Bones 10.15 The Eye in the Sky

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Bones 10.15 The Eye in the Sky

Post by skftex »

Just wanted to start this one, I'll write more later. But I liked this one quite a bit though I am thinking a lot of people probably are NOT happy.

Also want to make sure everyone sees this, its so cute! But watch the episode first.
http://www.fox.com/bones/article/squintstarter (And no they don't actually ask for money..in case anyone is worried about that)
word count: 70
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

peppernights
Fan

Re: Bones 10.15 The Eye in the Sky

Post by peppernights »

I honestly think Hodgins and Jessica rocked in this episode!!! I'm also glad Hodgela finally got a storyline and the spot for Hodgins' experiment is so amazing!! No, they don't ask for money, you just have to share on Twitter :) I also liked the gambling part because I felt like this season has been a little stale, so I think they needed a bit of drama. (Also, Bones is the best with drama, tbh.)
This being said.. I have some doubts. I fear it's too late to introduce this storyline now, torwards the season finale that could also be the series finale. I've always wanted them to deal with Booth gambling addiction, but I wanted them to give Booth the time to recover in a fair way. I hope it won't be too rushed. About the pregnancy part, I'm skeptical. I don't mind BB having another baby, but I still think that since nothing major happened since they got back from hiatus, they could have included it in 10x11 already and make it more believable than this. Emily was showing so much already in December, I just can't help myself and try to buy the "we just found out" thing. They didn't even do much to try to cover it up with head shots or stuff like that. I felt like in this episode, every BB scene was taken out of fanfiction (except for the scene where Brennan is waiting for Booth late, which I liked) and it wasn't well written. I've always criticised other shows for going cliché but this is happening too with Bones this year. I wish it wasn't all so rushed!!! Anyone else feeling like the reveal scene was too overacted by Emily and David??? I don't know if it was the script or them.
But I really liked David's interpretation of the gambling storyline and also the scene with Aubrey (who is maybe the best-written character in s10.)
word count: 338

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

While I liked all the Hodgins inventing stuff, why was Jessica calling Hodgins curly? I mean I get that he has curly hair but has she called him that before? Seemed kinda weird to me.

The pregnancy scene was really over acted, I agree. And extremely anti-climatic since most people figured out she was pregnant in October, well before they officially announced it.

I did however, love the whole thing with Booth and the gambling. I think DB did a really great job with that, and honestly I thought he was going to take the pot THEN arrest the guy. When he arrested the guy instead I thought they were going to make the whole thing an easy resolution, with it ending in that episode, so I was also glad that it seems to be a little more to it. Though yes, they can't take it too far if they wrote the finale where it will work as a series finale, and that is too bad, so I definitely get what you are saying there Marta. I'm still glad they did it, I honestly felt like this was one of the best episodes of Bones in quite a while, probably since the Hodgins' brother episode last season. I do still think there is going to be a season 11 though!

Then there was the whole thing with Hodgins invention. I loved his thinking face. HAHA TJ can make the cutest faces sometimes. Then I was so pleasantly surprised when they had a whole promotion thing based on Hodgins! How cool is that! I love the little video he did, so cute with his jumping up and down. And "sex symbol" HAHA If you don't know what I'm talking about see the link I posted in the first post of this thread.

word count: 306
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

No no, I saw the video and it was amazeballs! Agree about David. And even though I indeed loved Hodgins' brother episode, I find s9 to be superb and I really liked other episodes too. Especially the s9 finale, which was imo the best season finale of the show (other than 4x26.)
Anyway about Jessica calling Hodgins curly..didn't Booth call Jessica squinty as well? I think it's mostly due to Gene Hong (this episode's writer) who is a new writer, so maybe he just wrote some things on his own without checking if it had happened already on the show or not. Like for example (I'm not completely sure because I watched without subtitles), but when Booth is gambling and he gets that text from the Jeffersonian, che ID says "Brennan". I know it's just a detail, but I noticed. How weird would be if Booth saved Brennan as "Brennan" instead of "Bones"? Unless that was not his phone. If that was his phone, that would be another weird thing.
word count: 176

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Oh Marta, the thing about not knowing what I was talking about as far as Hodgins was concerned wasn't meant for you. Just anyone that comes along and reads what I was writing and not having clicked the link yet. HAHA Sorry about that.

