Bones 6.22 The Hole in the Heart

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Kelly
Fan

Bones 6.22 The Hole in the Heart

Post by Kelly »

This episode was the saddest I've seen, but of course I haven't seen seasons 1-5 like the rest of you have. I liked how Brennan and Vincent was so excited about their presentation that they were laughing. Sweets not getting why she was laughing got to me, though. As a psychologist, I would think he would know there are more than one reason why someone laughs. Yes, she may have been laughing for the funny factor, but I interpreted her laughter as excitement about it. I like Booth's new partner. She showed her human side right away and signs that she learned well from Booth with the way she talked to Sweets as they were walking to a crime scene. I liked her throughout the episode. Her respect and work ethic is commendable. Vincent's enthusiasm about the T-rex simulation uniform was great. It was nice to see Hodgins doubting/questioning his idea. Hodgins then redeemed himself by thinking of a way to make the contraption better. The funny part was during the arm wrestling match when the dinosaur arm wouldn't finish the task and broke trying. I did feel bad that Hodgins got shouted at to leave the area where Brennan and Angela were talking. Couldn't the conversation have waited? Business should always come before social matters, I think. On that note, though, Brennan crawling into bed with Booth didn't surprise me because of how distraught she was. I didn't even think of them doing anything sexual until Brennan implied it and the whole shouting incident happened. I guess I'm more of a prude than Brennan is because I wouldn't have gotten it on with a man during a time of grief. I know I didn't when my Uncle Ted died and a man I met over a singles site came over to console me. The way Vincent died was really sad. What he kept on chanting while he was dying was cause for tears, definitely. I'm an oddball, though. I don't cry often at TV shows or movies when most people would be blubbering. I did cry at a Ghost Whisperer episode, though, that dealt with a ghost child. Anyway, back to Hodgins being yelled at, I empathized with him. I've been yelled at like that and I reacted the same way as Hodgins did with his facial expression and everything he told Cam. I'm glad Hodgins and Angela got right back to business and apparently cleared the air with that scene where they met in the street. The scene where Hodgins told both Angela and the baby that he would find the killer was sweet. I actually exclaimed, "Aww!" I rarely do that. Booth's showdown with Brodsky was great! Hodgins to the rescue, once again! I wonder (and anyone can answer this) if Booth has ever acknowledged everything Hodgins has done to save his butt throughout the years. At the company funeral for Vincent, I identified with Brennan again. Her insecurity about social norms matches mine. I'm currently going through counseling about how insecure I am because of ignorance about what's appropriate vs. not. What's this Lime in the Coconut song? I'm definitely going to be looking it up online and studying it. I don't want to be ignorant if I ever meet any of the cast members or you all and not know this song.
word count: 581

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Re: The Hole in the Heart

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I posted a new thread at the same time, so I had to go & delete mine to post here. :P

They're ba*****s & I hate them. I just wanted to make that clear right from the start. If you haven't seen this & you don't want to kmow more, then don't read further.

"The Hole in the Heart" immediately put me on guard due to the similarity in name to "The Pain in the Heart." Once again, we lost a favorite intern, one that Dr. Brennan could mentor & somewhat connect with. I was so stressed during the "someone's going to get shot" montage, worrying about who it was going to be. I just kept thinking that if TPTB took one of my people I was going to kill them all. Obviously, it was only a metaphoric sentiment, since I wasn't actually about to hunt down all the writers & producers of the show, but still, that sense of fear, frustration, & fierce protectiveness for my people was definitely there. It's so frustrating that we can't take any vengeance for the murder of a favorite character (What's the appropriate punishment for killing a fictional person, I wonder?). While I would have been horrified if it had been Hodgins (& might never watch again), Angela was the one I would have been most furious about. Losing both Angela & the baby would have been too much, & seeing Hodgins react to it would have been worse. As it is, even though Vincent wasn't one of the main six, I think I still cried more than any of the characters did.

I was happy to see Brennan go into Booth's room to mourn, because she's always talking about how she can't express her feelings, but then when she said "What kind of person am I?" I got ticked. Really? She couldn't just be upset that her friend & mentee was gone, she had to make it about her? The annoyance didn't last too long though, because it was obvious that she was genuinely upset about Vincent, as well.

So, did they sleep together or not?! Why can't they just SAY things? B&B have never actually said they love each other. We didn't see what happened between them. We don't even know what Brennan told Angela. Very annoying. I just want things to be established. Yes or no. One way or another. Why can't they just SAY they're in love? Why can't the writers just let us know if they slept together? I don't care if we didn't get to see, I just don't like them keeping us in the dark for their own sh**s & giggles.

