Bones 3.13 The Verdict in the Story

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Bones 3.13 The Verdict in the Story

Post by KimberHodgela »

I'm sorry if there's already a topic for this, but I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd start anew!

My main continuous thought about tonight's episode is this: Am I the only one who misses all the Jeffersonian lab goodness of the last two seasons? Don't get me wrong, I love my Law and Orders, and other court shows, and I may even slightly understand the need to "wrap" the case of Brennan's dad, but ... it just seems like lately all we see are Booth and Brennan out in the field, or Booth and Brennan with Sweets, or some other scene that doesn't involve our Squints!

Have said that, this episode was a real bore for me. When I saw the preview late last week I was excited, and hoped for some great Jack/Angela moments, knowing Angela was going to "plead the 5th" (or 1st). However, I found that I really couldn't care less about Max Keenan, and whether he was found guilty or not (which ... he IS guilty! We know that, and Brennan knows that).

There was also wayyyyyy too much Sweets for my liking. In the episode with the "pottery date", I actually found myself tolerating his presence, but tonight's episode ... I found quite the opposite. I wanted to smack him.

As for Jack/Angela ... not much happened. We had some potentially great moments that fizzled (like when Angela left the meeting with Caroline, and Jack just watched her go, as well as when she refused to answer Caroline's questions in court and was "imprisoned". I found that, to my eye, Jack almost seemed disappointed in her!). We got some great Jack moments, though ... and I especially loved Caroline's telling him not to spout conspiracies (as the camera zooms in on his "Ask me about The Conspiracy" button on his jacket!). Also, I have to admit that he looked fine in the court!

I don't know ... what do you gals think? I'll admit I loved the court scenes in 2.14 ("Man in the Mansion"), but tonight I just wasn't feeling it at all. The ending seemed like a cop-out as well, but I'm not really a Max Keenan fan. I've been around LJ a bit, and people seem to love this episode - some calling it the "best of the season". So ... am I being overly harsh when I say I didn't really enjoy it??
word count: 418
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: The Verdict in the Story

Post by begolden »

Even though I'm only half way done watching the episode, I agree with everything you said, Kimber. It's become the B/B/S show, and by S, I don't mean Squints.

I got a phone call during the Jack on the stand scene, so will have to wait until I'm done taping to rewatch it.
word count: 59
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Just finished watching, and my opinion about this episode has not improved. It was a good premise--how would each character react if they had to do their jobs at the risk of hurting a friend's father. Sadly, except for Angela, we didn't really see the other Squints struggle with this personal dilemma. Even Angela going to jail for contempt was watered down and had very little emotional punch to it. And what was with Sweets and his unprofessional lingo in the courtroom? He was never unable to differentiate between casual conversation and professional conversation before. All for cheap laughs, I guess. Now he's going to "make a study" of Booth and Brennan so he can follow them around every week. How cozy and convenient!
word count: 128

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Glad I wasn't the only one to dislike this episode, Rebecca! It makes me feel guilty, as a Bones fan and an even bigger TJ fan. But you made a good point - this episode had great potential, but it just didn't live up to it. I think that by adding Sweets into the mix, they seem to have taken away from the Squints - and this episode is a prime example of that. Every second scene was B/B/Sw centric, so there was very little time for Squint action at all.

I guess I was most disappointed by how the Angela refusing to testify was handled. Sure, we got a cute and cuddly Bren/Angela scene - reminiscent of S1 and S2 - but what about the other Squints?

Let's hope the last few episodes are a bit more lab-centric!
word count: 142
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

My thoughts...

(Sit back and relax, maybe get a snack, because this is going to go on for a bit, LOL)

Hmm. Well, I think there were pros and cons to this episode. I didn't struggle with it as vehemently as Kimber did (saw your LJ post, sweetie). :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that I missed the teaser scenes that occurred before the main credits, because I was running late getting home, so I came in to this episode right as TJ's credit came on the screen (how's that for timing? LOL). The first scenes I saw were the ones occurring after that first commercial break.

Nevertheless, I will say that there were things about this episode that I liked.

