Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Hi Steph! Well I do love school despite how much I complained about it this last semester. Probably because other than the computer class I was not interested in the subjects. This will not be the first time I'm taking a course just because I wanted to, I took two history courses in 2007/2008 because I liked the teacher and I like history. My British Lit teacher would be so thrilled if she found out I'm taking an English course again. She tried to talk me into being an English major but I like computers more and think the job opportunities are better in the computer world. ;)

Glad you like the avatar, was just playing around yesterday and came up with that. Wasn't sure about it but think I'll keep it for a little while.
word count: 140
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Your avatar is really great, Sharon. I want one, too. Need to find something for it!
Simone.
word count: 17
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Lonia
Super Fan

Post by Lonia »

Your course sounds great Sharon. I wish you a great time doing it :D

And I'm with the others - your avatar is really great. I love it!
word count: 27

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

This probably won't mean much to anyone but Jude, but 16-year-old son no.2 has been accepted on a scholarship to play goalie with Southport FC following a trial on Thursday. They educate as well as train; he will be studying for sport coaching qualifications and learning first aid as well as playing football. He's over the moon. Fingers crossed it all works out!
word count: 68
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

And, to answer your query, Jade..I have had so many influences that my musical tastes are quite catholic! Here are some examples of what I like to listen to:
Choral/jazz/classical music, but also music hall, 70s naff disco, anything with close harmonies ranging from barbershop to 60s classics like the Beach Boys, Hollies and Mamas and the Papas, soul, chanson, musicals, which I absorbed from my parents at a very impressionable age (can still sing 'The Sound of Music' straight through) Queen, Ooberman (and quite a lot of other indie pop: live entertainment in general. My main love is singing myself. I have a small concert on Saturday with other pupils of my singing teacher, singing operatic solos. Looking forward to that!
word count: 125

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

It was actually Ellen that asked about music, and it was on the random thread. You got me so confused there for a minute. I was trying to figure out what I might have asked. lol.
word count: 36
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah thank you. I was juggling 2 threads and was mystified when one of my posts failed to turn up here so repeated it -duh, of course it didn't turn up here, I'd put it on another thread!

Never mind, the men in the white coats are on the way.

I'm so glad someone here knows what's going on!
word count: 63

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi out there, people!
It's somewhat quiet, I notice. I guess with Bones finishing and exams on for some of our students, we were bound to have a few barren days!

You won't particularly want to know what's kept me away from you over the last week I suppose? Well, tough - I feel like moaning!

This morning our internal exams started, so they are now running in tandem with public exams. Lots of invigilation and a special day on Thursday when all the little ones in my tender care get personal health and social education seminars organised by yours truly. So I've been running around trying to fix that up as well as the set of exams which I am responsible for setting and marking.

At the last moment my really very nice head of dept decided that we were going to do both oral and aural exams for yr 10 (15-year-olds) in the lessons last week instead of scheduling them on the internal exam timetable for this week. It was a nightmare just getting it organised; doing the job and marking it was even worse. Needless to say, the kids were sullen about the short notice and lack of preparation.

Then I had a special church service to sing yesterday and a concert Saturday night, plus suffering from what was either a nasty cold or a moderate case of hay fever all week. Ooh it's been a fun few days. At least things are a little less hectic this week, but they will pick up with a vengeance soon, because my marking arrives at the very end of the exams and will have to be done over the weekend, when I incidentally have another concert, this time a choral society one.

Everyone say "awwwww". I'd feel a lot better for it. :(
word count: 310

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Awwwwwww Steph. :romance-grouphug: Did that help??

Sounds like an awful schedule. And here I am posting in the chat box that I have nothing to do! :oops: Actually I have A LOT to do but can't do it until I get my computer back to normal, and I'm waiting on a new XP disc because mine wouldn't work. So have my computer up on bare bones and Windows 2000 until I can get that done. Then have to reload all my software and redo the docs for TJ! And restore anything I happened to have saved. :( But even all that is nothing compared to your schedule Steph. Do you get a break soon I hope?

I think it also does not help things around here that TJ is very busy so not a lot of news coming through here either, that coming right at the end of the season for Bones gives us a very quiet spell I suppose!

Sharon
word count: 161
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

awwwwwww Steph! Hope that helps! :romance-smileyheart:
Take care!
Simone.
word count: 8

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

*joins in the mass chorus of "awwwww"s.*
Hope you get to relax at some point, Steph.

I've actually got the opposite problem. No job, currently, so all I do is rot in front of the computer. :|
word count: 38
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

It's never rotting when you're here with us, hon.

Seriously though, I am loath to complain about work (even while at times like this the bile spills out unbidden) because I know in my heart of hearts that in this climate I am very lucky to have any. I also know how frustrating it is to be applying and not getting anywhere. Hope something turns up soon.
word count: 69

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Awwwwwwww. *soothes Steph* ;)

:greetings-wavingyellow: to all.

