Bones 8.13 The Twist in the Plot

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Bones 8.13 The Twist in the Plot

Post by stargazer »

This episode had a few good moments, but it definitely wasn’t one of my favorites.

First, I think that they’ve run the story of Sweets staying with Brennan and Booth into the ground, and it’s time to move onto something else. It’s just weird that he’s still sleeping in Parker’s room and hasn’t found a place of his own yet. I know that Parker is living with his mother abroad, but I would think that he would be around more often and Booth would have more involvement in his son’s life. A visitation every couple of months shouldn’t be a problem since Bones definitely isn’t hurting for money for the flights, but I know that Booth is always hesitant to use Brennan’s money. I don’t think Parker has been in an episode since he first met Christine and I hope we get to see him again soon.

Second, it’s creepy and annoying that Daisy was imitating Brennan. She needs to find her own personality instead of taking over someone else’s. Daisy and Brennan could not be more opposite and think it’s incredibly foolish that Daisy thinks that she can be exactly like her mentor. She should be more confident in herself and just be herself, as annoying as it is. LOL!

As far as the Daisy/Sweets relationship goes, I would rather they not go back into that again. I honestly think that they are perfect for each other, but their relationship was too mushy, for lack of a better word. It was rather gross watching them make out all of the time and I definitely don’t miss Daisy calling Sweets “Lancelot”. Gag! One more thing, does anyone know what the 3:20 reference was about in the diner scene where Daisy mentioned that she woke up in the middle of the night. It may not mean anything more than they know each well enough to know when Daisy wakes up, but I wasn’t sure if I had missed something in a previous episode.

It is very Hodgins like to want to be launched into the sun after his death and I love it, but I don’t think it would be feasible since he no longer has his fortune. He does mention to Cam that he’s “got it covered”, but I can’t imagine how. I don’t see how a normal citizen would be able to afford the option of being shot into the sun. However, being an amateur astronomer I’m with Hodgins on this one, I think that would be a very cool option if the funds and means were available. Sadly, I’ll probably end up in the ground on our planet Earth like most people, lol!

I think it’s very sweet that Booth would leave everything to Brennan, but I think it would be smarter for him to leave most or everything to Christine instead. Since they are not married he should leave Brennan as executor (correct word?) until Christine is of age. You never know if that relationship will last, and the way things are now, unfortunately even marriage doesn’t guarantee that a couple will stay together forever.

I thought it was interesting that bath salts were involved in the murder. I kept expecting there to be a reference to someone eating someone else’s face, but I guess that was covered with the Gormogon storyline back in Season 3. LOL!

Vultures and hammers, ewww!!!! I can’t imagine Booth going to a ceremony where Brennan’s body is “broken”, pulverized and eaten by vultures. Wow. I’m definitely with Booth on this one, LOL! Brennan’s ashes being sprinkled into a volcano is a much more feasible option and I would think it would be easier for Booth to deal with. Good call on Brennan’s part to have the funeral arrangements changed for Booth.

Booth’s video message to Christine was very touching and I have to admit that it brought a tear to my eye, but I’m wondering why Parker wasn’t included in it. I guess he could’ve made a separate tape for Parker, but as a parent I would’ve wanted to address both of my kids at the same time and not make it seem like one child is more important than the other. Maybe the writers didn’t think there would be time to include Parker in Booth’s “last words”, but it’s disappointing that they didn’t.
word count: 765
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Bones 8:13 The Twist in the Plot

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I also wonder why he wouldn't want to leave everything he has to his children, plural. Not just Christine, not just Bones. What about Parker? It's frustrating to me that the writers don't seem to remember that he's got a son. That baffles me.

