Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by begolden »

Hi Giggles, I'm late to the name-game, but if you're interested in "C" names that are more unusual, I have a nephew named Cedar. Very earthy name!

Steph, France sounds like it would be wonderful--minus the naughty boys! However, I'm glad to know that boys will be boys and full of mischief no matter what continent they're from! About five of mine are terrible and run off at the mouth every chance they get...
word count: 80
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

This is really not meant as preaching in any way but just had to mention the email I got from Farm Santuary today about its new virtual tour about factory farming. Farm Santuary is based in California and New York and is basically a sanctuary for farm animals (there's a lot more to it).

I watched some of the virtual tour whilst on my lunch in work and it was really thought provoking but when I got to the bit about the day old chicks I had to stop watching before I threw up or burst in to tears. Watching this definitely made me more determined to be vegan at some point, although I know I'll struggle more with not having chocolate and cheese than I do with not eating meat. Since I became vegetarian it's definitely the sweet stuff like Haribo that I miss more (as they are not vegetarian) and not the meat. I've got a terrible sweet tooth.

Anyway if anyone is interested in looking at the Farm Santuary site, even if only to see the cute animal stories, its at farmsanctuary.org.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 197

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

If you want to be truly vegan be prepared to grow your own food.

I'm saying this quite seriously, if you want to be vegan for the sake of the animals, it's really hard once you find out how many birds/mice/insects/reptiles/amphibians and so on end up getting killed during the upkeep and harvest of the fields fruits and vegis come from. (not to mention what ends up dying as a result of the run off)

It's hard to win in a world such as this. Although it would be pretty cool to be able to eat food you said you grew yourself.

Oh also, please please please make sure you talk to a nutritionist and stuff, being vegan is pretty tough to do healthily from what I've seen if it's not approached the right way. It would be sad for one of us to get sick. :(
word count: 155

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Lore

You're totally right, I suppose it depends on how far I decide I want to take it and being truly vegan would be really difficult, I'm not sure I'd be able to take it that far but we'll see.

You're right about the nutrition aspect as well, when I first went vegetarian I wasn't getting enough protein but I'm getting more used to the diet now although its still relatively early days, only eight months.

Thanks for the interest, I will be really careful if I ever decide to go for the vegan option.

Jude x
word count: 105

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Jude, in honor of your sweet tooth and your vegetarianism, check out this post on my LiveJournal. Last weekend I made homemade vegan cupcakes (with vegan toppings -- one icing, one chocolate ganache) for a gathering with friends. The recipes came from a cookbook I'd been wanting to experiment with. They turned out VERY tasty! I think Emily Deschanel would have been proud. :D

Fun pictures of the cupcake-making process included. Heeee.
word count: 72

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

OMG those cakes look fab, Sherry, that's put me in the baking mood. At least that way it would be something I could definitely eat without having to check labels etc.

I don't actually mind checking labels but sometimes others do. One particular occasion comes to mind when I visited a friend and offered to make a veggie stir fry and take it with me to save her any bother. We ate the meal, which she said she enjoyed, and then she said she'd bought muffins. I asked if they were vegetarian and she looked at me incredulously and said did I want her to check the pack! Of course I reponded, well yea, and I felt like I was inconviencing her, which considering I made the meal, I thought was a bit unfair. After all she knows I'm vegetarian and I didn't ask her to buy the muffins!

Still never mind like I said I can feel a bit of baking coming on!

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 174

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well Jude, I have to say that despite my own carnivoroustendencies I sympathise with my numerous veggie friends about some unexpectedly thoughtless experiences with associates. I absolutely adore France and the French, but some of my mates inform me that if you ask them for something vegetarian they will just ladle the meat out of the stew before serving! I am personally sceptical about this but it does illustrate some of the issues and difficulties.

Sherry, those cakes are just mouthwatering to the eye and, I have no doubt, to the palate. I wish I was a good baker! Equally great was reading your subsequent discussion with our own beloved Sofi, and knowing that you both share my yearning, tempered with some trepidation admittedly, of being able to get together with my friends here in real, as opposed to cyber, life. For UK people this is actually a practical proposition, as I know of 2 or 3 people local to me already, but I'd love to visit other climes to meet you all. What a great convention that would be <<sigh>>. I was nervous when I met Rebecca (hi Rebecca if you're reading this!), but she turned out to be so lovely. Well, I guess you never know; it may yet happen. In the meantime we can revel in being such a cosmopolitan/international group, I guess, on which the sun rarely goes down. :D
word count: 236
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*waves to Jude and Steph*

Cupcakes = yummy. And as I joked on my LiveJournal, nothing says 'I love you' like baked goods. :lol: Or, you know, a good hug and kiss. ;)

