Your aliases - do I know you?

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Your aliases - do I know you?

Post by ThyneAlone »

This is a kind of sub-welcome thread. Just curious whether I've seen any fellow members here elsewhere, maybe under a different name. I do visit quite a few sites, but at present only have membership of this one and the tv.com forum. Where do you lot hang out and/or post when you're not here for your TJ fixes? Are you on LJ? Boneyard? Anti-Boneyard? Frequent youtube or MySpace/Facebook contributor? A fanfic writer? Just interested. You might belong somewhere I'd like to check out! Let me know.
word count: 94

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hey, you know me, Steph!

I'm also known as gldnbonesfan (Live Journal), goldenbe1 (tv.com), gldnwrtr (fanfiction.net), and begolden (geocaching.com--a site completely unrelated to tv fandom)

Anyone else?
word count: 32
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hmm... good question. Lemme think. ;)

Well, on Television Without Pity, I'm Sinkwriter72, where I frequent the episode commentary threads for Prison Break, for the most part. But I'll visit other shows' episode threads if I have something I want to say -- I've visited the episode commentaries for Gilmore Girls, House, The West Wing, and Heroes, but those are rare (and in some cases, now no longer airing).

On yahoo, I'm part of a few different West Wing groups (as curviegirl72) -- that's actually what got me started. I'd never seen The West Wing before, even though a friend said its style and humor seemed right up my alley; I just didn't think a politically-themed television program would speak to me. I thought it might annoy me, especially if it felt like the program was telling me how to think. Maybe I simply wasn't ready to watch it, when she first recommended it.

But one day I was in the middle of unpacking in my new apartment, and had the TV on in the background for noise to distract me as I unpacked, and Bravo had a West Wing marathon going on that day. I watched part of an episode while taking a cold-beverage-break, and suddenly realized I was getting less unpacking done and more watching of the show. *GRIN*

My friend Liz was right -- the show's humor and style really did speak to me. And I found myself gaining a level of respect for those who work in public service, and a better understanding of how they're probably not easy jobs (and now I can see why they can't get a lot done sometimes!). As well, I gained a level of respect for the position of the President, even when I don't agree with his political views.

Anyway, I eventually went online to look up what season they were currently airing on NBC, and how many episodes I'd missed, and where in the order of episodes were the ones that I'd seen that day on Bravo. That's when I discovered this whole crazy world of fan fiction. I'd never heard of such a thing before.

At first, it seemed baffling, just the sheer volume of stories written out there, in so many different styles and approaches. But when I thought about it, I could understand how someone might feel motivated to try their hand at writing a scene or a short story to try to capture something that felt missing from the original program, maybe something that didn't get enough attention because there wasn't time or it had to be cut or the writers got sloppy or it just wasn't the direction they wanted to take, etc.

Still, I wasn't motivated to try writing fan fiction myself until I saw two things: one, an incredibly moving and beautifully written episode of The West Wing entitled "In Excelsis Deo" (from season 1); and two, an interview with one of the featured actors from that episode, Richard Schiff, who expressed how that episode had touched him and changed him in certain ways. It was very poignant, and really affected me. I watched the episode a second time, and -- I know this sounds really psychotic -- but it was like his character spoke to me. Not literally, LOL ... I mean, it was like, there was something about the character that was left unspoken in that episode, and I suddenly felt compelled to explore it.

I sat down on a Saturday morning around 11 AM, and wrote for about nine hours straight (ok, yes, there were bathroom and stretching breaks, as well as one break for food). I hadn't written anything in probably four or five years, but on that day, in that moment, I felt I needed to return to writing and say something for this character. And I was amazed to find how much I enjoyed writing again, and realized how much I'd missed it as part of my regular life.

Anyway, in my exploration of online West Wing sites, I found a few yahoo groups to which people posted regular fan fiction, as well as discuss the show and episodes themselves: WestWingFanFic, CJTobyFanFic, S_W_connection, and TobysTarts2. Once I'd gotten to know the people on those sites a little better, I felt braver about sharing my story with them. It got a positive response, so I ended up writing two more stories (in different places in the canon of the program, in different styles) and a couple of tiny 155-word pieces.

It became this sort of personal writing challenge, really, to explore character and mood, and return to writing after so long but under the vow to simply play and experiment and see what spoke to me most. No pressure, just fun and an opportunity for learning to improve my writing, bit by bit.

