That eighties feel

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

That eighties feel

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, while I await news of the Boy In The Time Capsule (yeucch, that body sounds majorly gross! Person soup, mmm, lovely), my mind turns to 20 years ago and the person I was at the time. What were you lot doing in 1987? I had been married for a year, so big life changes all round. Comfort and security, not to mention a skilful cook of a husband, had put 8 or 9 pounds on me! Even though my style had been sobered up somewhat by having taught for 6 years, I was still in leggings, legwarmers and fluorescent socks. In a weird reflection of this year, a good colleague of mine had just died tragically over the summer vacation. And, weirder, I had just acquired a Yr 7 tutor group, exactly as I have this year (and that one, by the way, included Ben Kay, the famous England rugby player)! The UK had seen massive hurricanes which hadn't affected us but had done a lot of damage around where my family lived.

Yep - wild time indeed. I'll see if I can remember more later. But if you were to have locked away memories of yourself and your then life in a 1987 time capsule, what would be in it? :)
word count: 213

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

i was 6 years old so i wouldn't remember much
word count: 11
"COCENTRATE ON WHAT CANNOT LIE. THE EVIDENCE" GIL GRISSOM

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Now that was just gratuitously cruel, ouch! Here is someone born the year I started to teach high school.
Low blow, blue_eyes!!
word count: 23

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hmmm... I had to do a little math, Steph. ;)

I was 15 in the fall of 1987, going into my sophomore year of high school. My sister was a senior, so to everyone (teachers and students alike) I was always 'Lisa's little sister' (both a good thing and sometimes an annoying thing). :D

Academically a good year (from what I recall) -- got good grades, I remember I was taking geometry (didn't enjoy it), biology (wacky science teacher that year... I can still recite from memory his sentence-long definition of "life," which he would give us bonus points for stating out loud whenever he sporadically called on us to do so), social studies, and of course English/literature, always my favorite class ... and that year I had one of my favorite English teachers ever, Mrs. DeSalva. She was just awesome, so fun, made the class interesting, and somehow still remembers my name after all these years -- how do teachers do that??

Musically speaking, it was also the start of something fun and lovely. I was in the school orchestra and also in the girls' choir that year (too chicken to audition for the Chamber Choir until the next year), but my wonderful teacher Mrs. McAllister (we called her "Mrs. Mac") encouraged me to step outside of my box a bit. She worked with me on my singing and nudged me into singing a solo for one of those district "solo and ensembles" competitions where you can sing or play an instrument, choosing a piece from a special list and competing for medals. I still remember the song she helped me choose, an Italian piece entitled "O del mio dolce ardor." I thought everything about it was so beautiful, from the slightly improvisational melismas to the evocative piano accompaniment. Long story short, I got a 'starred first' award at District, which meant I would go on to the State competition to sing it again. That was very exciting.

Also, even though I had really wanted to be in the school musicals, I'd chickened out of auditioning for it my freshman year (Brigadoon) so sophomore year 1987 I made myself audition despite my fears and shyness. It was the year of The Sound of Music, and I got a part as a nun. Heh. My sister was the Baroness (the one who is with Captain Von Trapp until Maria comes along). I looked up to every one of those performing seniors, including my sister. I loved every moment of being in that show. Okay, maybe not the moment during the dress rehearsal peformance when I blew out my candle too hard and got hot liquid wax all over my costume, my hand, and my part of my face. Oops. At least it happened on my way heading off stage. LOL.

But what was important about all that was how much fun I had, and how it gave me the courage to keep pursuing those musical interests. I really loved that part of my high school experience -- the school musicals, orchestra, chamber choirs, and show choir. Even when I struggled with other parts of my life during that time (growing up, liking boys who liked someone else, dealing with heavy amounts of homework, blah blah), what I remember most about that time was all the music and the fun those experiences brought to me.

1987 was a good year. :D

Oh, and I refuse to talk about my hairstyle from back then. It was the 80's. Big hair, curled bangs and perms... you figure out. I plead insanity. :lol:
word count: 597

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ooh Sherry, I relate to so much of this! Except I was the older sister when I was in senior school (I was 15 in 1974: lusting over the likes of David Cassidy and the Osmonds but saving much of my musical appreciation for Queen - give me anything with a harmony line and I love it).
Sinkwriter72 wrote: that year I had one of my favorite English teachers ever, Mrs. DeSalva. She was just awesome, so fun, made the class interesting, and somehow still remembers my name after all these years -- how do teachers do that??
You don't remember them all, Sherry, just the very special ones who kind of glow out at you and whose career you follow with interest. My son is now at university doing French and his French professor was taught by...you guessed it, yours truly. So I remember him vividly! And he has always said I changed his life by getting him into languages. I myself had an experience like yours with a fantastic and inspiring history teacher I had and who left my school when she was in her early to mid thirties and I was 14. We've been writing to each other ever since - for 34 years!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Musically speaking, it was also the start of something fun and lovely. I was in the school orchestra and also in the girls' choir that year (too chicken to audition for the Chamber Choir until the next year), but my wonderful teacher Mrs. McAllister (we called her "Mrs. Mac") encouraged me to step outside of my box a bit. She worked with me on my singing and nudged me into singing a solo for one of those district "solo and ensembles" competitions where you can sing or play an instrument, choosing a piece from a special list and competing for medals.