I thought that David and Emily had some poignant exchanges throughout the episode. There were a few moments when I was especially touched by Emily's facial expressions, which were subtle yet said so much. (Which is probably why so many people on LJ are ecstatic over this episode, Kimber. They're loving the Booth and Brennan developments, ignoring everything else.) While there were things I felt could have been better about this episode, there was definite connecting between those two characters, which I thought the actors presented beautifully.

I was also amused by the scene when Caroline chastised each member of the team before the trial started. Telling Zack not to cut his own hair the day before the trial... heee. Telling Booth not to wear his cocky belt buckles, and the camera pans down to Booth's belt, on which the buckle actually says 'COCKY.' *laughing out loud* Only Booth would wear a belt buckle like that. *shaking head* And telling Hodgins not to wear his conspiracy buttons (and they cut to TJ wearing a button saying something like "Ask me about The Conspiracy"). hahahaa That cracked me up! I know his character has grown some, and is no longer 'all about the conspiracies,' but that part of a person's personality doesn't completely die away. I think it's inherently part of Hodgins to question things (and people), so I liked that inside joke about him in that scene. Very fun.

I liked that they joked about Hodgins actually going to Brennan to ask her permission to testify against her father in the trial. I just wish we'd gotten to, you know, SEE that scene. *GRIN* There were other scenes in this episode that seemed extraneous. In place of one of those scenes, I think seeing an awkward, funny moment where Hodgins asks if it's okay if he testifies against her dad, and where Brennan logically offers her approval, would have been amusing. And you just know that along with being funny, TJ would have brilliantly played undertones of actual concern and conflict over having to testify at all, knowing what the possible outcome could be for Brennan's family. Plus, he and Brennan have a special connection, after their experience in the buried car, so it would have been nice to see a different level shown, between Brennan and someone other than Booth, a moment between them where he acknowledges her as his friend and therefore he finds it's not an easy thing to do something that might hurt her. A wasted opportunity, not having that scene play out in the episode, in my opinion. Plus, I just think it would have been funny. Can you imagine him asking permission? :D

(I did laugh at Zack's insensitivity though: "She does realize we're going to crush them, right?" So very Zack, to be focused on the expertise rather than seeing the emotional conflict.)

Speaking of undertones, I did think we got to see that in Hodgins, through TJ's lovely acting, in this episode. When he was on the stand, especially, I noticed flashes of expression on his face, where he would glance at Brennan, obviously feeling conflicted because he knew the evidence he presented was serving to help convict his boss's father. I liked seeing that depth and dimension of emotion, and I thought TJ did it very well. Also, it was edited nicely to convey the conflict.

In addition, I loved that twist of Zack being wrong for a change. I think he was more shocked than anyone else. Seeing his expression of realization was fantastic. I felt so bad for him, yet so impressed with him for being honest and logical about it ("Obviously I was mistaken"). Still, the troubled look on his face said volumes, and how he dwelled on that error afterwards, not knowing how to do something (the trick with the food dye) and not catching such a big piece of evidence properly ... that obviously stuck with him and made a serious impact. I thought it was great to see him get something solid to do for a change. Big yay for Eric on that.

Side note: I'd be interested to see how this error impacts the way Zack does his work. He's already so meticulous; I think this would make him downright obsessive in trying to get everything correct. And I wonder if it would affect him emotionally too, that he'd feel he's not doing his job well enough, not up to his (or his mentor Brennan's) standards. I'm fairly certain he'd feel conflicted over this turn of events -- he's always said that he feels awkward in all areas of his life except for science; how will he cope if he starts to doubt himself and his accuracy in the one arena in which he has always felt confident?

I liked the return of Clark (that's his character name, right?). He seemed like such a nice, smart guy -- I'm glad he got an opportunity to come back and do something scientific, especially because you just know that poor guy never stood a chance at getting Zack's job. For which I was glad and relieved because nobody gets to take Zack's place! *GRIN* Still, that was a nice bit of continuity, seeing him return and be the stand-up guy we know him to be. Plus, it was funny that Clark gave Zack such a look ("You're not messing with me; you're really like this, aren't you?"), but in the end he was just as driven to prove the science and do an expert job. Perhaps he and Zack aren't as different as he thinks. ;)

And maybe it's just me being overly emotional in my life right now, but I got teary over that scene between Brennen and Angela in the jail cell, when Brennan says, "What did I do to deserve such a wonderful best friend?" (Obviously, I'm paraphrasing, because I've only seen the scene once, so please forgive me if I didn't quote it exactly.) I thought both Emily and Michaela did such a sweet job with that scene, and the emotions of it got to me. I was touched.

I was also impacted by the expression on Hodgins' face when the court security took Angela away. I thought it was a terrific mix of stunned confusion and worry and 'What are you DOING, Angela?' I liked that he spoke out to her in the middle of the proceedings, trying to get her to think about the consequences of what she was doing. EXCELLENT work by our man TJ. :D

(Okay, you knew this part was coming, right?)

However...

As others have mentioned above in their insightful posts, I did not like that there was no follow-through with Angela going to jail. I didn't like how they handled it. It was this big powerful moment, her taking a stand for her best friend, and Brennan pleading with her, and Hodgins pleading with her. That was great. And then... I felt the impact of it was wasted.

I liked the jail cell scene with Brennan and Angela, I really liked it a lot, but I also felt conflicted, because one, I wasn't sure we needed a rehash reminder of their strong bond of friendship because we'd already seen the wonderfulness of Angela's friendship in the courtroom moment when Brennan calls out her name and Angela turns to her (as she's being taken away) and says, "This is one of those moments where everyone else is confused," and two, I wondered whether they would have even allowed Brennan in there to see Angela at all, because they're on opposite sides of the trial and therefore probably aren't allowed to have contact. (Speaking of opposite sides of the trial, more on that in a bit.)

Plus, the Brennan and Angela jail cell scene was this quiet, sweet moment during an entire episode full of quiet, sweet moments (though most were between Booth and Brennan, so it was nice to see one between the two best friends instead). But the point is, the episode was filled with quiet, sweet, connecting moments, so I felt there should have been more urgency about this particular plot twist -- maybe a scene with Hodgins going to the jail to see her, plead with her, express his understanding about her convictions (so to speak) but at the same time trying to impress upon her that this is serious and he loves her and doesn't want her to go to jail. With so many scenes similar in style, I felt the episode dragged a bit. This is an episode that should have been huge all around. It would have been good to add some more intensity. Something to mix up the tempo of the episode, you know?

Obviously, I am biased because I am a big fan of TJ and want to see him on screen, but honestly and truly I felt it was lacking, not having a scene between Hodgins and Angela after she goes to jail. Come on! He's her fiancé! This has a huge impact on his character. We got to see one moment of that through TJ's marvelous facial expressions (in the scene in the courtroom), but then they didn't give him anything else, no other scenes to follow through with this turn of events. It just felt empty, like it didn't give enough weight to Angela's huge sacrifice. They had their big courtroom drama scene and then moved on, forgetting about her for the rest of the episode. And forgetting how her being in jail affects her friends and boyfriend. Where's the balance? Where is the follow-through?

Speaking of follow-through, I'm sorry but there is NO WAY Hodgins wouldn't make an immediate beeline for Angela as soon as she got out of jail at the end of the show. To have the final scene with Angela standing by herself on the steps, and the rest of the Squints together at the top of the stairs... I just felt like, what?! It was like they forgot that Angela being in jail impacts more people than just Brennan.

It's one of those things where it seems they're forgetting the core Squints characters' lives, ignoring good character balance this season, choosing instead to focus almost solely on developing Booth and Brennan. And lately, Sweets. :x

That scene involving 'you liiiike us, Sweets' is one example: cute though it may have been, it didn't add anything to this episode. What is the point of that? Due respect to the actor whom I do happen to like, why do they perpetuate this character? He's done his job. To keep him in their lives is forcing this character into a show just to keep the Booth and Brennan connection happening. That happens without him -- they don't need Sweets to demonstrate that Booth and Brennan have a solid emotional connection; we see that every week by their actions and what they go through together. And to keep giving the Sweets character screen time takes away potential screen time that could be used for the development of the Squints, who are a core part of this show and the Jeffersonian team. It's very frustrating.

