Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by stargazer »

Awesome pics!! That's great that you were able to get that close! Kennedy Space Center was offering tour packages to see Endevour in the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) but I live about 4 hours away and they were about $100.00/person so I wasn't able to make it down there. :( But the good thing is, KSC is keeping one of the other shuttles at the visitor complex and we can see it anytime. :)
word count: 76
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

Hi to everyone here!!! :-)

So many things to read, so many stories and I'm so behind...

Well, what to say...
I've got my exhibition during last Sunday (sorry I couldn't go to Paris and see TJ, but it was just impossible to be ready for the exhibit and travel to Paris... :( )

So it was an open air one, and I was very happy because the weather was just perfect, so no rain (it would have been sad for the paintings...)

It was during a village's fair, so nothing really official, but it was cool though :-) I've enjoyed meeting a lot of people and seeing their reactions to my work, touching to be sure it was just paint with no relief, that was funny.
And also how numerous they were to ask if I did all this... I don't look like a painter I guess :icon-biggrin:
I was so surprised by all the compliments and nice words, it was just a great moment to me :-)
Some of them asked if my paintings were for sale, but they were not (because they are samples for my work).
So I wonder if I should paint and see if I could sell some paintings... A lot of the interested people wanted to buy my small one with the wall and the rusty ring, so I don't know...
I still think my work isn't good enough, so I can't consider selling it this way, but visitors seem to think I can sell them...

My most pleasant time? When 2 kids around 10 yo told me how nice my paintings were :-)
My worst time? When a man spent more than half an hour talking with me about him and ALL the things he had and how HIS work was interesting, that he was travelling a lot, etc. I had to find a moment in this "conversation" to tell him in a very subtile way that I have bought my house with my boyfriend (big big lie from me, I'm not proud of this, but sometimes there's no other solution) to see him leave and stick another woman... :shock: Boring men sometimes, really...
The funniest time? When the organisator talked on the microphone and we REALLY realised he didn't drink ONLY water :icon-mrgreen:

On the other hand, I'm still on my actual painting, not that it's long to paint, but mostly because I had various things to deal with and so it's not done yet :angry-banghead:
I love the result for now, but I still have to work on it before I post a picture of it here... But be sure I'll do, so you can give me your opinion :-)

For the other news, I have another exhibition planned for may 2013 at an old people's home and they would love to redecorate the place and so they asked me if it was possible for me, and of course I said yes :-) They will tell me about their budget in a couple of months (it's a public building, so they have to wait to know how much they can spend in walls decorating, usual thing)
I have some ideas, so I hope they will have the money for it :-)

LOL I'm watching my Twitter profile picture and I realise I really have a big nose :happy-smileyflower:

I think that's all for now...

Big big hugs to you all :-)

Véro
word count: 578
The waffle conspiracy...

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I also shot this video of it heading to the runway, but the video is very shaky (I had to hold the camera between the chain link fence and the barbed wire to do this)...

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/me ... 87d2ec.mp4

Vero, I would buy your paintings if I had any money. :crying-pink: :icon-wink: I think you should do some to sell! If people are willing to buy them why not???

word count: 72
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Véro, you should absolutely paint paintings to be sold, if that's something you'd like to do! Especially if you're already getting requests for it. That's an excellent sign. :D

Speaking of which.... I have just put in my order for my very first business cards to be printed! :shock: :icon-mrgreen: My freelance web design business may soon be a reality. Wow.

Fingers crossed that the 2 potential clients end up wanting me to build their websites!

Sharon, I like your shuttle pictures. They look amazing.

Simone, I hope your work situation is improving. And if not, I hope your sanity remains intact. *HUGS* to you!

P.S. to Steph, how's that kitchen working out for you? :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 119
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Véro, you should absolutely paint paintings to be sold, if that's something you'd like to do! Especially if you're already getting requests for it. That's an excellent sign. :D
I agree completely! I love your stuff, Véro, and I would absolutely pay for it. You are so talented. Great to hear people are showing an interest.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Speaking of which.... I have just put in my order for my very first business cards to be printed! :shock: :icon-mrgreen: My freelance web design business may soon be a reality. Wow.