Oh yes, my man used to do a lot of those - music festivals. I did one once, but hated the fact that the adjudicators were there to give advice and critique rather than to enjoy, so, although I took exams, I didn't do formal festivals the way he did.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:I still remember the song she helped me choose, an Italian piece entitled "O del mio dolce ardor." I thought everything about it was so beautiful, from the slightly improvisational melismas to the evocative piano accompaniment. Long story short, I got a 'starred first' award at District, which meant I would go on to the State competition to sing it again. That was very exciting.
Love that one. I have it in front of me on the desk - Gluck, right? - in the book of Italian songs and arias on which I cut my teeth when I was starting singing lessons. It's hard to sing well, though it sounds deceptively simple. Well done!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Also, even though I had really wanted to be in the school musicals, I'd chickened out of auditioning for it my freshman year (Brigadoon) so sophomore year 1987 I made myself audition despite my fears and shyness. It was the year of The Sound of Music, and I got a part as a nun. Heh. My sister was the Baroness (the one who is with Captain Von Trapp until Maria comes along). I looked up to every one of those performing seniors, including my sister. I loved every moment of being in that show.
Yep. I was always in good light opera/musical societies before I had the kids (and so was unable to perform week-long runs when I would always be early out and late home). I loved all the shows too, and all the people I met through them. I have just gone back to my choral society after a heavy-work-induced absence, and I feel so loved - everyone keeps coming up saying how much they've missed me! Music, of course, cemented my bond with my other half, whom I can now hear in the kitchen belting out the prologue to 'I Pagliacci' at the top of his great voice.
We have a lot in common, you and I!

Oh yes, and..the hair. By 1987 I'd pretty much got it under control, medium length, slightly layered bob type thing. But when I was 15 I had no idea what to do with my hair, it just hung there, middle-parted in a way that made me look, I was told, like a Madonna (no - not Madonna - A Madonna, as in religious iconography. And it wasn't intended as flattery). When I was 17 I made a pact with my best friend that we'd both get our hair cut into a fringe the same night. Needless to say, she betrayed me by chickening out, and I was left with these somewhat unprepossessing, whimsical tufts that did nothing I wanted them to! Could've killed her. We should have looked silly together. Ho hum!
word count: 828

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

ThyneAlone wrote:Now that was just gratuitously cruel, ouch! Here is someone born the year I started to teach high school.
Low blow, blue_eyes!!
Sorry i didn't mean to insult. i think 1987 was when i started school. i could be wrong. i know i had to wear an eye patch and glasses (i still wear glasses)
word count: 59

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Don't feel bad, Blue Eyes--enjoy being young and make the most of it!

87? I was 26, single (as I still am), and trying to figure out what to do with my life. I was working as a nanny, had just returned from a backpacking trip to Europe with my best friend, and had finally decided to go to college. I had some big 80's hair (my friend Julie called my bangs "flying buttresses"), and I remember wearing my ankle length jeans tucked into my over-sized baggy socks. That was my "religious period," and I attended many church youth dances wearing my turquoise blue dress with the big white polka dots and full skirt. I loved New Wave music. I was watching shows like "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" and "Remington Steele." I had an 84, white Volkswagen convertible (just like Laura Holt's!).

Sigh... weren't the 80's grand?
word count: 154
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*laughing hard* "Flying buttresses." Wow. That is classic, Rebecca. Heeeee.

I laugh because my yearbook pictures are full of poofy bangs so I understand. Though not as big-haired as some of my friends' -- some of them really achieved 'quality' height. LOL.

Personally, I liked hearing about the rest of your experiences. Backpacking, exploring other countries, daring to do what you wanted (rather than jumping right to college, which I sometimes wish I hadn't done, but at the time I didn't know I could have it any other way). It all sounds fantastic!

PS. A big yay to Remington Steele. Awesome. :D
word count: 103

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Indeed, Sherry, it's amazing that we could "sculpt" our hair into the fashion of the 80's. My hair has always been wavy but fine, so all I could manage were the bangs--and that was with the aid of much hair spray. I am so happy that flat hair is in right now!
word count: 55

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Amen to that, sister. ;)

My hair is probably similiar to yours. I usually only messed with the bangs area, because I'm just not good with that sort of thing. The only way I could achieve such 'style' was with a perm or with a curling iron, both damaging to my hair. Straight hair is delightful. LOL. I envy TJ's natural curls.
word count: 63

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

1987, eh? Sorry to the ladies who were in their teens and twenties, but like blue_eyes, I was a mere child. I was 7 that year.