I was really pleased with the turn-out of the cupcakes. I had purchased the cookbook out of curiosity, and because the title was hilarious, but I did worry that I'd make the recipes and find them to be bland (or simply awful). I've made vegetarian meals that turned out really boring and taste-less (though I suppose anything could be jazzed up with the right spices, but I don't have a good talent for spice experimentation unless I've done a recipe many, many times -- I'm a gal who needs measurements). And if I'm going to the trouble of making a dessert, I want it to be really yummy. So it was a delight that these turned out so nicely. I really do love to bake. It's one of those 'zen' things for me: a little music playing, a little singing while I measure and pour and stir, and I love the way the spice scents warm the kitchen with yummy smells. It's how I usually christen a new apartment, by baking something (usually pumpkin bread) so it smells like cinnamon and nutmeg ... makes it feel much more homey, you know what I mean?

Steph, it's interesting, the precariousness that occurs when getting to know someone online. I believe it's something I once said to TJ, too, comparing (on a much smaller scale) to his relationship with his fans, how difficult it is, sometimes, to find the right balance, of revealing just enough but not too much, to protect oneself (and one's family) but still be open to the experiences of getting to know people from all over the world. It's scary, but also fascinating.

I used to converse with some people in an X-Files yahoo group, and one year we did a 'Secret Santa' online gift exchange (XF-themed, of course), where one person gets another's name, and you email them a 'gift' of your choosing: a poem, a song, a story, something you've written yourself or something you just picked out, or even a photograph. The person who had my name sent me pictures of the actor who played a character from the show (nothing risque, thank you, just pictures of him in a suit, very handsome, and one of him making silly faces, which made me laugh). I sent my Secret Santa a story I'd written about a character I knew she enjoyed from the show. She liked it so much, she posted it to the group to share with everyone else. Another group member emailed me privately about how much she liked my 'take' on the character, and mentioned that I might like the writings of this other woman she knew, because our styles seemed to be similar. She forwarded a link to the woman's site, I read a few of her stories, and I was so impressed, I sent the woman a private message expressing my thoughts and feedback. She wrote back to me, and we started up a conversation. That was a good four years ago, and we've been email mates ever since! Isn't it funny the twisty way we can meet each other online? I wrote a story for one person, which impressed a different person, who nudged me to a third person, who became a good friend. :D

But I will say, I was cautious at first. Our conversations were always about writing and characters and plot and the show we both enjoyed. Which was wonderful enough, of course, because I love a good discussion of such things. Still, she was the first person to take initiative and talk about her own life. Even then, as this was my first time really talking with someone online, I was overly quiet about my own life. I talked in generalities, I never gave out my family's names, I tried very hard to protect myself and be on alert, because you always hear about nutcases and people pretending to be someone they are not. I figured: better safe than sorry. But I've also found it's good to go with your gut, and my gut kept telling me that my online friend was being genuine. I inched out of my shell, bit by bit.

Eventually, we exchanged phone numbers, and chatted on the phone a few times. I was so afraid things would get weird, that we would run out of things to talk about, but we didn't. And when I got laid off from my job, she invited me out to visit, to get away from the stressful environment and the worries for a little while. Like you with Rebecca, I was nervous to meet her at first; we'd had at least two or three years of conversations, both on the phone and via email, but you just never know if you'll click with a person when you meet face-to-face. It was awkward for probably five minutes, in that space where you don't know if you should just say hi or shake hands or hug each other (LOL), and you're both kind of assessing each other and absorbing what the other looks like. But once we got past that, it was like we were on the phone or in emails ... we just started talking and never stopped. It was a lovely trip, and I will always be grateful to her for inviting me and taking such kind care of me at a time when I was really emotional and struggling.

It's just so interesting to me, how we can meet a wide variety of people, from all over the world, online here like we do, and learn about different cultures, countries, people, interests, everything. Some of us might never quite click, and maybe we're not meant to. We're just completely different personalities. But some of us might find odd and wonderful connections, 'like' attitudes, 'like' personalities, and friendships can be formed and last beyond the general fandom interests, and that is really cool. You just never know. It's very good (and important) to be careful and protect oneself, but at the same time it's also really cool when you have a gut instinct that the person with whom you're chatting is the real deal.

I feel safe here on TJ's site, and that's due to the lovely group of you. :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 1111
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Case in point, I met my guyfriend while playing an online game originally.