Fingers crossed that the 2 potential clients end up wanting me to build their websites!
Well done Sherry, that's amazing. Crossing my fingers hard. I have always adored the positivity and energy of the members of this board - and their talents of course. You go girl.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Sharon, I like your shuttle pictures. They look amazing.
They do! This is not the kind of thing I normally am interested in, but I have to say - great photos, and historic ones also. Well worth the journey and the climb up the ladder!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Simone, I hope your work situation is improving. And if not, I hope your sanity remains intact. *HUGS* to you!
I echo that fervently, Simone. There’s nothing worse than mistrust and dislike of those in charge. My immediate line boss has just threatened to resign following a humiliating and demeaning chewing out from our principal over our comparatively poor exam results this summer. Being miserable in your work is the worst. I really hope things work out for you one way or another.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:P.S. to Steph, how's that kitchen working out for you? :romance-smileyheart:
Ah well. It looks fantastic and we have all our stuff back in, everything is working and we are planning the actual decoration – tiling, new lights, paint job, flooring – with a builder friend of ours. Doors have still to arrive for one of the cupboards and we are awaiting the delivery of a few drawer handles. But no big deal.

That said, some of the new plumbing under the sink has been leaking for a week and the fitter has only just managed to come in to repair it! What next? Lol! :D
word count: 380
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

:romance-smileyheart: Aaaah Sharon, Sherry and Steph!!! Thank you so much for your opinion :-)
Oh, looks like you are the S team here! We can include Simone to the team as well :icon-lol:

:eusa-dance: Woohoo Sherry!!!! Congratulations!!! Sounds great!!! Can't wait to hear about your customers 8)

How is your situation Simone??? Hope it's getting better... Come here and tell us, spend time with us in the cbox and have fun!!! We will make you smile :romance-smileyheart:

:icon-eek: Stephanie!!!! This is a Hell Kitchen you are experiencing!!! :icon-biggrin: Hope you will enjoy it totally very very soon! You really deserve it after all this drama :icon-mrgreen:

Ok, I'm sick today... Woohoo... :sleeping-asleep: Autumn is knocking at the door, only 5°C this morning and the sun seems to be gone for a long time. Time for clouds, wind and rain... And sickness!
So, just woke up from my feverish nap, and now sitting here with a hot tea with honey :?

Véro

word count: 157
The waffle conspiracy...

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Cool pictures Sharon!

Vero, Vero....YES you absolutely should sell yours!!!

See these? http://icraveilove.deviantart.com/ The first 6 are commissioned pieces. I made about $700 of those. And if people actually gave me money, then they absolutely will pay for yours, which are a zillion times better.

Go Sherry! I've been told I need a website eventually...hmmmm. ;).
word count: 61
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

AngMT wrote:Go Sherry! I've been told I need a website eventually...hmmmm. ;).
LOL!

Ang, anytime you decide you need one, I would happily make you a website. Maybe we could barter -- a website for a painting. ;)

I was just looking at your link; that 'Yellow Sunrise' and the 'Sunset' pictures are so pretty!

You and Véro are both talented artists. Again, as someone who had to do a painting in one of her classes as part of the web design program, I found it really challenging to do, so I'm in awe of anyone like you who can create such lovely work. It is NOT easy.
word count: 110
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sherry, Steph, Véro - THANK YOU for your nice words! Even though it is worse at work they help me getting through this. It's clear for me that I don't wanna work there anymore. But I cannot just quit! :? But sometimes I actually think about that option, too. But without having a new job ...I don't know. I need the money. It's a bad situation. ...and I used to love working there! It was once the coolest company I've ever worked for. But as you see it always depends on the people who work there, too, and the people in charge. I hate it right now! That's sad! I try to keep sane, Sherry, but you made a point. It's hard! The talk with my bosses bosses wasn't helpful either. My boss seems to ignore this talk completely. They told us he wants to take care of us more. Get to know us and what we do. Give us more information of what's actually going on in the company. And give us important information of our work fields. But he didn't do anything yet! It's strange! I cannot work like that. I didn't get any information at all. And if I need to know how to do something he cannot help me because he didn't know either! :confusion-shrug: :confusion-seeingstars: :angry-screaming:

Sherry, fingers crossed for your web design business.

Steph, very happy for you that the kitchen is finally installed and working! YAY!

