The Types of People Who Comment on Bones :)

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

The Types of People Who Comment on Bones :)

Post by SmackyKennedy »

I found this amusing and spot on :) Hart tweeted a link to it--The types of people who comment on Bones.

http://rynogeny.livejournal.com/490513. ... 5#t2108945

Thankfully I fall in none of those categories, I don't think.
word count: 40
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Type of People Who Comment on Bones :)

Post by skftex »

Welllllll, I don't like the Finder, and wasn't very happy with the episode being billed as a Bones episode. But I don't care if others watch it and don't mind if it succeeds-my tv is even better than those that change channels, it has an OFF button! ;) And other than 2 or 3 comments here (maybe 4 now-outside of the actual episode discussion?), I don't go around commenting about it anywhere. :icon-mrgreen: So I don't think I'm that person. And not any of the others-because they left off mine "I wish they'd give Hodgins more to do and more backstory." HAHAHAHAHA
word count: 111
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Type of People Who Comment on Bones :)

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yeah so that would be the Discerning One with High Intelligence and Basic Reasoning Skills then. :P
word count: 16
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

sherylrdh1
Fan

Re: The Types of People Who Comment on Bones :)

Post by sherylrdh1 »

This is a strange topic. Have no words.
word count: 8

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah but you have brought people's attention back here!
Does anyone else think there's a 'type' (or several types!) of Bones watchers? :)
word count: 24

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

There are many ;) and I hate the 90% of them
1) Twitter 12yo fans (or 60 yo fans who act like 12) who think they write the show and use their accounts to insult the writers/actors/producers
2) People who only like a character/ship/actor and instead of praysing what they like (rightfully so) spend their time saying how much the rest sucks
3) casual fans
4) People who never got over Zack even tho it's been 7 years
5) I stopped watching the show when "_________" but I still comment on every article/news/post about the show or better "This show jumped the shark since *insert storyline they didn't like*
6) normal people who love the show, point out its flaws, praise its strong points and have reasonate opinions, either negative or positive
Not necessary to say that I only interact with one type of fans ;)
word count: 151

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Uh oh, I'm number 2 (well partially anyway? )!!! I'm also #4!! Sorry but the way they did that sucked and I'll never be okay with it! Marta hates me!!! :sad: :crying-green: :crying-yellow:

word count: 32
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

peppernights wrote: 3) casual fans
What exactly is a casual fan, Marta??
word count: 12

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

ThyneAlone wrote:
peppernights wrote: 3) casual fans
What exactly is a casual fan, Marta??
Not us ;-) :eusa-whistle:
word count: 16

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

Aaaaw Zack!!!! I loved Zack. But yeah people need to get over that now haha.

Also, I did stop watching the show for a while... but I came back to it after about a year out, and watched 8 seasons in 3 weeks LOL.
word count: 44

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sculder1013 wrote:Aaaaw Zack!!!! I loved Zack. But yeah people need to get over that now haha.

Also, I did stop watching the show for a while... but I came back to it after about a year out, and watched 8 seasons in 3 weeks LOL.
Nope, never will. I refuse. If it had been written where it actually made sense, okay, I'd miss him but I'd understand. But since it was DUMB and they drilled into us in every previous episode "Widow's son, widow's son, widow's son" then just chose to IGNORE that just to shock us (and for other reasons that annoy me) I will forever and ever not get over it! :icon-twisted:
word count: 119

JustJulz
Fan

Post by JustJulz »

hahaha! I think I'm (6) I'm also the type of person that gets aggravated by most of the rest of the list ROFL. I often type up a scathing tweet, read it out loud, laugh at my wit, then delete it hahaha!
I've never hidden who or what I liked or didn't like. And I've often flipflopped on characters. I really couldn't stand Daisy, but once she was alone I liked her again. Her character is way less annoying now. And I wasn't liking Cam at all, but now she's seeing Sebastian, I really like her and that relationship. Not that I don't like Arastoo. I just never bought their relationship. At all. As for Zach.... I heard there's a bridge. People need to get over it.

