The Random Thread

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Lauren :)
Fan

Re: The Random Thread

Post by Lauren :) »

*waves*

I'll be quiet ;)
word count: 5

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Or you could think of an entirely random thing to say!!

Btw Jude :clap: :clap: on the Reds' performance this evening. Impeccable.
word count: 20
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Mind you...Man U away this afternoon...scary.
word count: 8

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Steph

I'm officially concerned about this one, especially as Lucas is playing instead of Alonso, I have everything crossed.

Jude x
word count: 23

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

3-1 up so far and one of theirs sent off????!!!!
I think someone's about to step out of the shower at the beginning of the next series.

That's a Dallas reference, not a Bones one, for the benefit of our less aged viewers.

Lucas not done anything too bad that we can see. Keep 'em crossed. No, I don't care how painful it is.

>
>
>

Whatever you did, it worked! 4-1! Fantastic.
word count: 76

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

"Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart, and You'll Never Walk Alone"

4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1

Suffice it to say all is right with the world today.

Jude x
word count: 36

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

I suppose this belongs in the random thread. But I wanted to share it with you all because music is the other art that runs in my blood. I no longer play an instrument, but I still try my best to listen to a huge variety of music.

To answer any questions before anyone watches.

1. They have masks/costumes because in Japan it is considered quite rude to show off, the masks are a way of being humble among other things.

2. The bass that guy is playing is an electric contra bass (upright bass).

3. While it's undeniable that the two Violin players are amazing musicians, the thing that really is amazing about this is the Bassist. great violin players are a dime a dozen in comparison to how often you see a bassist this good.

The bassist in this video is playing something my father, a professional bassist for nearly 20 years, and musician for much longer says he could not play even if he was required to do so. Which means basically that even if he practiced at it, he probably wouldn't be able to play at this speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXMY8hAiifY

I hope everyone enjoys it, cause I'll probably be finding more music I'd like to randomly share with you all from time to time, if no one minds anyway. :3
word count: 234

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Lore! That was AWESOME! :clap:

I love the sound of stringed instruments, and you were right -- that bassist was amazing! And most of the time it was like he (or she) wasn't even looking at the bass, because the mask obscured him (or her), so I was really impressed with his technique. Actually, as someone who used to play the violin, I was really impressed with the violinists' techniques, too. Reminds me why I took up the violin in the first place, and makes me want to dust mine off. :D

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I loved listening to the song; it was gorgeous, and the bass part really jams! I hope you share more music with us. I'd really enjoy it. It's something I definitely wouldn't have found on my own, so I appreciate your posting it here.
word count: 146
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I know! It was new to me too! And quite extraordinary. I have never properly learned to use any instrument but my voice and this makes me castigate my self for failing to find time to do so. Thanks Lore for showing this to us! :clap:
word count: 45

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

In that case I will occasionally post music for you all :)

Being able to sing, is pretty amazing too, I could never do that.

You can always pick up a musical instrument, it's never to late to start! You'd probably have a bit of an edge since you can already sing.
word count: 53

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

ThyneAlone wrote:Didn't you like it, Simone? I really enjoyed that one, what with the lovely Dubai backdrop and the London bus and the horrifying planet eaters..and it had an Anomaly! I know you like Anomalies - or would that be just the Henshall kind?? ;)

If you promise to take the answer to the Random Thread (which is more geared to our interests outside TJ), I'll ask you...what's your favourite DW ep?
Oh, yes Steph - the "Random Thread"! Forgot that! Sorry!

OK, my favourite Doctor Who episode. That's "DOOMSDAY"! Even if I cry my eyes out every time - I LOVE THAT ONE! Very close second: "JOURNEY'S END"! I also love to re-watch "Forest Of The Dead", "The Satan Pit", "Utopia" and "School Reunion". What's your favourite?

Well, DW - "Planet Of The Dead" was ok. Wasn't boring or so. And helped me distracting myself, because I got a little panic about my decision to buy a new car.
And how can you not enjoy watching David for about an hour! :wink: Loved the part with Melcom! Didn't like Christina so much. When The Doctor got in the bus with the chocolate - I think it was an Easter Egg?! - and said to her "Happy Easter" that made me smile. I thought, well that never happend to me in London! :wink: :)

Oh it's late! I'll go to bed now. My panic attack is over - maybe because I'm really tired. Maybe we can continue to talk about this later. Then I may have more thoughts about it!

Simone.
word count: 265
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

I'd almost be able to identify you guys by font color, but for some reason I can't!

Anyway it's been a few weeks and I think I've made my quota on posting things pertinent-ish to TJ, so I figured I'd share a new song with you all.

Please read before clicking like last time! :D

1. The video is 2 hours, I'm not intending for anyone to watch all of that unless they want to!
2. The song I'm sharing is the first song played, it ends around 4.30 or so.
3. Philip Glass writes music that evolves very slowly, if you don't like seemingly repetitive music, you probably won't like this song!
4. Koyaanisqatsi means "life out of balance" in Hopi.

Some warnings.

If you chose to watch this whole video, be prepared to watch it in pieces, I think it's worth it, but difficult to do in one sitting. It's a visual essay about the way humanity lives.

Be prepared to feel a little uneasy by some of the music+imagery combination. There is nothing explicit, violent, or sexual in this film, but it uses a visual/audio vocabulary that will give you chills on occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sps6C9u7ras
word count: 217

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I have to admit that Philip Glass, to whom I have given ample chance to rock my world, does not succeed in doing so! Nevertheless I will look in on this on the strength of that unusual vision you gave us last time, Lore, and let you know what I think.

Simone, you like the weepies, not the action adventure, don't you? ;) Maybe with a bit of Dalek action?? I like those too, but I have a strong fondness for the stunningly scary and well-written 2-parters such as The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead and Human Nature/The Family of Blood.

Jude, I have stopped watching the Chelsea match because it's killing me. We need 2 goals in 2 minutes to stay in this and it's not gonna happen, great fightback though!
word count: 145

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

ThyneAlone wrote:
Simone, you like the weepies, not the action adventure, don't you? ;) Maybe with a bit of Dalek action?? I like those too, but I have a strong fondness for the stunningly scary and well-written 2-parters such as The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead and Human Nature/The Family of Blood.
Yeah, you're right, Steph! But hey, there's action in this episodes, too! Cybermen and Daleks - always great!
I love Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead, too!

No other thoughts today!

Good night!
Simone.
word count: 100
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Yeah, Philip Glass seems to be the sort that makes music people either like...or do not. lol, it has it's own special category of weird at any rate!

I like some of what he has made, and dislike some of what he has made that said I have not heard a whole lot of his productions, just everything in Koyaanisqatsi, and a few nice piano pieces.

I'd love to talk tv with you guys, but I haven't regularly watched any tv in at least 10 years (nor do I own one that works). Bones just caught my eye every time I ever saw it while visiting family, and I only started watching it regularly when I found out Fox puts it online! So I guess technically I watch monitor? lol
word count: 134

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Lore, I sincerely hope you are not feeling on the fringes because some of us have different interests from each other (apart from TJ that is!!). The whole joy of this board is the multiplicity of interests and enthusiasms, and I really do feel I learn from all my friends here about culture and, often, things I haven't tried before. That's one reason why your contributions here are valuable. Don't forget that!
word count: 75

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Nah, I'm not feeling out on the fridges so to speak, more "man I wish I could add something to that other discussion but I don't know anything about TV!"

I suppose I can ask if any of you have seen Babylon 5, or Firefly. :P

I'm the sort that has many many interests, and will often start trying to worm my way into new ones somehow or another. I'm just acknowledging in my own weird way I'm interested but it's an area I can't really talk about due to lack of experience with it.
word count: 101

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*runs in* Did someone say the magic word, Firefly?? :mrgreen: I am more than happy to discuss that show! LOL.

Thanks for the Philip Glass piece. I admit, I haven't heard his stuff since music history in college (I think my professor played us one of his most unusual piano pieces). It's an unusual style, for sure. But I liked the piece you offered. I had it playing in the background as I read my emails, and it kind of lulled me with that low, throaty, repetition of the phrase.

Anyway, I'm fascinated by it. Like Steph says, it's great to be exposed to stuff we normally might not see or hear. Learning about each other and about a variety of cultural and artistic options is really fun. Thanks again for posting the link!
word count: 137
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hey Lore, I could discuss Babylon 5 with you! I've seen them all and numerous times. But now I have to go to class but still anytime you want to talk B5 I'm here! :D

word count: 36
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sorry Lore!
Youtube tells me: 'This video is not available in your country' :snooty: .

Say what?

That has never, ever happened to me before on youtube. I didn't even know it could! :x :evil:
word count: 32