Sharon, cool pics of the shuttle.

Véro, great news that people wanna buy your paintings! Have you sold one, yet?

*HUGS* to you all ...and thank you again! I'll let you know if anything changes. We have a free day here in Germany and I just wrote another job application. That always makes me feel a bit better. It gives me the feeling that I at least do something! Hope I'll get something new, soon! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

:greetings-cya:
word count: 330
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

I accomplished something today. Came up with a name and printed business cards. Used the ones you can do at home so I can always change them, particularly the artwork when I get new and better stuff.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y52 ... 9ec85d.jpg

Pics are more clear on the card, scanned and then magnified messes it up.

Chose that for a name since most of my stuff is requested/inspired by other people, places, etc...
word count: 77
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

Wendy
Super Fan

Post by Wendy »

Hi everyone!

It’s been an awful long time since I posted here. Don’t worry, I read all of your posts (i was one of the guests who are always on the site ;) ) but I have never had the time to sit down and write down something.
So, what has been going on in my life? Nothing and everything at the same time. WARNING! This is going to be a LONG post :)

Still trying to find a full-time job. No luck so far. I’ve graduated eleven months ago and writing application letters ever since. But with the financial crisis and recession and such it’s hard to find a job. So far I have been to one interview and been called for another one (but I couldn’t attend due to my current job). That sucks.

Luckily my new manager has broken up my contract and gave me more hours to work. Normally I had up to 13 hours to work (weekends only) but now I have a contract in which I can work 13 to 29 hours on weekdays. But unfortunately this can’t last forever, since the place is closing very soon. No word on which date exactly, but we are all guessing it will be somewhere in the next 6 months. But I have a contract until April ’13 so I’ll be on the safe side. But I really want a job before that so I don’t have to worry about that.

My love life (or the lack thereof) also sucks. I met a guy about two months ago in the local Irish Pub. I was there with my friend and he was there with his colleague. We were in a booth in the smokers lounge because my friend smokes. The guy and colleague both smoke and decide to sit with us (note: they were there all evening, so pretty wasted at the time). At some point we were told to leave the room because there were not enough smokers to keep the room open (ehh, ok). So we decided to go to the bar area. ‘My’ guy was hitting on my friend but she has a boyfriend so she decides to ignore him. At some point he wanted a smoke but no one wanted to go with him. So I offered to join him (even though I don’t smoke at all). We stayed out for quite some time and talked about nothing (try to have a conversation with a drunk person, good luck with that!). We shared a kiss at some point outside, but then his colleague came by to check up on him so we broke off.

We exchanged phone numbers and began texting for about a week. He had to get a haircut and I said I wanted to check how it was done so we made plans to meet each other. We went to the beach and lounged all afternoon (and got pretty burned, both of us. The one time it’s sunny in the Netherlands :D). We talked and we laughed all afternoon, and when we hold hands walking back to the train. Then he gave me a goodbye kiss and we started texting for another couple of days. I added him on facebook but we never talked there. I asked him out for another date.

Since I sort of decided where we spend our first ‘date’ I let him decide where we were going next. So he chose the zoo. (To me, if you are going out with someone to the zoo, you are more than texting buddies, friends or whatever you are going to call it. To me it’s more like: ‘I like you a lot and lets be a couple’ kind of thing). One day prior I texted him at what time he was coming in by train as he didn’t live in the same town as I do. No response, but it was a Friday evening so I figured he was at a bar with colleagues as he normally does on Fridays. Still no text on Saturday, one hour before the time I suggested. Well, I thought, battery dead, no reception (I see the good in people and the worst in technology). So I decided to go the train station at my suggested time. No him… so I waited for some time. But after 30 minutes I decided that I was being stood up. So I went home and cried my eyes out.

I decided to leave it to him to contact me but he didn’t so after one week I took matters in my own hands and wrote him on Facebook about what happened and that it is rude to let someone hanging like that. And if he don’t want to hang out anymore he could say so because i’m a big girl and can handle that. He replied and said that he was indeed drinking with colleagues and forgot all about our date (ehm.. how about me texting you twice?) then he went on with chit chat about him going back to school and buying a house. So I wrote him back that he and booze were not a good combo (sort of our gag since the first time we met and he being drunk) but he didn’t reply to that. And one day after that I have to read on FB: ‘xxx went from being single to in a relationship with xxx (his ex-gf)’ so my heart skipped a beat and I wanted to toss my laptop out and scream and cry and eat ice cream and yell at him and punch him in the face and what not. So I cried some more, but then I quickly realized that he is not worth my tears and that it’s his loss.

