Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by stargazer »

I'm so sorry for your loss Sharon! :( I have several friends like that so I know what you mean, but I can't imagine losing one if them. That is way too young and I really feel for his family as well as yours. We're all here if you need us. :romance-grouphug:

I got a call from my mother yesterday afternoon saying that my grandmother on my dad's side is in the hospital and they're not sure if she'll be getting out. She has a serious blood infection as well as a brain tumor so this isn't really a shock. After my grandfather on my mother's side passed away last fall I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go back for another funeral anytime soon, but I guess only time will tell.
word count: 140
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your friend, Sharon. I wish I could give you a real live proper hug but a few words here will have to do. It's just one of those horrible inexplicable things that no-one can really help with. In loss we really are alone. :( I have friends like that too, one in particular I grew up with from the age of 5 and who, oddly, also came North like me and is fairly local. We don't see one another much but when we do...well, you know...months and years melt away.

So young too - it feels so wrong. Like it feels when an ex-pupil of mine dies, and I can think of at least 3 examples of that off the top of my head; it just ISN'T RIGHT.

Kathy, I am thinking of you and your grandmother too.
word count: 151
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Kathy, I'm really sorry about your grandmother.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. I really appreciate it. Even though I hadn't seen him a lot in a while, I still feel like there is a HUGE hole just knowing he is no longer on this earth.

Steph, losing former pupils would be very tough too, so sad. :(

:romance-grouphug:
word count: 60
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

I'm so sorry Sharon, I wish there was something I could do to take away the pain. :(

Better news on my grandmother, she is responding to the antibiotics for the blood infection but she can no longer live on her own so they're moving her into a nursing home. It makes me feel better that she'll have people there watching her and making sure she eats enough and takes her medication. She still has the brain tumor that she's had for years but now it's really starting to affect her more and it's inoperable so there's nothing the doctors can do about that. At least she's not in immediate danger anymore. :)
word count: 119
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

So sorry to hear about the bad news guys :(

Sending MEGA HUGS to you xxxx
word count: 15

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Apols guys for inappropriate bounciness, but I am really happy this morning and I want to share. We just had a really long email from son no. 2 telling us about his week, and he is having an absolutely glorious time. He's finished at Victorville and enjoyed coaching a small group pretty intensively, but has somehow managed to have a great social week as well.

He loved his host family again and they have made a real effort to give him a proper taste of the US.
He went to the cinema to see Transformers: Age of Extinction (concluding that no action movie should last nearly 3 hours!). This was followed up during the week with mini golf, a river visit, a mall (yes he's been shopping!) and some practice in a batting cage plus a proper game - La Angels and Seattle Mariners. Really had fun apparently.

A big theme this week has been Food. He's tried a buffet restaurant, a steakhouse, a burger place and a barbecue, and assures us that if there are two things Liverpool really needs it's a frozen yoghurt store and Krispy Kreme access. I wonder how much weight he's putting on.

Next week he's in Burbank,but doesn't reckon he'll be able to get out much there, as he and ten other coaches are working one of the company's biggest camps, 123 children! It seems the pitch they have is minuscule and he has no idea how they'll fit 120-odd kids and 11 coaches on it ...but we'll see...

He says he's very happy that we managed to get to meet TJ "especially after the c**p you went through to get it!" I won't quote what he said about the LFCC organisers, but it was fairly graphic. :)

It will sound cheesy, but I seriously want to thank all you people over the pond for your hospitality, friendliness and generosity as a nation. Of course I am familiar with it through visits here (and through knowing TJ), but for him it's new, and guys - you are AMAAAAZING. Big hugs to you all. :happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-thankyouyellow: :banana-jumprope: :romance-grouphug: :flags-usa:
word count: 363

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph, I agree you need a Krispy Kreme! For me, besides yummy doughnuts, it is were I met up with TJ when he came through here! LOL

I'm glad your son is having a good time here and is having a good experience.
word count: 44
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Steph, sounds like your son is having a fantastic time! Maybe one day you can make it here too. :) I'm kind of surprised you don't have Krispy Kreme in the UK. I personally like Dunkin Donuts better though. LOL!!
word count: 41

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Kathy your Dunkin' Donuts must still care about selling doughnuts then, because the Dunkin' Donuts here they are always stale! Like they've been there for a week! Horrible nasty things. I used to like Dunkin' but lately all they seem to care about are their drinks and the doughnuts SUCK.
word count: 51

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

So tomorrow is our departure, looking forward to that. Today hubby & I spent an agreeable hot day in Liverpool, museum visiting and chatting with Jude and Simone again. Simone, it was great to see you twice in 10 days and we had a terrific time. Hope you aren't too tired getting up at 5am to start your journey home! And hi Jude, yes indeedy it would be nice to see you over here more often as you are a very articulate poster and a good mate!
word count: 87

Sculder1013
Super Fan

HELLOOOOOO

Post by Sculder1013 »

Been quiet on here this week - I have been back at work after 9 weeks off with a broken ankle so I have gone from a very long break to 12 hour days at work so I am SHATTERED! It sucks because where I live is a 5 min walk from the office... but the office has now moved to Manchester... so my 5 min walk is now a 30 min walk to the train station, then a 25 min train ride, then a 15 min walk at the other end to the office. LONG LONG LONG days! ha

How is everyone?

Whats everyone been up to?
word count: 107

MariaDiaper
Fan

Post by MariaDiaper »

Laptop nearly fixed! Ran into some hiccups with the charger. Moving into my new flat so am rather busy at the moment. Sorry for not posting much!
word count: 27
Met TJ on 12/07/2014 at London Film & Comic Con.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Emma and Maria! :) Maria I hope you get your laptop fixed up soon.