Ok, gotta move past that, so I'll just end with a couple of random thoughts:
-Maybe it's fatigue from the pregnancy, but Angela seems much more mellow than she used to be.
-Tina Majorino makes an unusual FBI agent. I just remember her as the kid from Waterworld.
-I really liked the dinosaur scenes at the time, but I'm having trouble looking back on them with fondness right now. Thinking about them just makes me tear up again & wonder how painful it's going to be for Brennan to have to do that presentation alone.

Last edited by jade.stormcloud on Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 558
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

@kelly - While the song has been mentioned a couple times by Sweets, the chorus - "you put the lime in the coconut & drank it all up" - is probably the only part that I had ever heard before this.
word count: 37
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sigh. I knew it was coming and it still made me very sad.

Feeling old that people don't know the Lime in the Coconut song.

Hodgins - raising hand and saying MAN in the man vs. dinosaur thing. HAHAHAHAHA Sleepy Hodgins-love the looking out one eyeball at Angela.

Brennan and Booth, they are sneaky aren't they with the 4:47 thing?

Promo for season finale gave away something but I'm not gonna say it here and spoil things for people.

That is all from me.

Sharon
word count: 89
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

word count: 0

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

I'm just amusing myself with the Paint Shop Pro today. :P

word count: 11

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

Image[/quote]
jade.stormcloud wrote:Image
Love both of these.

Vincent was my fave. This sucks! I’m so crying right now. I love everything about this ep except Vincent dying. Question Why Vincent why not one of the other ones?

And naturally they leave what B&B did to the end ep and the fact we know Ang and Jack have there baby too. So I wonder if they might call the baby if its a boy Vincent? That would be so nice.

Ali :cry:
word count: 83

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 6.22 The Hole in the Heart

Post by skftex »

Two reasons it was Vincent, first-they wanted it to be someone that people liked (which is why they couldn't kill Daisy HAHAHAHAHA), second-Ryan Cartwright has a new show called Alphas that has been picked up by the SyFy channel so he wouldn't be able to work with Bones next season anyway. Thing is, they are shooting Alphas NOW, and the SyFy schedule is not as routine as the FOX schedule so I think he'd be more available than they let on.

Do you all that think they did NOT tell you about Brennan and Booth think the clock wasn't really a clue? I thought it was telling you what happened but maybe I'm reading more into it than I should. LOL

Sharon
word count: 129
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

I don't even remember seeing a clock. Either I didn't notice it, or I was looking away at that moment. I suppose I'll have to watch that scene on Hulu & look for that, but quite frankly, even with a clock & the look that Brennan gave Angela, I won't believe anything until it is stated outright. I just don't trust HH & TPTB to not jerk us around. Maybe they slept together, maybe they just kissed, maybe they had a heartfelt discussion & both actually said "I love you," maybe Brennan just had a dirty dream about Booth while she was lying there in his arms, or maybe nothing at all happened (although her expression when talking to Ange certainly seems to imply that something did). Whatever did or did not occur, we won't really know until (and unless) it is revealed.
word count: 145

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

The thing is, in 4X26 the clock is a different clock for part of that scene, and its the same clock, same time that was in 6x22. I remember HH saying the time was significant back when 4x26 had aired, so I thought it was their way of telling us something. Like I said, maybe I'm reading more into it than they meant.

But anyway, if I'm right about what I think they showed in the promo for next week, you'll know for sure after the finale. :)
word count: 90

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

I absolutely LOVED this episode!! What an emotional roller coaster. I think I've stopped crying long enough to have a sound thought! LOL. First off when I say I loved the episode I don't mean that I like the fact that Vinny was the one to get offed. I did figure the actor probably had something in the works, that is usually the way it goes, but it still sucks. Now if it were Fisher, I wouldn't have minded.

The 'Who's going to get shot' montage was awesome. (Though I didn't think so the first time I watched this epi)...lol I really wasn't liking getting played with like that, but I have to give it to them, they did an excellent job keeping the emotions going in a dozen directions and keeping the anticipation up. I had came to the conclusion it was going to be either Sweets or Vincent. Though I was hemming more toward Sweets, I'm not sorry I was wrong.

The bedroom scene with B&B...hmmm. I'm hoping we're not getting jerked around and what was implied is what happened. I saw the clock, but I'm clueless to it's significance. This was the 2nd scene that made me cry. I didn't get the impression that Brennan was making it about her when she said what kind of person am I? To me she was feeling guilt over treating him in a way that made him ask that, (though I like Booth's explanation to this.) She was afraid she made him feel unwanted in some way. I really do wish they would have come out and confirmed it (wether they did or not) one way or the other though.

Da Lime in da coconut!!! I loved it!! Great ending to a well done episode!! I know many times Sweets has made reference to this song (usually in karaoke references). I just thought it was great. I hope the intertwining of the arms is a sign of great things to come for B&B. I'm one of those that think the dance between them has gone on long enough.

On a side note. I am really hoping that they write Emily's pregnancy into the show. I really hate it when they try to cover up an actresse's pregnancy and pretend they aren't getting as big as a hot air balloon.
And if Angela doesn't have twins I think it should be a boy and they should name it Zachary Vincent Hodgins instead of Michael Joseph.
word count: 436

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

I rewatched the scene so I could take a look at the clock. Yeah, I didn't see it the first time because I wasn't looking at the TV. I distinctly remember glancing up after he pulled the gun on her. Don't remember what I was doing at the time. Another thing I noticed this time was that he kept the gun on her. WTH, Booth? He ought to know better than to keep pointing a loaded weapon like that. :P
word count: 82

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

@AmyLynn The clock's significance is in its possible connection to the Season 4 finale "The End in the Beginning." The scene in that ep begins on Booth's clock which reads 4:47, then pans over to show Brennan (or "Bren") entering the room & climbing into bed with Booth (or "Mr. B"). This is followed by a B&B roll in the hay.
Last edited by jade.stormcloud on Sat May 14, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 64

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Jade: Cracking up over the Charlie Brown cartoon. :lol:

What a great episode! Obviously sad, but very well done with lots of great moments.

This was one of the first times I couldn't eat while watching. Not because of anything gross, but because my stomach hurt with anticipation. I knew who was going to die, but I was still nervous. The montage just before Vincent was shot was very well done and I thought that song was perfect, although I may not be able to enjoy listening to it now. :?

The scene when Vincent died was heartbreaking for sure, especially because he was begging not to go but also that Brennan didn't get understand what he meant. But it was the ending with them all singing that really got me choked up. It was just perfect.

B&B Can we give Emily an award now please?? She did a such a great job, as usual. Frustrating not to know for sure but hope is that they did do "it" and the bombshell is Brennan is pregnant and they're writing the pregnancy in. (Sharon is going to have to clue me in because I'm not seeing anything significant in the promo for next week). ED's pregnancy was just announced publicly but from what I understand HH knew a few months ago so probably had time to plan everything. All this "giving the network scenarios" could be just to throw us off. Either way, I hope we get to see what happened. SIX YEARS of tension is too long to wait to not see that first real kiss and them ripping each others clothes off.

Hodgins is the man "representing." Yup. :clap: Very funny when Angela told him to go away when she was talking to Brennan. Pretty sure I would have done the same thing in that moment! Very sweet moments with them, can't wait for next week.

I was a little surprised at Tina Majorino too. She's an excellent actress for sure (I think of her as the little girl from Corrina Corrina and When a Man Loves a Woman...gah). But an FBI agent? Not sure about that one. Time will tell, I guess.
word count: 370
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

Thanks Jade. Now I have to go back and watch that episode. That's pretty cool though. Funny. I feel better now that I'm not clueless...lol. Oh and I too loved the Charlie Brown cartoon!!
word count: 37

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

Our Fave squint is gone Steph. :cry:
word count: 6

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well I viewed this last night when I got in from work and have been collecting my thoughts since then. It was a well-written one, I can tell because it elicited a proper reaction from me – the bland ones leave me cold. I didn’t cry though, because I shared (and share!) Booth’s righteous anger that people like Jacob Broadsky exist, and that carried me through. It was so great to see Booth’s integrity maintained even in fury – he incapacitates rather than shooting the slimeball in the head like I would have done. It really says something about him as a person, that he is looking for justice over revenge. Well played, DB. You know what, I don’t know if it was intended, but “humanity 1, tyrant lizard 0” sort of reflects that.