Not much going on with me. I'm back after a week of house-and-dog-sitting for my brother and sister-in-law while they were away on a trip to Florida. It was really nice to get away for a week, because -- as much as I love my family -- I was starting to go stir-crazy at my grandmother's and needed some time to myself. It was great to roam about my brother's house, hang out with the dogs, sing around the kitchen (great acoustics! LOL), watch almost the entire first season of Bones on DVD, experiment with a couple of writing exercises, and *ahem* on my last night there on my own... play my brother's Guitar Hero video game, which was HILARIOUSLY FUN. And of course I continued my daily job search, which I will admit right now has not been going well.

Anyway, I'm back in town, I've got four short stories to write (as promised to some friends over on LiveJournal), and tomorrow I'll be taking a self-defense class with two of my aunts. Should be interesting.

Did anyone watch the Tonys last night? I don't often remember to watch that award show, and sometimes it makes me a little sad because I wish I could see all those wonderful plays and musicals, but it also makes me want to sing like a mad woman, which is always fun. Makes me want to get back into musical theatre and audition for something. :dance: Anyway, Neil Patrick Harris was a wonderful host, and his song at the end of the show was very funny; I was impressed with the performers from "Next To Normal"; the kid from "Billy Elliot" was a phenomenal dancer; and the cast of "Hair" was rockin' it! Good show. :mrgreen:

How have you all been? :D

P.S. Steph, I owe you a letter in the mail. :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 325
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Sherry!

I watched the Tony's last night. I watch them pretty much every year. I know what you mean about being sad because of missing all the great shows. I loved the speech from the three Billy Eliots, they were so nervous which is funny since they perform every night in front of huge audiences! Thought the performances were better this year than last year. And was THRILLED that Gregory Jbara won for Billy Eliot and then absolutely loved him when he dragged his wife up there with him.

Sorry that things aren't going well with the job search. I'm glad you were able to get away and relax though. And Guitar Hero is SOOOOOOO much fun isn't it? My nephew has it and I played it at Thanksgiving and Christmas when we were over at my sister's house. I didn't think I'd like it but even though I wasn't very good at it (my nephew can just whip right through all those songs on the hardest level...) I still really had fun playing it!

Sharon
word count: 185

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

I love Guitar Hero. :banana-guitar: I've got the whole World Tour kit, so I can play bass, guitar, or drums. It's a lot of fun. On the guitar, I've managed most of the songs on "medium" and a couple on "hard," but none on "expert" so far. On drums, I'm still playing on "easy." :P
word count: 57

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I barely manage to get through an easy song on guitar. Though I played it with the little hand thing for DS and did better at that for some reason.
word count: 30

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

Just a quick, completely random message 'cos I haven't been on for a while. Nothing very exciting happening but at least we had a few days nice weather although I had to choose the hottest day to get to work only to realise I'd forgotten, my flexi, proximity and computer access cards so had to get the train back home again, just what I needed in the heat.

It's football season ticket renewal time so thats £700 to pay out, just hope its worth it this season.

Looking forward to the Pretenders and Squeeze concert next month can't wait, will be a highlight not much happening at the mo. I was bored last weekend so applied to be on a new Saturday night TV show, a girl I used to work with was on it last week so I thought I'd give it a go, don't hold out much hope though. I had to ask Alex if I could put his mobile number as a contact on the form 'I'm not going on TV' was the response, I reassured him that wouldn't happen, honestly you'd think I was asking him to walk the plank or something!

Anyway off quizzing soon, I don't know why we bother there's usually only two or three of us against some teams of nine or ten and we never win, but you never know. Still at least it won't be a mega late one, last week the girls came with us 'cos we haven't seen each other for a while. It was great to see them but its an hours round trip driving to drop them off after and I didn't get home 'til nearly one in the morning.

Anyway, wish us luck

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 309

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hi! Guess I won't be here again before I'll leave for London, so goodbye to you all. I guess I will be back online June 20/21?!?

Martina, you will get a report then, too! :)

Have a nice week! Hope you gonna miss me a bit! :wink: :D

Take care!
Simone.
word count: 51

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Have a great time, Simone. One of these times you are in England we must arrange to meet up.

Jude, good to hear from you again. How did the quiz night go? My other half is an absolute gift at quiz nights, he has general knowledge that astounds us all.
word count: 50

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Steph/Simone

I actually completely forgot, I'm in London next week. I'm helping to run one of the information stalls at a conference down there on the Thursday, answering questions etc, perfect day, people and talking all day and I get to go to the interactive event that's taking place as well. It won't exactly be thrill a minute but its better than a normal day in work.

I'm hoping the weather is good 'cos the hotel where the event is, is right next to the Thames at Tower Bridge and I'm staying over the night before so it would be good to go for a stroll along the river.

The quiz went ok although we didn't win, didn't get a bad score though, our general knowledge isn't bad and I'm quite good at guessing. Best guess ever was at another quiz and the question was
'Who did Miss Piggy play in Muppet Baywatch?'
Now I can't say this is a film I've ever seen but I said to Alex that given the pig theme and the Baywatch connection the obvious answer would be Spamela Hamderson which apparently was right. Alex thought it was weird that I guessed it but to me that was the obvious answer, maybe I'm just odd!!!

Anyway, finally just wanted to say I managed to totally freak myself out the other day, I ate salmon by mistake and I can't believe how much it bothered me. Alex made it worse by taking great delight in calling me a 'kiss my a**e veggie' just to wind me up!

Anyway, hope everyone is good.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 288