Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thanks for the Wolverine review, Simone! That's definitely a film I want to see. I was hoping it would be good - like you, I'm a big fan of the first two X-Men films (but not so much of the third film, sorry to say). I'll have to make sure to make time to see it soon!

I had an interesting evening. About a half hour ago, after the news finished, Nightline started, and they did a feature about a woman who is known as "the Bone Lady." She's a forensic anthropologist, just like our Dr. Brennan from Bones. I was immediately amused at the drastic difference in personality -- Brennan is so logical and specific and abrupt, while this woman was warm and friendly and laughing a lot. She even said that when she first went to school, she wanted to be a comedian, or an English teacher. That really tickled me to hear. But then she took an anthropology class and felt drawn to that field. She said it was like, 'wow, where have you been all my life?' Clearly, something she was born to do. And they showed her out in the field, sifting through dirt, piecing together bones and putting on tissue markers and everything we see on the show. It was really cool. And I laughed because the reporter covering the story talked about how she sifts through the dirt, in search of bones and bone fragments, and I immediately thought to myself Hodgins' signature line: "Don't call it dirt." :lol:

What was also cool was how they showed her team, and she talked about how excited they all get, working together, especially when they finally identify a victim, or match up a set of bones to a missing person or a cold case. I really felt that big, fulfilled energy from her, and it reminded me of how excited Hodgins gets when he uncovers evidence and how each character gets when he or she figures something out.

Also really neat was when they introduced the woman who takes the skulls with tissue markers and makes faces from them -- she was our Angela counterpart. However, instead of using computers or making sketches, she sculpts the faces out of clay. It was fascinating!

I got such a kick out of watching this news segment. Really, really interesting.
word count: 394
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Wooo. That sounds amazing. I wish I'd seen it. I like documentaries (as long as they treat the viewer as though he/she is an intelligent clued-in human being) and this sounds like a perfect complement to Bones. Thanks for the description, Sherry, I almost feel I was there!

And yes, Simone, thanks for the Wolverine review. I am contemplating seeing it if I ever get to do anything I enjoy again. Two weeks of endless stress. As soon as I extracted myself from the oral exams, I'm onto exam preparation, plus putting together in one day an emergency 25-minute presentation for an assembly, plus a lot of pastoral stuff to do. Excuse me bellyaching to you lot, but if you can't moan to your friends, who can you talk to? The presentation went extremely well btw, but it has taken a heck of a lot of time that should have been occupied with other work, ho-hum.

Hope all have been well here while I've been buried under the paperwork! And good luck to our examinees - I know my pupils aren't the only ones going through this!
word count: 195
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Lonia
Super Fan

Post by Lonia »

Wolverine is a film I would like to see too. Don't know if I can make it to the cinema - if not I'm sure I will see it when it's released on DVD.

I was in the new Star Trek film on Wednesday night. I haven't seen every Star Trek episode or film, I probably have seen all of the Original and some episodes of the different following serieses and maybe 2?? of the films. So I am not the biggest Star Trek fan, but i really enjoy watching it. And I really loved the new film.

I barely have time for the internet at the moment. There is so much other things going on and I often have something else to do.

When I came home from cinema on Wednesday my mother called to tell me that my sister is not so well. She was pregnant and the child was due in Mid-July. Now they had to get her on the night from Wednesday to Thursday. Fortunately everything went well and both are ok. The child has a bit icterus, but apart from that and the fact that she just weighed 985 grams, she is very lively and well. We are totally happy about it. My sister is also feeling good again. Her liver didn't work good anymore, but as soon as they had the child it got much better.
word count: 237

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Lonia, I'm sorry to hear about the emergency with your sister, and am very relieved for you and your family that the baby and your sister are doing better. My sister-in-law's brother's wife had sudden complications during her pregnancy, and ended up having to have an emergency C-section over three months before the baby was actually supposed to be due. The baby was in the hospital and in special care for a long time, but ultimately he turned out just great. He's grown up to be a very healthy, happy 8-year-old boy. So I will think many positive thoughts for the good health of your niece and sister!

In the meantime... congratulations, Aunt! :D
word count: 122

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Well, I wouldn't call it "review", just a few thoughts about the film. I'm not a good writer.

The new Star Trek film is on my list, too. I think I will watch it next Tuesday. How did you like it, Martina? I'm a huge Star Trek fan - or rather a TNG-fan. So I'm not so keen on watching it, but as a Star Trek fan I think I should watch it. Let's see how I like it! I'm gonna tell you next week!

Martina, I'm glad that your sister and the Baby are ok! All the best to them! And you're an aunt, now. Congratulations! :)

Have a nice weekend!
Simone.
word count: 120
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Lonia
Super Fan

Post by Lonia »

Thanks Sherry and Simone for your nice words and your congratulations. The little girl really seems to be quite "strong" and lively already. She started to breathe alone for example from the very beginning. She anyway is attached to an oxygen resuscitation apparatus part of the time - just in case. And she hates the stomach tube, she removed it - I think more than one time - already.