I also can't stand the "I've been a fan since the very first episode and that makes me the best blah blah" Well, a lot of us have been along for the ride since the beginning, we just don't feel the need to bleat it because it doesn't mean anything. I have a few Bones pals that I can chat to about what we love and don't love. What worked and doesn't work (for us). We don't always agree, and that's OK. We accept and respect each others opinions. Imagine if everyone liked only one kind of storyline/situation. It would be so boring!
word count: 249
In beer, there is strength. In wine, there is wisdom. In water, there's bacteria.

I drink vodka!
:dance:

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

JustJulz wrote: As for Zach.... I heard there's a bridge. People need to get over it.
And again, not happening! LOL Though I don't go on and on about it, I wouldn't ask them if they are bringing him back, it has been almost 8 years, it was still poorly done and DUMB so I'll never get over it. So there! :eusa-whistle: :icon-twisted:
word count: 65

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

This was meant to be some kind of humor of course, and I was stereotyping the categories. Anyway, there's still a bit of truth in that if you bring each type of fan to the extreme, which is quite frequent if you think about Twitter (mostly) or even Facebook sometimes.
Anyway, a "casual fan" (and I didn't make that word up) is a type of fan who almost-regularly watches the show on tv, but doesn't really pay attention to everything, doesn't know the actors (aside maybe from the main two), makes spelling mistakes when writing the names etc. It's basically at least the 60 per cent of a live audience. Hart used to talk so much about this type of fans. They are maybe also the luckiest, because they just enjoy the show and never get involved in the fandom drama. On the other hand, sometimes this type of fans are really annoying because they end up complaining about stuff which is not worth of complaining. :icon-razz: (when is Parker coming back? and Parker just got back with a new face and they didn't even notice! eheheheh)

About the "I only like one character", I don't have anything against people who love a show only for an aspect of it, or just an actor or a character. It's always just all about how you handle it. For example, this website (and your account on Twitter), is about TJ and people on here mostly discuss the aspects of the show related to Hodgins, Angela and Hodgins or TJ's other work. This is a positive example of being a fan specifically of something/someone, because what happens here is mostly creating a cool/happy/relaxed enviroment about something a group of people love. This is not bad at all. But this type of fan becomes bad when for example, they only love Tamara Taylor (this is random) and instead of praising Tamara/Cam, spend their time hating on the show and the rest of the cast. And with hating I mean hating. Like sending tweets to the people they despise.
This is different from disliking an actor from the cast, or a storyline, or a couple of other characters and discuss the reasons why you do so. I mean, everybody is allowed to watch a show for whatever reasons, but I don't get why people really love to spread hate instead of praysing what they love.

For me it's different, I am a weird type of person. I can't have a favourite show if I hate more than 1 main character on it or there's just too many things that I hate. Of course I have my favourites (and that's right), but in order to get hooked on something I really need to like that product as an ensable or otherwise I just can't keep watching just for one thing.
For Bones it's different, because now I have quite a few things I don't like anymore (although I do love some other things), but I always think about how long this show has been on. When I started to watch it tho, I basically liked the 90% of what I saw. This doesn't mean there weren't characters or annoying storylines (I am of the idea there's no perfect tv product), but anyway the good things about the show - or better, the things *I* found good- were always the majority for me.

The Zack storyline, I don't know how much time has passed since you started watching the show, but when I started it was 2009 and s4 had just ended, so back then I wasn't still involved in the fandom or read opinions online and i liked that storyline. I mean, again, I know it wasn't done exceptionally and I was aware of the 2008 writers' strike, so that plus the fact that s3 is still my second favourite season and the fact that I liked the interns right away, I didn't have anything against how it was handled. Plus, Eric had his own personal problems and I was okay with him not being on the show anymore. I mean, I am a bit bitter about no one knowing Zack was innocent, but again, it's been so long. It's one of the things you either resolve right away or loses its meaning. Also, my main reason for liking Zack were his interactions with Hodgins, but I have to admit I came to like some of the interns more than him. Maybe that's why I am fine with it.
Anyway, even here my theory still holds: it's how you handle things. If you liked Zack and you want him to come back it's fine, but asking about it over and over again in a rude way, that's what annoys me.