Now I spend most of my long holidays with him, and we're planning to live together as soon as we can afford the cost of moving one of us to the other.
word count: 46

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Whoa! That is just cool, sound, ace, boss, wicked, safe and all the other schoolboy slang for great I have heard over a score of years. Fabulous!
word count: 27

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Da bomb! (oh how about shiny? I know some people were saying that before firefly!)

lol

The one downside of the internet, is it's tendency to get people talking that are from other countries, makes it harder to easily meet up while still keeping on the safe side of things.
word count: 51

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Lorenith wrote:Case in point, I met my guyfriend while playing an online game originally.
That is so lovely, Lore! :D

P.S. I know what you mean about it being slightly problematic for meeteing because we all live in completely different areas of the world. Sure makes it difficult (and darn near impossible). There are so many people I'd love to meet -- I'd be very well-traveled if I got that chance! *GRIN*
word count: 75
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

I actually met Alex on line when I read his profile on MSN messenger a few years back, and he said he was from Liverpool and a Reds fan. I sent him an email and a couple of texts and phone calls followed before we met.

It turned out that he only lives a ten minute walk from me and we know loads of the same people. For instance one of his old neighbours, who the family are still friendly with, is an old school friend of my mum and her brothers and his mum and my aunt knew each other from doing the school run when Alex's sister and my cousin were at the same junior school.

I must admit it would be cool to meet everyone, I reckon, in honour of TJ we should meet in LA (although in reallity, financially, I'd probably be lucky to make London at the mo).

Btw Steph I've just been up your way, I went up to Ince Blundell to get Alex's mum's birthday pressie and drove through Crosby on the way home. I drive through quite a bit on the way to and from my uncle's in Formby, although the last time I actually stopped there was a while ago now when I visited one of my friends, she lives by Charlie Parker's.

Anyway, even if we never meet its cool to chat to you all.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 249

Daisy_A
Fan

Post by Daisy_A »

I'm on a cocker spaniel forum...have been since I was 11 and te main breeder used to meet up with forum members whenever he had a new litter. I started a meeting between all of the UK members and it has become yearly, we look crazy in the park with our dogs. That was how I got my second dog Penny and I see them all the time, we've even had American members fly down for the party and sometime I plant to fly up and see them. free accomodation :lol:
word count: 93

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Jude40 wrote: I drive through quite a bit on the way to and from my uncle's in Formby, although the last time I actually stopped there was a while ago now when I visited one of my friends, she lives by Charlie Parker's.
You must absolutely stop off some time and say hi. Ian and I adore Charlie Parker's; haven't been there for a while cos it's gone so upmarket, but we were there and mates with the owners when they started up. We intend to go for a meal there for our anniversary in July.

Who knows, I may know people you know...loads of my colleagues live in Formby. Btw you must have passed my school hundreds of times...the one with the clock tower, yeah (not giving out names online, but you know who we are)?
word count: 144

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

It's kind of funny how that works, I mean how people are connected without even realizing it and then they meet someday and it's like "wow I know a lot of the same people you do!"

Maybe there is something to this "red string of fate" some cultures have lol.
word count: 52

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Steph, it would be cool to meet up sometime maybe if you're ever gonna be in town you could let me know and we could grab a coffee or something.

Jude x
word count: 33

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

This week is a short week because friday is an official holiday here in Germany. It's Labour Day! A lot of people use the day before to celebrate. It's called "Tanz in den Mai" (Dance into May). But I don't like it very much. Lots of drunken people. So a friend of me and I gonna meet and have dinner together. After it we want to watch "Wolverine". (Hugh Jackman - so hot! - At least I'm gonna see one Australian actor that way. Unfortunately not live on stage.) So we both "watch into May" :wink: :) .
Gonna tell you how everthing worked out!
See you!
Simone.
word count: 107
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

Ok this is completely random but just thought I'd share. Yesterday was a bit bizarre, it started off as one of those small world type of days when I found out that one of the girls in work shops at my uncle's aquariam shop and has known him for years, then that one of the other girls was at school with Alex's sister and knew Alex when he was a kid.

Then the day just got a bit bizarre when I arrived at the station to get the train home and was greeted by Cleopatra and Mark Anthony (I'm seriously hoping there was a fancy dress party somewhere!).

Today has been a bit more normal, boring really although I'm off to the pub soon and then I might actually get round to watching 'The Beaver in the Otter' on line.

I'm off to see Al Murray at the arena tomorrow, I've never actually watched him on TV so I'm not if I'll be impressed or not but Alex paid for the tickets so I can't lose really. His mates going too though and I'm seriously going to kill him if he starts winding me up about vegetarianism, he does it every time I see him.

Anyway at least I've got the extra day off this weekend, happy days.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 237

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Did anyone watch "Wolverine", yet? It was great! We had a great time. First we ate a lot and then we went over to the cinema to watch it in the late night performance. As for me I liked the X-Men movies better (at least part one and two) but "Wolverine" was also great! The story about how he became Wolverine was well written and very exciting! Liked that "Gambit" was in it! Missed him in the X-Men movies!
We were home very late - or very early :wink: - and had lots of fun! Great evening!
Take care!
Simone.
word count: 99
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.