Things that annoy or intrigue Bones fans

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

ThyneAlone wrote:
KimberHodgela wrote:Oh no! They better not have done anything with TJ!! I'm with Wil, I was really hoping for individual pictures (or group shots - or duo shots!) on the discs themselves. I'm just happy they're not those silly double-sided discs like the S1 set!
That's weird, mine aren't double sided (??) Any other differences I wonder?
Really? Yours for S1 are individiual discs? Lucky bum! Yeah, my S1 set contains 4 double sided discs ... the only "flashy" thing about them is that they have coloured rings around the centre. Ooh. What do yours look like? Pictures? How many?
willowwood wrote:
ThyneAlone wrote:Perfect statement, cannot improve it, couldn't agree more. Or all of them, but without BB to the fore. I always regarded it as a team show to start with. The actors are all so talented.
Yeah I too have always seen it more as a group show rather than having one or two (considering Booth is always at the forefront of everything) main characters, and presume that this is why the writers decided to call it Bones rather than it's original working title Brennan. I have to admit that I can get a little testy when DB is represented as being one of the main characters more than Emily is (even if he is slightly more well known), and even more so when people completely disregard the "squints", especially as I love them the most.
Yes, I agree with you, that the Squints are my favourite characters. I LOVE Emily Deschanel, but Brennan is most definitely not my fave character. Jack, Angela, Zack, and even sometimes Cam are! :)
word count: 280

willowwood
Fan

Re:

Post by willowwood »

ThyneAlone wrote:I don't think that bikini shot looks anything like Michaela's body btw. Definitely something weird about it.
Sorry for going back to the earlier issues of this thread (hey I've been away for a while lol), and I know I've already commented on them before, but you know I actually read in an interview with Michaela (can't remember for the life of me which one it was) a little while back, that it was actually her who posed in the bikini for those shots.

Also I just went and rewacthed the 'Be My Love' scene from 'The Glowing Bones in the Old Stonehouse', after reading your comments and lmao at the hand double...you know I must have watched that scene like a thousand times and never noticed before *heads desk*.....even the obvious changing of wrists for the watch lmao...although hasn't TJ alternated which wrist he wears his watch on before? I'm sure I remember discussing the fact that the elastic band changes wrists a few times before, and he never wears both on the same wrist.....Where's Callieach when you need her? I bet she'd know.

Also considering I'm talking about this scene has anybody else noticed that when TJ is leading Michaela, as she's got her hand over her eyes, that she accidentally elbows him in the face? I love that little blooper, especially the fact that they both laugh and then just perfectly pick up the scene, and carry on as though it's normal. I love how those guys are just awesome that way, really they truly are.
word count: 277
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Re:

Post by begolden »

willowwood wrote: Also considering I'm talking about this scene has anybody else noticed that when TJ is leading Michaela, as she's got her hand over her eyes, that she accidentally elbows him in the face? I love that little blooper, especially the fact that they both laugh and then just perfectly pick up the scene, and carry on as though it's normal. I love how those guys are just awesome that way, really they truly are.
I'm happy to go back to this thread, and remember this wonderful scene. Now that you mention it, you're right, she does elbow him in the face! It's just that as you said, it was done so naturally and TJ and Michaela incorporated it so beautifully into the action that one hardly notices anything except the overall cuteness of the scene.
word count: 143
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

willowwood wrote:Also considering I'm talking about this scene has anybody else noticed that when TJ is leading Michaela, as she's got her hand over her eyes, that she accidentally elbows him in the face? I love that little blooper, especially the fact that they both laugh and then just perfectly pick up the scene, and carry on as though it's normal. I love how those guys are just awesome that way, really they truly are.
*laughs hard* You make me want to pull out my S2 DVDs just to check that out. Thanks for mentioning it.

By the way, as I was writing up the transcription for "The Man with the Bone" recently, I noticed some wackiness in a scene with TJ. It's not something that annoys me, so I don't know if it's necessarily a thing that quite fits the title of this thread; personally, I found it funny.

