Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Moonstar28
Fan

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Moonstar28 »

I am back baby!!!! It Emma here! I now live in Florida and am married to a US Air Force man so it's stressful... I work in a call center here in Fort Walton Beach booking people's dream vacation rental with ResortQuest. Give you a rough ide where I am... About 1hr away from the AL boarder!
I finally remembered my username and password thanks to my friend here, lol! Miss Germany and miss so much but I am still up to date with Bones!!
word count: 87

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

Yayyyy! My smile is SO big right now! She came back!
Feels a bit like the old "gang" is back even though I wasn't on here that often compared to other sides about other shows *GilmoreGirls* *coughs*
Last edited by Akarana on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 38
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Welcome back Emma! Nice to see you again. :D
word count: 8
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Moonstar28
Fan

Post by Moonstar28 »

Thanks! Once I get back into my computer at home I will update y'all on everything! :happy-cheerleaderkid:
word count: 17

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

This is so great, all these good friends returning..HI EMMA!
word count: 11
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

And I didn't even need to convince her. I was just like "I seem to be back, you're coming too?" and here she is ;) :D
word count: 26

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

So what are everyone's holiday plans then?

Mine are simple... Work... Lots of movies... Lots of chocolate! :D
word count: 18

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

I just got back from work and I think a week from today I will probably be bawling my eyes out.
For the last 6 years I have been working at a youth center (for the lack of a better word) helping kids with their homework, teaching them English and German, doing other stuff like baking, arts, sports... whatever. I started there as a volunteer, then part time and for the last two years that was my main job, full time. At the same time I was asked by a university if I could teach there. I started with a few hours, then a few more, then managed project, prepared an e-learning class... For the last two years I split my time between these two jobs. That was unbelievably stressful, at times frustrating but also kind of nice.
In September this year I had to decide though. The university wants me full time and the center wanted to keep my full time. I love the kids at the center, I really like my colleagues, but the new boss we have is such an a**hole. I never had a boss where I found it hard to be polite at least. So I decided to take the job at university (also they pay much better, have decent social offers and don't force me to work overtime without compensation all the time).
However now that my days at the center are counted and news that I am leaving started to leak the kids keep coming to me going "Why are you leaving us? Don't you wanna work with us anymore?" It's hard to explain an impossible choice to kids aged 6-9. One of the older ones (age 15), and I always work with the troubled kids who are hard to handle, came to me and said on Thursday "What do you think you're doing be leaving me here? What am I supposed to do when you're gone? You know I always act up when you're not around!" I am really at a loss for words and tried to explain that I am not the first one to leave and that his behavior should not be elated to me being there or not.
Anyway, today we were backing Christmas cookies with the small ones and usually they are talking about Christmas and presents. Today the only topic of conversation was why I am leaving and if they won't see me anymore and why I am not staying and where I will be working.
Monday the 21st we will have our annual Christmas celebration, which will also be my last day there. I pray that they will be too distracted by all the games and sweets to realize this, because if they start saying goodbye I will probably cry the whole time... sometimes being and adult and having to make decisions really sucks!
word count: 488

Moonstar28
Fan

Post by Moonstar28 »

