Bones 3.09 The Santa in the Slush

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 3.10? The Santa In The Slush, speculation

Post by ThyneAlone »

Christmas ep I assume? Sides are up at LiveJournal and it sounds quite promising, certainly quite funny. Call me strange, but I quite like seeing Jack out of a lab coat and down and dirty with nature. Here he is to be seen more or less swimming about happily in the disgusting slush in a dumpster out back of a Chinese restaurant, and lifting all sorts of 6-legged things out of the garbage soup. Don't worry - he's properly protectively dressed. Can't imagine Angela liking the smell though. She mentions this ep that it's their first Christmas as a couple. Ahhh, bless.
word count: 106

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Yes, read those sides. It will be nice to see Jack and Angela's first Christmas as a couple addressed. However, I assumed that they've already had one Christmas together--wasn't "Headless Witch in the Woods" their Halloween episode? And I know I've already written the fanfic--for both occasions... :wink:
word count: 53
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Yah, Christmas episode! We're getting spoiled this year, girls, we're getting both a Halloween episode *and* a Christmas episode! I have to admit that I've been avoiding spoilers, just because I want to leave a bit to the element of surprise this year. I've read mild ones, but haven't checked out the sides. However, I did see the title of this episode and figured we were getting a Christmas-themed one.

It will definitely be interesting to see our couple together, and whether they show more of the characters at home (aka: JACK'S MANSION), and how they celebrate, since they won't be quarantined in a lab this year :) I do believe that "Headless Witch" from last year was a Halloween episode, or at least shown around that time ... so they must have spent Christmas as a couple last year. We just weren't privy to what went on...
word count: 155
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Bones 3.09 The Santa in the Slush

Post by KimberHodgela »

Well, ladies, the time has come and gone. We've been treated to the oddity that is "Santa in the Slush".

First of all, on the Hodgela front, we had one very nice (albeit short) scene between our favourite people, wherein they discussed the fact that this was their first Christmas together. Aww, so the writers *didn't* forget! Angela told Jack that she was thinking of making Christmas ornaments for "their tree" (so does this mean they live together now?), because it's something her family did. They were snuggly and cute (and at the lab, which seems to be how all their cute scenes go down), but the scene was wayyyy too short.

There was also a cute scene where Jack and Zack were discussing Santa (Cam was there too), because the "Santa" they found was actually named Kris Kringle, had an old injury from what appeared to be a reindeer hoof, and looked *just like Santa himself*. It was pretty cute. Angela chimed in later on, laughing about the fact that their body just may be "the real" Santa.

On the "everyone was talking" front: the B/B kiss. I, for one, did not find it spectacular at ALL. I was saddened to find that a lot of people loved it and felt it was "appropriate". To me it was just ... too forced, no chemistry, and it honestly did look like Brennan felt she was kissing her brother (which is what she told Booth afterwards). The jist of the scene was that Caroline (whom I have loved unconditionally up to this point) blackmailed Brennan into kissing Booth. She promised a conjugal visit for Brennan, Russ, Max, and Russ' girlfriend and daughters at the prison - if only Brennan would arrange the mistetoe kiss.

The Santa storyline was kind of hokey, and very predictable, but there were cute moments. Also, we got to see a (music only) moment of the Squints exchanging gifts at the lab, and that was pretty darn cute.

What did you all think?

Oh - also, Fox ran a commercial stating that Bones would "return with all new episodes in the new year", but no date. Last year I think we had to wait until January 31st for anything new, so I'm guessing things will be much the same this year. Boo.
word count: 387
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I was wondering about the tree. Nice that she said 'our' tree (didn't you have a fanfic with them decorating a tree, Rebecca? Great writing, perfectly in character). Talking about families and kids too!! And didn't she look stunningly lovely. Christmas suits Michaela. She goes beautiful and translucent. Not but that TJ couldn't give her a run for her money. Those eyes get me every close-up.

Yep - found this somewhat of a damp squib at times. The case seemed, I suppose inevitably, a secondary consideration that was quickly brushed off in a superficial way. Everything gave way to family and the big BB kiss. But it wasn't big. It was a bit cursory really. And the whole bit about Caroline putting Brennan into that position seemed very forced and unrealistic. Like such a formidably intelligent and clear-thinking woman acts on 'puckish' whims without a clear reason for it.

I did really, really like the exchange of gifts montage though. Reminded me of Fallout Shelter, and, for a moment, had that glow and colour that permeated the other ep right through. Zach's Christmas jumper was fantastic, it really suited him! Someone tell Cam not to wear that horrible huge red flower again though. I also enjoyed (I had been looking forward to it!) Hodgins wrestling liquid gunge and huge insects in the skip. Yeah I know, still not seeing decent clothing, but at least out in the field. Again, a touch of a burgeoning rapport between him and Booth, who I trust had the good grace to go back and help him out of the skip afterwards?
word count: 273
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Two splendid recaps, ladies.

I would just add that I was sorely disappointed in the lack of Jack and Angela Christmas togetherness. Yes, we had the one scene, and the words they spoke to one another were very sweet. Angela refers to she and Jack as a "family," and you can almost catch the faintest hint about children in their future. This sweet scene ends too soon and with a sweet kiss from Jack to Angela--on her cheek. I almost had to laugh. This scene came directly after the big B/B kiss scene. I can't help but think the writers didn't want to overshadow B/B's dull kiss by an authentically passionate one between Jack and Angela--hence the cheek kiss instead. As far as first kisses go between characters that haven't yet admitted their love for each other... I think the Mulder and Scully New Year's kiss had a lot more heat and tenderness behind it.

Overall, I can't be generous with this Christmas episode. "Man in the Fallout Shelter" beats this one hands down, despite the fact that Jack's kisses are going to a random Canadian masseuse through a glass barrier. That episode had, well, heart--and it was all about the Squints, as it should be.

Finally, I wanted to throw something heavy at my TV when I saw Sweets come up in the opening credits behind TJ. I'm thinking, "This guy is here to steal screen time from my favorite character! Die, Sweets, DIE!!!" I'm going to hate this character on principal alone.
word count: 268

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

begolden wrote:Two splendid recaps, ladies.
Thank you kindly ma'am. *curtsey*
begolden wrote: This scene came directly after the big B/B kiss scene. I can't help but think the writers didn't want to overshadow B/B's dull kiss by an authentically passionate one between Jack and Angela--hence the cheek kiss instead.
Mmm. And yet...didn't you feel that the little kiss on the cheek said so much more even than the tongue-hockey extended version of the big kiss on the fox homepage (which incidentally warranted much better Caroline's astonished reaction)? There is something so tender and delicate about the way TJ and Michaela work this, and they are so at ease with their love scenes, be they gentle or wildly passionate. A lot of it is in the eyes!
begolden wrote:Finally, I wanted to throw something heavy at my TV when I saw Sweets come up in the opening credits behind TJ. I'm thinking, "This guy is here to steal screen time from my favorite character! Die, Sweets, DIE!!!" I'm going to hate this character on principle alone.
Yes, he is irritating and I'm deffo not happy on his moving deviously into the lab (squint territory), thus affecting the balance of the characters. I didn't like him in the credits either. One should have to work more for that honour!
word count: 234

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

begolden wrote:TThis sweet scene ends too soon and with a sweet kiss from Jack to Angela--on her cheek. I almost had to laugh. This scene came directly after the big B/B kiss scene. I can't help but think the writers didn't want to overshadow B/B's dull kiss by an authentically passionate one between Jack and Angela--hence the cheek kiss instead.
Ooh, that's a great thought. And probably true. As Steph mentioned, the crazy tonsil-hockey kiss up on the Fox site (of B/B, sadly) nowhere NEAR as hot and sincere as the J/A kisses we've gotten. I mean, yes, I'll admit the B/B shipper in me (small as she is this season) thought it *was* hot. But compared to anything J/A have done? Nope.

And yeah, even that cheek peck was awesome, and sweet, and just so ... sincere is the only word I can think of. But leave it to the writers/producers to not want J/A hotness to overshadow their measly non-hot B/B moment.
begolden wrote:Finally, I wanted to throw something heavy at my TV when I saw Sweets come up in the opening credits behind TJ. I'm thinking, "This guy is here to steal screen time from my favorite character! Die, Sweets, DIE!!!" I'm going to hate this character on principal alone.
I *knew* there was a reason I don't watch the opening credits anymore. This would have had my blood boiling, so I'm very happy that I missed this. However, now that I know, I'm pissed. Stupid Sweets. As if he's going to steal not only the Squints scenes, lines, and "trying to be" cuteness, but now he's found his way into their CREDITS too? Oh no he di'int! (that's be trying to be "ghetto")
word count: 316

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hmm... what did I think of this episode?