Last point.. Stopping to watch a show is perfectly fine, just as fine is to come back after quite some time (I was never able to do that with Bones, but I basically do that everytime with every other show I watch.) it's the complaining that I don't get. I mean, if someone stops watching a show in s6, how can you complain about a s8 storyline without having even watched it? I've always found this kinda stupid, but maybe it's just me. Lol. One thing is to say "I stopped watching and I think I wouldn't like this storyline" but this is different from saying "It sucks."
I kinda stopped watching Grey's Anatomy years ago, and whenever I read headlines about the newest seasons I have opinions of course, but I would never click on them just to bash a show I am not even watching anymore. That is all. :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 984

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

But you still hate me. ;-) LOL

The Zack thing, I actually started watching the show in Season 3, my first episode was The Boy in the Time Capsule. But I liked Hodgins right away, and then went back and watched the first two seasons in about 2 weeks. So by the time the finale of season 3 aired, I was very invested in his character and loved his scenes with Zack. Eric Milligan did NOT want to leave the show, in fact because of the way they did it, there was a contract dispute he had to go through. It isn't the same as them killing Sweets because JFD had bigger and better things to move on to and asked to be let out, though I'm not sure he wanted the character killed, that was the cost of wanting to move on. The interesting thing is, and I do not have any inside knowledge about it, it is just my theory, they wanted to keep JFD because they thought he brought in a younger fan (girls) and couldn't afford 7 regulars so they had to shed one and Zack was the most removable in their minds. Which is fine, but at least make his exit make sense, and it never did. First they say he killed the lobbyist (despite the fact that I have freeze framed the guy in the closet over and over and over and it is NOT Zack) then they say he didn't kill anyone. But really like I said, if they hadn't pounded home that the Master and Apprentice are always widow's sons and then chose to have it be Zack despite that, they could have at least explained why. And they never did, then they have Zack say he didn't kill anyone and leave it at that. Plus the fact that these Masters/Apprentices had been around a long time had been established, and the cannibalism part of it was important, yet this particular Master recruits not only an apprentice that isn't a widow's son, but one that doesn't eat the kills. Makes no sense. It was done poorly, and I hate it and I will always complain about that. However, no I won't be asking the new show runners if they will bring Zack back because I don't know there is a good way to do that either, and unfortunately yes, they've moved well past that anyway. If they found some way to bring him back though, yes I'd be THRILLED so I haven't moved on completely and I never will. ;-)

The interns, I do like some of them but I was not impressed when they brought them in because they were originally all a bit stereotypical. Arastoo had the accent, Vincent was the guy with the facts (which by the way they took away from Hodgins), Clark the professional, Fisher the depressed, Daisy the woman who talks too much and is annoying. Wendell I hate so I don't even remember what he had when he first showed up. Plus the experiments suffered a bit when Hodgins does them with different interns, it was better with Zack. Though I did enjoy when he blew up the melons with the faces of people on it, especially Wendell's face. :D

I am a bit critical of the show, even though I like most of the characters, I think they shifted the focus too far onto just the Booth/Brennan relationship then separated the two of them where Brennan no longer went in the field and Booth no longer interacted with the lab people, and the show suffered for it. This season is a better because they've attempted to get back to that a bit. I think a lot of us complain about the things they were doing because we know how good the show CAN be.

word count: 657

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

Although I am a huge Booth and Brennan fangirl, I have to agree with your last paragraph. I do agree they have focused the show too much on Booth and Brennan. But the problem isn't even that, the problem is that many times what they have done with B&B wasn't even that good. But this can be said about many aspects of the show, it's a bit complicated. In the first seasons there was a lot of balance and even though the show has mostly always been about Booth and Brennan (because that was Hart's idea), they managed to create some wonderful personal relationships between the whole cast. Even if we don't consider Angela and Hodgins, it's pretty clear that many of the relationships on the show disappeared as the seasons went on. An example? Cam and Booth or even Brennan and Angela. But even this is debetable.. Like imo there was more Booth and Brennan in the first seasons than there is now. (Maybe it's the quality of the scenes, idk.)

