Shuffle News and Discussion

Discussion about anything and everything that isn't Bones.
freedom
Fan

Bringing Shuffle to a uk screening

Post by freedom »

Short films are amazing if done right, such as this beautiful masterpiece.
We are all on journeys and sometimes need to be reeducated by films that reflect that, so i cry out to see who is with me to get Shuffle shown in local cinemas in England.
word count: 47

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bringing Shuffle to a uk screening

Post by ThyneAlone »

While I am with you of course, there would be little spur economically to get this shown outside 'art house' theatres or speciality conventions like the one where I watched it. Even in the US I don't think it's being shown in 'normal' cinemas.

The thing I really want is for the DVD to get a region 2 release! :)
word count: 61
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Sadly, it is not being shown in 'normal' cinemas here in the U.S., either. It's definitely one I'd see in the theatre! Not only because it's TJ, but because it's really good! I don't know that I consider it a 'short film,' though. I think it's considered feature length - it's almost 90 minutes long. Most short films tend to be around 15 or 20 minutes or less.

At any rate, it's a terrific film and everyone should see it if they can! I hope it comes out on DVD in all regions, because it's definitely worth people's time. I liked it a lot. :D
word count: 114
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Definitely not a short film, as Validation is sometimes not considered one because it is over 16 minutes long, so people say it is not quite short enough to be a short film.

It depends on what you consider "normal" movie theaters, since when I saw it, the theater was one that shows all the newest films as well, and the Gathr option in the US is also for regular theaters, it just has to be requested and enough tickets sold. It isn't being shown as a regular feature film though, no. It probably won't ever be. I do hope that they eventually get international distribution though, because so many overseas are interested in it, but I honestly don't think it has sold enough in the US to make any international distributor interested unfortunately.
word count: 137
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:I do hope that they eventually get international distribution though, because so many overseas are interested in it, but I honestly don't think it has sold enough in the US to make any international distributor interested unfortunately.
They need more press! I wish I were more connected to get the word out. I'm not sure what I could do besides post some messages about it in LiveJournal Bones groups. Though at least that would be something.

But I'm not on Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr or any of those media outlets.
word count: 96
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I don't understand Tumblr so not on there, but Twitter I can only do so much, as I only have 119 followers and most of those aren't even Bones/TJ fans. But I do retweet stuff when I see it or say things about Shuffle when I can. :)

Facebook I do share the stuff that the Shuffle page puts up but again, that is limited to the friends you have on there. :P
word count: 74
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

omelette73
Super Fan

Re: Shuffle Discussion (Beware spoilers!)

Post by omelette73 »

I know this will sound ridiculous to you, but the very first time I saw the promo for Shuffle, I thought the movie would have had something in common with "Big", but in a more dramatic way.
Big was a movie about a guy waking up as a child, who learn how to improve in his adulthood thanks to this experience, and obviously I realized how wrong I was after watching the movie!
It turns out that Shuffle is a beautiful story of love and redemption and I was really lucky not to have any idea of what to expect from the movie when I first saw it.
Even if you are naturally driven to empathize with Lovell (his story of love is beautiful and heart-crushing at the same time), I loved the fact that his character is far from being perfect, he is not just a victim of the destiny, or his father care-less attitude toward his illness and family. Lovell is - after all - guilty of abandoning his own child, which is not less terrible than what his dad did to him.
One of the scene I loved the most was the one where Lovell meets again with his dad, at the hospital, after he cures his son.
I loved the way the camera linger in Orson office, which is so very different from the one we saw at the beginning of the movie, when Lovell was just a child.
The first time what we get from the details in his office was that we were dealing with a self-absorbed man, only focused in his career, but the second time we understand that everything is changed for him, and we face a man full of regret, who admire his son from a comfortable distance, scared to approach and love him.
In this exact moment Lovell learn his last lesson: forgiveness, and I loved TJ's interpretation of this very exact moment.
Don't want to annoy anybody and talk to much, but this movie is really surprising, and I really would like we could have the opportunity to watch it in Europe too.
Sometimes independent movies are really good, and they have to fight to get what they deserve in term of positive critics and attention, and Shuffle really deserve the best.
word count: 386