Wellllll...

As much as I would like to say I loved it, I can't. As you ladies have already noted, The Man in the Fallout Shelter had so much more heart (and structure to the episode). This episode, while definitely cute at times, did not achieve what it could have.

I've been mulling it over, trying to figure out what is bothering me about the Brennan/Booth connection and the Angela/Hodgins romance lately.

For Brennan and Booth, I think the forced Christmas kiss was exactly that. Forced. And not in a cute, funny, fumbling way that flowed naturally within the storyline. Instead, the powers that be pushed a reason, which is why I think it did not work at all. I mean, look at this exchange between Brennan and Caroline:

CAROLINE: You want me to write that letter, you kiss Booth on the lips for no less than ... one steamboat, two steamboats... five steamboats.
BRENNAN: That’s blackmail.
CAROLINE: That’s correct.
BRENNAN: That’s unethical.

ME: That’s ridiculous.

There is no way that Ms. No-Nonsense Caroline, in a puckish mood or otherwise, would suggest Brennan and Booth do any such thing. In fact, I'd be more willing to believe that she'd be direct about the whole thing, if she gave a damn about the topic at all. She'd either tell the both of them to quit behaving unprofessionally -- 'straighten up and fly right' -- or she'd tell them outright that it's obvious they have feelings for each other and they should quit behaving like idiots.

Like the aforementioned X-Files Mulder/Scully kiss on New Year's Eve, forcing a kiss to happen between Booth and Brennan in this way does not make it a sexy or cherished kiss. It makes the kiss seem programmed, stuck in the script in a misguided attempt to have something 'hot' to advertise. It's definitely not romantic that way. It does not honor the characters, the work the actors have put in, nor the viewers who enjoy the relationship between those characters as it has naturally evolved. It could have been done so much better.

As for Angela and Hodgins, I think I'm starting to see the problem. At least, in my view, what is a problem. ;)

Lately, the writers have had many cute moments between Angela and Hodgins. Very lovey-dovey, isn't he cute, isn't she adorable, kind of moments. While that sweetness has its place, it can start to feel overdone. Just as we might get annoyed when hanging out with dating friends who get too smooshy with each other in public on a regular basis, and you want to tell them to take it down a notch. *GRIN*

I'd rather not have too many toss-out lines about how cute Angela is behaving, or how sexy 'Hodgie' is, lines which seem to have no real weight behind them, lines which simply seem like the writers are trying to give the actors something to do.

I think I see more depth in these relationships when the writers give the characters something to do, something more than standing around making light and fluffy comments about each other. I like it best when their actions and words are a natural part of the story, when their words make an impact on each other.

What I mean is ... I've been watching some older Bones episodes lately (especially as I was working on a transcription for LJ's 206_bones site), and what I noticed is that the burgeoning romance between Angela and Hodgins in those episodes had more purpose to their exchanges.

For example, in The Man in the Morgue, when Angela is upset and worried about Brennan, Hodgins talks to Angela about how Brennan wants to expand things and live a 'big life,' like Angela does. He comforts her with his words.

In The Soldier on the Grave, Angela challenges Hodgins to shut his yap long enough to see another side to things. They argued, they were mad at each other (well, Angela more so than Hodgins, heh), but it made for an interesting part of the story and showed the two of them ultimately trying to communicate with each other and resolve their differences as best they could. Fantastic connection, there.

As well, in The Blonde in the Game, there is a moment when Booth is pressuring Hodgins to come up with an answer to where the latest kidnapping victim might be held, and Hodgins is clearly tense and overwhelmed that his guess might get the girl killed. Angela shows up and encourages Hodgins, helping him to calm down and think rationally. She supports him in that moment, and we can see by the look on his face that he is incredibly grateful for that.

When approached in that manner, we can see how the characters care about each other. We can see all the ways they relate to each other, whether flirtatious, funny, angry, frustrated, teasing, or affectionate.

Those kinds of moments are part of the story in some way; therefore, they have more meaning, which is why I think they touch us emotionally. They have something to add. They have greater impact.