I hated the Pelant storyline and wasn't that interested in the conspiracy (which they never did really fully explain to my satisfaction) so season 9 for me was okay. There were several episodes I liked, but it wasn't really great to me.

I didn't notice that it said Brennan but to me it'd be weird for him to have her in his phone that way or as Bones. I know she didn't take his name but you'd think since he calls her Temperance sometimes it'd at least be in there as Tempe or Temperance? Or WIFE? HAHAHA But then, maybe he's had the phone a long time and he had her as Brennan all the time-and thought that was more professional than Bones. Who knows! Good catch though seeing that!
word count: 184

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I hope the next baby that comes along is an improvement on Christine. I can't cope with Sunnie Pelant, she is just so unbearably cutesie-pie and precocious. You're right that the hey-I'm-pregnant scene was hugely overdone and unconvincing, though I have to say I'm impressed at Booth's athletics, kudos to DB on that one, and on his subtle and layered performance throughout. It really is time Booth got a bit more story and a bit more dimension than he's had in the last season or so - though there was a time when they were giving him almost too much, it's easy for a character to stagnate and get stuck in a rut without some kind of development. How TJ achieves the almost impossible feat of giving Hodgins more than two dimensions when for years he has had no back story at all, save that lovely brother ep (what happened to him btw??), mystifies me.

Hodgins' invention seems like another rather lame way of getting him some more money back following the hot sauce venture (though heaven knows he must be losing it as rapidly if the astonishing amount of broken glass that was mentioned is really coming out of his salary), but it was indeed delightful to see him so playful and excited and just plain awesomely intelligent. And it is good to know that there are experiments going on at home in the background and that Angela puts up with them in that indulgent way you might direct towards a naughty puppy. Though I would like to see them interacting more on a couple basis - parenthood has taken over so much in the writing that you'd be forgiven for thinking their relationship is now comfortable rather than sexy! And it should be both!

The actual case predictably got backgrounded as the two B plots took over. It seemed a bit run of the mill and banal, to be honest, with the perpetrator not even interviewed, barely interesting, and the victim similarly cardboard cut out. But never mind - I can put up with that when there is sterling acting taking place elsewhere - which reminds me, good job John Boyd also.
word count: 371
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

I agree about TJ, it's a shame that they don't give him a storyline. So much wasted potential.
I find Sunnie perfect for the role, though! I think she also has great Chemistry with David and Emily.
I'm not a fan of babies, but I didn't really like the little baby on the show. The twins were cute, but having a baby-baby means that you can't do much rather than peek-a-boo or feeding them. I think Sunnie does a great job for a 5 yo kid. And I like the fact that she can interact with B&B. That's why I didn't want another pregnancy..I didn't want to go back to the s7-8 dymanic. But it seems like the writers didn't want either since they said (can I say this?)
(sort of SPOILER)
we won't see the birth by the end of the season and that there will probably be a time jump by the time s11 starts.
word count: 173

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I have no problem with the girl who plays Christine really, I just hate for them to have children like that on at all. Because most of the time, anything the kid says comes out as "repeat robot" speak. Pretty much everything she says sounds like someone just told her what to say. Say "I'm not sleepy" then the robot kid says with no emotion "I'm. not. sleepy." Hard to explain but I just don't think most kids have what it takes to actually ACT at that age so they are basically puppets. Then the interaction with the kid is usually so cutesy it makes me want to puke. However I've noticed DB does a pretty decent job of talking to the kid without really resorting to sing song voice of most adults do when talking to a small child. ED however has been sing-songing all through the season so she's doing it whether or not she's talking to a child. :icon-rolleyes:

I'll tell you why I liked the Hodgins story. Because FOX actually had a whole promo to build on it after the episode and how many times in the last 10 years do you remember something like that being done JUST for Hodgins? Or honestly any character outside of the top two? They actually cared enough to spend a week promoting HODGINS! How awesome is that!!??? (I should have asked TJ about it today but honestly he was talking so fast about so much I didn't have a chance. Darn. LOL)
word count: 261

peppernights
Fan

Post by peppernights »

ED however has been sing-songing all through the season so she's doing it whether or not she's talking to a child.
This so much... YES. Sigh.
word count: 29