Probably the most important things for me would have been my brother the pest, who would have been 4, my dog, and of course TV. That would have been when I was obsessed with ALF, my parents' music (Bruce Springsteen, John Cougar, Neil Diamond), and toys. I'm sure Barbies, My Little Ponies, Strawberry Shortcake, and Rainbow Brite were at the top of my toybox.

I also was most likely obsessed with Annie (the original movie), and I remember being fascinated with Poltergeist, too. I was a weird child, what can I say?

Unlike you lucky ladies (though I'm sure this falls into the "grass is greener syndrome"), I have had thick, poker straight hair my entire life. So when I was in love with Little Orphan Annie, I wanted perms, and perms I had. When my hair was shorter it would "fro" just like Annie's, only my hair was more auburn than red.

I honestly can't say much else because I don't have solid memories of '87, other than photos I've seen, and what I can gage from scant memories.
word count: 213
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

do you know kimerhodgela the worst thing about being that age was i'm a twin and my mother would dress us the same. thank god by age nine i have my own style. me and my twin don't even look alike and we still were dressed the same. i crnge just thinking about now
word count: 56

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

blue_eyes wrote:do you know kimerhodgela the worst thing about being that age was i'm a twin and my mother would dress us the same. thank god by age nine i have my own style. me and my twin don't even look alike and we still were dressed the same. i crnge just thinking about now
That's cool that you're a twin. But then again, I'm sure it's similar to the hair thing. Those who didn't have a twin wanted one, and those who didn't have curly hair wanted it (and vise versa for those without straight hair). Is your twin a sister or brother? (I kind of assume sister).

I have a younger brother, and there are photos of us in similar outfits, too! Even though we are different sexes. My mom was a seamstress on the side, so she often made us summer outfits (tank top and shorts) that were the same pattern. Oy. I, too, am glad that I developed a sense of my own style before too long! I also really like that, in this day and age, a lot of parents let their children dress themselves.
word count: 200
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

KimberHodgela wrote:
blue_eyes wrote:do you know kimerhodgela the worst thing about being that age was i'm a twin and my mother would dress us the same. thank god by age nine i have my own style. me and my twin don't even look alike and we still were dressed the same. i crnge just thinking about now
That's cool that you're a twin. But then again, I'm sure it's similar to the hair thing. Those who didn't have a twin wanted one, and those who didn't have curly hair wanted it (and vise versa for those without straight hair). Is your twin a sister or brother? (I kind of assume sister).

I have a younger brother, and there are photos of us in similar outfits, too! Even though we are different sexes. My mom was a seamstress on the side, so she often made us summer outfits (tank top and shorts) that were the same pattern. Oy. I, too, am glad that I developed a sense of my own style before too long! I also really like that, in this day and age, a lot of parents let their children dress themselves.
Its a twin sister i have and i also have five other sisters. no brothers but two nephews and 2 nieces or nephew on the way
word count: 228

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I cringe a little thinking about this, of which you have just reminded me:

Early 80s. My sister and I have developed completely different dress styles. But we are inveterate mummy's girls and often go out with Mum, shopping or whatever, when we are both home at special occasions. One Sunday afternoon we go down the pub to see the regular very good jazz band, and you know what we do? We dress identically. We all had jeans on and a white woollen V-necked sweater with purple trim which looked great on us all. All together? Way cheesy and OTT.

Told you. Oh, cringe.
word count: 106
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Not cringe at all, Steph--that sounds so sweet. Being a "mummy's girl" myself, and close to my sister, I can totally relate! My sister, however, has her own distinct style and does not willingly participate in dress-alikes.

And Blue_eyes, with such a large mob of siblings, you must never be lonely! So where do you fall in the pecking order?
word count: 64

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I know this is an "older" thread but thought I'd join in. I was 19-20 in 1987 out of high school for almost 2 years. I wasn't doing much of anything really, I didn't want to go to school anymore so was just doing odd jobs here and there and wondering what I wanted to do and be when I grew up. I had a fairly short non-big hair haircut, but still very eighties because it was "feathered" in front. I wore the shirts with the ruffles up around the neck and the sleeves, kind of a preppy except I couldn't afford the really preppy clothes. ;) It took me another year to do something with my life, and ironically NOW I'm going to college, 20 years later. :shock:

Sharon
word count: 135

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

ROTFL!

The one time I forced my sister (your namesake, Sharon) into a dress-alike was in the 80s--and our matching outfits had big ruffled collars and sleeves! Sis hated it! I still have the pic to prove it, too.
word count: 41