It's a scene where Booth, Brennan and a medical examiner named Harry are coming up to the platform to give Hodgins a soil sample to examine. As TJ heads over to the trio, he's putting on his latex gloves. But he seems to be having a little bit of trouble getting them on. For some reason, they didn't reshoot the scene; they just kept it in. So you can see this comical moment when TJ kind of gives up trying to pull them on entirely, and instead takes ahold of the container with these floppy-looking half-on/half-off gloves. It's really funny. (And I think the only reason I noticed was because I was paying closer attention in order to write out the transcript.) Check it out sometime. It may give you giggles. :D
word count: 296

Callieach
Fan

Re: Things that annoy Bones fans!

Post by Callieach »

Wuzzat, Will? You need my awesome powers of observation? I'd be glad to help!

The rubberband! My favourite topic that doesn't involve TJ minus clothing!

Consistently, once it's brought up in S1, it stays on his right wrist until the end of the season, whether it matters or not (which makes me want to veer wildly off-topic, but whatever). This puts his watch on his left wrist, though we don't always see it. Then S2 rolls around and he's sometimes wearing the watch on his right hand. So is the rubberband on the left? Honestly, I've looked and can't tell you. Some time around... well after 'Aliens in a Spaceship' is all I can say for sure, the rubberband appears once more, and it stays pretty consistently on his left wrist until the end of the season. I've only noticed the watch so far this season, but I haven't been paying too much attention since a certain actor hacked off his curls and a certain FBI Agent's annoyance rate skyrocketed. (Hey, look, that applies to the forom title: Things that annoy Bones fans! I win. :D)

And if we're having a fangirl over TJ and Micheala, consider this my part: *squee!* *flaily hands*
word count: 214
xox.

"I am not a party trick!"

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:*laughs hard* You make me want to pull out my S2 DVDs just to check that out. Thanks for mentioning it.
You could, or you could just go over to Odd-Enthusiasm.org and check out the video clips (I love that site, and it's definitely a place to check out)....and that scene is really adorable.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:It's a scene where Booth, Brennan and a medical examiner named Harry are coming up to the platform to give Hodgins a soil sample to examine. As TJ heads over to the trio, he's putting on his latex gloves. But he seems to be having a little bit of trouble getting them on. For some reason, they didn't reshoot the scene; they just kept it in. So you can see this comical moment when TJ kind of gives up trying to pull them on entirely, and instead takes ahold of the container with these floppy-looking half-on/half-off gloves. It's really funny. (And I think the only reason I noticed was because I was paying closer attention in order to write out the transcript.) Check it out sometime. It may give you giggles. :D
You know I actually spotted that the other day! I really do love scenes like that, they add an extra something to the characters whether they're intentional or not.
Callieach wrote:The rubberband! My favourite topic that doesn't involve TJ minus clothing!

Consistently, once it's brought up in S1, it stays on his right wrist until the end of the season, whether it matters or not (which makes me want to veer wildly off-topic, but whatever). This puts his watch on his left wrist, though we don't always see it. Then S2 rolls around and he's sometimes wearing the watch on his right hand. So is the rubberband on the left? Honestly, I've looked and can't tell you. Some time around... well after 'Aliens in a Spaceship' is all I can say for sure, the rubberband appears once more, and it stays pretty consistently on his left wrist until the end of the season. I've only noticed the watch so far this season, but I haven't been paying too much attention since a certain actor hacked off his curls and a certain FBI Agent's annoyance rate skyrocketed. (Hey, look, that applies to the forom title: Things that annoy Bones fans! I win. :D)

And if we're having a fangirl over TJ and Micheala, consider this my part: *squee!* *flaily hands*
Well naturally I knew you'd know the answer if the rubberband was involved rotflmao...and I knew I wasn't imagining it when I thought that the watch often changed wrists sometimes *wipes brow* :D
word count: 467
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

willowwood wrote:Sorry for going back to the earlier issues of this thread (hey I've been away for a while lol), and I know I've already commented on them before, but you know I actually read in an interview with Michaela (can't remember for the life of me which one it was) a little while back, that it was actually her who posed in the bikini for those shots.
Funny you should mention that. I've seen a couple of interviews where she has mentioned this. I can't remember the most recent and obvious one, but there is a reference in this article about 'The Mummy In The Maze'.
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/zap-story-bone ... 3909.story
She does say "I think I wore a bikini in S1 for a still photograph and [Hart Hanson] said 'we won't make you do it again' ".
I still think this is weird because that picture looks wrong, it does.