But then I'm of the mind that the showrunners have lost touch with their own show and are now focusing way too hard on the Booth-Brennan romance rather than what used to make the entire show tick. Regrettably, their approach these days doesn't resonate with me nearly as much as it used to, back when the team felt more like a completely cohesive unit and Brennan was still Brennan in behavior.
word count: 122

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Good point! I completely agree. It's almost like Parker doesn't exist anymore except when it's convenient or he pertains to a case somehow. I did mean to include Parker in my in the paragraph concerning the will, didn't mean to leave him out :)
word count: 47
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I think you made a great point about Booth not including Parker in the video. I mean, on the one hand I understand that he was addressing the child that he had with Brennan, but on the other hand it just seems weird for him to not include his son in something so emotional. I think the writers separate things way too much. As if everything is in different compartments -- there's Booth, Brennan and Christine, then there's Booth and Parker, then there's the Jeffersonian team on its own with the occasional Brennan element, and it just feels so divided to me these days. That's why I struggle to love the show as much as I used to. I felt such great affection for all these characters when things were better connected. Now it feels like everyone's metaphorically (and literally!) working in different rooms and aren't really connected to one another. Not like they used to be.

Of course, I'll never lose my affection for Hodgins, though. He's my favorite and always will be. :D
word count: 181
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

I have to say that I liked this episode hahaha ^_^

I really liked that everyone was talking about their wishes for when they die. I used to work for years in the Père Lachaise cemetary and so I use to think it's important to inform your family about it. So I found all of the ideas were interesting and pretty adapted to all of them ^_^

I knew this ceremony with the vultures exists because of my past work, I've been very interested in all the ceremonies worldwide (I know, weird, but it's really fascinating). But I understand Booth's reaction to it, it's not something you can easily approve when it's not your believes.
So the volcano project is of course easier to accept ^_^

I think Hodgins has no real money problem... Really, we all know his fortune comes from various companies and so, even if Pelant managed to stole his money, it's back. So, yeah for the ashes in the sun!!! Woohoo!!! That's a great idea :D

The case itself was fun. So I would say, yes, I liked this episode ;)

:banana-dance:
word count: 191
The waffle conspiracy...

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 8.13 The Twist in the Plot

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey Véro, I never knew you'd been involved with Père Lachaise, that's really interesting! And it is certainly not odd to have an interest in what different cultures do with their dead and why. I find it fascinating. Giving yourself up to be recycled back in the earth or being sent back to the sun as the source of all life - both feel right to me ("The circle of life," muses Hodgins,"nothing is more beautiful." Which is a great statement of his character I think). The volcano thing - also nice - giving yourself to the air - but, as with the sun, the logistics could be difficult.

I'm surprised we haven't had a discussion about preparation for death previously, given to what extent these people are surrounded by it daily. A timely reminder also about making a will - though not many of us will have a 312-page list to think about. I was moved by Booth's video as well, but, like everyone else, I would have been a lot more convinced by a reference to Parker. I know that most family members don't become recurring characters and may never be touched on after a couple of appearances, but Parker, well, that's a big gap. I don't understand how he could get a cursory mention at the start of the ep because of his Wolverine bedding and then not merit anything in the will or the vid? How old would he be now, anyone know?

Sweets and Daisy, oh for goodness' sake get them back together if that's what all this angst is leading up to. This soulful saucer-eyed mooning meaningfully at one another is even worse than sex in the office. And is it just me or are conversations in the diner never natural? The Hodgins/Angela breakup was a masterly example of 2 people somehow outside of reality, and this Daisy/Sweets tete-a-tete was frankly painful to listen to, it broke so many rules of normal discussion! I was glad Daisy stopped trying to be Brennan eventually, though. As Kathy says, it was creepy!

The case was fairly routine. I caught on early to who the perpetrator had to be and why. I was increasingly unimpressed by him. First of all, to push his wife early into death while knocking off her doula, and then to kill his ex-lover with his wife's grave marker and desecrate his wife's grave in order to bury her? What a lovely man. Rachel sounded beyond selfish, too. I'm astonished someone hasn't challenged her 3-month rule and/or tried to kill her before! Incidentally, when Angela made up the computer image, how did she know Rachel had red hair? I don't recall seeing any on the skull. Could be wrong though, I was doing the ironing at the time.
word count: 486
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro