Bones 3.09 The Santa in the Slush

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I'm new here and I just read this thread. This post says a lot of what I was thinking about the episode. The funny thing is that this was only the third Bones episode I had seen, and I mean at all, no season one or two or the first bit of season 3 even. So rather than recreate what has been said I'm going to add my puny little thoughts to what Sherry said so well (I hope that is ok. :? ).
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Hmm... what did I think of this episode?

Wellllll...

As much as I would like to say I loved it, I can't. As you ladies have already noted, The Man in the Fallout Shelter had so much more heart (and structure to the episode). This episode, while definitely cute at times, did not achieve what it could have.

I've been mulling it over, trying to figure out what is bothering me about the Brennan/Booth connection and the Angela/Hodgins romance lately.

For Brennan and Booth, I think the forced Christmas kiss was exactly that. Forced. And not in a cute, funny, fumbling way that flowed naturally within the storyline. Instead, the powers that be pushed a reason, which is why I think it did not work at all. I mean, look at this exchange between Brennan and Caroline:

CAROLINE: You want me to write that letter, you kiss Booth on the lips for no less than ... one steamboat, two steamboats... five steamboats.
BRENNAN: That’s blackmail.
CAROLINE: That’s correct.
BRENNAN: That’s unethical.

ME: That’s ridiculous.

There is no way that Ms. No-Nonsense Caroline, in a puckish mood or otherwise, would suggest Brennan and Booth do any such thing. In fact, I'd be more willing to believe that she'd be direct about the whole thing, if she gave a damn about the topic at all. She'd either tell the both of them to quit behaving unprofessionally -- 'straighten up and fly right' -- or she'd tell them outright that it's obvious they have feelings for each other and they should quit behaving like idiots.
What I've been thinking all week was WHY would Caroline want that? Why would this woman want them to kiss or care whether the two of them kiss or don't kiss? I agree from what I'd seen of Caroline before, out of all the things she could ask for, why would she think making them kiss would be the best deal? What exactly does she get out of it? Just dumb in my opinion.
Sinkwriter72 wrote: Like the aforementioned X-Files Mulder/Scully kiss on New Year's Eve, forcing a kiss to happen between Booth and Brennan in this way does not make it a sexy or cherished kiss. It makes the kiss seem programmed, stuck in the script in a misguided attempt to have something 'hot' to advertise. It's definitely not romantic that way. It does not honor the characters, the work the actors have put in, nor the viewers who enjoy the relationship between those characters as it has naturally evolved. It could have been done so much better.
I agree, and that is exactly what has been bothering me all week, is that it didn't make sense to me and didn't really even advance the story other than "Ooooooooooo they kissed". Like third graders on the playground. :roll:
Sinkwriter72 wrote: As for Angela and Hodgins, I think I'm starting to see the problem. At least, in my view, what is a problem. ;)

Lately, the writers have had many cute moments between Angela and Hodgins. Very lovey-dovey, isn't he cute, isn't she adorable, kind of moments. While that sweetness has its place, it can start to feel overdone. Just as we might get annoyed when hanging out with dating friends who get too smooshy with each other in public on a regular basis, and you want to tell them to take it down a notch. *GRIN*

I'd rather not have too many toss-out lines about how cute Angela is behaving, or how sexy 'Hodgie' is, lines which seem to have no real weight behind them, lines which simply seem like the writers are trying to give the actors something to do.

I think I see more depth in these relationships when the writers give the characters something to do, something more than standing around making light and fluffy comments about each other. I like it best when their actions and words are a natural part of the story, when their words make an impact on each other.
Yes, being someone that saw cute before I saw substance, I was wondering if they were one of those extra mushy couples that makes me want to hurl sometimes. :oops: I actually became more attached to Hodgins and Angela after I decided this show was worth the investment in time and money to watch all the shows I missed (I'm not done yet, still in season 2).

I cut a bit of the original post for this next bit because I just wanted to address these parts...
Sinkwriter72 wrote:

As well, in The Blonde in the Game, there is a moment when Booth is pressuring Hodgins to come up with an answer to where the latest kidnapping victim might be held, and Hodgins is clearly tense and overwhelmed that his guess might get the girl killed. Angela shows up and encourages Hodgins, helping him to calm down and think rationally. She supports him in that moment, and we can see by the look on his face that he is incredibly grateful for that.

When approached in that manner, we can see how the characters care about each other. We can see all the ways they relate to each other, whether flirtatious, funny, angry, frustrated, teasing, or affectionate.
This has been my favorite Hodgins/Angela moment that I have seen so far. As I've been going through the first episodes, I have noticed that there is something special about Angela, and this was one of the moments that showed there is something special in her connection with Hodgins as well. I think its something we'd seen with Angela before but mostly only with Brennan or "outsiders" until this episode.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:
Those kinds of moments are part of the story in some way; therefore, they have more meaning, which is why I think they touch us emotionally. They have something to add. They have greater impact.

I understand that not every story or episode can fully incorporate every character, but I think it's really important that when the characters are used, they have a good reason for being there. They add something special or funny or silly or moving to the scenes and the story overall. I think that's crucial. And treating them that way honors the actors, the character relationships and the stories that have been built for almost three full seasons now.
Yes, if the story is good, there is a purpose for everything. Not just random characters thrown in to say some throw away line. Which coming into the show backwards then going to the beginning it is even more noticeable that Sweets isn't necessary. At least I don't think so. But then I haven't warmed up to Cam yet either but I've only seen up to season 2 episode 8 so far (going to watch the famous 2-09 in a few minutes).
:D

Sharon
word count: 1265

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I think everything you have said is brilliant, but just one or two caveats (my job to play devil's advocate!).
Firstly, I think you'll get people saying that you shouldn't have made a separate thread. They will argue that this is what the ep discussion threads are for.
Secondly, if everyone goes on at once with valid criticisms, it will be noticed and we might be seen as a group of troublemakers or trolls coming in to stir things up.
Thirdly, please don't denigrate the Fox contributors as less articulate than we are! Some of their posts are really thoughtful and interesting, and don't forget, we have probably picked up some members who now belong both here and there.
And fourthly, and most importantly, don't forget that we are supposed to be there first and foremost to promote TJ as positively as we can. However intelligent the critiques are, it will be a slight tangent to the awareness we are supposed to be evoking. So do both - but don't let the reviews take over, ok?
Thanks to you all for your genuine caring, mutual support, good ideas and thoughtfulness which are making this, I feel, into an exceptional message board.
Steph xxx
word count: 209
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Leave it to Steph to bring us back to earth!
ThyneAlone wrote:I think everything you have said is brilliant, but just one or two caveats (my job to play devil's advocate!).
Firstly, I think you'll get people saying that you shouldn't have made a separate thread. They will argue that this is what the ep discussion threads are for.
True, I can see that happening. However, there are always plenty of random threads that pop up for every episode. Did you not see the whole "Tongue or no Tongue?" dialogue going on?
ThyneAlone wrote:Secondly, if everyone goes on at once with valid criticisms, it will be noticed and we might be seen as a group of troublemakers or trolls coming in to stir things up.[/color]
...and I suppose we are... :twisted:
ThyneAlone wrote:Thirdly, please don't denigrate the Fox contributors as less articulate than we are! Some of their posts are really thoughtful and interesting, and don't forget, we have probably picked up some members who now belong both here and there.[/color]
I wasn't making a blanket statement about all fans over on the Fox forum. I'm referring to those fans who have in the past, and would again, try to silence our thoughtful discourse. So yes, I will denigrate them, and not apologize for it.
ThyneAlone wrote:And fourthly, and most importantly, don't forget that we are supposed to be there first and foremost to promote TJ as positively as we can.[/color]
Still, the Fox forum is the place where TPTB see the fans' reactions to episodes and storylines. We need to let them know what isn't working for us, regarding not only Hodgins' character, but the show in general. You are correct in that we will need to choose our words carefully so as not to aggravate anyone too much.

Of course, we could just forget the whole idea and stick with cutting and pasting comments in the episode thread, carefully monitoring what we say so that it doesn't offend anyone--and end on a positive note about the show and characters. I suppose that would be the safe way to go about it.
word count: 370
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah my sweet, but, being intelligent individuals and honest writers yourselves, you and Sherry are not really into 'safe', are you?

No, ok, it sounds like you will be fine over there and do a good job. You're quite right that TPTB at Fox need to know what we like and what we're not happy with. And recaps were always fun. We've done some ace reviews, haven't we, over at tv.com/bones?
People who didn't know us on that board, where I first met Rebecca and Kimber - we used to choose an ep a week and all write what we thought about it, getting together all at the same time if we could. It was inspiring. Since we came over here the jackandangela thread has dropped back to about the 4th page, but there is some great stuff in it.

Rebecca, of course I am with you about the inevitable individuals who are not interested in a proper discussion. It's just I think this:
begolden wrote:I'm referring to those fans who have in the past, and would again, try to silence our thoughtful discourse. So yes, I will denigrate them, and not apologize for it.
sounds almost as though it's about a completely different aspect of posters, and definitely less general(LOL!)than this!
begolden wrote:Most fans over there write about two sentences and nothing more. We can overwhelm them with the sheer power of our multi-paragraphing skills! With the talented linguists on this board, we'd blow away the rest of them..
Well, Wonder Women, the floor is yours, you know your stuff. Get in there and I'll back you up when I have time to get across (still on reports for the next week I fear!)
word count: 301

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

TV.com, those were the good old days! We could even go back and rip a few lines from some our more worthy discussions over there.

Sorry you are in the midst of report time, Steph. Fortunately, we put ours behind us back at the beginning of November. Oh, and I did go ahead and register on MySpace. Is that not pathetic? :? But I did get a very lovely reply back from TJ. The guy is a total sweetheart!
word count: 79

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Why is that pathetic, Rebecca? The only reason I first signed up was to be able to visit David Duchovny's site during the time he was promoting and blogging regularly about his "House of D" film, which I couldn't access unless I signed up. I wanted to read about it and find out more from the writer/director's perspective. Plus, as you already know, I am an X-Files fan, so how could I not support him and cheer him on? As I see it, nothing wrong with that. :D

Plus, now some of my friends are there, either promoting something creative that they do, or simply to blog re: whatever comes to mind, so it's nice to be there to encourage them in their endeavors.

That's the way I see it, anyway.
word count: 137

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Thanks for the encouragement, Sherry. I guess I thought MySpace was for young people, not me. However, now that I'm there, I guess I'm not feeling so old! You beat me to the friend invitation--had plans to extend the offer to you today after I got home from work, but your offer was there first! For anyone else who is a MySpace resident, my page is at http://myspace.com/gldn1960 . Can't say you'll find it too exciting, but I'd love to have other TJ fans as "friends."
word count: 94

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thanks for the encouragement, Sherry. I guess I thought MySpace was for young people, not me. However, now that I'm there, I guess I'm not feeling so old!
Bah, humbug! You are NOT old. I saw your picture -- if I may say so, you are one hot woman and do not look anywhere near the age you have listed. :mrgreen:

Of course, what is an 'age' supposed to look like, anyway? My mom is always griping about her age, but I think she looks terrific and people are always telling her that, too. Besides, I do believe in that adage about age being a state of mind. My parents are in their 60's, but they stay active -- they go dancing together, they like to go on bike rides in the summer and cross-country skiing in the winter, and they go for long walks and talk with each other, and go out to dinner and movies with their friends, and they travel once a year to someplace they've never been... I think that's wonderful. As long as you're enjoying your life and feel healthy and strong, what difference does a number make?

I have friends who are younger than me, and friends who are older than me. Makes no difference to me, so long as we have something in common, enjoy a good conversation and have fun together. That's what's important to me. :D

I'm delighted to be your 'friend' on myspace. Glad to see you join!
word count: 254

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Right on, Sherry! We are only as old as we feel, as they say.

Thanks for the nice compliment--but what the pics don't reveal is the cellulite and good 50% of gray hair (covered by dye, of course), and the body trying to go through menopause! Oooh, we could have a whole other thread on that topic...
word count: 59

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

oooooohhhh yes. I could talk about those things for ever, and regularly bore and embarrasss my testosterone-fuelled household on them!

Greying hair does not mean old. We have a friend whose hair was completely white by the time he was 24 or so. That said, I have just been out on an expensive Christmas trip to the hairdresser and emerged with a lovely understated dark red hair with light brown and gold-coppery lowlights. Even the pupils have noticed and complimented it.

I wore the frills as well, very New Romantic. But I was worse in my kiddy days in the sixties. I remember, when I was about 10, wearing a monstrosity; straight bright orange nylon slip with a subtle see-through orange and pink frilly tunic over the top (yes - definitely over the top!!!), kind of psychedelia gone corny. More cringe.