Anyway.. About Eric/Zack, I'm not too sure, but I remember reading that Eric Millegan couldn't be anymore on the show because they worked long hours and it was tirying for him who had bipolar disorder. I don't know if this means he wanted to be writtin off or maybe only have less scenes, but I remember reading this and reading that Emily and Hart helped him quite a lot. About John, it's the opposite, I'm pretty sure he didn't want to be written off at all, I remember reading that interview from TV line, he wanted a 4/5 months hiatus which was not given to him by the producers. And although I liked Sweets and I wish John well, I understand that. Sometimes if you want more success you have to let go of something else. I can't see how a regular can ask for 5 months hiatus in the middle of the year.
And again, about the Gormogon storyline, I don't know, maybe it's the fact that I've always ccome to terms with the fact that Bones had a lot of loose ends. They don't do continuity well and there's so many plot holes even within the first 4 seasons (when the show was still good for most of the people) that I don't base my judgement on these things. There's some things Bones always did well, but continuity is not one of them. I remember them mentioning Brennan's grandparents in the first season or so and then completely changing that storyline soon after that. So imo the Gormogon storyline is still good and it's fitting with Zack's personality. The only serial killer arc on the show with no plot holes is the Grave Digger. Other than that, we have to admit serial killers are not their thing. Or better, the arcs are enjoyable, but the resolutions are always a bit all over the place. Just like their season finales. I've accepted this and moved on.
word count: 527

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Nope, not if you ask Eric Milligan. He didn't ask for that. Maybe they tried to use it to excuse their stupid plotline to get rid of him but no not because of his issues. Not at ALL. Brennan and Booth WERE in more scenes early on, what I mean by focused too much on their relationship they kept finding ways to keep them apart and focused on that one thing to the detriment of everyone else. Plus gave Sweets way too much to do, when he wasn't even necessary.

And sorry but Gravedigger has GLARING plot holes-a huge one in the very first episode once you find out later that Gravedigger worked alone. Sorry NO one can bury a car by themselves and leave no trace. Or honestly any of those huge containers they claimed people were buried in and the ship is beyond insane if you've ever been out in the middle of the ocean there are so many ships out there just getting the ship out without being seen is an insane thing. Epps is pretty much the only serial killer they did right and that is because they didn't drag it on too long. They told 3 really creepy stories and killed him. Perfect.
word count: 213

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

Well, I don't know any of the cast members personally, so I only base my judgement on what I read in intreviews. So since I could never ask Eric, I based my theory about what happened with him only on what I read online. Then I don't know if they forced him to get off the show for whatever reason, but online there is an interview about him not being able to shoot long hours anymore. That's what was known to the public. Then I wouldn't know. But anyway, it doesn't seem to me that Eric Millegan still acts..Maybe theater, but tv shows? I've never seen him anymore. Anyway, it would be a shame if things are not the way it seems and he was forced to leave the show, but still I am still of the idea that whatever resolution they wanted forZack, if you delay it too much it loses its meaning. Bringing Zack back now wouldn't be that special to me in the sense that I wouldn't care, but I am not against a resolution, of course. I understand many people loved him.

About serial killer arcs, idk why, but I usually give tv shows a margin of tv tropes to use. I mean, it's obvious not everything has to make sense or otherwise it wouldn't be tv, but sometimes it becomes too much and it gets ridic. Just like happened with Pelant. But I still enjoyed the GD arc, even if maybe it was dragged a bit or had some things that wouldn't have happened in reality. I mean, my idea of what's good or not on tv it's not completely based off "does it make perfect sense?" because it never really does.
word count: 301

