The Random Thread

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: The Random Thread

Post by stargazer »

Ooooh! I didn't know his actual name but he's pretty good too. I liked when he got thrown around by The Hulk in The Avengers! It was hilarious!! LOL!!
word count: 31
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh yeah, pretty good in War Horse as I recall. Haven't watched his other stuff though as far as I remember. I haven't watched Thor. It suffered from my total loathing of anything that doesn't follow mythology correctly! Which I'll readily admit is my fault and not that of any of the material I choose not to watch..
word count: 62
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

HanaTheAwesomeOne
Fan

Post by HanaTheAwesomeOne »

LOOOOOOOKIIIIII!!!! Lol.

word count: 2

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

For your amusement today...

I got up this morning, came down the stairs, rounded the corner and stopped short, exclaiming (if you'll please pardon the language), "Jesus H. Christ, that is disturbing, first thing in the morning!"

What did I see??

Go over to my LiveJournal to see it, HERE.

:D
word count: 51

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Haha!! That bunny doesn't look that scary to me! Although if you weren't it expecting it to be there, then I could see how it would startle you. :D
word count: 30
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

LOL, Kathy. I was half-awake and it was propped up so that it was the first thing I saw when I came into the doorway, so it felt like it was right in my face. Craziest thing. Just wasn't expecting that. :icon-mrgreen:
word count: 43

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

LOL, Sherry!
word count: 2
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Simone, you watched The X-Files, didn't you? Run for your life! The bunnies are coming to get us! ;)

:sci-fi-beamup:

(Heeheeeeeee.)
word count: 21

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Steph, this is totally random (and therefore fitting for this particular thread, haha). I was thinking about you today! I had an appointment with my therapist, and he's going to be gone for 2 weeks to Cambridge to visit friends and to attend some sort of big 1940's WWII aviation thing going on there (he loves planes and historical stuff). He started talking about the UK, and it just made me smile, because I thought of you, and how we got to hear your speaking voice during the last TJ chat, and I felt like I could hear it in that moment. :D

P.S. I hope you get to go meet TJ in London. That would be reeeeeally cool. :happy-cheerleaderkid:

Another bit of randomness: I got to see a bit of the Man in the Fallout Shelter yesterday on TV! And the first 10 minutes of the episode where they try to save the little boy who's been kidnapped. (Can't think of the episode title at the moment. Maybe "The Woman in the Van"? It's the one where Booth tells the kid the secret code word "Paladin," because that's the code the kid's father gave him to know that he was with someone safe.) Good stuff, all around. Makes me want to find some time for that full series re-watch! :dance:
word count: 227

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Simone, you watched The X-Files, didn't you? Run for your life! The bunnies are coming to get us! ;)

:sci-fi-beamup:
(Heeheeeeeee.)
:icon-mrgreen:

:animals-bunny: :scared-yipes: :scared-eek:
LOL, Sherry! Mysterious things happen in your house! ;-) Yep, we are not alone! :-D
:sci-fi-grayalien: :sci-fi-beamup:
word count: 36

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

All right, you well-read people out there, I need some recommendations! :D

Lately I've been reading books with unconventional, kick-ass women as lead characters (like Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or Katniss in The Hunger Games trilogy) and I've found myself feeling oddly empowered and more positive about myself when I surround myself with strong characters like that. I need more of that in my life, especially lately.

So it got me wondering: do you have other books, film or TV shows you'd recommend that have unusual and/or powerful female characters that you especially love? What are your favorites?

Any and all recommendations are welcome!
word count: 113
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Babylon 5!!!! Ivanova and sometimes Delenn are very tough! It isn't just about them of course but they are main characters. Its old though and not available Netflix so you'd have to get it some other way. Sorry, you must have known I'd push it on you-I've been pushing it for years! HAHAHA

I read a lot of books but I can't think of anything I've read lately with that sort of characters in it. I did just finish the Pulitzer Prize winner All the Light We Cannot See. I liked that a lot. It is about a girl and I'd say she is pretty tough but like Hunger Games tough. LOL

Editing because that is supposed to say NOT like Hunger Games tough. Tough in a more mental way-she goes through a lot.

Last edited by skftex on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 143
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hmm well Buffy is absolutely crammed with strong female characters, as is Joss Whedon's whole output - but of course you already know that; and as to reading...

I love Lessa in Anne McAffrey's early dragon books set on the planet Pern. She's really strong but very feminine too. And if you can get anywhere near disentangling the brilliantly numerous plotlines of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, Thursday herself is an amazing person (but start with the first one - The Eyre Affair. I began with number five and my brain took a while to get itself together again).

Sharon I really am going to check out B5. I haven't forgotten!
word count: 114

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thanks for the recommendations, ladies! I love inspiration from new places. :D

Feeling a bit overwhelmed this evening. I've been looking at various websites and reading articles about options for websites or software for time/project management and client invoicing. I think my brain is now full up with information to the point of way too much. I need to narrow down choices and just pick something. As I'm trying to teach myself, nothing is written in stone. I don't have to stick with something forever and ever. I can try it out; if I don't like it, I can move on to something else. But sometimes it's tough to just made a choice already! :confusion-seeingstars:
word count: 119

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

If anyone out there is into steam-punk/time travel (of the what-would-happen-IF variety) literature, I can recommend Mark Hodder's 'The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack'. It's intelligently structured, very well-written and slots very original time-messing ideas neatly into the lives of real historical Victorian personalities and urban legend. It's the first of two trilogies, and the beloved and I have both got through the first book in a bewildering timespan of a mere two days - it's unputdownable. We're now looking out for the second and third.
word count: 98

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

Am watching the Gilmore Girls again and I totally forgot about it, but Luke's brother in law in called TJ as well and I'm laughing so hard right now because Luke just went "TJ? He's a grown man with an etch-a sketch" :D
word count: 46
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

Akarana wrote:Am watching the Gilmore Girls again and I totally forgot about it, but Luke's brother in law in called TJ as well and I'm laughing so hard right now because Luke just went "TJ? He's a grown man with an etch-a sketch" :D
My best friend keeps trying to make me watch that show. Is it worth a watch then?
word count: 65

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

GILMORE GIRLS is so great! You should watch it! I could watch it over and over again! LOVE IT! :handgestures-thumbsup:
word count: 19

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

BEST SHOW EV-AH! (Sorry, I know Bones... but it's true ;) )
Gilmore Girls is just awesome. You can watch the same episode 30 times and still discover a joke you didn't get before
word count: 35
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

Sculder1013
Super Fan

Post by Sculder1013 »

I guess I should get it watched then before the revival comes out. At least then I can watch it and understand whats going on haha
word count: 26