And like Rebecca said, it's annoying to see them using Sweets for cheap laughs. The guy may be young (like Zack is young) but he has been presented in previous episodes as a professional. He knows how to behave like a professional on the stand. He takes his work very seriously. There's no way he would revert to casual conversation type of speech so many times, not during a trial.

In using Sweets in that way, they were trying to inject humor into a setting where there couldn't be much humor. Why force that? Why not acknowledge that this is going to be a serious episode? This is not the comedy of finding a baby and watching Brennan try to be maternal. We're talking about Brennan's father on trial for murder and potentially in line for the death penalty. This is a serious thing.

Can you imagine them trying to force humor into the episode "Aliens in a Spaceship"? It would have been terrible! It would have ruined the entire episode and been horribly inappropriate. Likewise, while the humorous bits in the beginning of this episode about what not to do at trial were appropriate and funny, after that I think the balance should have shifted and stayed serious, or only had organically funny moments, like in Aliens when Hodgins says 'Yeah but now we've proved [that I was run down by a car] and I find I'm really annoyed.' See what I mean? It's naturally funny, within the context of the episode. To force humor into the middle of a serious trial seemed to sanitize and lighten the gravity of what was happening at a time when we needed that weight in order to really feel the intensity of what Brennan was going through and how she and Booth connected in the midst of all that insanity. Yes, they still connected in this episode, but I think it was due to the actors' stellar work, not necessarily because of how well the episode itself was written.

I'm really sorry to say that, because there have been some gorgeously written episodes throughout this series, but I think this one fell short of what it could have been. I think that the entire rhythm of this season has been off, and I acknowledge it's partially due to interruption caused by the writers' strike; therefore, I do have hope that they'll pull it together and do better next season.

Going back to the 'opposite sides of the courtroom' issue, I felt the running gag with Booth and Brennan whispering to each other throughout the trial was another example of forced humor. Yes, it was cute, to see them whispering and isn't it obvious how they're not really on opposite sides. And I can see Brennan struggling with how the lawyers word things in a way that is not pure science and logic; therefore, she might feel inclined to mutter a few things in disagreement and frustration. Especially when they say hurtful things about her father, no matter how bad it sounds, in order to make their case. BUT... I think she would want to do whatever it takes to not jeopardize her father's case, so she wouldn't want to piss off the judge by repeatedly whispering while the trial is going on. Also, I don't believe Booth would behave that way. He takes his job very seriously, and part of that is proper decorum in the courtroom. In fact, while watching those moments, I kept wondering to myself why he wasn't shushing Brennan. I think that would have been a very Booth thing to do. To have her whisper to him when she felt Caroline said something 'inappropriate' that gave the jury more ammo against Max, and then have Booth turn around and whisper 'Shhh! Bones, we're in the middle of a trial, we really can't talk right now.'

Speaking of the trial, I felt there were problems all around with the execution of the storyline in this episode. First of all, Max didn't kill just one person, right? He killed at least one other (at the beginning of "Judas On A Pole"). Obviously killing the director of the FBI would be the main focal point, and it's been a while since I've watched the season 2 episodes, but he killed more than one person, didn't he? Shouldn't he have been on trial on multiple counts of murder?

Secondly, where was the mention of his calling card? They tried to make it about the weapon, but that wasn't his calling card. His message was to insert that Christopher Columbus coin into the throat of the victim, wasn't it? That was his sign, to warn the people who knew he's 'Columbus' not to mess with his family.

Also, I really struggled with this episode because of Max. Maybe I'm supposed to feel conflicted, like the characters felt conflicted, because it's not a cut-and-dry matter. He was trying to protect his family. His wife was murdered; he knew his kids would be targeted. He was trying to do what he thought was right.

On the other hand... *shakes head for a long time* He killed those people. And not just killed them, but then disemboweled them and set them on fire. That's just so hideous. I know he was trying to send a strong message ('Don't go near my kids, or else'), but at the same time, those actions are so brutally horrible. To kill someone in defense of your family, okay, there are potential question marks there, where we can understand doing what you have to in order to defend yourself or your loved ones. On the other hand, the insidious nature of what he did, the act of desecrating the bodies afterwards, it goes beyond simple self-defense. And when Sweets said he may have done it without remorse or guilt, the camera panned to Max who didn't really react to that. It made me struggle to connect with his character or feel in any way sorry for him. The only people I really felt for were his kids, being put in this position.

