Bones 8.19 The Doom in the Gloom

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
omelette73
Super Fan

Bones 8.19 The Doom in the Gloom

Post by omelette73 »

mmmm OK, can I admit that the episode was vaguely boring?
I definitely save the experiment Booth/Hodgins, I so would like to see them interact more often! The scene was pretty funny and Jack couldn't stop giggling!

I laughed at the final scene too at the:
"Nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Sweets." "Your dad is hot,"
"Apparently you're hot... dad"

I admit I'm OK with Sweets, I don't have anything against the character per se, but I guess all this "leaving the nest" thing was a little too much for me too. I mean, I understand that the writers meant to explain that he needed a recovery, a safe environment to stay after his brake up with Daisy (by the way did you notice she seams to be less hysterical than usual?), but I was honestly bored by the end of the hour.
word count: 150

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 8:19 The Doom in the Gloom

Post by skftex »

Well if there hadn't been so much Hodgins I probably would agree with you. He was in so much of it, and Angela made him on the Angelatron! And all the experiments made me laugh. Especially the cannon ball one! And how he did the experiment anyway, even though Angela had figured it all out already! HAHAHA Then after Cam says he doesn't need to shoot the second, Hodgins face as he picks up the next ball and the loader. :D And I loved it when Booth was slimed (I know it was gel but it still was like getting slimed). Cam and Hodgins were great in that one too. I hadn't watched any of the spoilers for this, so wasn't expecting it. :D :D

The Sweets stuff was boring. Daisy didn't bother me as much but I also didn't watch all of the Sweets/Daisy scene, I tried, but I just cannot handle their scenes together. Sometimes their scenes alone annoy me but together it is just too much I guess.

The case was just bleh, though the guy playing the engineer was pretty creepy. He did a great job playing a "whack job", and I liked it when Brennan made the woman's hand spark at the end. That was a bit different.
word count: 218
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

MarinaDuister
Fan

Post by MarinaDuister »

Let me first say that for the first time in a while I didn't feel like I was watching the 'B&B Show' all the time...
Also, the case was a but vaque/odd/weird... I still don't understand how Angela could reconstruct a letter which was burned at approximately 900 Celcius. Ow and I noticed something in the scene where Hodgins and Brennan walk past the platform. Shot 1 you see them from the platform viewed, walking past a woman (sitting on the platform). Shot2 (a few seconds later) you see them from the other side, again walking past the woman on the platform. Just thought it was funny ^_^

HODGINS AND EXPERIMENTS YAAAAAY :D I have to admit, I cheered and laughed SO hard when that goo was splashed on Booths face :') Hallelujah Hodgy!
Ow, and note to Seeley Booth: ONLY HODGINS GETS TO STAB WITH PENS
also funny when Cam&Angela were walking away from the Canon shot, they were all like 'it was cool but DONT TELL HODGINS'
mind I add: I love Michaela's hair + blue dress <3
Lets see.. Oh right, Sweets and Daisy... No comments.

Lets just hope they turn back to 'Bones' instead of more the 'B&B Show' :)
xx
word count: 208
"What about love? What do you have to say about love?" -Angela Montenegro
"It's overrated. Most of the time." -Jack Hodgins

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Well, you ladies pretty much said it all! :) I feel that they could've done better with the story of the case about the Doomsday preppers. For as many Armageddon and survival shows out there, I thought that they could've come up with something a little more interesting than just a booby trap. BUT, I do love the experiment that Hodgins and Booth did to prove it. Not only did we get one Hodgins experiment, but 3!!!! :eusa-dance: I loved them all! :icon-biggrin:

Marina, I thought the same thing about Angela recovering the letter. Since they determined that the fire burned for 1 1/2 hour then you would think that a piece of paper would've been one of the first things to burn. :eusa-think:
word count: 126
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 8.19 The Doom in the Gloom

Post by ThyneAlone »

I rather liked this, actually. Despite the rebarbative effect of Sweets and Daisy together, with their completely unlikely dialogue ("You're wonderful!" yuck), I enjoyed the juxtaposition of a group of people hiding away from the world with an individual finally ready for the rite of passage of going out to face it on his own.

The doom preppers were interesting and well organised, but predictable. Voluntarily trapped together against the impending, inevitable collapse of society (Whoa! Economic catastrophe, climate change, asteroid hit, nuclear or bio war, viral pandemics! It's a horror movie! No wonder Booth wanted a generator by the final frames - I feel a bit nervous about leaving the house myself!), even with a carefully chosen scattering of people who could all contribute to their survival, such a small group was bound to suffer internal conflict. If Deanna had not been the 'aggressive, overbearing and dishonest' target, I'm pretty sure the others would have found someone else to blame for their ills. Literal as well as emotional ills, if syphilis was rife in there! No doubt Sweets would have advised them to take a shrink into their bunker - someone with the skills to work out disagreements.

Obviously the episode was geared to take us through Sweets' journey to rehabilitated adulthood. Bones doesn't do this sort of thing subtly, so the start of the hour was full of references to his pubescent behaviour. It began with a clever cut from fireball girl to an Asian martial arts movie in which the boys were clearly revelling in a very adolescent manner, despite the facts that a) Brennan was trying to lift the tone of the conversation - she did come across as maternal, I thought - and b) Booth had previously referred to Sweets' film preferences as 'childish' (I was actually quite surprised he wasn't playing a video game or something, if the writers really wanted to get the point across!). This was further underlined by Brennan's disdainful comment on the idea of a group of psychologists living under one roof: "they can all pretend to be scientists together" - she made it sound more like a kids' game than real life! We saw how well Sweets relates to the youngest person in the household – Christine really likes him. Then we got the mid-ep discussion he has with Daisy (ooh that girl does annoy me) to show that they have left their break-up behind in a grown-up fashion, and that he too has done the only mature thing possible to ensure his ‘trauma survival’; and finally he is able to spread his wings and leave the nest, though he's slightly undermined by one of his new flatmates imagining Booth and Brennan are his parents.

Now Hodgins is childlike, as opposed to childish, and I was delighted that TJ got so much screen time with his wonderful enthusiasm and experiments. It was also great to see him working hand in hand with his wife. They validate each other all the time (“very cool, Angie!”) and it was wonderful that Angela clearly had so much fun ’building’ a Hodgins on the Angelatron. Even when Angela doesn’t tell Hodgins how great he is, she’s thinking it (“that was actually awesome” “He must never know!”). He had some great lines, too. I do wish I ever got the chance to say to someone “Excuse me for loving my work”….. And as for Booth getting covered in gloop, that was hilarious. How TJ kept a reasonably straight face while DB was threatening him with a pen, I’ll never know.

There were some marvellous touches of humanity in this one, with the team showing a genuine sensitivity towards Deanna’s bereaved colleague. Sweets, in one of his mature moments, pointed out to her that if Deanna had received 8 calls from her, she must have known she was trying to make up; and Angela confirmed this by lovingly putting together the burnt letter and leaving her to read it in peace. No, I don’t know how it somehow survived 900 degrees Celsius either. I’m almost certain it should have been totally destroyed.

Oh yeah, sorry. Certain is an absolute. You can’t be almost certain.
word count: 710
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro