Bones 12.05 The Tutor in the Tussle

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Bones 12.05 The Tutor in the Tussle

Post by skftex »

Another standard Bones episode I think.

I did think Hodgins was funny when he removed the spider webs from the shotguns and the eggs hatched in Cam's office. "These webs took at least a week to....weave." And his voice when he says WEAVE. HAHAHAHA :laughing-rolling: My only issue with this is, why was Cam testing the guns anyway? Wouldn't that usually be something they'd bring to Hodgins? It was just so out of place that you knew it was written that way only so they could have the spiders be in Cam's office so she'd get one on her. But still, it was funny the way Cam and Angela reacted when there was one on Cam! And very cruel, to tell Hodgins she was going to lull him into a sense of security before she got her revenge. HAHA.

It was cute that they used John Boyd's real dad as Aubrey's dad.

Sorry but I don't think a publisher would ever send fan fiction to a writer, so that whole thing with Fisher and Brennan's books was also sort of silly. It was nice to see Fisher though and I did laugh when he was saying he liked the nihilist writers like Kierkegaard and Nietzsche but then added Garfield the cat in there. LOL And that he watched Twilight Zone reruns as a child. Though I wonder what that says about me as I did too? Of course, I watched a lot of different things but did like Twilight Zone as well!

Sorry that is about all I have for this one.
word count: 271
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 12.05 The Tutor in the Tussle

Post by stargazer »

Yeah, I don't have much on this one either. I thought the spider part between Hodgins and Cam was funny, but I can't imagine having a spider on my face!! Yuck!!!!!!! :icon-surprised: :crying-green:

One other thing I noticed was that cop at the beginning of the episode is the actor who played Steve Uriel on Family Matters! So strange to see him all grown up! LOL! :D
word count: 66
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hmm. Random thoughts all coming up in the first paragraph I fear, so bear with me..Spiders really not big enough to bother me; I was rather surprised when Cam evinced quite such a reaction! Weaving webs though; nice metaphor for all the misdirection in this episode. And a nice female bonding moment as Angela joined with Cam to consider a punishment! Also - always good to see Fisher and hear his amazingly bizarre mingling of philosopher and geek. Though I can't see why he would deny his obsession with what he claims to view as a lowbrow pop culture manifestation when he is quite happy to acknowledge Garfield and The Twilight Zone as influences. And didn't Brennan sound totally appalling when reading her book? Thank goodness she's better at reading body language than was once the case (though it still concerns me that this is not consistent!).

The case. Honestly. Haven't they finished with perps who turn out to be entitled children/adolescents under intense pressure from quite egregious pushy parents and/or in a greenhouse academic atmosphere? Usually killing some underling or rival, occasionally, but not always, accidentally? Even as far back as The Girl With the Curl - and then there was that atrocious child who murdered her manny - and ooh, wasn't there a similar tutor situation all about mass cheating in exams, and then there was that ep with the brilliant gymnast whose 'friend' cut her down because she felt betrayed - and even The Boy In The Tree had a similar feel. So despite the aforementioned web of possibilities I settled on the killer as soon as I saw him. Shame really, because his abhorrent mother had great homicide potential. Eight generations at Harvard! Were all of them force-crammed in the same way? I'm surprised there haven't been more murders, or at least matricides.

And again, what is it in Bones with the father figures? Distant, weird, absent, abusive, alcoholic, murderous? Yes, Aubrey was right to turn his dad in, but doesn't that make you wonder about Brennan's failure to do the same? Everyone on the team, one way and another, seems to have father issues (admittedly Angela's is merely an uncertainty as to whether she should actually acknowledge him to her friends, but he is a bit scary!).

So yes, Sharon; a pretty run-of-the-mill episode underscoring many of the series' clichés. Not bad, but very much part of a holding pattern.
word count: 419
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I found this episode pretty funny, but in general, a pretty standard Bones episode, which seems surprising, given that they only have 7 episodes left before the end of the entire series, so why waste it on trivial stuff? *shrugs*

At any rate, I did laugh a lot while watching this one.

First with Aubrey... after once, maybe move yourself from standing under that tree full of gross evidence materials? LOL.

I almost spit out my cereal, laughing at TJ, how Hodgins was teasing Cam about hunting "wabbits" and then lying to her about the spiders (and then how they said he kept peeking into her office at random times)... heee.

Also? EEEEK. I know they were small spiders, but I'd want to kill him too, Cam. I may have screamed a tiny bit watching that scene, where they were crawling in her office and on her face. Though frankly how that spider was crawling on her face without her knowing, and Angela having to warn her about it, I don't know how that's possible. If it had been crawling on her sleeve or her shoe or something where she couldn't necessarily feel it on her, then I'd believe it, but crawling on her FACE?? I have to believe you'd feel a slight itch or something ticklish or weird.

Hilarious that Hodgins was too afraid to face her afterward, and sent Fisher in with his evidence findings. LOL.

I laughed about Fisher writing fanfic based on Brennan's novels. I thought it seemed weird that he was familiar with "Fifty Shades of Grey," yet claimed to find Brennan's novels "cheap." So it made more sense that he actually liked them enough to obsess about them, but was too chicken to admit it. He does seem to like to show off his smarts, so admitting that he likes "pulp mystery novels" would of course be well beneath his "intellect." :doh: Riiiiiight.

Brennan may not have done justice to her own novels via audio recording, but maybe she would do a hilarious job as a children's books narrator. She could do voices! ;) LOL. (Her imitation of the guy who's supposed to be Booth was really funny.)

On a more serious note, I did like the scenes between Booth and Aubrey, talking about fathers and arresting Aubrey's dad. It seemed a little anticlimactic, not much fanfare in arresting his dad - I would have liked some better build-up. But overall it was fine.

Just a general episode with some decent humor. (And look out, Hodgins. Sleep with one eye open. Ha!)
word count: 437
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Side note to Sharon: that guy is John Boyd's actual father?? You're kidding! That's so cool.

And you know who he is, right? Stanley, Josh's therapist in that awesome West Wing episode "The Crackpots and These Women." :romance-smileyheart:

Anyway, thanks for the trivia. That's really neat to know.
word count: 52
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sherry, I didn't even connect him to The West Wing even though I knew I'd seen him before, but yes, Gus Boyd. :)
word count: 24
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Yep, that's Stanley from The West Wing.

STANLEY Josh, do you think it's strange that you've never told me how [your sister] Joanie died?
JOSH: I've told you.
STANLEY: No, you haven't.
JOSH: Sure, I have.
STANLEY: No.

STANLEY: The house caught on fire?
JOSH: Yeah.
STANLEY: While your sister Joanie was babysitting for you?
JOSH: Yeah.
STANLEY: Why aren't you dead?
JOSH: I ran out of the house.
STANLEY: (gently) You were just a little boy, Josh. That's what you're supposed to do.
JOSH: [staring at nowhere] Yeah.

*clutches heart* Oh, Josh. :romance-smileyheart:

That episode still gets to me. It's a good Josh episode. And John Boyd's dad was memorable as Stanley. :D
word count: 122