By the way I spotted that hilarious bit with the gloves and mentioned it eons ago on tv.com when our little group was reviewing 'Man With The Bone'. If you ever want a bit of interesting reading , our jack and angela thread at
http://www.tv.com/bones/show/33332/jack ... tml?page=0 is worth a delve. The weekly reviews of S1 eps start around mid-thread, page 22ish I think - honestly worth a read, though of daunting length!
word count: 244
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

JennyLea
Fan

Anyone notice anything about episodes that just bother them

Post by JennyLea »

Hi all!

Last night "The Glowing bones in the Old Stone House" showed on Showcase. I had a problem with this episode. The acting was wonderful as usual and I didn't have a problem with the case... for the most part.

The glowing bones bothered me. The explanation just didn't fit. They attributed it to the bacteria Ph. Phosphoreum from the vibrio family. We use the bacteria vibrio fischeri in our lab to test toxicity. These bacteria are very sensitive marine bacteria. There are many bacteria in this family but the Ph phosphoreum and the vibrio fischeri are the biolumenescent bacteria. There are pathogenic strains of this bacteria like vibrio cholerae which causes cholera, but Ph. phosphoreum and vibrio fischeri are not generally pathogenic. They live symbiotically with organisms like squid and shrimp. The pathogenic strains tend not to be biolumenescent. So with this information I found it very hard to believe that adequate bacteria entered the blood stream to cause Carley to "glow". We use vials with millions of bacteria in the for our testing and the glow is not visible to the naked eye at that level.

The other thing that bothered me was that she had been dead for two days and the bones were still glowing. The biolumenescent bacteria tend to die off after six hours. The "glowing" is produced as a result of their metabolism so dead bacteria do not glow. These bacteria also need salt water (minimum 2% saline) and a relatively narrow pH range (pH 5.5-pH 8.5) to thrive. I found it very difficult to believe that these bacteria would still be alive and in healthy enough condition to glow after 48 hours.

Decomposing bodies would produce many changes that would be toxic to these bacteria. We kill these bacteria and use the reduction of light output to test the toxicity so that the soil, surface water, and ground water are not toxic to other bacteria and organisms.

Does anyone else have anything that bothers them about the validity of any of the episodes?
word count: 346

delphiekat
Super Fan

Post by delphiekat »

willowwood wrote:It's a scene where Booth, Brennan and a medical examiner named Harry are coming up to the platform to give Hodgins a soil sample to examine. As TJ heads over to the trio, he's putting on his latex gloves. But he seems to be having a little bit of trouble getting them on. For some reason, they didn't reshoot the scene; they just kept it in. So you can see this comical moment when TJ kind of gives up trying to pull them on entirely, and instead takes ahold of the container with these floppy-looking half-on/half-off gloves. It's really funny. (And I think the only reason I noticed was because I was paying closer attention in order to write out the transcript.) Check it out sometime. It may give you giggles. :D
Okay, going way back, but I couldn't resist... :lol:

I work in a lab and I wear gloves all day long... I may put on at least 20 different pairs of gloves in a day... Believe me, they don't always co-operate!!! :doh: I think it just adds a bit of reality, because I've stop counting how many times I grabbed things this way!
word count: 206

boo
Fan

Re: Anyone notice anything about episodes that just bother them

Post by boo »

That's interesting, Jenny. Thanks for sharing that. I remember wondering about the science of that scene, but not being a scientist, not knowing if they were being accurate or not. I didn't think so. It just seems like something that is too cool and we would have heard of before. :lol: Anyway, it's cool that you actually know about that stuff. 8) And to answer your question, yes, there are lots of things that annoy/bother me, but I don't have any examples fresh in my mind (which is how they have to be for me to remember, these days.) :lol:
word count: 102
I demand another beetle. Jeff has a groin pull.