I couldn't really decide what I wanted the outcome to be. On the one hand, I didn't want Brennan to suffer anymore because of her father's actions. Also, to have him found guilty would perpetuate this storyline even further, with appeals and death penalty drama and Brennan worrying about her dad, which would alter the main focus of this program, potentially keeping it off track for a very long time. And it really needs to get back on track, back to the cases and the teamwork, and Booth and Brennan working together.

On the other hand, I didn't like how the episode ended. It felt too tidy. Like one of those afterschool special programs where everything's neatly resolved by the end of the hour. Yay, Angela's out of jail, yay, Booth and Brennan have connected even deeper, and yay, Brennan's father was released, yay, they can be a real family now. That may not have been the actual intent of the writers, but it's how it felt to me. It was too perfect, to the point of saccharin. They didn't present more depth. Like Hodgins and Angela not getting an opportunity to reconnect in that final scene, hello, she'd been in JAIL! Apologies for the obvious Princess Bride quote, but that was inconceivable! And not having Max show any remorse or guilt over what he'd done, even when he gets off the hook in the end, I struggle with that. Like we're supposed to think he's this great guy who was vindicated in the end, when in truth it's much more complex than that. I just felt like there wasn't good follow-through.

Given that this episode was supposed to be a big wrap-up of a story arc they've been working on for two seasons now, I felt as though it could have been much better and stronger. There were parts I definitely liked, parts that made me laugh and parts that made me emotional, but overall I felt the structure of this episode could have been better executed. (No pun intended, Max.) I really hope that Hart and the writers give more attention to the core team and their character development next season.

And that is my long-winded opinion on "The Verdict in the Story." The end. Whew. I'm exhausted. My brain hurts. Sincerely, thank you for reading my thoughts, if you made it this far. :D
word count: 3514

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

KimberHodgela wrote:Glad I wasn't the only one to dislike this episode, Rebecca! It makes me feel guilty, as a Bones fan and an even bigger TJ fan. But you made a good point - this episode had great potential, but it just didn't live up to it.
Kimber and Rebecca, I'm right there with you. It's tough because I wholeheartedly support TJ's work, but.........

Sherry, before I get started, thank you for the great, well-considered analysis. I thoroughly dig your fondness for detail.

Sadly, the more the show succeeds from Fox's point of view, the more it fails for me as a viewer. Season One grooved me to the molten core. Brennan was more believable with that extra dash of social acumen she seemed to have but then mysteriously lost; Booth was more believable too, and that's been sacrificed for goofy belt-buckles and fart jokes.

Jack and Angela each had prickliness that the writers have polished dull -- as if love actually does that to adults? Well, I guess if you're 15 it does, but that's ship's sailed more than twice for me now. ;)

It's as if the playbook keeps getting changed to chase a demographic.

I enjoyed last night's show more than I have in a very long time, even though it was a dissapointment. There seemed to be some of that Season one spark -- Booth was more solid, more sensible; Michaela and Emily set the screen on fire, and the few precious moments of TJ were wonderful.

That said, if Bones keeps TJ in clean boxers and puts a good roof over his head I'm all for it. If it helps him up the ladder to his own show or lead in a feature? I say keep it going and let the rough side drag. It doesn't have to be Chayefsky. (even though I want it to be, dammit!)

I really want to talk back to some of Sherry's excellent points, but I'm worknig against a deadline so I'll have to come back for that.

*smooch*
word count: 356
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hi'ya Sherry! And hello late_heart, I don't believe I've met you yet!

Sherry, you make some really, really good points - and while I'd love to discuss them all, I'm at work and so it's probably not professional of me to spend all my time on the computer doing personal things. But I will agree with you totally about the Sweets on the stand bit, which Rebecca also touched upon. Though he's not my favourite character, I will say that he should have known how to handle himself, and known proper terminology to use. That did seem a bit off. As did Booth and Brennan "sharing secrets" in the court room. Even Brennan, who may not "understand" the whole process, would have been more professional than that. As she pointed out to Zack, when he was applying for a full forensic anthropology position, one must know how to dress and behave in court. I think that she, even though not on the stand, would know that you don't sit and whisper during a court proceeding. Especially considering how crotchety that judge was!

