Transcription complete: 2x04 The Blonde in the Game

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Transcription complete: 2x04 The Blonde in the Game

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

See? It's not an easy choice -- he's good in all of them! And each of those episodes has something interesting going on.

I have to wait a little while, though, because Tracie said she'd put my name on the list if Girl with the Curl opens back up to transcribers. Isn't that kind of her?

But if I don't end up getting to do that episode... hmm... still unsure. All three of the ones I mentioned have their own special bits. I guess I'd be pleased for the opportunity to take a crack at any one of them.
word count: 104

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sinkwriter72 wrote: And of course, there's Glowing Bones in the Old Stone House, which you should all recognize if you're a Hodgins and Angela fan. ;)
I would do that one! So romantic! :)
word count: 34
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

You guys crack me up. Everyone's got a different choice. I don't think Tracie will let me do all of them. :D

Not unless no one else wants to, of course! ;)

(But then, I'd need to find some quality time to actually do all of it, LOL.)
word count: 49

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

The most important thing is you have fun doing it! :)
word count: 10
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:You guys crack me up. Everyone's got a different choice. I don't think Tracie will let me do all of them. :D

Not unless no one else wants to, of course! ;)

(But then, I'd need to find some quality time to actually do all of it, LOL.)
You know I've actually considered applying to do one myself, but keep managing to talk myself out of it lol. Mostly cause I don't think I'd do a very good job, or I'd end up trying so hard that I'd put way to much detail into to lol. How did you find doing them? were there times when you thought you'd added too much or too little?
word count: 124
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

willowwood wrote:You know I've actually considered applying to do one myself, but keep managing to talk myself out of it lol. Mostly cause I don't think I'd do a very good job, or I'd end up trying so hard that I'd put way to much detail into to lol. How did you find doing them? were there times when you thought you'd added too much or too little?
I liked it. But then, I'm all about the details ;) so I enjoyed taking the time to scrutinize each actor and their choices in the scenes, little things like facial expressions, body movement, whether they touched another actor or squeezed a hand or poked 'em in the shoulder for emphasis. All those things really add something extra (to me), and say something that maybe the dialogue alone might not cover. And then there's the whole way they say it. Someone might say, "Good morning," but if there's a snide tone to it, that's completely different than someone who says it in a sunny way, you know? If the reader hasn't had the pleasure of seeing the episode, they'll need a little something to understand what's going on and what kind of tone or mood or attitude is being expressed.

Just my opinion, of course. Everyone has their own ways of approaching this kind of project.

I've only done two, and I'm too close to it so the others here who have been so kind as to read what I've written will have to tell you if there was too much or too little in my transcriptions (I'm sure if it fell in one area or the other, it was likely in the 'too much' camp). There are definitely times when I worry I'm not leaving enough of the dialogue open for interpretation, like I'm putting too much detail in. But honestly, I'd rather have too much (and be able to edit it afterwards, scale back) than too little (which doesn't illuminate where it could or should). You can always write it out, and then go back and look it over and decide where things should be added or cut.

I've read your MySpace page when I added you -- you're a writer! And a student of film -- congrats on the recent graduation, by the way. Wonderful accomplishment! Whoo! :D

So my point is ... why wouldn't you be good at it? You're a reader and writer, you obviously have an interest in the subject material, you know the characters well; why not give it a go?

Granted, it's time-consuming (especially if you do it the way I do it, LOL). Not everyone wants to commit to that level of focus and attention. Not everyone has the time or interest. So if you don't want to, it's no big deal. But if you're curious, what's the harm in trying one? You don't ever have to do it again, if you hate it. And if you start and think it's too much, you just have to let Tracie know so she can find someone else to take it over. But you never know... you might find it fun.

And personally, I like looking at it so closely, because if it's an episode that I think is really good, I think I can learn something from that, whether from the overall script structure, or character development, or the way an actor expresses him or herself that might teach me something about writing characters. I want to improve and expand the way I write, so I figure it can't hurt to 'study' something I think is done well.
:D
word count: 635

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Great news! The Girl with the Curl went back up on the block of episodes available for transcription, and Tracie kindly put my name down as the new transcriber! I get to take a crack at it, after all! Whoo! :D

Will, did you make any decisions about trying one of your own? Other people have snatched up Lye and Glowing Bones, but I believe Boy in the Shroud is still available, as are some other episodes from all three seasons. Check out Tracie's latest 206_bones post about transcribers, if you still want to.
word count: 95
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:
Great news! The Girl with the Curl went back up on the block of episodes available for transcription, and Tracie kindly put my name down as the new transcriber! I get to take a crack at it, after all! Whoo! :D
SCORE!

I can't wait to read it Sherry, because I know that you'll do it justice...
word count: 60
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Isn't it fabulous? I am jumping up & down with delight and anticipation, but you can't see me because...because...um, well, this is a computer screen and I am hundreds of miles away...:(
Take my word for it (we need to get some delighted emoticons, I wonder whether we could import some??)! I am!
word count: 56
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Aw, man... Steph and Rebecca, you guys are the sweetest, most encouraging friends and mods! THANK YOU for that huge vote of confidence! I hope once this project is complete I do you all proud. :D

::sending big hugs::

P.S. Steph, you can stop jumping up and down now. My monitor's starting to shake! ;)
word count: 55

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Will, did you make any decisions about trying one of your own? Other people have snatched up Lye and Glowing Bones, but I believe Boy in the Shroud is still available, as are some other episodes from all three seasons. Check out Tracie's latest 206_bones post about transcribers, if you still want to.
No Sherry :( silly old me chickened out at the last hurdle, and in all honesty with starting a new job and trying to sort other stuff out right now I just don't think I'd have the time anyway, but thanks a lot for your encouraging words....especially from that previous post (where ever the hell it may be now), I really appreciate it. Maybe when I’ve finally managed to get in to a rhythm again, and catch up at all the places I really need to catch up at, then when the next batch come up for grabs I'll be able to see what's available and snag one to try out *shrugs* who knows, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Nevertheless I’m so psyched that you managed to grab The Girl with the Curl...I know you'll do us proud :D.
word count: 207
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)