The Bones Q & A

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

The Bones Q & A

Post by ThyneAlone »

As promised, a Bones question and answer thread where you can put to other members those little points that really annoy the heck out of you. So how many times does that elastic band appear through seasons 1 and 2? Who's written the most episodes? And anything else you are burning to know about the series in general.
But a couple of caveats
  • keep it general. 'Bones' is just one facet of TJ's work and here we are TJ-centred, so if you want to talk in detail about another member of the cast, head off to a Bones board.
  • keep it concrete. A Q&A isn't for requesting opinions. It's for finding out about things from other fans. If your question starts 'does anyone know..' it's probably ok here; if it starts 'does anyone think..' it probably needs a little thread of its own.
OK that's my boring bit over. Have fun!
Steph x[/color]
word count: 162
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: The Bones Q & A

Post by skftex »

Ok...I'm the one that asked for this thread and then didn't use it. I was wondering about something but its not Hodgins related. In one of the shows they talk about Bones being in the foster system and made it sound like she stayed there. When her father shows up something is mentioned about grandparents but they make it sound like she didn't know them. But I though I remember from an earlier episode (early season 1?) that Bones says she was a foster child until her grandmother rescued her. I can't find the episode though so was wondering if maybe it just didn't happen. Anybody know? :?: :?:

Sharon
word count: 114
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

General questions are perfectly ok, don't worry. This is an anomaly/blooper, call it what you will, that has been annoying viewers for ages and no-one has ever provided a satisfactory explanation. It's in 'A Boy In A Bush' (1.05 I think) that Brennan says "I was in the foster system until my grandfather got me out." This stirs a couple of altogether separate questions in my mind - if the grandfather was there to get her out, apparently later on, when she had already had experience of the lifestyle (Boy In A Bush) and various shuntings around (The Boy In The Shroud), then why wasn't he there to take on both kids earlier on?? And was he in hiding too, with a new name? I'd have thought the Keenans' parents were in just as much danger as their kids.

This aside, you are right, can't remember exactly where, but Brennan does say to her dad on one occasion late in S2 (probably the one where he's giving her the keepsakes) "You told me I didn't have any grandparents" or something to that effect. Maybe the guy was just pretending to be her grandparent? Did she know that? Basically it's a writer slip-up for which there is little in the way of believable explanation, and it's definitely a worse one than Angela's complete ignoring of the marriage mentioned in S1. If anyone can think of a good way round this, by all means come in...you've a better mind than mine!
word count: 264
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Thanks! I was wrong because I was thinking grandmother and it was grandfather but I thought I had heard it somewhere! I know writing continuity errors happen all the time-which apparently this is one but then when I heard Brennan say that to her father it just made me think I didn't remember correctly. Then I couldn't find the episode she said it in. Thanks for the answer. :D
word count: 71
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

I think it is "stargazer in a puddle" the episode where Brennan tells Max "You told me I didn't have any grandparents". When he tries to give her the ring that belonged to her mother's family. And talking about goofs yesterday I was watching "the woman in the car" (1x11) and Booth asked Brennan if it was her first tv interview... and on the preview episode while they where on LA she had an in interview with a producer and a TV program...and Booth knew about it...haha
word count: 91
~ s o f i

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Does anyone know what happened to Wong Foo's after the first season of Bones? Was the set too expensive? Otherwise, I'm clueless as to why they'd completely switch settings without ever mentioning it, especially when it was such a main staple in all their lives (and Booth's favorite hangout). Whenever I watch a season 1 episode, I miss Wong Foo's and Sid. :)
word count: 67

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sherry I've been wondering that as well because I saw Boy in a Tree the other day. As an aside, what exactly is in 7 organ soup??? Or do I even want to know? :? :? :shock:

I don't know the answer but for some reason they switched from Wong Foo's to the little diner thing? Maybe they just liked the shot of Booth and Brennan out the window.

Sharon
word count: 70

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:Sherry I've been wondering that as well because I saw Boy in a Tree the other day. As an aside, what exactly is in 7 organ soup??? Or do I even want to know? :? :? :shock:

I don't know the answer but for some reason they switched from Wong Foo's to the little diner thing? Maybe they just liked the shot of Booth and Brennan out the window.
I like some of the scenes they've had in the diner too (especially the ones with Stephen Fry)... I just wondered why they wouldn't try to switch things up a bit, some days at Wong Foo's (especially considering what a main staple setting it was in season one), other days at the diner.

To me, Wong Foo's became almost like Central Perk was for Friends, or the diner (Monk's?) was for Seinfeld. It was the place for the cast of characters to congregate when they weren't at the lab. It became a character of its own, in a way. Why ditch it entirely? If Heavy D wasn't available to be Sid, they could still have the restaurant setting (owners aren't always on site every day). Or ... if they couldn't continue to use that set or wanted to try something new, I wish they'd at least stuck an explanation line of dialogue in one of the scripts somewhere. Like maybe Wong Foo's had a fire from electrical problems or something. I just can't imagine Booth would ditch his friend's place like that. Sid even brought Parker to him when he was in quarantine. (Can you tell I miss Wong Foo's? *GRIN*)

By the way, I don't know what 7 organ soup is, nor could I find a listing of it online, but I did find a listing of a "pig's organ soup." Might not be seven organs, but probably just as ... er... unique. :D Here's what the site listed online:

"The soup itself usually contains a mix of pig intestines, stomach, blood cubes, pork slices, strips of salted vegetables and some Chinese lettuce. Side dishes include braised tofu puffs and salted vegetables. The meal is usually served with freshly sliced red chili in dark soy sauce." Mmm... tasty! ;) Heh.

Okay, here's another question that just occurred to me as I was watching "The Woman at the Airport" this afternoon. In that episode, Hodgins pushes the envelope quite a bit, fighting with Goodman about the authentication of a potential Iron Age skeleton. He pushes so hard that I almost expected the two men to get into a fist fight, especially in one particular scene. I wonder... would Hodgins be so bold with his words if he weren't technically everyone's boss? I mean, I think he's generally a bold kind of guy anyway, especially when verbalizing conspiracy theories and unique historical data. He's not afraid to state his opinions or feelings. But I wonder if he'd be more inclined to hold his tongue if he weren't the head of the Cantilever group (especially if he wants to keep his job as a lab guy -- we know how much it means to him to do that work).

And while I'm thinking about it, another thing that just occurred to me: why would Hodgins' job have been in Cam's hands in "Man in the Mansion"? Yes, he did something that could have jeopardized a case, so it's understandable when he offers his own resignation (honorably so, in my opinion). But, technically, would Cam have been able to fire him, if he's actually everyone's boss? She can't override him, can she? Hmm. Curious.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
word count: 632

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Wong Foo's after the first season of Bones? Was the set too expensive? Otherwise, I'm clueless as to why they'd completely switch settings without ever mentioning it, especially when it was such a main staple in all their lives (and Booth's favorite hangout). Whenever I watch a season 1 episode, I miss Wong Foo's and Sid. :)
Talking about ever mentioning it, from S1 to S2 they vanished several things, wong foo's and sid, Goodman and Cullen..!! But about what happened to Wong Foo's and Sid I think I have kind of an answer. If you watch "Stargazer in a Puddle" commented from de S2 DVD in a moment Hart says:

"In season 1 we had a place called Wong Foo's, which was actually a borrowed set and our production designer did a great job in making it look good. But it didn't quite give us what we wanted which was a view of the outside and so we we're really delighted to get the diner on season 2."

so, it's all about the view! Still, I want Sid back too. Though the scenes in the new diner are amazing.
word count: 208
~ s o f i

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

sinkwriter72 wrote:And while I'm thinking about it, another thing that just occurred to me: why would Hodgins' job have been in Cam's hands in "Man in the Mansion"? Yes, he did something that could have jeopardized a case, so it's understandable when he offers his own resignation (honorably so, in my opinion). But, technically, would Cam have been able to fire him, if he's actually everyone's boss? She can't override him, can she? Hmm. Curious.
Hey Sherry, remember in the first season when Hodgins says that he doesn't want to be anyone's boss? I would assume that he would never play that card, which is perhaps why he tendered his resignation instead. If he hadn't, and Cam had tried to fire him, perhaps she'd find she couldn't, and that would be too distasteful to him. Or perhaps, even though he technically owns the biggest share of the Jeffersonian, he could be fired by whatever upper echelon administrators actually run the place--obviously, owning it or not, Hodgins doesn't run it. In the end, I suppose we can chalk it up to dramatic effect by the writers.
word count: 199
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