I went to the bank today-which is NEVER a good idea on the first of the month but I had to do this today. There was not a single parking place so I opted to go through the drive through, which was also full of cars. After sitting there for about 20 minutes I decided to turn the engine off, no point wasting gas right? Well apparently that wasn't a good idea, because finally the cars in my lane move and I try to start the engine and NOTHING HAPPENS. Sigh. Now I'm stuck in the middle of all these cars with no way to even push the thing out of the way. So I get out and the guy in the lane next to me had his window open so I told him my car won't start, so he got out and we look under the hood. He says "I don't know anything about cars." HAHAHA Me neither but I suggested since I have jumper cables would he mind trying to jump the battery. He said, well I guess it won't hurt! So I get the cables and he hooks them up and thankfully the car started. WOOHOO and I didn't even hold up the people behind me because the car in front of me was still doing their transaction! I didn't turn the engine off after that. So THANKS TO THE GUY IN THE PICKUP TRUCK next to me! I know he'll not see this but he was my savior today. :D I had some other things I was going to do, post office and the library but that didn't get done because it would require me to shut off the engine. I couldn't just go get a new battery, didn't have the money to do that right then so it has to wait until tomorrow. Sadly that means no library book to read tonight but at least I was able to get the bank transaction finished and made it home! Of course, once I got home the car started even after the engine was shut off several times. LOL
word count: 377

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi all! What an absolute pain, Sharon. So glad you found someone helpful. And Emma, that sucks that you have such a long way to go now. I'm very happy your ankle has recovered, though. Do forgive me for forgetting to PM you to tell you I had moved your most recent post over to the sofa where our posts about ourselves and our own lives usually end up. Maria, good luck with the move and we look forward to seeing more of you when you're not quite so busy and the laptop is fully back to health.

Me, well, I've just been to Ripon, Alnwick and York over a period of a week in fantastic weather and then entertained a friend we haven't seen for about 8 years on our return. The actual holiday was absolutely beautiful. We even had a chance to dawdle a little along the gorgeous Northumberland coast and linger over Hadrian's Wall and Corbridge Roman ruins while we were en route between places. We got to attend choral evensong twice in York Minster and to see a really remarkable performance of Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' at the York Mansion House. We went to see the nationally famous second hand bookshop in Alnwick which has been built into an entire ex-station building. It has reading areas, an excellent café and model train layouts which are suspended above you and whizz round on top of the bookcases. The castle in Alnwick is a superb visit, too - some of the Harry Potter filming took place there. And then the B&B was to die for, with complimentary sherry provided in the room and all sorts of lovely little attentions and extras plus delicious food and free access to a huge rack of DVDs and a fridge full of culinary delights. We were certainly well looked after.

All this would have been unreservedly wonderful, and indeed was very pleasurable, but family-wise things are very difficult just now and it cast a bit of a shadow. There are various rather complicated arguments going on between my siblings regarding my father's will. I won't go into detail, just say that there has been upsetting unpleasantness and even a threat of violence from one quarter. Nothing like a will to polarise a family. This is kind of hanging over me just now and not looking as if it will be simple to sort out, so cross your fingers for us!
word count: 421

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

On a more cheerful note, we have spoken to son no.2 in California on Skype twice this week. He is still having a marvellous time and eating more than I would have thought possible without exploding. All his host families have been amazingly hospitable and friendly, and he is now on his 4th placement, soon to move on again. It looks like he won't be moving around a lot as originally thought, but remaining on the West coast. So, near TJ! So far he has been in San Juan Capistrano, Victorville, Burbank and Newbury Park, and goes on to Thousand Oaks (only 15 minutes travel this time) next week. News on the fall when he settles down in one place for a while is that it will probably be in San Francisco, on a special course where he will be mentoring other young coaches as well as doing coaching himself.

Soooo having loads of fun.

Another positive thing, we have just had a visit here from a friend I have not seen for about 7 years! She's acquired a husband and a gorgeous daughter (now 5) since our last meeting. You know what? She and new hubby are avid Bones watchers and were massively impressed with my TJ pictures and my Comic Con story. They are also big Doctor Who fans. If she wasn't a kindred spirit before (and she was), she certainly is now!!
word count: 239

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

well healing is a strong word lol - apparently it is healing but just VERY slowly.. hurts like crazy to walk on it so I gotta go get more xrays in a few weeks. It might still need surgery yet!!!!

I am glad everyone is ok - LFCC feels like forever ago now! I have decided today I am totally gunna have to go to the San Diego one next year coz it looks MEGA with all the stars there!
word count: 78

MariaDiaper
Fan

Post by MariaDiaper »

On the topic of the San Diego con, the stars there will be insane but just think of the limited Pop! Vinyls... *dreams away*.. imagine if they made Bones ones!
word count: 30

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

I think I'd have to sell everything I own to go there ha would be totally worth it though! Id have to buy ALLOFTHE things!!
word count: 26

MariaDiaper
Fan

Post by MariaDiaper »

I agree! Would be so cool to go!
word count: 8

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

I had a really weird dream last night that there was a new film coming out which was a lot like the movie Face Off (have u all seen that movie with Nick Cage??) - and TJ was in it but he was the bad guy... he was SOOO evil in it but he played a bad guy SO well! Now I want this to actually happen!! I bet TJ would play a fantastic bad guy!
word count: 75