I understand that not every story or episode can fully incorporate every character, but I think it's really important that when the characters are used, they have a good reason for being there. They add something special or funny or silly or moving to the scenes and the story overall. I think that's crucial. And treating them that way honors the actors, the character relationships and the stories that have been built for almost three full seasons now.
word count: 965

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hi again, Sherry! Seems that we're posting together (or around the same time) today.

I'm much too tired and yes, a bit lazy too, to cut and paste the parts of your response that I went "YES!" so, so I'll try and remember it all here.

First - the B/B kiss ... I think that all of us here agree wholeheartedly with you in every aspect. It was totally ridiculous. The whole idea, and most of all - the fact that it would be CAROLINE who would suggest it. Okay, she's very no-nonsense, and I'm sure she's clued into the idea that B & B to have feelings for each other. Fine. But to blackmail Brennan into kissing Booth under the mistletoe that she was TOLD to hang? Um ... no. That's not believable one bit. She would definitely be one to be direct, either tell them to grow up and leave it be, or she'd just tell them to face their feelings. Not force them into something ridiculous like that kiss.

As I've already said, I was a B/B shipper in the beginning of the series, before Hodgela took over my life. However, this kiss means next to nothing to me. It's not a cute little smooch, as it would have been, had the writers maybe written a scene where the mistletoe was there *anyway* and they happened to be under it. It also would have been about a million times more believable had the mistletoe been hung by ANGELA, and B & B happened to be beneath it at the party, and Angela had been the one to force them to kiss. I think I would have enjoyed that about a million times more, because we know Angela is a shipper of their relationship, and it's something SHE would have done.

Anyway ... I can get carried away with that...

As for the Jack/Angela moments ... I didn't want to say it, but I think I'm growing ... um ... tired? Not sure if that's the correct word I want to use. Bored? With the whole cutesy moments that last about 1 minute and include them calling each other cute, cuddling, etc. Yes, it's cute. And yes it's hot when they kiss. But like you, I want to see something that advances their storyline. Find that husband, and have Jack confront him. THAT would be wonderful. Or show us them somewhere OTHER than a computer screen. As much as I do love a good Jack/Angela cuddling at the lab computer scene, it's been done, and there are so many other things the writers can do with them.

In a way, I almost feel like the writers are focusing so hard on the B/B forced moments, the storyline, and THEN Jack and Angela scenes. It's almost as though they're just throwing in the cutesy 1 minute scenes to satisfy us, to say "see? We haven't forgotten. They're still in love." But it's like they really could care less.

That's just my 2c on the topic. I'll take the cuddly scenes if that's all we're going to get (seeing as though it is better than nothing), but I'd much rather see them at home, or decorating "their" tree, or doing something as a couple.
word count: 567

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

OK girls. I am a third of the way through 150 reports that have to be done by Wednesday with only 3 free periods at school and a Tuesday night parents' evening, but I just have to stop and say

YES! YES! YES! HEAR HEAR! ALL SO TRUE! IS SOMEONE IN FOXLAND LISTENING TO MY ARTICULATE COLLEAGUES HERE?!

You put it so well, the pair of you. :) Exactly what is wrong with everything so far this season. I could hug you both. And the first thing I am going to demand when we get to be proper moderators is a new hug icon.
word count: 103

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Bravo from me too, ladies. Seems like all the rational fans have found their way to this forum. I'm beginning to have very little respect for the Bones writers, and missing first season more than ever...
word count: 37

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Maybe I should post those comments on the FOX board so they get the hint. ;)
word count: 15

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

ooooooooh. :shock:
Be careful!
word count: 3

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*sniffs* FOX doesn't scare me. I can take 'em. ;)

Hee. Kidding.

I think I know what you mean. I recall you mentioning something about people getting kicked off certain boards because of dissenting opinions, stuff like that. You'll have to refresh my memory.

Do you know if the FOX site has specific guidelines I can/should follow? I'll check that out before I post anything, but beyond that... it's only an opinion. People can trash it if they want, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's just my opinion. I'm not saying anything bad about Booth and Brennan or Angela and Hodgins as though I don't like the characters or don't want them to be in relationships with each other -- on the contrary, I enjoy these characters so much, I want the writers to honor that as best they can. I appreciated the kiss; I just wished it happened under different, better, more creative circumstances. I can't help it -- I'm all about the details. :D
word count: 178

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote: Do you know if the FOX site has specific guidelines I can/should follow? I'll check that out before I post anything, but beyond that... it's only an opinion. People can trash it if they want.
Sherry, I did read all the guidelines about not flaming and trolls and not promoting other fan sites and not posting links to them, and not recruiting, but they don't specify what you should post about as long as it's to do with Bones and you're fair.