HI all! I am back!
Okay, loads has happened! I got re-married to a US Air Force guy and we now live in the panhandle of Florida. It was a hell of a process to get my green card, so many legal hoops to jump through and also I still have to get my 10yr green card next year!
My cats are with me, Kitty has hyperthyroidism (we only found out through a blood test they did before her dental work, you wouldn't believe it, this cat weight 15 pounds)! Twinkie (the black ball of evil) has arthritis in her spine... she got... umm... backed up shall we say and an x-ray showed she didn't poop because it hurt her. We only knew when she stopped eating... $300 later and a visit to the emergency vet she is on pain killers for the rest of her life.
Anyways, we got stationed over here October of last year and I am still (and I really mean this) adjusting! I had to get my driver's license so now I am on the road (look out if you are in my area!), I work in a call center booking privately owned condos as well as some condo resort in Orlando (www.resortquest.com if interested, ask for Emma, lol). I have had some really mean calls, two of which made me cry!
The first one, the guy outright said at the beginning of the call that he hated my accent. I said that I was sorry to hear that (and not surprised, it was bound to happen eventually, working with Americans for three years now) and if he left it at that I would have been fine. But no, he asked where I was from and at the end of the call he said "well, Emma from London, England, I am glad to have you here for the summer". I answered "actually sir, I live here now", he said oh and hung up... I balled my eyes out!
The second one, a customer called saying that she booked the rental with another online travel agent (so like bookit.com or hotels.com, not directly with us) and she wanted to make changes but wasn't having any luck with them. I said that I was sorry to hear that and that I could not do anything to help her out since she had not booked directly with us, she was bound by their policies (which the company was saying was our policies, but that was bullhonkey). She then said to me "why are people like you doing in my country anyway ruining it for us!?!" and then hung up before I could respond. Again, I balled my eyes out.
I'm sorry that she had issues, but I seriously could do nothing for her, and I bet if she looked down her family tree, she was an immigrant from the European countries just like myself!
I also get a lot of calls and people don't believe that I am in the location, I hate using this excuse but I say "my husband is active duty and I moved here to be with him since he got assigned here" and then their tone just changes! Sorry, but I should not have to clarify why I am in this country to begin with, let alone use my husband's job to justify why I immigrated here! I am legal, I pay my taxes, health care, social security and all of that. Do you know how much it cost for me to get here? Do you know the stuff I had to do to prove I was not going to be a burden on your government? NO, then sorry but then you don't have an opinion (the people who asks my why I am here, none of you lot just to be clear, lol)! FYI if curious, my conditional 2 year green card cost me about $1,500 for the process, I gotta pay an additional $600 to get my ten year on next year.
The other calls, loads of people like my accent, I have had a few people telling me to burn in hell, those calls don't bother me, but when you attack my right to be in this country and my immigration status without knowing anything? That hurts! Some people asked me to prove I was where I say I was, they would ask me questions about the local area and of course I would answer them correctly, but still that isn't an excuse or a right to ask me these things... I am the person on the other end of the phone trying to help you out, why do you care if I am where I say I am?
Okay, rant over, lol! I miss so much from Germany and the UK. Not only my friends but my family too. I lost my step-mum earlier this year to cancer so I had to make a unexpected visit to the UK for the funeral. Now flying back with Delta however, the lady at the check-in desk when I handed her my green card interrogated me and I am like "this is like none of your business, I have a legit green card, why the hell do you care? And why is it any of your business?!?" I was lucky I got my new green card back in time to go to the funeral (the original one had my name spelt incorrectly by their fault, not mine, so it was free replacement).
Okay, I think that is everything. Hubby had surgery last Thursday so I am keeping an eye on him when I am not at work... He is doing pretty well and recovering good, so that's great!
Can't wait to catch up with everyone!
word count: 984

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

It really hurts me to read that ( I mean you told me before, but still). I always thought we over here in Germany have the monopoly on racist a**holes. (Then again the votes in Poland and France should have taught me otherwise) Wait until I'm coming for a visit in March. Then they'll be like "You are from GB, but what does that German chick with that weird accent want here?" ;) I honestly can't wait to see you guys again!
What's wrong with Ben? Did he get hurt or why the operation?

And Kitty having hyperthyroidism cracks me up because I know what she looks like :)
word count: 111

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

Emma, that's horrible :(

I work in an office/call centre environment too... so I know how horrible some customers can be. Some people just have absolutely no respect at all.

You shouldn't ever feel like you have to explain yourself or justify yourself to anyone. I am sorry that you've ever been made to feel sad because of the ignorance of idiots. I have been called all sorts over the phone and its not nice. I think I have grown thick skin to it now i've been doing it for that long.

Keep smiling bud, dont let the idiots get you down :)
word count: 106

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

Boy, what a week.
I didn't have to say goodbye one time but 4(!) times.
On Monday some colleagues surprised me with a breakfast/brunch. Thursday during the Christmas party for all employees I was given a speech by the boss and said goodbye to the rest of the colleagues who work at other places.
Then Saturday suddenly the colleagues I work with daily stood in front of my door and kidnapped me. They took me to a place where we played one of these "Exit games" (the whole group gets locked in and has to solve riddles in order to find the key to get out in a certain amount of time) and had dinner together.
And then today the whole Christmas party for the kids was one big setup and basically a goodbye party for me. The kids wore shirts with "Thank you Jessi", they performed a song for me with lyrics that had been written, I got huge paper flowers and presents. There was a photo station were the kids and colleagues could take pics with me... I was so busy I could't even start to get sad. Such an amazing experience.