The only other area for which I've written fan fiction is one piece for The X-Files. It was a sort-of 'Christmas gift' challenge from someone else, and as a writer I was curious so I just couldn't say no, and decided to give it my best shot. It's a short story in the POV of Alex Krycek, definitely someone whose head was difficult to explore (since he's such an enigmatic character on the show, as well as a bit ruthless and dangerous, and all sorts of things that I am not).

If you're interested in reading any of my stories, let me know. I'm currently editing one that is already online on a couple of sites, but I want to sharpen the writing now that I've learned more and can more readily see where areas could be improved. I'm a perfectionist, so I'll probably end up editing all of them. But I'm not sure if I'll touch that first WW piece I wrote -- sure, there are definitely ways it could be improved, but it was my first jaunt back into the writing realm and it's such a personal piece to me that I'm not sure I could stand to change it.

Anyway, other than those sites, I usually just browse about -- especially for West Wing, X-Files, Buffy/Angel/Firefly, and now Bones (though I only recently started looking around for Bones sites, so if you have favorite recommendations, please don't hesitate to post links). Of course, as shows go off the air, it's difficult to find good conversation threads to discuss character development or writing or the episodes themselves. There's definitely a drop in conversation on those West Wing sites now that it's done. So I hope we can have some decent chats about Bones this season. :D

PS. My friend Susan (aka Bardsmaid, the brilliant XF fan fic writer) has been trying to get me to start my own LJ, but I just haven't done it yet. I want to find a good name for my site, as well as a good idea of what I'd like to post on it. Do any of you have LJs?

PS, again. What's Boneyard and Anti-Boneyard?
word count: 1216

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Ooops! Forgot one, because it's been a while since I've visited the site:

For Harry Potter fan fiction and discussions about the books and films, I really like Sugar Quill. Lots of great discussion going on there. I'm Morgan Willowby on that site -- just a playful way of joining in on the fun of that magical world of books and characters and film.
word count: 66
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

sapphiresilt
Fan

Post by sapphiresilt »

Hello, everyone. I'm Eileen, and I'm known as jackandangela at tv.com, hodginsgirl at fox.com (although I haven't posted there since the end of last season), and I'm sapphiresilt here, on LJ, and at ff.net. I never dreamed of joining forums like these until I fell in love with Jack on "Bones" during Season 1 and beyond! :D
word count: 63

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

I think most of you gals know how to find me elsewhere, but just in case ...

I'm IHeartHodgela over at both fanfic.net (I actively write for Bones, but have also written for "oldies" like Dawson's Creek, La Femme Nikita, and Buffy. Also note that if you venture over there, I write SLASH, too. Just so you're all warned...) as well as tv.com's forum. I am most active over on LJ, where I'm KimberKatie. Whoops ... also forgot I'm IHeartHodgela on MySpace, too, but I'm not too active there. I was over at the Boneyard, as Hodgela4Ever, but had a bad experience and am self-banned now.
word count: 114
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thanks for providing your links, ladies.

I'll send you feedback as soon as I get a chance to give your works a read-through. Looking forward to it. :)
word count: 29

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote: PS, again. What's Boneyard and Anti-Boneyard?

Oh right; Boneyard is the official forum at fox.com. Unfortunately, as Kimber has indicated, some of its frequenters can be pretty bitchy and hurtful, resulting in vitriol rather than reasoned debate. But, all that aside, there was a huge revolt over there sometime last year when mods apparently went completely OTT and started a perceived power-crazed deletion of anything they didn't like or agree with. I say 'perceived' because I have not seen both sides of the argument and I try not to be judgmental. Nevertheless, the facts of the matter are that there was a mass exodus of a lot of genuine, interested and thoroughly exasperated fans of the show and that some of them subsequently set up the rival Anti Boneyard (will check the url and put it in the links thread if you're intrigued!).

As far as intelligent ep discussion goes, you can see major quality on the jack and angela thread (not the Spoiler one - the now insufficiently-updated, often 2nd page one - that's cos we are all over here such a lot) at the tv.com Bones forum, see aforementioned links thread. Rebecca, Kimber, Eileen, Victoria and I - I'm oddenthusiast there btw - whiled away the Bones-barren summer by watching one S1 ep a week and commenting on it at length. I recommend it as a read, my friends here (and there) are articulate and interesting. In fact it's something I think you'd be good at too!

Why S1? well, I have detailed elsewhere my difficulties actually watching S2 once we lost our Sky feed, and by concentrating on S1 we could be fairly certain most of us had access. Sadly I haven't time to do it now - I actually haven't got the time to do this now, I have a huge pile of coursework drafts to mark before Monday - but it was fun.
word count: 329

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hello there, ladies and gentlemen. :D How are you all this fine Sunday evening?

Just wanted to mention that I finally -- finally! -- set up my own LiveJournal page. It took me a long time because I kept thinking I wanted the name to be 'perfect' and everything to be just right; therefore, I kept stalling the completion of an actual setup. Finally, a friend of mine gently reminded me that this wouldn't be my final mark on the online world and it didn't have to be perfect or even a name or theme I'd keep forever. Which, of course, I knew deep down, but the perfectionist in the back of my brain wouldn't let go of the need to make things 'just right' before moving forward. A lesson I apparently need to keep learning, over and over again. ;)

Anyway, the point is, I now have a LiveJournal page. I know! Exciting, right? Hee.

I haven't yet posted my first entry (hey, I said letting go and learning the 'stop the perfectionism' lesson was going to take a while, LOL), but the basic setup is there, and I'm looking forward to playing some more.

If you want to check it out, here's the link:

http://sinkwriter.livejournal.com/

Also, if any of you have recommendations as to good Bones LJ communities I should add to my communities/links section, please let me know. I welcome any advice and suggestions you may offer. Thanks!

Sherry
word count: 249

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ooh, Sherry, this is looking promising! Great outlet for your writing! But where on earth are you finding the time?

I'm going to put you into our links thread. Actually, the links thread might be a good source for you to check. It certainly includes the majority of the sites I visit.

Well done for this, I hope to visit often.
word count: 62

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Ooh, Sherry, this is looking promising! Great outlet for your writing! But where on earth are you finding the time?
Hee.

Well, I haven't written anything on the LJ yet, so I'm not sure I have found the time, LOL.

But I think after the last three weeks of insanity at work, I just really needed to find some time to play and be creative and do something other than work-related 'stuff.' In fact, I didn't have time all week -- I've been mulling over the possibilities for this LJ for months -- but on Sunday morning I decided to give it a go and spent way too much time on the computer, clicking about and experimenting with the pages. Then I forced myself to take a break to get things done around the apartment -- cleaned the kitchen and did a couple loads of laundry -- and went back to the LJ project a little later in the day, to finetune and find my way around the site some more.

What you see when you click on the link is the result of my playing around. Now I actually need to find the time to put something ON IT. *GRIN*

I hope it becomes an outlet for my writing, whether for fiction or simply for 'life' commentary. That is my goal.

Thanks for being so positive and encouraging about it!

And thanks for the rec about the links thread. I'll definitely take a look at the sources info provided there. :D
word count: 253

PrettyIllusions
Fan

Post by PrettyIllusions »

Well my name is Amber, I go by Pretty.Illusions on myspace and I'm also on Darren Hayes' message board (well I have an account, but it's been forever since I've been on there, instead I'm on his myspace page). I'm also on TJ's myspace page, Sully Erna's (from Godsmack) and Godsmack's, Disturbed's, HIM's and Laurell K. Hamilton's myspace pages. I practically live on myspace when I'm online. If anyone wants to know anything about me just ask, I might even answer. :P
word count: 94
Well behaved women rarely make history.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Many many welcome waves, Amber!
Great to have you with us, stick here (it's going to get very good soon)and be prepared to be asked *lots* cos we are a nosy crowd. I'm ThyneAlone, one of the newly appointed mods here: aka lessa63 on the fox boards and oddenthusiast on tv.com., utube & the anti-boneyard. Come on in and stretch out on the sofa, we luuurrvv new members.
word count: 72
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Welcome, Amber! Glad you're here.

I'm Sherry -- also known as Sinkwriter72 on Television Without Pity's website (as well as here on TJThyne.com, of course), and simply Sinkwriter on LiveJournal.

And ThyneAlone, I promise I'll sign up on the FOX boards soon! I want to contribute there so TJ continues to be represented (apparently amidst the scads of Brennan/Booth enthusiasts, heh). :D
word count: 66

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Re:

Post by KimberHodgela »

PrettyIllusions wrote:Well my name is Amber, I go by Pretty.Illusions on myspace and I'm also on Darren Hayes' message board (well I have an account, but it's been forever since I've been on there, instead I'm on his myspace page). I'm also on TJ's myspace page, Sully Erna's (from Godsmack) and Godsmack's, Disturbed's, HIM's and Laurell K. Hamilton's myspace pages. I practically live on myspace when I'm online. If anyone wants to know anything about me just ask, I might even answer. :P
Hi Amber! I'm a fan of Darren Hayes too, but I don't think I've ever been to his message board. If I'm ever over there I'll watch for you. I also didn't know he was on MySpace (but really, who isn't in this day and age?) - I'll head over there and check it out now.
word count: 159
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

sofilps
Super Fan

Re: Your aliases - do I know you?

Post by sofilps »

mmm let's see..

i'm on facebook, MySpace, LiveJournal, in the Anti-Boneyard i'm simply "sophie", i'm in the Boneyard too but I don't post there, just read and I don't remember my nickname.. ahahaha...in FF.net I'm "geezbones" and I just have started to write fics on Bones, BUT in spanish...oh YouTube!! i'm "geezbonesback" cause they deleted my previous account... ¬¬ aasdhsajkdhsjd I hat youtube for that...but I'm getting back to where I was. And I have a bunch of videos of Bones so maybe if you are often looking for new videos of bones you've seen one of mines. And I think that's it.

:D
word count: 118
~ s o f i

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Hey Guys, just figured I'd come and let you all know some of the other places I like to haunt :D. First of all as far as names go I pretty much stick to willowwood everywhere I go, and if that name's already been snagged out from under me I'll grumble and moan and stick a 314 onto the end of it lol, although so far I'm glad to say that's only happened over on Yahoo Mail.....So yeah basically if you see the name willowwood anywhere it's most likely going to be me lol. Right now where will you find me............

First of all I'd say the place I'm most active, is over on LiveJournal where I have my own personal LJ and where I also co-mod (with callieach) a couple of TJ/Hodgins related communities. The most popular of which is Bugs N Slime (which for all you fic writers out there is currently hosting it's second ficathon...So if your up for the challenge, or just need something to do, come and sign up...you don't even need a LJ account, just leave your e-mail addy and Calli will get back to you).

I also write fic (the vast majority of which is Jack, Angela, Jack/Angela related) that I host over on both Fanfiction.net (you can find all my fics here) and for the LJ users, I've also started posting my newer fics (again with Callieach) over here at Fandom Junkies.

and now for the TJ/Bones unrelated stuff I'm also over on MySpace, and often frequent a James Marsters board (that I won't bother posting the link to).

So yeah that's pretty much my internet action in a nutshell. Feel free to add me at any of the above sites, I'm always looking for more friends, and people to squee about Bones with lol. All I ask is that you drop me a message or something just to let me know, so your not left hanging for months lol (especially over on my personal LJ which is friends locked).
word count: 361
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

Callieach
Fan

Post by Callieach »

Lovely pimping, Will. ((Do what she says. Come get a prompt.))
willowwood wrote:and now for the TJ/Bones unrelated stuff I'm also over on MySpace
Well that's not completely non-TJ-related. Or did you forget that time you squeed at me about him adding you back on his friends or whatever?

And since I'm here: mostly I just hang out on LJ, though sometimes I venture over and post stuff under the penname 'OddEnthusiasms' to Fanfiction.net. Though most of my stuff isn't there, so you'd have more like trying to track down fic on LJ. If you're interested, of course. And have nothing better to do then read one teenaged fangirl interpretation of Hodgins.
word count: 123
xox.

"I am not a party trick!"

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Callieach wrote:Well that's not completely non-TJ-related. Or did you forget that time you squeed at me about him adding you back on his friends or whatever?
*tries to look innocent* I have no idea what you're talking about :wink:......and guys you should definitley go and check out Calli's fics they're awesome!
word count: 58
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I just 'friended' you, Willowwood (on your personal LJ) so don't be alarmed if you see "Sinkwriter" pop up on your Profile page. :D

I'm already a member of Bugs_n_Slime. But of course! ;)

And I just friended you on myspace (I'm Sherry on that site, with a winter-scene icon at this time).

Hope that's cool!

Addendum to post: I just friended you on LJ as well, Callieach. *warm smile*

P.S. Willowwood, you do not have to explain or dismiss your interest in James Marsters. I was a regular Buffy and Angel shows viewer. Excellent taste you have! :mrgreen:
word count: 104