When you say 'people can trash it', do be prepared. Because it is such a big board, there are many narrow minds there as well as lots of nice people, and if you opt to diss what they think they may come back at you hard. Kimber had an unpleasant time there trying to explain veganism. On the other hand, there may be people wanting to crawl out of the woodwork to agree with you. I've met quite a few TJ fans there now (always assuming they're not you lot going by different handles!!!).

The other thing is you probably won't want to post at quite the length you do here. 'Long' posts there are quite a bit shorter and more soundbitey. You'll get used to it
;)
word count: 221

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

...they don't specify what you should post about as long as it's to do with Bones and you're fair.
I do try to be as diplomatic as possible when posting to sites like that (especially a place like Television Without Pity). I try to look at both sides of the coin, see it from other people's perspectives, and still offer what I see. At least, I hope that's how I come across.
When you say 'people can trash it', do be prepared. Because it is such a big board, there are many narrow minds there as well as lots of nice people, and if you opt to diss what they think they may come back at you hard.
Very good to know. I'll try to be as mentally prepared as possible for anything.
Kimber had an unpleasant time there trying to explain veganism.
That's terrible. I don't understand people who jump all over others or insult their opinions, rather than trying to listen and understand someone's perspective and experience.
On the other hand, there may be people wanting to crawl out of the woodwork to agree with you.
Heh. I can only hope!
The other thing is you probably won't want to post at quite the length you do here. 'Long' posts there are quite a bit shorter and more soundbitey. You'll get used to it.
Duly noted.

*sheepish grin* I know... I really need to scale back on my wordiness. I'm really sorry. I should be more concise.
word count: 261

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I think it would be a great idea to cut and paste some of our more memorable critiques over on the Fox Forum! We could call the thread "Critics' Corner," or "Concerned Fans...", or "What the hell happened to my show?"

Seriously, I think we should say what we feel over on the forum. If we go together, we go strong! Most fans over there write about two sentences and nothing more. We can overwhelm them with the sheer power of our multi-paragraphing skills! With the talented linguists on this board, we'd blow away the rest of them...
word count: 100

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I think it would be a great idea to cut and paste some of our more memorable critiques over on the Fox Forum! We could call the thread "Critics' Corner," or "Concerned Fans...", or "What the hell happened to my show?"
I think that's awesome. I like the name "Critics' Corner." Or maybe we can find a phrase for it that conveys it's a thread that will contain both positive thoughts and critical ones, so people don't immediately think it's going to be a big bitchfest. ;)
Seriously, I think we should say what we feel over on the forum. If we go together, we go strong!
I'm with you! *warrior cry* LOL.

Seriously though, let me know if you want to set something up -- I'll post some of my comments from this thread. Perhaps try to soften them a little, but I'll still post 'em.

Truly, I think that people here are making good points. We're not trying to be negative. We just want the show to be fantastic, like we know it can be (and has been, many times). There will always be someone who reads a post and 'hears' a negative tone, and chooses to respond with cruelty or rude attitude. But those who choose to listen and keep an open mind will see what you mean and feel the spirit in which you intended it.
Most fans over there write about two sentences and nothing more. We can overwhelm them with the sheer power of our multi-paragraphing skills!
BAH HAHAHHAAA That totally cracked me up, Rebecca. That was awesome. Really funny. *raises fists in triumph* Yes! Our multi-paragraphing skills! Will not be denied!

Heeeeeeeee. I love it.
word count: 290

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Oooh, we are a bunch of old radicals, are we not? Okay, let's start by finding the most fitting name for our thread... here are just a few ideas:

Tough Love
The Thinking Fan
A Respectful Critique

Feel free to jump in any time, I'm struggling here! Steph, you have the best way with words of any of us--give us some ideas!

And then let's start posting stuff. Would it be okay to cut and paste other people's comments that we found insightful? I'm always more impressed by what the rest of the gang says than by my own rantings. Of course we would give credit to the original authors.
word count: 116