Bones 7.07 The Prisoner in the Pipe

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Bones 7.07 The Prisoner in the Pipe

Post by SmackyKennedy »

A review! A review! Okay, more like random commentary in my case, but here you go. I do think they did a great job of melding all the personal stuff with the case in this episode. There was a lot going on here, and I'm sure someone (hint, hint) can delve into the character growth more....

*This might be one to hold off on eating until after the 1st commercial break. As well trained as our stomachs are, this one is pretty gross!. And Brennan's excitement over the different ways the body could have been disposed of was pretty funny.

TJ hair alert! :romance-smileyheart: Not crazy about Cam's though. Now the important stuff is out of the way...

I still don't like Daisy, and I still think she's annoying, but I thought she was used very well in this episode and had some great scenes. Hodgins/Daisy together is always a treat. She brings out that angry Hodgins.

I love how Daisy goes "This is going to be good isn't it?" during Hodgins' lightbulb moment. "It's very, very good." Duh. He and Angela are really the ones that solve all the cases right??

-"Pinocchio, your nose is growing." :P This would have been WAY funnier if Brennan and Booth caught Sweets on the floor in her office.

Also, I think Booth/Brennan and Hodgins/Angela should "clear their heads" more. :)

-I didn't trust this prison warden for a second---she murdered her husband by spear on a Castle episode. :)

The camera kept cutting too much to the nervous security guard, kind of distracting. It's like they want me to think it's this guy, but they're being too obvious about it, so I know it's not him.

Speaking of nervous, did you see the (the guilty) prisoner's eyes during Booth's interrogation? I don't know if the actor was doing it on purpose or not, but there was some serious nystagmus going on there that was also a bit distracting.

Really liked the camera work during the scene with Brennan walking through the prisoners at the end.

Fave Brennan moments:
-"My IQ could be 8-10 points lower at this stage of pregnancy"
So true, lol. Pregnancy brain is a real disorder and unfortunately it sometimes stays and develops into mom brain.
-Brennan, on Daisy is becoming a dulah, "You are not going anywhere near my cervix."
-"My mucosal plug is superb."
-"The infirmary here is [just as good as a hospital] isn't that what you wanted?"

Baby born in a manger? How perfect for these two! And so funny that Brennan can't stop arguing even while in excruciating pain. I thought it was really well done.

I'm glad they allowed enough time for all the personal stuff this episode. I've heard it's not going to be all about babies from here on out, but I think every now and then we need to indulge a bit right?

"Christine Angela" I think I mentioned this in the chatbox. I approve. Kid's going to be a genius. :wink:
word count: 523
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Episode 7:7 The Prisoner in the Pipe

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey! I do believe Sky Living has started back up with S7 eps which means I can record this episode next week (and record ep 6 tonight btw, that's the one of which I only got to see the first third before my connection played up). I have, however, managed to watch this one anyway, multitudinous thanks to the lovely Anya :banana-dance: who helped me with a couple of links.

Luckily Bones has trained me up over the years to the point where I can actually cope relatively phlegmatically with an eye in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless - yuk. That poor child is going to be seriously damaged.

I enjoyed this episode but I do wish the killer had been rather less obvious! Mind you, somehow they tend to get either the procedural bit right or the character bit right at the moment, I don't feel that link any more and it was what made the first 2 seasons so effective. And different from the many similar programmes available. However, Hodgins having brainwaves and dealing with acid baths - always good. Major style king of the lab. Despite Daisy still being a piece of grit on my own eyeball, I too like the way she & Hodgins bounce off one another. Though I may actually reach for the off button if I see her attempting to have sex in the office again. Funny, I didn't mind when it was Hodgins and Angela (!) but at least they sought notional privacy.
I did like the setting. The prison backdrop recalls the episodes with Epps and Max - Bones handles the lockdown-type environment very well both in terms of use of space and, as Ang says, camera work. I was very impressed with Brennan striding through the wave of prisoners at the end - lots of drama there. The physical here contrasts extremely well with all the ingenious theoretical work that's been going on in the lab.

The birth and the baby. Baby is gorgeous and I will love her. Nevertheless I am starting to find her parents' niggling arguments irritating, it's almost as if the writers are trying to contrive conflict about everything. Personally, all things being equal, and mother and baby both healthy, I'm all for home birth, but my opinion doesn't really matter - surely the important thing is what the mother feels most comfortable and relaxed with? Anyway, the 'manger' angle was a good compromise despite its in-your-face religious overtones. And the birth was more realistic than a lot I have seen onscreen although I had visualised Brennan wanting to be more active, walking around or squatting or whatever; supine is not a good position for handling pain.

Amazing and impressive that I can still be led from disgust at the way human beings treat one another to wonder at human interaction within an hour.
word count: 481
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: Bones 7.07 The Prisoner in the Pipe

Post by TJ4ever »

C'mon, the baby was born in a manger?!? Seriously guys!!! That was bad. I couldn't watch it anymore. Quite a while since I watched this ep on DVD but still had a bad memory about that!
word count: 38
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.