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

This topic seems to have veered off in some interesting directions!
I seem to recall long ago being involved in endless discussions here about whether shows or characters were 'realistic' or indeed ought to be.
It normally took a similar form to the discussion going on here; one person would say that s/he found a particular event or individual unconvincing or out of character and a couple would chime in with "It's a TV series. The atmosphere is heightened. You have to make allowances for the odd plot hole or (as Marta says) TV trope. Enjoy it for what it is, it's not real life." For instance, it would be a bit silly to complain about Parker changing faces (new actor I believe, whom obviously I have not seen yet!). And the things they can do with the Angelatron sometimes teeter on the edge of unbelievable, but this is an aspect of the show most people are happy with. The idea of Hodgins' brother was a bit soapy and far-fetched, but it was played so well it wasn't a problem. Ditto Epps (my favourite serial killer!) - there were things that were a little hard to credit, but the character was totally believable. A personal gripe is when they mention something or someone once which never crops up again, but, well, that's TV.

My take on this is that, yes, I accept there are the occasional anomalies that you would expect of a TV show (see above, all these leave me perfectly happy), but events that are genuinely unbelievable because they are untrue to show canon or because they honestly would be impossible in real life annoy me. They scrape away at the back of my brain till they spoil my enjoyment. The Gravedigger - even with an accomplice, some of that stuff would not have worked. Brennan's foster circumstances. Pelant and Hodgins' fortune! Codes on bones and clues in saliva. And then the OOC moments: Angela's previous marriage! The A/H break-up. Brennan's doh-si-dohing between complete denial of emotions' validity, cold lack of understanding of those around her and growing empathy and warmth.Writing a character to fit a plot device is bad writing which I think we are entitled to criticise if it interferes with our enjoyment so much we can't dismiss it or compares poorly to previous excellent material.

And Zack. It's irrelevant why Eric left. We can never fathom all the different parts of that particular puzzle. Neither is it reasonable to demand his return (though the odd reference to him might be nice, or maybe one guest spot). But the way he was written out, regardless of whether it was due to the writers' strike or whatever, was OOC, out of canon and rather poor. I didn't particularly like the carousel of interns either. I would have liked a new permanent intern whom we could have got to know rather than a round of faces each representing a particular cliché. And then they killed off my favourite one! But I see why they made the choice to replace Zack with many and accept that.

In the end it's very personal what bothers one or not; as Jules says, it would be pretty boring if we couldn't discuss things!

Marta, I understand now what you mean about casual fans. We all start off that way, I think. I certainly started just watching the occasional ep - not even in order - on Sky, and suddenly found myself watching every day (at that point they were screening random episodes from seasons 1 and 2 on a daily basis). The characters and the cases drew me in. That's why I get a bit miffed when they gloss over the case like it's not important. In the best episodes character development is married to the case....
word count: 652

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Actually I liked the Gravedigger arc too for the most part but I just wish they hadn't said she was acting alone, that was the thing that made her a bit superhuman. I actually liked the Gormogon arc too until they ruined it at the end, by totally turning their back on everything they had told us about the Master/Apprentice. That to me is bad writing and can't be excused by the fact that it is TV-because it isn't some small continuity detail it was a huge one that they had mentioned many times. I can forgive Brennan mentioning a grandfather or grandmother early on in season 1 then later forgetting that. I'm willing to overlook things like Angela being able to identify people in 2 seconds or the fact they get DNA back so fast, because we do need to know that stuff in order to move on in each episode. I doubt anyone would stick with a storyline long enough to where that could be realistic, find the body one episode, 5 episodes later identify it via DNA. :laughing-rolling:

As Steph mentioned, Hodgins brother, I was COMPLETELY against that idea due to him being the last as he said, other than an uncle apparently, but that was an example of GOOD writing, at least I thought so. It was done well, while the story might not be completely believable it was good enough to let the little things go. And yes I realize if they give TJ good stuff I'm willing to let things slide a LITTLE bit more than at other times too.

Marta we actually agree about Zack other than the fact I really liked him and you weren't that invested in his character. I don't see any reason to keep asking about his return when they chose to move away from that, it is obvious it isn't going to happen. I won't let go of my resentment HOW they did it though. But other than here I don't go around crying about Zack.
word count: 349