 463
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: 6:19 The Finder

Post by skftex »

Wasn't impressed either. Didn't like the characters at all, though I do love Michael Clarke Duncan, the yelling of the poetry was just a bit much. Wasn't impressed that Walter gave Brennan a fake medal and she couldn't tell it wasn't the same one. If he is so great, why couldn't he find the real medal? Anyway, as I said on twitter, I wouldn't watch this show if it were picked up, Walter and Ike were annoying, and then he said Hodgins was a 7, so they fail! LOL

word count: 96
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: 6:19 The Finder

Post by ThyneAlone »

I know! How very dare he? And to imply that Angela is with him cos he's rich? He's not going to get Hodgins fans watching his show, that's for sure.

I don't think I'd watch it anyway. Sooooo obviously a wave in the direction of a new show, with all the concomitant exposition - yawn. The Walter character is really one of the biggest w*****s I have seen on TV for a while, and Saffron Burrows, wtf? You're a Londoner by birth! Please don't collude in the 'wit' of writers trying to make a cockney sound illiterate!

Sorry, a miss for me, this time.
word count: 111
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jusbcuzz
Fan

Re: Bones 6:19 The Finder

Post by jusbcuzz »

Part way through the episode I told Sharon that it felt like there was something I was supposed to be doing. Still not sure if it was that I was supposed to be watching the episode of if i really forgot something. :) I will admit that I like bits and pieces of the episode but it seemed a little off. It wasn't a cross over yet it wasn't setting up the show to have a spin off. The other show doesn't exist yet which was just awkward. They shoved a new show in the Bones slot and placed a few Bones scenes in there just to satisfy the Bones hour. We can't care about this guy and his psychological PTSD issues yet. I did like how he said that it wasn't about the thing found but the meaning behind it or something like that. I hope he doesn't turn out to be stalkerish for Bones. It sure sounded like it at the end. Knowing he's not quite alright in the head and that he wants Bones that could set up to be a very interesting story line if done right at the right time. With all the other story lines they have going right now throwing in something like this seems a bit forced. It was just too much for an hour show.
word count: 230

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

Im just glad we get 23 episodes instead of 22 this season, if just to make up for that counting as one.

I would have happily watched and enjoyed it as the pilot for The Finder, but was annoyed because it was actually one of 'ours'
:shock:

So with that being said.. there were somethings I liked about the episode.
- Booth and Walter fighting in the bar.
- The name of the boat - The "Screw You"
- Walter strutting around almost naked.
- Harts face on walters air tank.
- Brens beer in the last scene is the 'blind fox' - is that a dig at fox?

Things I did not like:
- "what are you rich?" and then everything that came out of Walters mouth there after in that scene. Way to give Hodgins more of a paranoid complex.
- The camera angles in the aforementioned scene. Probably done to make Walter appear more 'manly' or something, but at the sake of making Hodgins look so short and small was not cool. I don't recall (off top of my head) a time when they've done that in a scene with him and Booth.
- The british woman's mispronunciation of words. Im almost certain that wasn't accurate for wherever she is meant to be from.
- No Sweets?

Main worst thing:
maybe what 10mins of the ep was Bones, and the rest Finder.
Wahh
I want the other 32mins back thanks.
word count: 235

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Ha! I didn't even notice there was no Sweets! Probably because I don't look for him LOL
word count: 19
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TNPrincess14
Fan

Post by TNPrincess14 »

A "7"?!?!?!?!!! Seriously???????? A freaking "7"?!?!? Whatever!

I agree that the episode felt rushed since they were essesntially testing a pilot for another series instead of it being a "Bones" epi.

- I liked that "The Finder" did find Bones' medal; but it was a real stretch for me HOW he found it. I think we are supposed to believe that he got it from her former foster home (based on the phone call in German??) but they didn't SHOW him finding it - so was it hidden in their house, did they still have it just sitting around?

- I liked Walter and his people a little more than the rest of you and I would probably watch at least the first few episodes of the show before deciding if it was a keeper or not. The "I'll risk it" tagline was a little overused. Another show I like did the same thing in its pilot but by the third episode the line was not used at all anymore.

- This is the part where I comment on the Bones portion of the show -

Yep, that about wraps it up.
word count: 189
Jenny
"God is a little formal. Hodgins will do." - Dr. Jack Hodgins

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Guess I didn't understand that scene because I thought he DIDN'T find the medal, he just ordered a replica, hence the call in German. Maybe I didn't understand that scene at all, I will admit I was playing a game on my iPod during most of this episode LOL
word count: 52

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Got to be honest, so didn't care, that I was talking to hubby during the German scene (he came & watched with me - not impressed) and so was unclear what Wally was doing - hence very puzzled when he produced the medal in the first place!! I guess I could look back at it for clarification - if I gave a hoot. :lol:

Thank you Ange for further confirmation that not only did Ike's character look a little stupid because of her apparent difficulty with the English language, but the way she spoke didn't sound authentic either! I'm not going to go on about this - I've covered my dialect and language issues mightily tediously elsewhere on this board - :angry-soapbox: but as a London-born individual Ms Burrows might be expected to do something more realistic....
word count: 135
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Gonna skip this one. Doesn't sound like an interesting episode for me.
word count: 13
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

Apparently, The Finder got picked up as its own show.
word count: 10
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Ha! Well good luck to them. I won't be watching but I wish them well. Just keep the characters off of Bones please! LOL
word count: 25

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm one episode away from watching this one. Can I skip it, Sharon? :D

I have no desire to watch something that isn't truly a SPIN-OFF (what the hell?), even though the media keeps trying to call it that. And if they insult Hodgins? GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE. How dare you?! :icon-evil: :eusa-naughty:

I may watch 6x18 tonight and skip on to 6x20 unless you all give me reason to check out this one.

:icon-mrgreen:
word count: 76

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Works for me! Sucky episode, sucky characters AND insulting to Hodgins. No reason to watch it all, skip on to 6.20!!! :)
word count: 22