Here are some pics if you wanna see what I saw today ;) (I hope it's ok I posted the links. I didn't want to have these huge pics in here and didn't know how to make them smaller)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/ ... G_2513.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/ ... G_2516.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/ ... G_2515.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/ ... G_2510.jpg
word count: 274

Sarah_402
Fan

Post by Sarah_402 »

Hi everyone! I'm Sarah

I'm 27 and live in Central Nebraska. I work for the State of Nebraska in a Medicaid call center. I too know all too well how mean and irrational callers can be. I work as A lead worker which means I answer questions and handle tough cases along with supervisor call backs. I'm single with no kids apart from my fur baby Leo who just turned 4 and is an English Setter. I'm also going to be an aunt for the second time in about 6 weeks and I'm beyond excited!

I'm from a large family, we just had my dad's side's family Christmas on Saturday with over 60 people present! I love being from a big family. I enjoy music and listen to most kinds with my favorite genre being alternative. I enjoy reading, movies and tv shows. I am a big movie buff and a sucker for a good love story like that of Hodgins and Angela. I've also recently restarted watching bones from episode one. I too agree with what seems to be a majority of you lovely ladies in thinking the relationship is a bit one sided. I'd give anything to find a guy like Hodgins and hopefully someday I will!

I've also recently taken control of my life and chosen to improve my health. So if anyone has some great pointers such as good workouts or workout music feel free to share!
word count: 252
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it's going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming.

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

Hi Sarah :)

Welcome to the family.

I am a huge movie buff too, so I am sure we will get along smashingly.
word count: 22

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, all!

I have been so absent here, it's like "who's Sinkwriter72"? LOL. But I just wanted to pop my head in and say hi at long last. It's going to take me a while to catch up with reading in the threads so for now I'll just say I hope you are all very well and having a great start to your 2016 and if not I sent big virtual hugs to anyone who needs 'em.

After finishing school and spending the past couple of years working as a contract web designer (which I will still continue to do because I need the work and my boss is awesome), I decided to also start a freelance web design business on the side, for extra money (because after being out of work and then going back to school, boy could I stand to build up some extra money, LOL).

Anyway, my big news (which Sharon has already been so kind about over on Facebook - thanks Sharon! xo) is that for the past many months I've been working to revamp my freelance business website and this past Friday I finally finally FINALLY finished it and put it live!

:text-woo:

It's been an insane amount of work along with constant tweaking, adding and adjusting (and maybe a dash of overly unhealthy perfectionism, LOL), but I can finally say it's done. Of course that ridiculous perfectionist in me is already thinking about the ways I want to tweak my portfolio page on that site, but for now I'm trying to ignore that voice and say, "I just accomplished something big that I've been working on for MONTHS. Savor the moment for a little while, for crying out loud! That other part doesn't need to be done anytime soon. Let it go and focus on other things for a while. Enjoy life, damn it!"

So... that's what I'm going to try to do for a little while. Read some books, watch some movies, catch up on Bones (yay!), spend some time doing creative stuff that doesn't have to do with work! And just allow myself to feel accomplished for a little while. It's not easy for me, but I'm going to try. :D

Anyway, here's the big proof that I'm finally finished with it!
http://www.sinkwebdesign.com/

Thank you for sharing in my celebration for a moment. :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 409
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Wow.
I want one!!
word count: 4

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

:text-thankyoublue:

xoxooooo
word count: 1

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

The website looks awesome Sherry!! Congratulations!! :D
word count: 6
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

:text-woo: Thank you, Kathy! :D
word count: 3

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Very very quick apologies to all - I'd intended to do some posting over my half term holiday but the school visit to Düsseldorf was so exhausting I didn't even manage to finish my school work this past weekend!
So, more when I can. Am enjoying the season so far...
word count: 52