begolden wrote:Hey Sherry, remember in the first season when Hodgins says that he doesn't want to be anyone's boss? I would assume that he would never play that card, which is perhaps why he tendered his resignation instead. If he hadn't, and Cam had tried to fire him, perhaps she'd find she couldn't, and that would be too distasteful to him. Or perhaps, even though he technically owns the biggest share of the Jeffersonian, he could be fired by whatever upper echelon administrators actually run the place--obviously, owning it or not, Hodgins doesn't run it. In the end, I suppose we can chalk it up to dramatic effect by the writers.
Yep, I do remember that assertion from Hodgins. It's a moment that stands out, for sure. Especially because he was so forceful about expressing that to Angela; she was stunned at his reaction to her teasing comment.

It was just something that occurred to me as I watched that particular episode, realizing the loophole that would have allowed him to stay, even if Cam had kept his resignation. Regardless, you make great points, and of course, it was much more dramatic, done the way it was, in Man in the Mansion. I was certainly stressed out for him. :D

And thanks for the production designer set explanation, Sofi! Makes sense, that 'better view' through the window.
word count: 235

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara »

I've been thinking, actually, about the Cantilever Group being the single largest donor to the Jeffersonian? I've been thinking that is because Hodgins is the one doing the donating. Because if he wanted to retain his anonymity, he wouldn't have taken the job at the Jeffersonian if the Cantilever Group had had such a stake in it, for fear of it looking like he bought his job.

But I can see him using his board votes inherited from his parents to pressure the board to donate money to the institution, after he got the job, to ensure it had all the funding it needs because he can see first hand what that money can do. And having grown up in that bizarre world where, if you need or want something, you can buy it--for yourself or anyone else--without a second thought, I'm sure it never occurred to him how else to do it. And the cocktail party threatened something real to him--his sense of self outside of his family's name.

And I find it very interesting that it was Hodgins himself who insisted the Cantilever group not ransom him without Proof of Life. He's probably spent his whole life having to deal with the threat of kidnapping, once he became sole heir. Sort of the anti-Paris Hilton, living in the periphery away from the tabloids, and potential threats. But the Gravedigger probably didn't know who Hodgins was before she or he hit him with her or his car.
word count: 259
In a world full of Uma Thurmans, everyone has an inner Janine Garafolo who needs to be taken out dancing every once in a while.

JTan
Fan

Post by JTan »

Sorry, this isn't really related to the previous posts but I wasn't sure where to ask. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a website or something where I can catch up on the newer Bones episodes. I've missed the past few weeks and will be missing next week because of exams. I appreciate your help.

Jenessa
word count: 61

ForensicMama
Fan

Post by ForensicMama »

Hulu is good. www.hulu.com :)

~Mama

PS... tell me if those are the episodes you need, if you need any others, I'm sure I've got a link somewhere. Just let me know. :)
word count: 35
Blogger, Temptress, & Miss America All In One Compact Little Package
http://bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

JTan
Fan

Post by JTan »

Thanks Mama for your reply, I really appreciate it. I just tried Hulu and it said that it was only available to the US. =S Do you have any other sites?

Thanks again,
Jenessa
word count: 34

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Run a google search and play around with the keywords some, you should be able to find something.

I don't want to go into specifics cause I don't want to get in trouble with anyone, but you can find anything on the internet if you play with keyword searches enough. :)
word count: 52

Nelbel
Fan

Post by Nelbel »

Ah, I have one I think. I don't really understand the directions but let me give it a shot.

Did anyone else see the typo in the episode 'Man with the Bone'?
When Hodgins and Zach are reading about the curse of the treasure? If you pause it and read it there are a couple typos. The one I remember was the word 'they' being where the word 'the' should have been. It's small error but still fun. :D
word count: 80

livydean
Fan

Hodgins Quote Question

Post by livydean »

Does anyone here know what episode it was where Hodgins expressed his view on religon...I know he is not a big believer though. Was it one of X-mas episodes?
word count: 31

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Re: Hodgins Quote Question

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I believe you're thinking of this quote from the first season Christmas ep, "The Man in the Fallout Shelter."

Hodgins: Although I believe organized religion is just another political movement designed to control the masses, it doesn’t mean God doesn’t love me.
word count: 45
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

livydean
Fan

Re: Hodgins Quote Question

Post by livydean »

Thank you so much...that is the one!!!
word count: 8