And in the same week I heard from my sister that she had a miscarriage at six week pregnant. So that week is something to forget real quick and look forward to the future.

Love X

I will visiting more often, i promise :icon-wink:
word count: 1022

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Wendy, nice to "see" you here again. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with that guy. :(

Simone I'm sorry that you are still not happy at work and nothing has changed. :(

I know I told you already on the chatbox but that is a great card Ang. :) Hope you get a lot more work!

word count: 59
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

My goodness, Simone. ;-;
One of these days it'll all come to a head and you'll be on top. I'm so sorry things still aren't looking up. :icon-sad:

And Wendy, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. But you're right. He's not worth your time.
I hope that you find someone better soon. :D

Vero, again, WONDERFUL art. Absolutely amazing.
And Ang, I love your paintings (and drawings, for that matter.
Wish I had the money to commission something from both of you!!

As for Kay?
Well. Things at work are looking up; hours are going to be picking up here soon, what with the Christmas season round the corner.
But, of course, something good can't happen without a hitch.
A huge one, this time.
I was driving to see my boyfriend this morning, and my car started sputtering... So I pulled over and took a peek under the hood (which by the way, :crying-pink: ME? Looking under the hood of a car? HILARIOUS.) and saw nothing wrong with it, so I called his friend and asked him to bring him the phone.
Long story short, I tried to drive home, and we made it to a gas station, put fluids in it, and I see there's a HUGE crack in the block.
So she's shot.
And I'm so broke it's not even funny.
So now I have no car.
/whine

I miss you all! I need to come back more often. :c
word count: 252
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

Ali:)
Fan

Post by Ali:) »

Hey Everyone I’m back. I had login in problems with my last one so I made a new one. :) I hope everyone is well and happy.

Ali :D
word count: 28

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

This semester is almost halfway over! WOO HOO! Christmas is only 74 days away! :shock:

Welcome back Ali!! :)
word count: 17

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Sharon, it's not even Halloween yet and you're talking about Christmas?? You're stressing me out, man. :icon-lol:
word count: 19

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I :romance-smileyheart: Christmas. I never get stressed out about it! Probably because I've already bought all but 2 of the presents. HAHAHAHA

But okay....

19 Days until Halloween!!!! :occasion-happyhalloween: :chores-utensils:

46 days until Thanksgiving (in the US ;) )
word count: 35

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

WOW! I haven't even thought about Christmas yet! I'm very impressed Sharon! :eusa-clap: I'm still trying to figure out how to get costumes for my kids and myself for work, as well as buy a truck load of candy because our neighborhood is the place to be for Halloween. We always have WAY more trick-or-treaters than candy! :icon-lol:
word count: 63
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

:D Thought I could sit a while on the sofa and say hi to all of you :-)

Wendy: so sorry to read your story with this as***** and this so sad moment into your sister life... Hope things will be better soon. :romance-grouphug:

Hey Kay!!! Nice to see you again here :-) Thanks a lot for the compliment :-)

Aliiiiiiiiii!!! We miss you here!!! :D

So, for the latest news:
I'm preparing an exhibition once again ;-) But this time my paintings will be for sale. So who knows, maybe someone will buy one??? LOL I don't think so, frenchies don't like to pay for anything...

Whatever, I'm preparing this event and so painting some new samples... I'm planning to have 5 paintings done and so far one is all finished!!! woohoo!!! Celebrated with vanilla ice cream :-P

Well here is the link to the painting : http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... 010241.jpg
It's a small size, mostly because I wanted to it to have details, next ones will certainly be less detailed, at least the painting style may be a bit different ;-)

I'll post the link here when it's done :-)

Oh, for the exhibition: 27th october to 4th november :-) in a little art fair close to my home...

Hugs

Véro :happy-smileyflower:
word count: 214
The waffle conspiracy...

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

That's a really great painting Vero! Great job! I don't know why someone wouldn't buy it. :D
word count: 19