And Booth ... you nabbed it there! He takes his job extremely seriously, and I don't think would have been chatting in court. Which leads me to the opening sequence with Brennan and Booth and the "bendy bones". I believe you said you missed that scene, Sherry, but what did the rest of you think?? Essentially Brennan was giggling over a set of bones that were contorted into an odd position. For me, this was very out of character for Brennan who, even though she has been "loosening up" this season (making jokes, bonding with babies, etc), I doubt would make a joke of her job.
word count: 296

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Bravo Sherry, Bravo! Thanks for helping me see the positive aspects of this episode (which incidently involved scenes with our core group, and not the annoying Sweets). Your thorough analysis truly hit the mark.

late_heart also hit the mark with this comment:
Aint that the truth! And as much as I hate to say it, the target demographic seems to be immature and unsophisticated if you can go by the current storylines, the words put into character's mouths, and the heavy handedness in the way the Brennan/Booth relationship is being handled.

In fact, it seems like every significant storyline having to do with the Squints has been marginalized or just plain dropped in order to fit in more Sweets time; so he can tell us in oh, so many ways, how Booth and Brennan relate to one another. For instance, what happened to Zach's Iraq experience? Totally swept under the carpet. Jack and Angela's thwarted marriage? Put on the back burner. I'm not happy folks, but of course will watch for T.J.
word count: 192

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

begolden wrote:late_heart also hit the mark with this comment:
Aint that the truth! And as much as I hate to say it, the target demographic seems to be immature and unsophisticated if you can go by the current storylines, the words put into character's mouths, and the heavy handedness in the way the Brennan/Booth relationship is being handled.
Can't believe I missed that one - but I agree, Rebecca, it's completely true. I know that being over at TV.com last year I learned that a huge portion of Bones fans are very young (and by very young I mean "teenaged"). It seems as though a lot of the fan-love this year has been given to episodes that have "B/B centric" cores - which, of course as we all know, almost always revolves around Sweets as well. So rather than using wonderful crime plots (such as those in S1, where my favourite episodes revolve around crimes and not always Squint love), they've just go silliness, and forceful B/B interaction. I am definitely not impressed.

And as for Jack/Angela and the Fijian marriage hubby ... that definitely has been put on the back burner. I'm sure the writers/creator would say that it is "still being pursued, just off camera", probably so they can include more Sweets time. And Zack's Iraq experience ... you know, I'd nearly forgotten about that!! I don't think it's been brought up for quite some time, or really answered as to why he was sent back (I'm sure it was hinted at, but not really handled properly). I had heard a while back that they were casting for Angela's husband, so I do hope this pops up in one of the last episodes (I've been staying away from major spoilers/sides this year), because if they end this season without tying up those loose ends, I'll be really, really upset.
word count: 343

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:On the other hand, I didn't like how the episode ended. It felt too tidy. Like one of those afterschool special programs where everything's neatly resolved by the end of the hour. Yay, Angela's out of jail, yay, Booth and Brennan have connected even deeper, and yay, Brennan's father was released, yay, they can be a real family now. That may not have been the actual intent of the writers, but it's how it felt to me. It was too perfect, to the point of saccharin. They didn't present more depth. Like Hodgins and Angela not getting an opportunity to reconnect in that final scene, hello, she'd been in JAIL! Apologies for the obvious Princess Bride quote, but that was inconceivable! And not having Max show any remorse or guilt over what he'd done, even when he gets off the hook in the end, I struggle with that. Like we're supposed to think he's this great guy who was vindicated in the end, when in truth it's much more complex than that. I just felt like there wasn't good follow-through.
I AGREE COMPLETELY. As I've already stated, this episode really failed to grab my attention at the start and hold it, but for me the ending was like the "nail in the coffin", for the reasons you've already stated, Sherry. I like to describe it as a "cop out", because it was the obvious choice. Max being freed, the family reunited, all is well with the Brennan family again. I almost hate it when shows do this - when they take the "easy road", the road they know most fans want to see. I am not one of said fans. I like the endings you don't expect ... the ones where the opposite of what you hope for happens. And to be honest, I think these endings are more realistic.