I really liked the Star Trek film. Didn't expect it to be so good. It had some really funny elements and it's nice to see all the members of the crew when they first meet each other. Also the friend with whom I went really liked it. And he normally is much more critical than I am...
word count: 125

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I watched all Star Trek films till now, and I heard a lot of good things about the new one. It seems to be a bit different from the others but maybe this is good. "The start of something new!" ( A little HSM reference! :wink: )

Nice to hear that the Baby is ok, Martina.

Simone.

Oh, I'm a "Bug Guy" now. Hm, liked "Conspiracy Theorist" better, but it's ok! :) :animals-worm: :)
word count: 70

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi everyone! I finished school for the spring yesterday. I still have that feeling I get at the end of semesters, like I'm suppose to be doing something and I'm not. Takes a couple of days for me to get to the other things I usually put off while going to school. Still, very glad to have it over with.

Not sure about my summer class, it might not happen because only 6 people have signed up for it so far, and I doubt they'll hold the class with just 6 people. If it is canceled I'll really have to search for things to do, having the whole summer off will be very odd! I've been going to school constantly since Jan 2006!

That is all that is up with me. Hope everyone is doing well!

Sharon
word count: 142
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hey, Sharon, if the class falls through, maybe it's because you were meant to give yourself a little break and enjoy the summer. You've been working SO hard these past many, many months. (Like you said, since 2006! Wow!) Maybe it would be a really lovely thing to have a couple months off before jumping back into classes. You certainly deserve some down time, I think. :D

Good luck, either way!
word count: 72

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Yeah, enjoy your break, Sharon! Is it "Spring Break"? How long do you still have to go to school till you're finished? What do you want to do then?
Sorry, I'm nosy! :)
Simone.
word count: 35

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Sherry!!! Thanks, yes, I guess if it falls through that is just the way it should be, but honestly I hope it doesn't. I need to take this class before Spring 2009 so because I have to finish all the lower level courses before moving on to upper level computer classes. This class is my last class in the lower level other than my computer class that I can't take til fall. But..if it is canceled I'll just drop a math class if I have to and take this one in the fall as well.

Simone, I have 16 (possibly 17) more classes to take, and because the upper level stuff isn't offered in the summers I should finish in May 2011. Then I get a job I hope!! But I also want to continue going to school and get my master's degree. :) I've already been talking to my advisor about that, about what direction I'd like to go and going to some of the talks they have every Friday to decide what sort of computing I'm most interested in.
word count: 190
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I saw the new Star Trek movie last weekend. It was a lot of fun! I was not a fan of the original, but was pretty well-versed because my best friends from high school were fans and made me watch. Later, I was a huge Next Gen fan, and Voyager, to a lesser extent (until Barbie of Borg took over the show). It helps to know the original show, as it is referenced quite a bit. I thought the casting was the best part about this movie--quite well done! I particularly liked Simon Pegg as Scottie, as I am a fan of his movies. I give it two thumbs up.
word count: 112
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

<Grabs an overstuffed chair and plops down> Hello, I'm jade. I'm about the same age as TJ and Emily. (So nice to see people my age in my shows.) I love the show "Bones." I regularly visit 4 "Bones" Forums, Twitter at HH, TJ, and Eric Millegan, and now am on here. :) I've developed a huge crush on Hodgins (I soooo don't get most girls' obsessions with Booth), which is what has led me here to learn more about TJ.
word count: 84

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Heh. "Barbie of Borg." Rebecca, you crack me up. :D

I know I've already said this in the chat box, but let me make it official here: Welcome, Jade! So glad you've joined us and are diving right in. Whoo! :clap:

Sherry
aka Sinkwriter72
word count: 44
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yes, welcome Jade, I'm going to do my usual sofa flitting round getting you a drink and snack of your choice. OK, here it is on this tray here...all for you.

Remember it's virtual. You'll have to tell me what I made for you. Hope it was your favorite!
word count: 53

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

Thanks! It's exactly what I wanted. How did you know I was vegan? And how did you manage to get the Cherry Dr. Pepper to be calorie-free for me?! So thoughtful.
word count: 33

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh, never a problem here y'know! And we have a significant number of both vegans and vegetarians here, so we always keep something in for them. I admire the choice actually.
word count: 32

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

WOO HOO!!! My birthday present is...

I PASSED PHYSICS :dance: :dance: :dance:

I don't have to take it again. I did NOT pass with a great grade but it is better than I thought...really thought I was gonna see that F...but I got what I needed so I don't ever have to take another physics class. :clap: :clap:
word count: 57

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

WHOOOOO! CONGRATULATIONS, SHARON!! :text-woo:

:happy-wavemulticolor:

Seriously, fantastic news. I know how you were struggling with that class, so I'm really glad that you got through it and you won't have to take it again. Good for you! :dance:
word count: 37

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Thanks Sherry. I was a bit scared to look at my grades so was a little surprised, not really sure I deserved to pass, I know NOTHING still but I did try really hard on the final, and did all my homework and labs...so maybe that helped my grade.

So I know some chatting went on after I told you about Richard Schiff's show...did you see it? Just in case you didn't, it is called Past Life, and Richard Schiff is listed first in the cast, but no clue what that means. Sounds like an odd sort of show, bit sci-fi bit procedural. He plays a doctor, and they solve crimes based on clues from past lives??? Could be interesting. Brad Whitford's show is called Off Duty...no clue what network that one will be on.
word count: 142