Bones 8.17 The Fact in the Fiction

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Bones 8.17 The Fact in the Fiction

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Sorry about that 1st post is someone saw it. Technical difficulties.

Anyway, very good episode tonight!

First, I had seen an article about the new squintern coming and remember discussing somewhere about how much he looked like TJ and the possibility of him being his brother. I'm pretty convinced that's what's going on here, as I'm sure most people are. And if it is, it's ABOUT TIME we're getting something more for TJ. :D

I mean they said "brother from another mother" twice. I don't think Bones is the most subtle show out there so that's definitely means something. They do look alike too, same coloring at least. The instant camaraderie and same super-smart-nerdy-scientist excitement they share was pretty telling too. I do think that's a refreshing to see that they had them hit it off right away instead of hating each other (which is what I expected).

Angela clearly isn't impressed though! "I can, but you can't." :eusa-clap:

Poor Hodgins on Angela lying to him. I kinda hope that comes up again in the future because Beeranbow (I'm not looking that up, sorry) of all things! Really?! I can understand Cam wanting to go back in time for him, but come on Angela--he really messed things up for you a while back. The "tea with Jesus" was pretty funny though.

I thought there were lots of funny moments throughout, and I really enjoyed all the interaction with everyone tonight including New Guy.

Only 2 things that bothered me, but only a little bit...

Why does Brennan continue to be surprised when her personality traits are pointed out to her? "You think I'm narrow minded?"

The case wasn't particularly thrilling for me, mostly because I didn't find the guilty guy all that believable. Maybe his acting, I don't know.

Also, "I just killed a dead guy" might be one of favorite lines from the show.

:)
Last edited by SmackyKennedy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 335
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 8:17 Fact in the Fiction

Post by stargazer »

That was an excellent analysis of the episode Ang, but I think "V" is another show entirely, and not a very good one at that. LOL :wink: :wink:
word count: 26
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Just so my comment doesn't look stupid, Ang originally posted only "v" in the first message of the thread before she edited it. LOL I'll be back to post more and give my opinion after I've watched the episode again. :D
word count: 43
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Nevermind! I changed my mind, I'll post now afterall. :)

So I liked the show for the most part, but I'm still on the fence about the new intern. I know Hodgins immediately bonded with him, but think he's a little cocky about being the smartest person everywhere he goes. Brennan says that she is too, but she says that more as stating a fact than gloating about it. I guess I just need to see more of him to decide if I like him or not.

I think Dr. Wells and Hodgins look somewhat similar, but I hope they don't make him Hodgins' brother. It would add an interesting storyline and I'm sure that's the point, but I just imagined his brother would be more lovable like Hodgins' is now. TJ's line "can we keep him?" did make me giggle though. :)

I felt bad about Angela lying to Hodgins about the time travel question and like Ang said, I hope they go back to that on another episode because Hodgins definitely knew that she was lying. I was hoping they would end the episode with a Hodgins/Angela scene to settle it instead of a B&B scene.

As far as the case goes, I thought it was interesting how the murder of the father and son made it seem that the son's desire to time travel was possible, even though that obviously is not what happened. Another thing, did anyone else notice the victim's brother's accent? It just seemed a little off to me, like he was faking an accent and not doing a very good job at it. LOL
Last edited by stargazer on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 281

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well I knew the brother killed them the minute I saw the guy, and knew that the second victim was the father and wondered why Brennan wouldn't have said so right from the start, that POSSIBLY they are related.

As for the new intern, I'm with Angela, he's a douche. REALLY REALLY hoping that he is not going to be Hodgins brother but he does have the right look and the "mother from another brother" thing made me think the same thing, despite what HH said when specifically asked about that in an interview. Not like HH is going to give something like that away before it is shown.

Things I liked about this episode:

I liked when Brennan told Booth she had everything she wanted at that moment to be so that would be where she goes if she could time travel.

LOVE Hodgins asking if he could keep him when he referred to Dr. Wells (that is the new interns name right?).

Also loved that he'd be king of the beetles just like he is king of the lab. :D

AND when Hodgins and Wells were doing the experiment and wearing that whole cover-all suit as soon as I saw Hodgins I thought "WILLY WONKA in the Wonkavision room!" HAHAHAHA (though on Willy Wonka it was white and these were blue it was soooooooo Willy Wonka like to me...But then I love that movie! HAHA)
word count: 242
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

Case: lame.

New squintern: loved him, I'm still laughing at the "So, don't try to cherry-pick facts to win an argument," comment made to Brennan.

Hodgins: how adorable is Hodgins with his "I would go back to April 19, 2004, the moment I first met you"?
I mean, if he wasn't real someone should invent him... which is precisely what HH did it, because he isn't real ... except that TJ is real and awesome... but I'm digressing...

Something I hated: Angela & Cam Birimbau's reference.
It is possible I didn't get the humor in that specific scene, but... I mean, between all the moments of her life, when she had Michael Vincent, or when she was in Paris, or when she was an artist, or when she met Hodgins or she married him... she choses "have sex with a men whom I married without even remember his name or face?"
Seriously?
And Cam too?
Houston, we have a problem here, because Hodgins and Arastoo aren't probably doing as well as we all thought if they regret Birimbau's (... little flute by the way... if you remember well) performance!
Last edited by omelette73 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 196

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

I completely agree Teresa! Angela could've picked a page 187 moment with Hodgins if it was just about the sex. LOL
word count: 22

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

stargazer wrote:I completely agree Teresa! Angela could've picked a page 187 moment with Hodgins if it was just about the sex. LOL
This is so true!
word count: 28

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I don't even understand why she picked that moment in time, out of everything. I could see her not wanting to go back to the first time she met Hodgins, because maybe back then she didn't really see in him what she sees and loves in him now. So why go back to a time when she wasn't in love with him yet (except to maybe change it, in order to see him in that new and better light, sooner rather than later)?

But mainly I was surprised at her real answer because I expected something completely different. I expected her to want to go back in time to, say, an era when some of her favorite artists were still alive, maybe so she could travel the world and meet those artists who inspired her so much.

But to go back to the guy whose name she barely remembered? What's the point of that, except to foreshadow that there's trouble in paradise and maybe she'll end up straying from Hodgins and breaking his heart?

If that happens, I'll be really ticked off because 1) I loved their beginning courtship, especially their first date on the swings, and the subsequent development of their relationship, and 2) I hate that it seems Hodgins has always been more invested in this relationship than Angela has, yet the writers never allow Hodgins to be the one who is courted for a change, to be the one pursued and loved and appreciated. Hodgins deserves better than that. And I don't find her wanting to go back to another guy in any way funny, cute or charming.
word count: 279
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Forgot to share what TJ told me about this episode. The reason Wells and Hodgins were wearing the suits that covered their heads in this episode is that he cut his hair, and then they wanted to reshoot the scene, so they covered his head so the change in his hair from one scene to another wouldn't be noticed. :icon-biggrin:
word count: 60
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

HAHAHA Thank you Sharon for this very interesting fact about TJ's hair and Hodgins scene ^_^

Well well well... I loved this episode ^_^

I really enjoyed the interraction between Hodgins and the new squintern :D "Can we keep him?" was so great! And "King of the beetles" as well ^_^ I had a lot of fun watching them both :)
Also really liked the excitment for the time travel ;)

About Angela's answer... Well to be honest, her reactions doesn't surprise me anymore. I don't know what theyr are thinking about when they write her lines, but come on... It's really the most ridiculous answer she could give.
Whatever...

The case was a bit too easy to see from the start, no real suspens, so not very interesting.

Véro
word count: 130
The waffle conspiracy...

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 8.17 The Fact in the Fiction

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, even though I remembered that Wells irritated me profoundly throughout and that I was simply outraged about Angela’s time travel comment, I did quite enjoy this on second viewing, mostly because of the snappy, intelligent dialogue. The back and forth between Wells and Brennan, between Wells and Hodgins – a pleasure to listen to. And then it was all about impossibilities, which apparently make Bones’ mind stop working, but always make for a good Hodgins episode. It gave him the chance to make comments on time travel and asteroid mining, and the enthusiasm with which TJ infuses Hodgins on such occasions is adorable (Wells summed the character up totally when he said “mischievous, disruptive and willing to lie for humorous effect”!). And wow, this time Booth is in agreement rather than rubbishing him, and we see them both lining up to disagree with Brennan the ‘angry schoolteacher’! Great initial scene!

Sidebar – I love Hodgins’ hair that length. I am practically in mourning for its loss. Sniff.

I liked that the show contrasted Wells’ arrogance about his intelligence, academic degrees etc., with girlfriend Courtney’s breezy, blowsy vanity. Really, her “Look at me. Would you choose a truck over this?” wasn’t so different from Wells’ “Gotta admit, I’m pretty impressive” or “I’m bored, that’s why I keep accumulating all these degrees”. It was interesting also to see Brennan’s defensive and spiky reaction to Wells’ baiting, as opposed to Hodgins’ total acceptance because of the enthusiasm and intelligence they share. Hodgins actually feels less threatened than Bones, recognising as he does a fellow geek (a “brother from another mother” – OH how I pray this is just a HH tease and not a real family relationship) and someone who will jubilantly perform experiments with him and get covered in gel and other messes in much the same way. Little boys at heart.

Wells seriously needed putting in his place. His fencing with Brennan was becoming tiresome, with even she annoyed at his ‘pretending to know how her mind works’. Even if it is true that she dislikes randomness, it’s really not his place to accuse her of narrow-mindedness, and I had 2 nice warm feelings during the show – one when Angela explained cuttingly that they work as a team, so he should try to be less of a douche, and one when Brennan succumbed to temptation and finally made him feel small at the end by explaining why luck isn’t random! Well, we all have our areas of weakness.

Things I liked
The pre-credits, with the ‘investment banker getting back to nature’ who discovers that nature is a bit redder in tooth and claw than he would have liked. “I just killed a dead guy!”
Wells’ noteworthy entrance in the diner.
Hodgins: “Soooo, not a zombie” and “can we keep him?” (along with everyone else, it seems!)
Brennan: “I’m already there – all I want is here and now”.
The fact that Angela recalls her first meeting with Hodgins by the spider on his shoulder and the rubber band on his wrist – two really vivid symbols of his personal characteristics!

Things I disliked
Cam and Angela wanting to go back to Birimbau – so contrived, and such a betrayal.
The rather perfunctory nature of the case – fairly easy to work out that the victims were related and how they had received their injuries.
Brennan continually harping on about spreading a wider net. Aargh!
word count: 579
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro