The Introduce Yourself Thread - Hello everyone!

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

Hi saburcat you will enjoy fanfiction.I didn't know about it either,but after I joined TV.Com the girls were wonderful about giving help and also advice.We have several really talented writers in our group.I wasn't sure how it worked but I found it fun. :o
word count: 50

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

saburcat wrote: I haven't heard of the fanfic.net site, but I'll have to check it out when I'm at home and have some time. I'm not sure how I feel about fan fiction, to be honest, because I've never read any! I'm a writer too though, and I never thought to write about characters I enjoy on TV. It's opening up a lot of possibilities for me though. So I'll have to hop over there and check it out!

Weez
Just a little advance warning, Weez... at fanfiction.net the authors give their stories different ratings based on content. K is for all readers, T might be a little edgier, and M fiction is sexually explicit. So, depending on your sensibilities, don't be too shocked when you read the M stuff for the first time.
So go forth and read, and have fun!
word count: 153
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

begolden wrote:

Just a little advance warning, Weez... at fanfiction.net the authors give their stories different ratings based on content. K is for all readers, T might be a little edgier, and M fiction is sexually explicit. So, depending on your sensibilities, don't be too shocked when you read the M stuff for the first time.
So go forth and read, and have fun!
Good advice there - there is something in fanfiction for everybody, but by its sheer volume, there is bound to be some on themes or alternative universes that you dislike and there is bound to be a great deal of undeniable trash as well as some superb writing. After all, some people are just offloading fantasies and some are trying to improve their craft, and there is a whole range of material in between! Take your time when you dip your toe in!
word count: 148

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

That's one of the problems with fanfiction--there's just so much of it, with new material being generated and posted every day. However, if you click on "Communities" in the upper right hand corner, you can find archives of fiction based on Jack and Angela. Obviously, most of the stuff you'll come across is Brennan and Booth, so using the "Communities" feature is a good way to start.
word count: 71

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

begolden wrote:
ThyneAlone wrote:I'm sorry, Rebecca, I just feel you deserve a wider readership. I do appreciate the fact that the man himself may be looking in here, but personally, if I were a down-to-earth actor doing all sorts of excellent and varied work, I wouldn't be interested in reading fanfic about one of my characters. Apologies for removing the bushel from your light. Honest!
No worries Steph, I feel flattered. It's nice to know we have several authors on this thread--where are you, by the way, Kimber?

Somehow I doubt TJ would be too offended... after all, it's straight up romance with Hodgins and Angela and he always gets the girl! Perhaps he would be flattered as well that we think of his character in such a light...
I know, I know. I've been MIA, I'm sorry! I guess I've just been enjoying the lovely weather outdoors a bit too much. Don't forget that in a little less than 6 months, my beautiful country will be covered in snow and experiencing temps such as -40C. Brr. I will take the sun and heat while I can! :)

I see I missed a great conversation re: fanfics. And I agree that we have some totally awesome writers in our fandom here! I would like to HIGHLY recommend Rebecca's writing to anyone interested! I had never really read "erotic"/adult fic before, but she totally hooked me! And btw, Rebecca, you DO have a story that needs finishing, right?? What's the hold up?!

I agree that we need more J/A fics out there, though. BB are great, but c'mon ... Hodgela are just as good (if not better). Plus, they're actually a COUPLE, so that must count for something. I found it funny, though, and I think Rebecca mentioned it over on the tv.com forum, that the Hodgela themed stories don't get as many comments (I think my tops is around 10, sadly) - whereas the BB ones (even ones that contain horrid grammar or ideas) get over 100!

So if there are any lurking Hodgela writers out there ... get writing/posting over at ff.net! Otherwise, we will have to rely on Rebecca, Willowwood, Jo, DianaOfTheCrossways, myself, and Callieach (OddEnthusiasms over on ff.net). Which reminds me, Will, we NEED to convince Callie to come on over here and join us when she gets back from her vacation!
word count: 414

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

KimberHodgela wrote:And btw, Rebecca, you DO have a story that needs finishing, right?? What's the hold up?!
It's a paradox. Because I have all the time in the world to write right now, I can't get inspired. When I am back at work and have no time, the muse will return. I always work better under a time constraint anyways, so be patient--I'm back at work in a week. :cry:
KimberHodgela wrote:I agree that we need more J/A fics out there, though. BB are great, but c'mon ... Hodgela are just as good (if not better). Plus, they're actually a COUPLE, so that must count for something. I found it funny, though, and I think Rebecca mentioned it over on the tv.com forum, that the Hodgela themed stories don't get as many comments (I think my tops is around 10, sadly) - whereas the BB ones (even ones that contain horrid grammar or ideas) get over 100!
That's because there are legions of 13 year old B/B fans writing very bad fanfic, and legions more reading them and not having a clue just how dreadfully written they are.
word count: 199

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I think you'll find that where there are few comments they are longer and more thoughtful. Good writing does draw a discriminating, if less wide, readership. And also, of course, when you're writing something a bit outside the mainstream, people don't access it as much.

As a teacher, I am glad there are motivations for young people to discover the pleasures of reading and creative writing. The media is widely criticised, but can actually help; our favourite TV/films lead us into books around the subject - look at the number of Kathy Reichs readers - and the Internet gives us a huge amount of material. OK the latter mixes the pearls in with the dung, but I think a more discriminatory eye comes with experience and maturity. Although some are prodigiously talented and appreciative at a very young age.
word count: 141

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

All very true, Steph and Rebecca. I especially agree with you, Steph, about TV/movies leading to books, and turning younger viewers (and older ones too) onto reading. I know that if I see a movie that sounds interesting, or if I know it's based on a book, I'll always try and read the book first. That was the case with Bones - I actually read my first KR novel because it sounded interesting, and then decided I should look into the show. (This was early S2).

Also, had to laugh when I read about 13 year olds writing the Bones fics over at ff.net, Rebecca. I think that's very, very true. In "my day" (I know I'm the baby here, so it sounds funny for me to speak as though I'm 80), when I started writing fanfic, it probably wasn't the best in the world either. Well at least the early early stuff. By the time the Internet was around and in everyone's homes, it was much easier to get my stuff out and read. I guess it's just like anything else out there - people are due their freedoms, and as such - if we know it's horrid, and don't want to read it, then we won't!

Also, Rebecca ... I understand the frustration with inspiration very well. We don't tend to get along at all. I get inspired at odd times, like when I'm driving, in the shower, working, or when I have classes and have exams or something. I used to find that, when I was in school, I would almost never get anything written during summer break. It was always during exam time (I even wrote a poem and short story - both of which were published - during my high school Provincial English Exam!). So I will wait, very patiently, for the return of your awesome fic. (Although I'm sad you'll be going back to work in 1 week. Where did the summer go??).
word count: 340

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

Kimber I am with you on the book/film issue.I do tend to be a reader first,but if a film is based on a book I will try and find it.Then I gnash my teeth when the novel is virtually rewritten .And if I am looking forward to a particular scene (either way) that makes me very cross indeed.And then we have all the mistakes in period/costumes/speech etc. :( Sometimes it feels as if they only keep the title,drives me potty.Sorry that is a hobbyhorse of mine-will stopping ranting and dismount :roll:
word count: 99

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

Forgot to say that I can understand R. that you work under pressure.If I have a task to perform and I have to work quickly that seems to work best.If I have time it gets put back quite a while. Like the minutes of the last meeting I attended-Bad,bad Victoria :lol:
word count: 54

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'm exactly the same! Frankly I know I will go to the week before returning having done nothing, then suddenly zip into action. Pressure just works for me. Always makes me feel ill-disciplined though!
word count: 36

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

So, I'm not the only one who does her best work under duress! LOL!

And as for young people and writing, I do agree that it's wonderful that they are inspired to try. I'm just irritated at them for not using the spellcheck feature on their word processing program! Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I'm also appalled by children who try to write sex scenes when they obviously have no business doing so at their age!
word count: 82

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah well, that is a different kettle of fish. That wasn't exactly what I meant by 'inspiration'! Sadly some of these individuals have precocious experience. I do think growing up seems to happen awfully quickly now (though it must be said that adulthood has been thrust on people very early throughout history. It's not that long since school-leaving took place at 13 or 14; of course wars force children into premature responsibilities as well). I'm trying to remember when I first wrote down anything about sex - must have been well before I ever had any! I was probably about 16. Magazines were rather less lurid and in-your-face at that time!

As far as the spellcheck etc goes. It seems to me that as a writer one needs to be very familiar and at home with the spelling and grammar rules before trying to break out of them. As a linguist I find it hard that pupils can't use dictionaries to their advantage and that they attempt to use Net translators without any idea of what rubbish results from a) not being able to say what part of speech a word is and b) typing in a misspelling!
word count: 204

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

There do seem to be an awful lot of young writers out there! Also young viewers. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. But I find that often when I meet a Bones/Hodgela fan online, they are generally younger. (And for me, "under 20" constitutes young! Though I'm talking more about the 12-15 age range). I guess it's one of those things that is a sign of the changing times! When I was a young teen, I was into more adult shows, too, but I guess we didn't have the Internet around to chat with others.

A lot of those same young people are writers - and though some of them are really good (such as my friend, and Wil's, "Callieach"), some of them are also really, really awful. Spelling, grammar ... it seems that in this day and age, it's not a big thing. And while Spellcheck programs do provide some assistance, they are quite often useless! Betaing seems to be the way to go, as it is more useful to have an actual person read your work, and be able to help you out with different aspects. (And I don't get beta'd nearly half as often as I should!!).
word count: 212

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

?
What's betaing, is that like proofreading? Because I am really good at that. Husband gets very annoyed because he gets me to proofread his concert programmes and the newsletter he does for our son's footie team - and despite his incredible care, I always spot something really minor and irritating!!
word count: 51

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

ThyneAlone wrote:What's betaing, is that like proofreading?
Yeah that's right. I have to admit that punctuation/grammar is probably one of my biggest down falls with my writing, but it’s also something that I hope is improving with everything new that I write. Of course, it’s also a great help to have a beta that isn’t afraid to tell you how much something sucks or how much of an idiot you look lol.

I find (and am secretly glad) that many of the younger writers tend to be the BB shippers, and whilst they aren't the best at times, I personally can't criticise them for having a go (I just avoid reading it with a 20-foot pole lol). I've been writing fic since I was about 16 (started with Buffy fic) and well going back and reading some of that today rotflmao I cannot believe how bad I was, and am glad that with time, experience (and 3 years at uni lol) my writings improved and hope that it will continue to do so as I get older. After all in 5 or 10 years time those 'young' writers will be the same as us today criticising the stuff by teenagers that they're reading for how much it sucks *snort*. Now it may be due to my own "troubles" with grammar/punctuation but the problem that stands out more commonly for me in fic is OOC-ness, and it is one of the things that really drives me insane especially where Angela and Jack are concerned i mean the people do actually watch the show don't they?? they do know how the characters talk and act, right?? Is it really that difficult to portray.

Yet as Kimber has already mentioned there are also the talented 15 year olds out there such as our good friend 'callieach' whose fic I would surely go insane without lol.

Finally, though, I have to admit that i am in serious need of new Hodgela fic to read, and have read and re-read everyone i can manage to get my hands one. Considering the amount of BB fic, out there it is somewhat depressing.
word count: 372
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

willowwood wrote:
ThyneAlone wrote:What's betaing, is that like proofreading?
Yeah that's right. I have to admit that punctuation/grammar is probably one of my biggest down falls with my writing, but it’s also something that I hope is improving with everything new that I write. Of course, it’s also a great help to have a beta that isn’t afraid to tell you how much something sucks or how much of an idiot you look lol.

Finally, though, I have to admit that i am in serious need of new Hodgela fic to read, and have read and re-read everyone i can manage to get my hands one. Considering the amount of BB fic, out there it is somewhat depressing.
Yep, Wil already spoke it, but betaing is when you have an actual proofreader - a "human reader" you might say. I just have never done it, before joining fandoms and writing for ficathons, where it is required. However, now that I have done that, I may just have to beta more. It's really, really great, rewarding, and it makes me feel all tingly and talented. You get first hand comments, and constructive criticism.

I'm like Wil, I'm sometimes not so good on the grammar. At least with the tenses and soforth. The "forms" of words, I'm good on, and I get very, very upset with the "their" "they're" and "there" type of errors! Especially now when I read them! Punctuation I'm usually alright with, but with grammar ... I tend to slip. And of course, Spellcheck doesn't fix that for you. Also, I'm a very fast typer, and as such, my accuracy sometimes suffers. I tend to fall into the trap of writing "the" instead of "they" and other silly errors, that just come out because my brain can't keep up with my fingers!

And yes - we most definitely need some new fanfic of the J/A variety!!!
word count: 332

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

It sounds like superb training for 'proper' writing. I have to say that spelling, grammar and anything to do with forms of language and language development are not only a genuine interest for me but a major forte. I have my weaknesses - I am not a fast typer, for instance! - but not in those areas. There aren't many things I will boast about, but my grammar, honed on lots of different modern languages, is second to none. Colleagues at work always come to me with any questions they have about it and I am now proofreading and correcting their comments on reports as well (this is one of the onuses of being a Head of Year. You have to read all the reports, even those of pupils you don't teach). I suppose it would be unthinkable for a languages teacher to be unsure about any of this!
word count: 149

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

As this is one of our welcome threads, I would like to say that, rather hoping this is not a breach of etiquette, I have just done a quick memberlist check and discovered we have a great new member called ardaiel. I mention her because she has an absolutely fabulous MySpace and I love getting to know people via their MySpaces even though I don't have one (son no1 has made it very clear that, being altogether too old, he does NOT want me joining up, and, further, he does NOT want me to look in on his Space or his friends'. Hmmph. What's the point if you can't look over people's shoulders from time to time? And doesn't he know he can make it private if he really wants to avoid me??).

I digress as usual. Ardaiel, welcome, it's great to have you here. Don't feel pressured to post if you don't want to, I'm Steph, just wanted to say hi.
word count: 171

Snowflake Shona
Fan

Welcome2

Post by Snowflake Shona »

Hello! Thank you for the invite to the site, and I love what you're doing. Jack is one of my favourite characters and I love the Jack/Angela relationship (I'm the manager of Odd-Enthusiam.org). I think I will enjoy being on this site. and forum!
word count: 49
LOVE
SNOWFLAKE SHONA

Visit Odd-Enthusiasm.org