The Random Thread

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
losersaxplayer
Fan

Re: The Random Thread

Post by losersaxplayer »

It has been ages since Brisinger came out (Spelling is prolly off on that).

I feel like I need to get acquainted with the text.

When did you first start reading the books?
word count: 33
"Never, Never, Never Quit" - Winston Churchill

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Interesting books conversation. I used to read quite a bit but it was mostly either books about American history, or as someone called it, chick lit. Now I'm kind of delving a bit into the sci-fi world. I really couldn't say what books are my favorite, though I probably would say To Kill a Mockingbird is one of them. I also really like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, and Gone with the Wind.

When school is going on I don't tend to read just for me anymore, and if I do it does tend to be the chick lit because as Anna said, it is light reading.

I think I'm going to see about those books TJ mentioned reading though, once I get through the seven that I just checked out on Friday from the library.

Sharon
word count: 145
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sharon!

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is one of my total touchstones! I always identified with the main character and I still often go back to it. It started when I was ill and off school and my mother, at her wits' end as to how to engage her voracious reader, began to pass on her own favourite reading. She probably regretted it when I called her upstairs soon after, to explain to me my first-ever meeting with the word 'ba***rd'.

Other touchstones include Eleanor Farjeon's Martin Pippin books (which, bless the Internet, I've recently been able to locate in a second-hand bookshop - they have been out of print for years).

My tendency is to read series of books, once I am involved with a main character. I like Anne of Green Gables and its many sequels, Mary Poppins, Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels, Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, Adrian Mole, the Scarlet Pimpernel, Harry Potter, Arthurian mythology, the Northern Lights trilogy and Artemis Fowl. That is in no particular order, not even chronological or preferential. The Jasper Fforde ones are the ones I have read most recently though. And they are hilarious.
word count: 199
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph! :) That is really great about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I didn't read it as a kid, I think I read it for the first time about 4 years ago actually because someone gave us a bunch of books. But I really enjoyed it and it definitely is one of my favorites!
word count: 54
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Brisingr ^^
And I started reading them the year Eragon came out.
My uncle bought it for me for my birthday, and I was a little hesitant.
It had a dragon on the front. I thought it was going to be some ridiculous, fantastical fairy-filled book with dragons talking to each other. hahaha.
But I fell in love with Paolini's writing style and dedication to his work.
word count: 68
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

losersaxplayer
Fan

Post by losersaxplayer »

That's cool. I read Earagon back in high school during chemistry. I had finished the Golden Compass trilogy and someone said that it was really good. Low and behold years later I'm anticipating the release of another book.
word count: 40

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Fun thread...I really need to make more time to read, but the problem is once I start a book I usually can't put it down and don't get anything done.

Old favorites:
-Gone With the Wind/ Scarlett
-Outlander series By Diana Gabaldon
-Pride and Prejudice I found a collectors edition w/four of Jane Austen's books in it for crazy cheap at a Borders not long ago, yay :)
-Born in Fire/Ice/Shame Trilogy by Nora Roberts (and why I'm convinced I need to move to Ireland)
-Harry Potter Series. I wish my kiddo would sit still long enough for us to read this together!

New Favorites:
-The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen (Rizzoli and Isles is based on her books)
-In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-FLeming
-The Nikki Heat books. :D

I also have a dozen books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read including the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, Master & the Margarita, and more but I can't.stop.reading Castle fanfiction. Sad. Hopefully, once I get it out of my system I can get back to it.
word count: 185
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

OMG ANG.
First of all, your icon is gorgeous. c:

Second, I'm only to Dragonfly in Amber, but I LOVE THESE BOOKS.
Absolutely adore Diana's writing style.
I just found the book, and learned I'm only halfway through it :c
I need to finish it so I can borrow the next book from my friend's mom. Hahaha.
word count: 61

losersaxplayer
Fan

Post by losersaxplayer »

Anyone else depressed Harry Potter is over? I grew up with those kids!
word count: 13

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Thanks on the pic Kayleigh :oops:

Cool to find another Jamie/Claire fan. I still haven't read all of them yet (I think there are 6 and 2 more in progress) as I need to do a re-read of them from the beginning at some point. It was so long in between releases I'd often forget what was going on. Since they're like a zillion pages each it's not like you can just skim them quickly :). Happy time traveling :D
word count: 83
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Losersaxplayer
Yeah, I was sad. But I'll own all the movies soon. And I own the books. So I'll watch and read for a long time.

Ang - I forgot how many there were. I need to get on ebay and see if I can't find them all. c:
word count: 51

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Uhhh a book discussion :-) must add to it!! would be wrong of me not to.

Of all those books you have mentioned is unknown to me..

Angela: Gone with the Wind, that's a must read! I've also read the others that have been written - Scarlett and Rhett Butler but I prefer GWTW.
Just got the Nikki Heat books - Naked Heat and Heat Wave, though I haven't read them yet, will soon! Which one of them has that famous sex scene? :oops:

As some of you know I've begun reading Kathy Reichs' books and I love them.. have to admit it's hard to read when the book is not translated into your own language but I accept the challange! I know that it will help me improving my English..
Got all of her books now and I just finished this morning - Grave Secrets, will begin Bare Bones when I get home tonight!

My favorite writer is John Grisham, love his books.. Danielle Steel is also a favorite - I'm a bit of a sucher for romance novels but I do love a good crime/drama novel..
Let me just mentioned that I got maybe over 200 books :o and that's including the ones at my parents, and it's growing..
Have thought of taking a break from buying new books because I got so many (50) that is still in my "to read pile"..
word count: 237

NyxStina
Fan

Post by NyxStina »

i only read the first two(Inheritance), is the third one out? If so, I'm going to get it soon.
word count: 21
Wise man not play leap frog with unicorn...

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Yeah, Nyx, the first 3 have been out for awhile.
The 4th is coming out this year.
word count: 17

NyxStina
Fan

Post by NyxStina »

Awesome! I loved the first two so I know I'll love the other two!

The movie adaption they tried to do for the first book, really sucked. In this instance the book was wayyyy better then the spinoff movie. Does anyone agree/disagree?

U think they needed to keep things in more order they kept flip-flopping the timelines.
word count: 60
Wise man not play leap frog with unicorn...

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Haha yeah. They have no hope of making the others into movies. The movie was terrible.
And brace yourself. I liked the third book, but it was a little... dry in several places.
Other than that, nothing but love for C. Paolini.
word count: 42

losersaxplayer
Fan

Post by losersaxplayer »

They butchered Eragon the movie. I didn't even buy it.

The worst part is, since it was such a dud, now we prolly wont get the other two. On the other hand they are doing spider man again we might have a chance.
word count: 44

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Haha I don't think so...
They left Katrina (sp?) out of the story completely, and a couple other important bits.. I can't see how they could press forward... Not that I want them to. lol
word count: 37

losersaxplayer
Fan

Post by losersaxplayer »

In a perfect awesome Eragon world, they would scrap it and do it again. :-)
word count: 14

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Can't wait for the new season of CASTLE to start! Just watched the first preview. The one where Kate's in the hospital. So looking forward to it!
word count: 29
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.