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

Oh there is plenty I could say here...
But I cant remember all of the things at the moment.

One that annoyed me, until i found out (via twitter) what the heck was happening, was in Dwarf in the dirt.

Cam is talking to Vincent in the bone room and these random people keep walking into the scene to get her to sign stuff. Over and over, I couldnt work out what the heck was happening - not normal for extras to be so in camera.

Then just this week, find out its their simpsons shout out ep and they are all the simpsons writers.

so I can't be so annoyed at this anymore.

- Llama
word count: 115

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

To be honest, the thing that annoys me the most, isn't a thing.
It's a character.
And that character is.... Daisy.
Now, I don't want to offend any Daisy fans out there.
But at first, she was the annoying intern we all needed.
And then, Lance gets her to do calming exercises of some sort, and then she tries to be Brennan.
It's, well, annoying.
Then there's Mr. Nigel Murray. I've voiced my opinion on this subject already, in my review of a Bones Epi.
I just don't like the fact that he's consumed with trying to impress Temperance. I understand that if they hope to get the job, Brennan has to like them, But she seems to like Clark and he doesn't beg for her approval like a dog for bacon. (Sorry, that's a bit rude :? )

I guess I'm also a little annoyed with the Angela Hodgins situation at present. And her apparent disregard for him. Yes- she's allowed her own feelings, but you can tell she's still in love with him, and I think she's ignorant if she thinks she could get a better person than Jack.

I think I'm done ranting now :)
word count: 210
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

kayleigh_marie wrote:To be honest, the thing that annoys me the most, isn't a thing.
It's a character.
And that character is.... Daisy.
LOL...I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!
word count: 38

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

The hiatus, naturally.

Also, I find the lack of Hodgins/Angela tension in "Woman in the Sand," S2E6, a bit odd. They just had their great date (followed by Ange saying that they had to just stay friends) in the previous ep, "Girl with the Curl," S2E7, but there's not even a hint of weirdness between them in this episode. However, there's a LOT of tension at the beginning of the next episode ("Aliens in a Spaceship," S2E9). Just a minor continuity glitch, but still weird.
word count: 88
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

jade.. the same thing happens between 402/403/404..

they break up end of 402..
then 403 there is no tension, no discussion or even little mention of the break up...
then 404 is hodgins' 'i hate everyone' episode.. tension to the max and lots of anger...

that always gets me yelling at the tv.

Llama
word count: 56

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Totally. I know things are often shot out of order and possibly not even aired in the 'right', or original, order, but still: Grrrrrr.
word count: 24
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

@llama

I noticed that as well. In the original plan, "Man in the Outhouse" was supposed to air before the "Yanks" breakup, which I'm assuming is why there's no tension. My guess is that it had already been filmed when the writer's strike, & the subsequent decision to turn "Yanks" into the next season's opener, caused a lot of rearranging. I solve that problem by watching it before "Yanks" per their original intention (when I watch on DVD). Also, it seems to create better continuity with Brennan's character & her openness to Booth's opinions in regards to her love life if you watch that one first. All the rest of the eps that were supposed to appear before "Yanks" DO carry the A/H continuity, so I continue to watch those after it.

However, from the production codes, it looks like "The Woman in the Sand" was always supposed to air between those two eps, so I'm not sure why it lacks A/H continuity.

BTW, I'm quite aware that I'm a bit crazy. :mrgreen:
Last edited by jade.stormcloud on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 181
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

AmyLynn wrote:LOL...I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!
lol yeah. She bugs me. Ha.
word count: 20
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Jade, guess we're all a bit crazy! SO WHAT!!!???!!! :mrgreen: :lol:
word count: 10
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Continuity issue: Brennan argues in "Gamer in the Grease," S5E09, that things like video gaming, chess & billiards should be considered sports because they're "competitive activity governed by a set of rules", & yet she argued in "Superhero in the Alley," S1E12, that things like bowling & golf were not sports, but rather activities, because of the lack of physical benefit.
word count: 59