Writing a realistic reaction to a bereavement is extremely difficult. Joss Whedon has managed it, but few others. It’s like a TV birth – the clichés don’t correspond to most people’s experience. This was nicely done, with a watercolour brush instead of a huge all-covering roller; all the reactions were different and entirely true to character. Cam with her amazing strength, able to ring Vincent’s family; Brennan breaking out of her façade in a way we have only seen once or twice before; Booth’s laser focus and the way he used his experience of death to help others; Angela’s horror as she stands on the threshold of producing life; Hodgins introverted, exhausted but determined in the way we saw him at the end of ‘Aliens’. The singing at the end (not to mention the silly little factoid memories they all shared affectionately) was entirely moving and appropriate, much better than tears - and listen, I can’t believe you folk don’t know ‘Da Lime in da Coconut’! Omg how old must I be (quick calculation, shock)? It was all superbly acted. Ryan in particular during his death scene, uttering the unexpected in blank incomprehension. Many meet death in that way, I think.

Anyway, the knee-jerks: excuse me, the quirky English one? Our token representative? The only hint at pub quiz trivia ability, such an essential part of the English character (ask Jude)? So not fair. Loved the bits with the dinosaur though. More Hodgins enthusiasm for his craft! Not quite KOTL on this one though. Talking of which, I really don’t think it was apt for Angela to dismiss his ebullience so curtly. I’d have believed in it if it had looked more like Cam suggested – a grief response – but it didn’t; it came over as a teenager telling her boyfriend to go away because she has a prurient secret to gossip about with her BFF. As for the much-touted BB scene, well, the clock on view is just telling us what we already knew; it’s pretty much a repeat of the S4 finale, telling us nothing. Not that I’ve cared about the mastodon in the room for a very long time, but TPTB should respect those who do.

Overall I enjoyed this because I was made to believe in it and it carried me along on its raw emotional roller coaster. Hopefully the imminent birth will do likewise, and in a rather happier way.
word count: 557
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

OMG, I just cried my eyes out watching this episode. I really liked Vincent. So sad that he died.

I really liked this episode, though! It brought B&B closer together, and I really want to see them together. I loved the scene in his bedroom. It is always great to have someone who comforts you and hugs you when you are really sad. Looking for such a person, too!
word count: 70
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

First of all let me just say: haha Sharon, you don't get the chance to harass me! I'm not letting you have that privilige :-)

This has to be my absolute favorite episode of this season for various reasons..

This was full of so much emotions, the feeling of dedication on getting the bad guys - with Booth's efforts on bringing Broadsky to justice for his wrong doings..
I might have missed something about Broadsky - what was his motive on being the judge/exicutioner? did he felt it was his right to kill the "bad guys" instead of bringing them before a judge.. Did he feel threatend to Booth..

Humour on Brennans' and VNM's enthusiasm for their project - dinosaur vs man.. loved it! Their ability only to see the humour in this and leaving both Sweets and Booth baffled, confused..
And then getting Hodgins sucked in - couldn't stop laughing when he and VNM started armrestling! The smuckness HOdgins was feeling that The Man won!

And now for the part that I seriously sobbed to even after the show was over, couldn't stop.. Not afraid to admit that!
The montage leading up to the killing of VNM was amazingly made, making it appear that the entire cast could be the victim..
RC did a great job of dying.. I know it sounds wrong to say that.. but I really feel he did..
I didn't even know that he was doing another show that got picked up but HH always said that it could happen because all the squinterns did other things when not appearing on the show.
Was amazed by the strengh that Cam held on doing the tough job of informing VNM's mom of his untimely death..

Was giving up any hope of a B&B hookup but this episode gave me some hope that there is a chance.. Booth's protectiveness of Bones - awww! Felt sorry for Bones that she was doubting her ability to be "human" for not showing her feelings.. the hit with the clock 4:47 didn't even think of it's connection to TEITB untill you brought it up. So the question is: did they or did they not (eventhough of the hint).
Angela's reaction on being told of what happened between them, especially her outburst: hallaluja! And her way of getting rid of Hodgins for interupting LOL

As goes for the hunt at the port (from one who works in shipping - no Zim containers - only Maersk, why?! but from a Danes pov - not bad, seeing as Maersk is a Danish company).. Sorry getting a little sidetracked!
So cool that Booth outsmarted Broadsky by hidding inbetween chassis and getting him! Bringing him to justice - YEAH!

Really like the way they were saying goodbye to VNM by sharing what wacky information they all received.. :-) Could someone tell me what is "Lime in the coconut"?? never heard about it..

That's my thoughts for now.. (sorry for any misspelling or bad grammar)

word count: 503

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Here's a link to a Youtube vid of the song. BTW, check out the comments. So many BONES fans. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA9OqUuA6a0
word count: 27