I won't include your entire quote about Max, Sherry, but I agree completely with it all too. He didn't just murder people, he BUTCHERED them! And to my eye, Max showed absolutely no remorse for the killings (I agree Sherry, I'm pretty sure there were multiple murders). I've never really liked the character of Max, for many reasons, so to see him being exonerated of these murders (which he DID commit) was like a slap in the face for me.
word count: 410

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

late_heart wrote: It's as if the playbook keeps getting changed to chase a demographic.

I enjoyed last night's show more than I have in a very long time, even though it was a dissapointment. There seemed to be some of that Season one spark -- Booth was more solid, more sensible; Michaela and Emily set the screen on fire, and the few precious moments of TJ were wonderful.

That said, if Bones keeps TJ in clean boxers and puts a good roof over his head I'm all for it. If it helps him up the ladder to his own show or lead in a feature? I say keep it going and let the rough side drag. It doesn't have to be Chayefsky. (even though I want it to be, dammit!)
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes to all of it, dear late_heart. Well put. And you know that no matter what I may analyze to death, my main focus for saying it is because I wish for this show to be a great and rewarding acting experience for TJ. And because I want to be able to enjoy TJ's work for a very long time. :D

Lovely Brilliant Rebecca, I totally agree with what you said as well, and I'm very glad I was able to remind you of something positive. I really do try to balance my comments. Though I will say that for me I think it's so difficult to judge this season properly, because of the writers' strike. I know the process and plans for this season got interrupted, so everything's kind of a free-for-all. Even if they're unable to get to everything this season (which I suspect will be the case because of the time and money constraints, cramming in as much story as they can, impossible to get to it all), I do believe they'll do their best to regroup for next season. At least, I hope so! Keep the faith, baby, keep the faith. ;)

KimberHodgela wrote: I almost hate it when shows do this - when they take the "easy road", the road they know most fans want to see. I am not one of said fans. I like the endings you don't expect ... the ones where the opposite of what you hope for happens. And to be honest, I think these endings are more realistic.
Hi sweetie Kimber!

I agree with what you're saying here, I really do. I'm just so conflicted, because normally I would say, yes, absolutely, they should have made it more realistic. In a real world, Max would most likely have been convicted, especially with all the evidence they had. (Then again... given some real-life acquittals, maybe not. *ahem*)

But in this case, I think it was time for the show to wrap up this storyline with Max. If he had been convicted, they would have had to deal with that ad nauseam in upcoming episodes, rather than focusing on other things. And I really want them to start focusing on other things, concentrating on cases and core cast character development.

Still... it would have been nice to see a less tidy ending, instead of the 'all is right with the world' feel. A bit of a better balance, not going with the perfect world acquittal yay happiness or the never-ending death row Brennan/Keenan tortured family storyline, instead finding a happy medium somewhere between the two possibilities. Or maybe I'm being too critical or pie-in-the-sky and all those other 'wants to have her cake and eat it too' clichés. *wry smile* Ah well.

I think my problem with Max is very similar to yours, Kimber. I never liked him. I liked Ryan, for the most part -- I thought he did a great job portraying the charming con artist portion of Max. I just felt frustrated all around with the character. I felt he was too flippant about all the things he'd done. Especially when it came to Brennan's feelings about it all. When she was upset with him, I never really felt he was as apologetic or genuine about it as he could have been. Maybe it was the way Ryan O'Neal played it; maybe it was the way the character was written. I don't know. But I never felt like he fully 'got' why she was so angry and upset, and I didn't think he ever fully showed any remorse or guilt or feelings about killing those people (or gutting them and setting them on fire, which seems so much worse to me than simply defending his family, it's so brutal). I just wish we'd seen something more in-depth with his character, for me to truly believe that even though he'd do it again in a heartbeat to protect his family (understandable), he still feels something about doing the things he did.
word count: 835