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

I love this movie so much that I've recommended it to family and friends. I had my neighbor watch it with me and she told me that she's going to order a copy of it for herself! :) I was thinking of getting it for my mom for Christmas too, lol! TJ is sooooooo awesome in it and I love the classic movie feel it has. :)
word count: 67
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I can't even get my mother to watch it. :( Once school is over though I'm going to watch it again. :D I'll probably notice something else I missed when I watch it for the third time. I might watch it in color, just because I've never seen it that way. I don't have the money to buy it for people, but I would if I could. It is great that your neighbor watched it!
word count: 78

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

I've been lax to put a review here. It's just that don't know how to give commentary worthy of this movie. But I'll try. Let the ramblings begin.

THIS CONTAINS PLOT POINTS--So don't read if you haven't seen it yet.

First, everything Sherry said. :D :eusa-clap:

I just watched it for the 3rd time, this time in color just to see the difference. I agree that black and white does add a lot to the movie and I like that version better. At the same time the surreal effect made by the lighting was more noticeable and appreciated in the color version, by me anyway. I found some stuff to add to my 'draw/paint' folder.

As I've mentioned before, I don't cry ever, but I cried a few times the first time I saw it and still welled up the 3rd time around. TJ is one of a few actors who can do that to me. He's just that freaking good. Also, it may have something to do with the fact I really like TJ and I don't like seeing him upset or sad or dying. Even if it's just on Bones or a movie and he's 92 and wearing really awesome prosthetics and makeup. I. Don't. Like. It. :eusa-snooty: It just kills me.

Kudos to the writers and director for giving TJ a role where he can talk to the camera a lot. He is just SO good at engaging the viewer and it seems very natural. There aren't a lot of movies that tell the story that way either. It's really effective, but I don't think a lot of actors can pull it off like TJ.

I knew these random people visiting Lovell were Grace or a message from her whatever, by the use of "dummy" (cute by the way). Although I was surprised Patricia Belcher's character was as well. But I thought he was supposed to save her, not himself. So yeah, well done on keeping me guessing!!

TJ did a great job and playing such a complex character too--I mean Lovell's basically likeable and I feel bad for what he's going through and I'm rooting for him, but when he was telling the girl he didn't want the baby I was like, wow, what an ------.

CASTING--Young Milo and his Dad were pretty spot on in terms of looks and did a fabulous job. I mean I hated Orson Milo. And of course, yeah for Tamara and Patricia! Thank goodness Lovell and Linda didn't have more than a quick kiss because how awkward would that be for T&T? Giggles abound! :crying-pink:

Favorite moments:

Lovell in the bathroom with Grace after she came home drunk.

That moment when Grace kissed him for the 1st time on the sidewalk. :romance-smileyheart:

Young Lovell getting scolded by his dad in his office. That scene made me want to go and hug my kids and be like "I'm sorry if I was ever mean to you ever! Please forgive me"

Lovell taking Grace's pulse just before the accident (gulp) and then of course when he broke down in front of his dad after the accident. Just brilliant acting there and so heartbreaking.

And then Lovell breaking down in his darkroom. Gutted.

TJ's scene with Dave Kuhr discussing how Kevin was doing. Just very sweet. And TJ did a great job with the awkward meeting with this son after the concert.

The car wreck. SO COOL with the glass and then the moments with Grace.

Bawling over the dog scene. I mean geeeezz.

Pretty much any scene young Lovell was in. He just rocked it.

Nice to see that at the end Grace's parents were still a part of the family.

Also, I watched all the special features and extra props after learning about all the work that went into it. :eusa-clap: Bravo.

I really, really hope this movie is able to get the recognition it deserves. I think the only trouble is, as with a lot of independent movies, may be hard for the masses to "get it". My family likes your basic romantic comedies and big budget action stuff, you know?

Anyway, I loved it. And it's the type of movie I can watch again and discover more things, so that's an extra bonus.
word count: 744
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Thanks Ang for adding your thoughts here! I hope more people will do so when they can see the film! I really need to watch this film in color. I've watched it twice from the DVD but I always seem to choose the b&w version. I am curious about the color one though, and why they chose to film in color and convert to black and white rather than just film it in b&w in the first place. Maybe I'll try to find that out one day. I'd ask today but as you all saw, TJ is sick and he's already kindly responded to something I sent to him a few days back that needed his answer so I don't want to bother him again.

