Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Fascinating, Jade. Thanks for the information and the picture! :D

Unfortunately, the picture does not pull me in today, because everything food-related sounds nauseating. I seem to have picked up some sort of cold or something germy. Probably from too many nights spent staying up until 2 or 2:30 AM, working on (and stressing over) homework and projects for class. I feel awful today. Very achy and bleh. In fact, I'm likely to write this message and then go lie down.

What's funny is, I went to lie down just a little while ago, and I put on the TV for noise. I started flipping channels, just to see what was on, and settled on an episode of NCIS. Here's the funny part: what are the odds that I happen to stop on the very episode of NCIS on which TJ Thyne guested? Because that is the episode that came on. I didn't realize it until I heard his voice and opened my eyes to see him on the screen. Hilariously unexpected. Wacky timing, eh? :icon-mrgreen:

Okay, now I'm going to lie down and stay there. Well, at least for a little while. Eventually, I'll have to get up because I have a project due on Monday and I need to work on it. But right now I reeeeeally don't want to. *whines a little bit* Why now? I had plans for this weekend? Plans that did not involve feeling like crap. *grumbles*

How's everyone else doing today? Any fun plans for the weekend?

Vero, do you have interesting new art projects you're working on? Kayleigh, how's the new job going? Wendy, I'm sending you a virtual hug (the beauty of it is that you won't have to worry about catching my cold germs, LOL).
word count: 307

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

I promised to some of you that I'd upload some pictures of Switzerland. I finally got to it. Sorry it took me so long.

I'm not a photographer, so pardon the poor quality of some of the pictures. :eusa-shifty:

Here is the link to my photobucket account: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/JustTaken/

I'd like to see pictures of your places too, only if your up for it, of course. :handgestures-thumbupright:
word count: 73

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

It doesn't matter that you're not a professional photographer -- those pictures were lovely. The kind that made me want to climb right in and visit. Such a beautiful place! (The mountains were especially gorgeous.) Thank you for sharing a little bit of it with us. :D
word count: 47
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Anya, the photos are lovely. Thank you so much for sharing them. It is a really beautiful place, and I love the one of the little town (village?) with all the green and then also the mountains with all the snow! That is so cool! :)
word count: 45
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

I'm glad you guys like the photos. A lot of them were taken during a helicopter flight.

It took me a while to find photos of Switzerland in my folders. I found so many photos from all the places I've visited abroad but finding pictures of my home country wasn't that easy. :)
word count: 55

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi everyone.

I know I've not been around a lot lately and partly that is because of work. However my mother has also been ill and in addition was involved in a car accident last week. Not injured but traumatised.

She passed away peacefully in her sleep last night, finally bereft of energy. It's devastating. In between bouts of grief I am thinking about all the practical things and arrangements..how much hung on her, looking after my dad 24/7.

What do you do when this happens?
word count: 90
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

ThyneAlone wrote:Hi everyone.

I know I've not been around a lot lately and partly that is because of work. However my mother has also been ill and in addition was involved in a car accident last week. Not injured but traumatised.

She passed away peacefully in her sleep last night, finally bereft of energy. It's devastating. In between bouts of grief I am thinking about all the practical things and arrangements..how much hung on her, looking after my dad 24/7.

What do you do when this happens?
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. My condolences to you and your family.

I don't know how I would handle the loss of one of my parents. I wish you lots of strength during this hard time.
word count: 137

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Oh, Steph. There are no words. I wish I knew what to say to comfort you in this, but all I can think of is to say how so sorry I am for your loss. I am sending you a multitude of hugs.
word count: 43

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm wishing you much comfort & support right now.
word count: 16
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph, I'm really sorry to hear your news. :cry: Love to you all! And big hugs to you!
word count: 18
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

So sorry, Stephanie. Love and hugs to you and your family.
word count: 11
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

I'm so sorry, Steph. :(
I really... Losing someone is so hard, and I know it is.
All you can do is hold on to your memories. Don't dwell on now.
Think about all the happy times.
And as corny as that sounds, it does wonders.
I'll keep you in my thoughts through all of this hon.

We're all here for you of course, your little online family.
Big hugs
word count: 73
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Thank you so very much. I know I can always be sure of non-intrusive, genuine compassion and understanding here. Many many thanks to those who have contacted me individually, it means a LOT. It’s overwhelming, humbling and very moving.