Shouldn't this be in another thread somewhere?! We are geniuses at intelligent offtopic.
word count: 157

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm responsible for a good portion of the sudden switch to 'off topic' here -- I just couldn't stand by and let Rebecca insult herself in her post. I think too many women do that to themselves (oh-so-guilty as charged -- I may write a LiveJournal post about it, the topic's such a soapbox thing for me). We hold (and compare) ourselves to impossible, perfectionist standards, and it's not right. Rebecca's marvelous! You all are! So, no put-downs allowed. :D

Okay, back to Santa in the Slush.

First off, Sharon, your thoughts are not puny. They're lovely, and thank you for contributing. And on a side note, the fact that you used quotes from my own commentary made me blush with delight. Thanks for that.
What I've been thinking all week was WHY would Caroline want that? Why would this woman want them to kiss or care whether the two of them kiss or don't kiss?
That's the thing... to me, anyway. She wouldn't want that. That's why I felt it was not a 'quirky, funny episode,' as I noticed some people saying on other boards. They tried to make it that way, but -- as I've read comedians say -- you can't force humor; you can't make it funny, or it may come out as trying too hard. I think that's what happened here (because in the past the writers have definitely shown they can write funny episodes that do work). I felt it wasn't enough of a reason to force that kiss. I know many, many people wanted to see it (I enjoy Booth and Brennan, too), so in their eyes the end justified the means, but I just think they could have chosen many other avenues to make that kiss happen in a funny, quirky way. Without using a character who truly wouldn't give a damn about such things. She's got more important stuff to deal with, and she'd tell them all so.
What exactly does she get out of it?
Nothing. That's my issue, too. I understand they tried to make it work, by saying Caroline has a 'puckish side' which would therefore make it seem as though what she gets out of it is her own amusement and delight in seeing two colleagues kiss. The FBI guy and the scientist. Hilarity ensues!

Unfortunately, that isn't necessarily in the spirit of their previous Christmas episode, which was both funny and heartwarming. And for me (and some of you), it doesn't work for her specific character. Maybe for someone else, like Angela, but then I think Bones would have been able to say no to Angela (and Angela wouldn't have had anything to hold over Brennan's head like Caroline did with the family prison rules stuff). I don't know... maybe if the mistletoe had been up there as innocuously placed by Angela as part of regular Christmas decorating, it would have worked. Then the kiss would be, "Well, it's there, we can't ignore it, especially with everyone looking. So, we'll kiss. *ahem* No big deal, right?"

I suppose for argument's sake, they had to make it a kiss given under silly circumstances, because if they had given each other a 'serious' kiss, then the characters would have to examine that, examine their feelings for each other, which the show probably doesn't want to get into just yet. So they opted for the silly, so that it could be treated as a 'toss off' scene, one in which the characters can laugh it off, saying they were forced into it by Caroline and therefore it means nothing. The show can move on to other things for the time being.

RE: The Blonde in the Game
This has been my favorite Hodgins/Angela moment that I have seen so far. As I've been going through the first episodes, I have noticed that there is something special about Angela, and this was one of the moments that showed there is something special in her connection with Hodgins as well. I think its something we'd seen with Angela before but mostly only with Brennan or "outsiders" until this episode.
And I think Hodgins was affected by it in that moment. He gets this marvelous look on his face, of wonder or amazement, like he's not seen her in this way before. Like she did something incredibly helpful and supportive, and in that moment he's astounded and moved by her generosity. It's a definite shift in the way they connect with each other. I'm not surprised it only takes a couple more episodes before Hodgins decides to ask her out.
word count: 802

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: Bones 3.09 The Santa in the Slush

Post by TJ4ever »

I re-watched this ep yesterday - don't exactly know why :-? - just picked one random season and one random ep because I couldn't remember the eps from the early days. I must say I liked the B&B-kiss. Why Caroline wanted them to kiss - well I guess that was a X-mas present from Hart Hanson to the fans and he somehow needed someone in Bones to bring it up for what reason ever! It was such a cute scene. And I remembered that I started to watch this show at first because of the B&B ralationship. I really liked David Boreanaz back then because of BUFFY. Switched very soon to focus on Hodgins and Angela - TJ made me - but that's how it started. I also liked this whole Santa story. Although it was very obvious for me who was the killer!

My favorite Hodgins scene in it:

Angela: It's gonna be the first X-mas we'll spend together as a family.
Hodgins: Too bad someone killed Santa!

I don't know but did I ever mention that I loved TJ's hair in S3?!? :smile:

So that's it! :twocents-mytwocents: :romance-heartsmiley:
word count: 195
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.