BUT...I was thinking, those of you that have seen Shuffle, and if you have questions, maybe you could post them here and depending on the types of questions we get maybe we can do a sort of "mini" interview focused on Shuffle with TJ (no guarantees as I just thought of this and would of course need TJ's cooperation! LOL) but we can try! I think it'd be an interesting thing to add to the site, something up to date and informative. So what do you all think?

word count: 223

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

That's sound like a good idea to me Sharon. :) I'm sure we all could come up with some good questions to ask TJ about Shuffle.

It's funny because I watched Shuffle in color the first couple times and then watched it in black in white the last time. I don't know anything about how they make movies but with filters and color editing, even the color version still had the feel of being in black and white. I'm not sure if that will make sense to anyone unless they've seen it. LOL The whole movie has the feel of an old classic black and white movie so it didn't make a huge difference to me watching in either version.
word count: 126
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

It's a great idea but sadly I don't think I can remember enough about it to ask the questions that boiled in my brain on that first and sole viewing. :(
word count: 32
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

skftex wrote:Thanks Ang for adding your thoughts here! I hope more people will do so when they can see the film! I really need to watch this film in color. I've watched it twice from the DVD but I always seem to choose the b&w version. I am curious about the color one though, and why they chose to film in color and convert to black and white rather than just film it in b&w in the first place. Maybe I'll try to find that out one day. I'd ask today but as you all saw, TJ is sick and he's already kindly responded to something I sent to him a few days back that needed his answer so I don't want to bother him again.
Not sure if I dreamed about that ot what, but in the DVD extras someone said that the first choice was to film in color, but when they saw the B&W version they kind of fell in live with it and decided to kept it in the DVD.
word count: 183

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

But neither version is really what we'd call a color film. I know that Kurt Kuenne loves b&w so it is most likely he is the one that said this, but they used a lot of filtering on the "color" version. Then all the festivals they showed the b&w version. Since Kurt Kuenne typically does his work in b&w I wonder why he'd be surprised to find he would fall in love with the b&w version-so I wonder why they chose to film in color then do the filtering, then show it in b&w. Pretty sure no one answered that question in depth enough for my liking. LOL
word count: 116

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Perhaps there is more richness of shadows and lights? (By filming in color first and then turning it black and white, I mean.) I could be completely wrong about this, but maybe if you take a black and white photo it's only got those 2 dimensions, but if you take it in color first and then alter it to be in black and white, you have layers of dimension underneath that black and white layer that enhance the richness of it? That's just a guess. :eusa-think:

A photographer might be able to answer that question. Alas, I only took one class, and I don't remember a lot of the major details at this point. :D

Nevertheless, I haven't watched it in color yet, but I did love Shuffle in black and white. It was haunting.
word count: 137

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well, I am not a photographer, but I've seen Ansel Adams photos in b&w, those that he actually TOOK that way, and photos that he took in color (it was an exhibit at the National Gallery in DC called "Ansel Adams in Color") And there is a lot more drama in any Ansel Adams b&w photograph than in the color photos. They both were typical Ansel Adams scenery-color photos of Half Dome and El Capitan, along with others taken in his favorite spots in Yosemite, etc. The color photos were pretty, his b&w photos are spectacular, and it is the shadows and things that actually gave his b&w photos more interest to me. So because of this I've always thought taking it in b&w was the thing that gave it those sorts of shadows and things, and that you don't quite get the same drama with converting. But maybe it was just Ansel Adams particular talent with b&w that made this happen though, who knows, because again, I'm not even close to being a photographer.

But since we are having this discussion, don't you think it'd be a great question to ask? I'd just like to know their thinking behind it, and might as go to the source (or sources probably in this case as I imagine Kurt Kuenne had a big impact on the decision).

I'm sure people have OTHER questions though??? If not I won't even bother asking TJ about doing this.

word count: 260