Well, after the initial shock (there were big family tears and we all went off and played Mum’s favourite recording from the 70s) we have all fallen into limbo. It's very frustrating not to be able to help properly yet, but my brother has said not to come down until he asks us to, as he is so busy at the moment and needs time to settle my father into something resembling a routine - heaven knows the next fortnight will be disturbing enough. I have spoken to my siblings and let various distant family members and friends know, and am waiting on the phone call to tell me when the funeral is so I can fix up to be there a couple of days before and after.

I feel weird. I wake up in the mornings not exactly sad, just puzzled, like I can't take in that Mum has really gone. I think I'll start to feel it when it's time for our regular phone chat when we sit and do a crossword puzzle together, or mid week when I text here to see if everything's ok. Things have obviously not been ok healthwise for a while, but somehow she managed to keep it from us. :( We won’t know exactly what the cause of death was for a few days.

I am comparatively calm. My sister needed massive phone hugs, she's in pieces. Of course, being her, and a very private person, she has told barely anyone outside her immediate family and hasn't quite the support that I am getting from work colleagues, choir friends, neighbours and you lovely people (she did however finally put a tribute on FB yesterday, but that is not the same as direct people contact). The house is full of flowers and kind visitors and that really helps. Only problem is to keep it separate from the other cards because Mum died on son no.1’s 23rd birthday. Appalling for him. We went ahead with our various celebrations as I think my mother would have been very miffed at us missing a family party on her account – she was such an alive, vital character and a real party animal in her day! Nevertheless receiving her card after she was gone was very hard for all of us and especially for him. It was probably the last thing she wrote.

Thanks again for all your support. It has warmed and comforted me and mine.
word count: 459
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist
It’s my birthday

Post by hanneDK »

Steph, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.
My thoughts are with you and your family in this sad time.
I'm sending my love and hugs to you.
word count: 34

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

ThyneAlone wrote:I feel weird. I wake up in the mornings not exactly sad, just puzzled, like I can't take in that Mum has really gone.
*HUGS STEPH*

When my grandmother died a year and a half ago, I think I was so busy helping my family take care of things that I ended up pushing down my own feelings about it all. There was no time to break down, not when my dad asked me to come with him and his siblings to the funeral parlor to make arrangements. No time to let it all sink in, not when there were calls to take or other stuff to do. It didn't feel real to me, either. I don't think I actually broke down and cried until the funeral was over. I was teary before then, but I didn't really allow myself to delve into it, you know? But I remember going to the funeral and then the cemetary after that, and the priest said prayers over the casket and then everyone else was walking away but I couldn't make myself leave yet. It just didn't feel right. I walked over to the casket and just put my hand out and patted it, almost like I would have patted my grandmother's shoulder, had she been there in the flesh. I just wanted to say a final goodbye, I guess. And I turned around to leave and my mother was standing there, waiting for me, and that's when I just lost it. Like a little kid who still needed her mom. I guess in that moment I did. *wry smile*

Anyway, my ever-rambling point is that you'll feel it when you need to. It will sink in when you're ready. In the meantime, be there for your family (oh, your poor son -- on his birthday!), and let them be there for you when you find that you need it.

As we all do here on Tj's site, I continue to send you my most loving and comforting thoughts.

P.S. to Sharon -- I just remembered another smiley icon I like to use. It's a smiley face holding up a heart in its hand. Do you know the one I mean? I like using it as an expression of giving love, letting people know I care. It's one I would use in this instance, for Steph. :D
word count: 408

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

:romance-smileyheart: Is this it? If not, I'll look again after I take my shower. LOL 24 pages of smilies it is easy enough to miss one. :wink:
word count: 26

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

That's the one! :romance-smileyheart: Thanks, Sharon!
word count: 6

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

P.S. Is that a new signature line for you, Sharon? I really like the saying. It's beautiful.

P.S. again. I just read some brief things about Pissarro in my History of Graphic Design class. :D
word count: 37
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:That's the one! :romance-smileyheart: Thanks, Sharon!
Yay!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:P.S. Is that a new signature line for you, Sharon? I really like the saying. It's beautiful.

P.S. again. I just read some brief things about Pissarro in my History of Graphic Design class. :D
Yes, I think I put it on there yesterday or the day before. I saw it and love the quote, so thought I'd use it as a sig for a little while. :) I like the impressionists. I don't know much about Pissarro really but have seen a few of his paintings and loved them. :)
word count: 104

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

I'm glad you received my email Steph Big Hugs for you and your family :romance-grouphug: :romance-smileyheart:

Ali :)
word count: 16