Has he ever been really nasty?

Discussion about anything and everything that isn't Bones.
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Has he ever been really nasty?

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'm looking at the excerpts of TJ's work here and, obviously, elsewhere when I can, and I haven't seen a single piece where he has to be someone unpleasant. Can anyone enlighten me? He seems to have covered most of the emotional spectrum as a nice guy - occasionally nerdy, frightened, funny, pathetic, charming, officious, the amazing complex character that is Jack Hodgins, but....I think, given his abilities, he would do well as someone really horrible and ruthless.

Guys - is he being typecast as a nice person, d'you reckon, despite his desire to do all kinds of different stuff? Has he got too sensitive a face?

All thoughts welcome!
word count: 113
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Have you seen him in Erin Brockovich?

His role isn't large, and he's not evil nasty, but he does play the part of a smarmy lawyer. One with lousy humanity. He plays a lawyer from the firm representing the big-wig power company that caused all the pollution (as well as the multitude of health problems for the families living in the area of their plant). I suppose you could label this role under the 'officious' point of view, but I prefer to label the character as more of a smarmy, callous jerk.

TJ, I think you did a great job in this role, because -- no offense -- when watching your scenes, I wanted to punch you in the head. :mrgreen:
word count: 121

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

yeah, I must take another look at that one. I was thinking more along the lines of criminal nasty, but you're right, that guy is brickable.
word count: 27

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

No, I definitely haven't seen him in a 'criminal nasty' role yet. Maybe that's another question for TJ -- do you look for roles that might add to your overall resume, to show a variety of what you can do, is that important to you, or do you prefer to let each role you read make an impression on its own merits, whether or not it will serve to round out what you've played in the past?

Heh. 'Brickable.' That's really funny.
word count: 85

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh heck, that's a really good one, and I have already handed over the list...OK, we'll make another one, why not? I' m sure I can find a few more questions, personally. I don't think TJ would mind, he seems positively eager to respond!
word count: 48

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

If we're not torturing him with the onslaught of questions, then yes, absolutely, let's give him more as we think of them.
I don't think TJ would mind, he seems positively eager to respond!
I'm giddy-thrilled to hear it. Yay. :D
word count: 45

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hmm ... that's a good question, Steph!! I don't think I've seen TJ as an overly nasty character in anything either! Mind you, I haven't seen Erin Brockovich. I know, I'm bad. I'm more of a TV/books person than a movie person. But it's on my list of ones to see!!

TJ seems to have dome more silly roles ... or at least the more nerdy (I'm thinking of the hilarious clip of him in "Fastlane"), or more intellectual roles. It would be really interesting to see him in a movie or series as a creepy serial killer, though! Does that seem odd? It's just neat to see actors do something completely opposite from what you're used to. And knowing TJ and his talents, I'm sure he could pull it off marvelously!
word count: 142
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Management have been in touch on this; he has been baaaaad!
Will try to get in later with more info, depends when parents' evening finishes really, or maybe Rebecca could do the honours and explain if she gets here before me!
word count: 41

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ok this is what we have been informed, and I daresay we will hear more on the topic!
themanagementteam wrote:TJ HAS played villains. He played the devil in G vs E, a tv show, and he played a thief and murderer in a short film called VIGIL he made in college (with the same director as the COKE commercial) and he just this summer played a drug dealing, gun toting guy in the independent film Balls Don't Lie (small role in the film, but still). He's also been tattooed and such in other projects.
I am longing to hear more about this! What kind of tattoos, I ask myself?
I had already some idea of what Ball Don't Lie was about so I should've remembered, but I didn't know about the other stuff. Maybe he should have been a demon for Hallowe'en?
:D
word count: 149

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Ok this is what we have been informed, and I daresay we will hear more on the topic!
I'd like to see more on the subject! ;)

I know we won't be able to see the independent film yet because it was just filmed, but if you happen to have clips from G vs. E, or from the short film VIGIL, I'd love to see them. I know some people don't like to see their favorite 'nice guy' actors play roles that are rougher around the edges (or downright nasty) -- admittedly, it's difficult for me to watch sometimes, too -- but I still like to see the variety. Especially when the actor isn't afraid of the challenge.

When I was a music major in college, my voice teacher told me to take acting classes, in order to get more comfortable with myself and my body as an all-around performer. Taking those acting classes was incredibly difficult for me -- I found myself enjoying the challenge, even feeling a high on those rare days when scenes or moments fell into place and felt wonderfully natural, but most of the time I struggled because I couldn't get out of my head. I fell back into a long-held mindset that I was supposed to follow the 'rules' and do what the teacher said and do it perfectly... but in acting, I've found, there are no hard or fast rules; you've got to let yourself go and stop thinking so damn much (at least, in my case, I think it's true).

That's why I admire TJ so much, whatever role he's playing. He seems to have a natural ability to let go, unafraid of whatever emotions or actions come up in the scene, ready to let things happen. It's not easy. And it's definitely more impressive than I could ever fully express.
word count: 321

Lauren :)
Fan

Re: Has he ever been really nasty?

Post by Lauren :) »

TJ's like an ultimate actor :D

He could pull off anything, so im seriously NEEDING to see that film :D

Under-rated actors are always the ones who make a film or a show. Do you guys believe that?

Very good question though ;)
word count: 42

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Since the posts on this are mostly really old, Steph and Rebecca did you get to see Vigil? I saw it because it had been linked on TJ's facebook page but I think it was because it was someone tagging TJ so I don't think the link is there anymore. Very interesting little film and TJ is definitely evil in it, and LOOKS evil as well.
word count: 68
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Sharon, do you know if there's any place to see it, if we're not on Facebook? I'm curious to see TJ in that role.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sherry, as far as I know it isn't even on facebook anymore unless someone is friends with the guy that posted it (I think it was the guy that directed it..) which of course I am not friends with the guy, I don't even remember his name LOL...so the link isn't on TJ's page anymore. I looked on YouTube today and couldn't find it either. But...I am going to see if I can get it somehow (I'll ask TJ first of course!) so those of you that haven't seen it can see it. I'll work on it okay?

Sharon
word count: 109
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

That's cool with me, Sharon, thanks! Don't go too out of your way -- I know you've already got plenty on your plate right now.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Nooooo not too bad right now Sherry, only two days of school and then SPRING BREAK starts for me on Friday because I have no Friday classes. WOO HOO Anyway, I asked about it. We'll see how that goes. :)

Sharon
word count: 41

sterlingdragonfly
Fan

Post by sterlingdragonfly »

He's such a great actor that I am sure he could make us all despise him if he had a really nasty part to play, so I would rather steer clear of seeing it. I would imagine those huge baby blues prevent him from getting many roles of that type.
Kind of like I always loved Robert Dineiro (spelling) until I saw him in Cape Fear and he played the part so incredibly well that I couldn't stand to watch him for a long while after that. Still feel a little different. That is what a good actor can do.
word count: 102

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Oh I dunno about having nice blue eyes meaning it's hard to get a "mean" part.

I've seen many more threatening faces off people with those sorts of eyes then I have from anyone with brown ones. Blue/grey/hazel eyes can add a lot of intensity to someones already scary look.
word count: 54

AAA111
Fan

Post by AAA111 »

I can't imagine TJ in a nasty role, he reminds me of the statues of saints I see in the really really old churches here in the Philippines, big eyes, curly hair, beards... Creepy, but not nasty.

He could make those eyes work for him if ever he gets to play a villain. Blue eyes can give off a cold, menacing vibe when used and framed properly. He's a good actor, but I haven't seen him talk with his eyes yet, I guess it's something he can work on.
word count: 93

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Hi guys,

Just saw VIRGIL on TJ's facebook.. OMG.. It was good (which dosn't seem to be the right word).. Can't find any other positive word that would descripe my feelings for it.

I also thought that he only had played good roles.. but to see him in this one - so nasty just show how virsitile he is as an actor. He played it so convinsing - I was afraid of him.. but he looked also hot in a scruffy, scary way..

Hanne
word count: 85